PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done the race car driving?

Dulcee
08-30-2012, 10:24 AM
So I know that somewhere in the world they do the Tom Petty Racing experience. Has anyone done it? What package did you do? and was it worth it?

We're headed to WDW in December for our honeymoon. I'm the disney nut, my fiance enjoys it but also is going along with this to make me happy. He'd probably enjoy sleeping by the pool just as much as my commando style through the parks. But, he loves cars and loves all things fast. By cutting down on flowers I was able to siphon off some wedding money to do something special for him and thought this would be an awesome surprise gift. Looking for some feedback!

faline
08-30-2012, 10:39 AM
My husband and son-in-law did this a few years back. It was the ONE thing my son-in-law wanted to do on the trip. They each did the package that allowed them to drive 8 laps (I think that's the right number) and they enjoyed it very much. Their only complaint is that they were not allowed to drive "fast enough". I think the lap allows folks to top out around 120 mph. Also, you are never allowed to pass your pace car as you circle the track.

disneymom15
08-30-2012, 10:46 AM
It's called "Richard Petty Driving Experience". We surprised daughters boyfriend last Dec for his b-day. He also did the 8 lap experience, he LOVED it. There is now also available an exotic car experience. Going again in Oct for the ICOT 15 meet and pretty sure he wants to do it again.

DisnIse
08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
I've done it and it was SO fun. I don't know what the current pricing is, but we did it using a Groupon a few years ago and it was perfectly valued with the Groupon. I don't know that full price is worth the three laps.
BUT, it was really cool, and a definitely once-in-a-lifetime experience!

lawgirl
08-30-2012, 12:33 PM
We are going in 3 weeks, and I've signed both my dad and hubby up to drive the Audi at the Exotic Driving experience. I did actually purchase the tickets through a discounted site, and called the main site to book the reservation.

Is it a surprise? I would try and find out which type driving experience he would rather have. My dad LOVES cars as well, and he specifically wanted to do the Exotics, as opposed to the Nascar race car. He wanted the super car. I hope its super!

Kenny1113
08-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I have posted this on another thread.

My Dad did the Richard petty one at WDW several years ago and thought it was great. He did have the same complaints as previously mentioned-not allowed to pass pace car, not as fast as would have liked. Last year we bought him one through another company at another track and he absolutely loved it!!!! He found it to be much better than the richard petty one, you do not have a pace car restricting you, you can pass other cars etc. :)
I'm sure he'll have fun, just know there ate better options out there. ;)