PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth going down a day early?

DisneyGlutton
09-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I am planning a trip in early Dec :santa3: and will be meeting my bff (best friend forever) down there. Since we will be flying down separately, I am considering going down a day early. Do you think its worth the extra $200 or so for hotel/food? I've never been to WDW (or any park for that matter) by myself and am a little hesitant about that, too.

P.S. It's great to be back on Intercot after a two year hiatus! :malef:

Mousemates
09-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I think the answer is no its not crazy if the extra $200 isn't a big deal....since you are flying in seperately all the things you will end up doing alone (i.e going from plane to magical express to resort and the4n checking in) would be things one of you would end up doing by yourself anyway...to me it would depend on whether you think you would enjoy a night on your own to decompress or if you would just end up feeling lonesome.

Dsnygirl
09-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I would definitely consider going down on my own... but only b/c I've had a couple of times now when I've been down for a "girls wknd" and during those trips have had a few hours to myself... and I've LOVED them!! I never expected to, I expected to be lonely... but truly, you never really feel alone at Disney, there is just too much going on, and so many people and CM's are so friendly! Now, I wouldn't consider doing an entire trip on my own -- then I definitely WOULD get lonely -- but to have a day to myself? I would think it would definitely be worth it, if the extra cost is not a big deal for you. Whatever you choose, enjoy!! :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2012, 12:07 AM
I've never gone to WDW alone, so I can't say for sure what I'd do in your situation, but we almost always arrive a day earlier than our original arrival day. We drive, and that 12 hour drive would take our whole first day. We drive up the day before so that we can start our official first day in WDW instead of on the road.

faline
09-03-2012, 11:20 AM
If it's not too harsh on the wallet, why not? You can certainly get a lot accomplished in a short amount of time when you solo in the parks!

Gator
09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Looks like I'm the lone dissenter here. I'm just saying no because of a few reasons.

I think Disney is far better shared. I was down at Downtown Disney and Rainforst Cafe at Disneyland 2 weeks ago. I was on business and by myself. It was really difficult to get that magical feeling on my own. Maybe it's just my personality, but I like to be around people I love when I'm experiencing something great.

Also, you don't want to ruin the "freshness" of arriving to WDW early that you can experience with your friend. Save the exhilaration of hitting Space Mt for the first time of the trip until you can be together. That's my opinion.

Now, if you want to stay a day extra at the end - that I might consider. Maybe.:D

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-03-2012, 01:01 PM
If the cash is not a big deal, then I would do it... I love to do things alone and explore, and then you could sort of "get the lay of the land" so to speak and have an idea where you two might want to start out....

DisneyGlutton
09-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the input!:mickey:

disneymom2000
09-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Not at all a dumb idea. Getting there and savoring that first "I'm back and life is good" feeling all to yourself. Gives you time to sit in your room and go over all the itinerary in a relaxed atmosphere and verify your trip. :secret:So did you decide to go down a day earlier or wait on your friend?

DisneyGlutton
09-05-2012, 04:21 PM
So did you decide to go down a day earlier or wait on your friend?

Honestly, I don't know! You all made good points, including Gator's dissent. While going down a day early should be a no brainer as I have the money, I am also really nervous that I won't enjoy the World alone. If I take into account flight times, I am leaning towards going down a day earlier; flights from Cleveland to Orlando arrive at either 11:30 am or 6:30 pm. Since 11:30am would get me to Pop Century well before check-in, it seems kind of dumb to take it. 6:30 would get me in too late to do anything that night, but if I go down a day early, I have a lot of time the next morning/afternoon to enjoy before my best friend gets in.

buzznwoodysmom
09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Honestly, I don't know! You all made good points, including Gator's dissent. While going down a day early should be a no brainer as I have the money, I am also really nervous that I won't enjoy the World alone. If I take into account flight times, I am leaning towards going down a day earlier; flights from Cleveland to Orlando arrive at either 11:30 am or 6:30 pm. Since 11:30am would get me to Pop Century well before check-in, it seems kind of dumb to take it. 6:30 would get me in too late to do anything that night, but if I go down a day early, I have a lot of time the next morning/afternoon to enjoy before my best friend gets in.

Even if you arrive before check in there's lots to do while you wait for your room, and you might be lucky enough to have your room ready when you get there. I would either spend some time at the pool, have lunch in the food court, check out the gift shop, walk around. Or I'd hop a bus to DTD for lunch, or a snack, and some shopping. Another fun way to pass time is to take a bus to MK, then either take the monorail or boat to one of the monorail resorts and do some shopping around the monorail. I can spend hours on the monorail and those three resorts. I don't think there is much that would keep me from going a day early, even if I was going to be by myself. Good luck with your decision.

DisneyGlutton
09-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Even if you arrive before check in there's lots to do while you wait for your room, and you might be lucky enough to have your room ready when you get there.

I assume I can drop off my bags somewhere if my room isn't ready? (I looked but couldn't find info on this)

buzznwoodysmom
09-05-2012, 06:31 PM
I assume I can drop off my bags somewhere if my room isn't ready? (I looked but couldn't find info on this)

Oh yes, absolutely. You can leave your bags with the bellhop and have them delivered to your room once it's ready. That won't be a problem at all.

faline
09-05-2012, 06:58 PM
I am also really nervous that I won't enjoy the World alone.

I agree with Gator that Disney World is a place for shared experiences. I've never done a completely solo trip but have had bits and pieces of solo time at Disney World. For example, about 1-1/2 years ago, my daughter and I went for a mother/daughter trip. She wasn't feeling well and decided to nap for the afternoon. I decided to head to the Magic Kingdom for the few hours I had "solo" (We were at Bay Lake Tower so it was an easy walk). Once in the park, I hit a number of favorites and really enjoyed myself. Was it different to not have someone on each ride with me? Sure was but it was also enjoyable. If money is not a issue as you mentioned it was not, I'd certainly go for the extra solo day - it's not like you'll be solo for a long period of time.

Dopey's Girl
09-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I have gone solo 3 times now and have loved my time alone. Sure its a different trip than when I'm with family or friends, but there is something really fun about getting to do what you want when you want.

I say take the flight that gets you in at 11:30 and enjoy some fun alone time!

mydisneygirls
09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I agree with both points. If it were me and I had the opportunity (and money) to go a day early, I would but I might not hit the parks. I would be happy with just relaxing by the pool (reading or snoozing), having a quick dinner and then maybe take a walk around Boardwalk. I guess it's totally up to how you feel about being alone.

figgie
09-07-2012, 10:17 AM
One word....Go! Since I live close by and have my PAP, I often go by myself when no one else is available. I love the freedom of doing anything I want sometimes. I also love it when I have friends and family to go with and I enjoy doing whatever anyone else wants without the longing to just do what I want because I can do that anytime. You have the best of both with this opportunity. Go and do your must do's before your friend joins you and then you can enjoy the rest of your time with your friend without feeling preasured by that "I have to do this" feeling. You can then just enjoy everything!!! Go early!:D

MargaretMessler
09-07-2012, 10:45 AM
As long as the $200 spent for the extra night isn't going to mean missing out on something you might share once your friend joins you (i.e. a special tour, or a special dinner out) then I say go for it. Especially if you end up grabbing an early morning flight in, then you have an ENTIRE DAY on your own, plus whatever time the next day until your friend flies in.

rnin02
09-13-2012, 07:13 AM
I say go down a day early on the 11:30 flight. I just spent a day and a half on a "me" trip to NYC, and the alone time was fabulous! So nice to do whatever I wanted to do, whenever I wanted to do it. Plus you won't be tired your first day together from rushing to the airport in the morning, flying down, etc.