PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Decide!

CzepielCrew
09-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Just when I think I have it figured out, I don't. I am planning a trip for 2013 for me, husband and our 12 yr old boys. Our last trip was 2007, so we do not go very often.
I am trying to decide between 3rd week of August, 2nd week of October or week after Thanksgiving.
August - we have more leeway with travel time/ husband concerned about the weather.
October- would be going week of Columbus Day. not much travel time. Can't keep kids out of school for too long. Probably no meal plan deal.
November -travel time sufficient. Last trip was same time. Concerned about sickness (we drive from Massachusetts), we would like to be able to swim.
How does everyone else decide? Any suggestions!
I would love some input

heidi614
09-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I would think August would be too hot. October would be good, have the kids get some of their homework before they go, they could do it in the car if they don't get car sick. Dramamine works or my kids. We always do Thanksgiving Break getting the kids out for 2 days before the weather is perfect and we leave on or the day after Thanksgiving..choose the pool for day of thanksgiving the parks are crowded that day. Happy planning.:mickey:

faline
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Weatherwise, I would select October as my first choice. Since you're working around school schedules, I'd probably select late August. Weather will be hot and humid but the crowds will be mostly gone. The largest downside to late August is the outside possibility of a tropical storm or hurricane.

mgmnut
09-03-2012, 07:52 PM
I would choose late August if school is of a concern. We just got back and it worked out great for us. Crowds were low in comparison to other times, Yes it is hot, but I didn't think it was that bad, it's definately manageable. Just duck into a store here and there to get out of the heat every now and again. We have gone in the summer the last 2 trips.

Disney Hungarian
09-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I would choose late November. It is Christmas time in WDW. What's not to love?

gaffz70
09-04-2012, 10:18 AM
For all of your reasons, we always go in August. We love the pools and water parks. This year had the least crowds of any of our trips. Our longest wait was 15 minutes for expedition everest. Took advantage of am EMH and enjoyed our pool in the afternoon.

Lindsey310
09-04-2012, 11:01 AM
2nd week of october, hands down! Love this time of year! Halloween decorations and food and wine! :thumbsup:

wdwfansince75
09-04-2012, 11:12 AM
All but 2 of our trips have been during the summer...and we love it! Hot and humid, but always some way to beat the heat. Love early mornings in the park...and late nights at MK. Both December trips, we have hit one or more days of weather too cold for swimming (even in heated pools). Park hours are (generally) longer in the summer. Never been a fan of kids (or grandkids) skipping school...I was always a "just on time" student, so a missed day put me two days behind. Suspect that one or more of my progeny has inhereted the JIT gene. And if your child is involved in extracurricular activities, they impact the others involved in the same activities.

Some will caution that August can be a risk to Hurricanes....so we usually go somewhat earlier in the summer...but as a result, August has the smallest crowds of the summer. Small risk, high reward!

O, and no surprise snow storms in the Northeast...Remember more than one White Thanksgiving!

CzepielCrew
09-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Everyone has been a great help!
Everyone has valid points.
I think I am going to take a chance on August.
I like the hot summer and cooling off in AC, pool, etc.

We will see

joonyer
09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
October may have the most comfortable weather, but if you don't get to go very often, then the first priority, as it is for our family, is to maximize our length of stay (up to our budget limitations). I'll put up with a little imperfect weather, crowds, etc. to be able to stay in the "world " longer.

ThanxForNoticin
09-04-2012, 12:51 PM
It sounds like you have made your decision, which is great - hope you have a great time. For us, choice 1 would be Thanksgiving, 2 would be October, and last would be August. We find the weather is just so much better in October and November. But there are many factors involved in choosing the time best for you. Hope you have a fun, enjoyable time!

Gator
09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I never go to WDW unless it's wintertime. August would be stinking hot. Even October can be warm. Can you imagine it being 85-90 with humidity while you're doing the Halloween party? I don't want to imagine it. Unless you can find another part of the winter to travel, stick with the week after Thanksgiving.

arbie_c
09-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't have kids so I cant answer about taking them out if school but everytime I've been to WDW for vacation it has been in October. Weather has been great & we've always been able to swim. Good luck with your choice. :)

DisneyWFan
09-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I think you made a good choice. We are also from Mass & we go in Aug & love it. Our schools are brutal about missing time just plan for the heat & you will be fine.

Disney Doll
09-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Sounds like you've made your decision, but just in case you are still somewhat on the fence here's my 2 cents.

I would throw out August for weather. The heat is brutal. We did one summer trip and vowed never ever again. It's just hard to imagine how bad it is until you experience it. I'm used to triple digit summer temps at home, but the heat combined with the FL humidity is a whole other ballgame. It's just not enjoyable to be outside and you're outside a lot at Disney.

We love October although I've never been during Columbus Day so I'm not sure how much that affects crowds. In general we have noticed that October is getting pretty popular with Food and Wine Fest and MNSSHP. Both events are fabulous and I would highly recommend both. I would say that October crowds are moderate, but manageable. It will be warm, but not oppressive. Definitely good swimming weather.

November is probably your least crowded option. Plus, you could experience the holiday offerings like Osbourne lights and MVMCP. People will be swimming in November. I prefer not to swim unless it's really warm, but pools are heated and there will be plenty of swimmers year round.

Since you will have ample time in November I think that's your best option. Either way I hope you have a great trip! :mickey: