PDA

View Full Version : Is there a need to carry cash???

faberj
08-31-2012, 10:29 AM
I am just wondering if we would need cash for anything on our upcoming trip in November???

The trip will be paid in full before we leave.
I will have my Disney Visa along with my debit card and a few gift cards for purchases.

Do all merchants throughout the parks and resorts take the above payment options??

I will have premade mousekeeping and bellhop envelopes with tip money sealed in them as well as quarters for doing laundry.

tink'72
08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
I never carry cash to the parks with me. I do keep some not much in the room but as for the parks all cash stays behind.

faline
08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Personally, I never feel comfortable going out the door without any cash at all on me. I'd probably bring at least $20 with me.

Tigerinvestigator
08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
I think it may be possible, but I would be a nervous wreck without cash....still old school!:thumbsup:

mydisneygirls
08-31-2012, 11:13 AM
I too bring about $20-$40 for tips when we eat since we are on the dining plan and for an extra snack for the girls if they want one. I never carry large amounts though.

VWL Mom
08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
I usually carry $20 with me in case someone wants a snack and the machines at the carts are down. Only had this happen twice though.

Gator
08-31-2012, 11:50 AM
I think it may be possible, but I would be a nervous wreck without cash....still old school!:thumbsup:

That's the way I feel. I've only used cash a little bit during my last 3 trips, but I'd hate to not have any on hand. Plus, I always have to have dollars I can turn into change so that my kids can hit the penny machines.

Won't I don't carry is a wallet. Just a money clip with a credit card, park passes, and a little cash.

#1donaldfan
08-31-2012, 12:23 PM
I guess I am old fashioned too, I always have some cash on me......:cool:

gerald72
08-31-2012, 12:29 PM
I never carry cash in the parks. It's very possible.
You might run into the rare food cart, but that's about it.

DisneyFr33k
08-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Is there a type of card you can load with money (if I brought cash), and use like a debit card while there? I heard epcot had them during the F&W Festivals but have never seen them......

kakn7294
08-31-2012, 01:43 PM
It can be done but I'm leary of not having cash. I like to have a enough cash in my wallet to cover all expenses for one full day because of past issues that we've had. My husband's bank card recently started to be randomly denied - sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. The bank couldn't explain why but it ended up that he had to get a replacement card which works just fine. My card on the same account still worked without issue. We've also had a problem with our room charge having been met without us knowing it and the room charge was denied - it turned out that our balance of the room that needed paid on arrival had been placed on room charge instead of being charged to my bank card. This of course reduced our available room charge amount to about $450 - not hard to reach with a family of 4 and a few meals. Upon return to our hotel that night, a quick trip to guest services straightened it out but I would have had to leave the park in the middle of the day to fix it without another payment option on hand. Thankfully, it happened at a snack cart and not at the end of an expensive TS meal for which I would not have had another source for payment.

faline
08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Is there a type of card you can load with money (if I brought cash), and use like a debit card while there? I heard epcot had them during the F&W Festivals but have never seen them......

They do have festival themed wristbands that are basically mini Disney gift cards available for purchase during the Food & Wine festival. I have not heard that they are available at other times of year.

Buttercup
08-31-2012, 01:49 PM
You could just buy a Disney Gift Card - you'd have to buy it in advance as I don't think you can buy them at the parks?

brownie
08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
We always have some spending cash just in case but have never used it. Everything gets charged to the room or put directly on our Disney VISA.

Elias1901
08-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Rather than carrying cash around the parks, my family likes to load up Disney Gift Cards and use them in place of cash. Personally, I like this (or using a credit card) option more since it eliminates change. I hate carrying loose change around the parks!

Pooh Fan
08-31-2012, 03:08 PM
One of my favourite things about being on vacaton in Disney is having my key to the world being all I have to carry. Room Key, park passes and credit card all in one. I'm so tired of hauling around a 2 inch thick wallet in my back pocket with all the credit, atm and loyalty cards in it that this truly is a piece of the Magic that I look forward to. Unless I'm leaving property that's all I have on me!

stephicakes
08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
One of my favourite things about being on vacaton in Disney is having my key to the world being all I have to carry. Room Key, park passes and credit card all in one. I'm so tired of hauling around a 2 inch thick wallet in my back pocket with all the credit, atm and loyalty cards in it that this truly is a piece of the Magic that I look forward to. Unless I'm leaving property that's all I have on me!

:exactly: yup - this!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-31-2012, 03:52 PM
You could just buy a Disney Gift Card - you'd have to buy it in advance as I don't think you can buy them at the parks?

You can buy them in advance, or at the park (and can reload them at the parks as well).

We usually slip $20 into one of our lanyards, just for the odd cart that doesn't take the GC or the room key, but most days we come back with the same $20 that we left with.

It is totally doable without cash!

Janmac
08-31-2012, 04:02 PM
I also carry a little bit of cash - like the ever popular twentydollarbill.

On one trip the little kid in our group HAD to have a hot dog while we were ordering lunch at Pecos Bill's. Went outside to the nearest food court that had dogs, and yup - cash only.

As others have said, doesn't happen often.

Jan

MargaretMessler
08-31-2012, 07:36 PM
There's always going to be the odd snack cart that will only accept cash, or a day when the credit card machine isn't working, etc. I wouldn't feel comfortable going out without SOME cash. Charging to your room card if you're on property is also an option, though, on top of those you mentioned.

faline
08-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Charging to your room card if you're on property is also an option, though, on top of those you mentioned.

Not if the credit card system malfunctions. :)

Mousemates
08-31-2012, 09:34 PM
cash...i always carry it, but never use it....but it is good to have for a variety of reasons including charge sytem going down, an issue with just your card or room key (we had this happen once), and a number of unlikely (but possible) scenarios where you might end up off property (say an ER) or if for some reason (say a bout of food poisoning or stomach flu) you need to get to your room quickly and choose to go the taxi route.

Scrappy2
09-01-2012, 09:17 AM
I like to have some cash on me. I do not carry a lot but I do like to have some on me. The street vendors that sell the light up toys before the parade we have always paid for with cash. Also the balloon sellers we have always paid cash for the balloons. I have never thought to ask if they take cards. They are rolling carts so I just assumed they only take cash. Also the rare vendor that does not take cards and one time I did have a problem with using my room card to charge on and needed money on me to cover the charges that day till I was able to figure out what was wrong.

MaterializedHaunt
09-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I see alot of people said $20 or something around there. I would bring maybe $40 in $1's and $5. As they said snacks and also for tipping taxi's, bellhops etc... Other than that its not too needed.

joonyer
09-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Typically have charges everything back to room account, but we do carry a little bit for small items/snacks. It's still hard for me not to have some cash, but my teenagers tend to clean me out. Not carrying any means I can tell them "sorry, I'm tapped out". :D