PDA

View Full Version : Airport-friendly foods

slheflin
08-28-2012, 02:24 PM
We leave Saturday morning at 7:30. We'll be leaving the house at 4:00 am in order to get to the airport on time. I plan on taking some granola bars and dry cereal (my kids love it) for our morning ride. We've never taken such an early flight, but I can't imagine that we're going to want pretzels and chips for breakfast! Maybe some string cheese and fruit cups for once we're on the plane.

Could I pack a small insulated lunch bag in our carryon to keep things cold? No drinks, of course, until after security. What about keeping an ice pack? Will that make it through security?

We're also staying in a studio at OKW so only limited room amenities for keeping and preparing food. We are on the QS dining plan, so our only real food obstacle is breakfast.

Any breakfast suggestions that are airline-friendly?

Gator
08-28-2012, 04:24 PM
My experience is that it has to be sealed from it's manufacturer, and under 4 oz. Anything else and your at the mercy of the TSA - which doesn't really exist.

MargaretMessler
08-28-2012, 06:13 PM
The insulated bag is probably safe, but I doubt the icepacks would be. So either stick with non refridgerated items, or grab some snacks from an outlet at the airport once thru security.

BrerGnat
08-28-2012, 06:44 PM
No on the ice packs.

If your kids will eat PB&J, particularly Uncrustables, those CAN be brought onboard as long as they are in the sealed packages. We have done that a couple times. Applesauce can be brought if it's in those small pouches (Go Go squeeze, or similar). String cheese will be fine, and can be out of refrigeration for awhile, OR you can freeze the applesauce pouches to keep stuff cool!

The only other option would be packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast. You can buy milk at the gate after security, dump in the packets, and shake it up. Most kids like it because it tastes like chocolate milk, but it has extra protein, fiber, and vitamins so it's more filling.

MNNHFLTX
08-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Just an added note--we bring takeout food (no liquids, of course) in a container through the security checkpoint all the time, so the food doesn't need to be sealed. If it's obviously solid food, they are probably more concerned about spillage or soiling as it goes through xray. This paragraph is directly from the TSA website:

"All food must go through the X-ray machine. Do NOT bring food to the security checkpoint unwrapped, as shown in the image on the right.

Food must be wrapped or in a container. Unpeeled natural foods like fruit are okay, but half-eaten fruits must be wrapped."

You should be fine with the granola bars, cheese and dried cereal. I'm assuming the fruit cups contain liquid, so I would probably avoid those. And yes, the icepaks would probably be a no-go.

Niecyboo
08-28-2012, 09:03 PM
For morning flights I have brought bagels which work well. My favorite are the Asiago or Swiss cheese melt from Big Apple. They give you a bit of protein and are easy to carry. I have also found the cheese or peanut butter and crackers make a nice morning snack and are easy to carry through security.

FiggyFan
08-28-2012, 09:25 PM
We make our own trail mix breakfast, using a few dry cereals and some nuts in a plastic zipper-top sandwich bag. We also bring small boxes of raisins to mix in at the last minute so nothing gets soggy. There has never been a problem putting these through security.

g8rgirl29
08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Fruit cups will not be allowed thru, we've had to throw out mandarin oranges in the plastic cups before. We take granola bars for the plane. As for in the room, have you considered sending a small box of breakfast items and snacks? We always send a box down with pop-tarts, granola bars, pre-packaged doughnuts or muffins and the Horizons Organic milk packs that do not have to be refrigerated(they come in chocolate & vanilla). I also send down our snacks for the day in the park which will have fruit cups, Trail mix, Handi snacks, and drink mix packets etc. I also send down many of our toiletries if we are not checking a bag. I usually spend about $20-25 in shipping but it saves us so much on snacks and mostly not paying for checked baggage. I triple bag any of the toiletries so the scent's don't permeate the food.

BrerGnat
08-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Just an added note--we bring takeout food (no liquids, of course) in a container through the security checkpoint all the time, so the food doesn't need to be sealed.

Just wanted to point out, in the case of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches, since the filling is of the "gel/paste" consistency, they will ONLY allow packaged Uncrustable (or similar) PB&J sandwiches. You cannot bring a homemade PB&J onboard. We tried that once, and had to throw it out. We were told any type of "spread" was a no-go unless it was in its original manufacturing packaging.

sainter
08-29-2012, 11:25 AM
This is a it of a pain but we have brought a small cooler with ice packs and brought along some extra small zip lock bags. When we got to the airport, take the ice packs out, leave them in the car. After going through security, ask for a cup of ice at a fast food place and put into the zip lock bags, then into the cooler. I don't like warm string cheese. :ack::

MNNHFLTX
08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Just wanted to point out, in the case of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches, since the filling is of the "gel/paste" consistency, they will ONLY allow packaged Uncrustable (or similar) PB&J sandwiches. You cannot bring a homemade PB&J onboard. We tried that once, and had to throw it out. We were told any type of "spread" was a no-go unless it was in its original manufacturing packaging.Natalie, that must have been at the discretion of the TSA agent you encountered, as we have brought bagels (spread with cream cheese and wrapped in Saran Wrap) at least twice through security checkpoints.

BrerGnat
08-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Beth, you are probably right.

We fly out of Dulles. They are SUPER strict at that airport.

Tri Minnie
08-29-2012, 01:57 PM
We always take a small insulated cooler bag and have never had a problem. One time I packed an ice pack out of habit. As others have said, we did need to throw this out.

I was surprised to hear of difficulty with peanut butter and jelly. I too am wondering if this might be airport dependent. We almost always pack sandwiches for the plane in a Tupperware type container and have never had a problem. Typically, we also bring apple slices and carrots in containers. Maybe the best thing is to just realize that it might be taken and have a backup plan.

faberj
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
:confused: How are you susposed to keep milk cold if you can't have ice packs???? My DS has lactose issues and drinks breast milk or lactose free milk (can't have soy due to allergies). I was planning on bringing just enough for our travel time but will need to keep it cold somehow.

Tri Minnie
08-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Would you be able to freeze the breast milk ahead of time? I have done this before. There might also be exceptions for extenuating circumstances, although I don't have any experience with this.

Dulcee
08-29-2012, 02:45 PM
:confused: How are you susposed to keep milk cold if you can't have ice packs???? My DS has lactose issues and drinks breast milk or lactose free milk (can't have soy due to allergies). I was planning on bringing just enough for our travel time but will need to keep it cold somehow.

Exceptions are made for breast milk and infant/child formulas

From TSA
Frozen items are permitted as long as they are solid and in a “frozen state” when presented for screening. Cooling liquids or gels used to keep medical or infant/child exemptions cold are not bound by 3-1-1 requirements. These items may be presented at the screening checkpoint in a frozen or partially-frozen state. It is important to remember that any item must be properly screened before being allowed into the secure area of the airport

Although formula, breast milk, and juice is inspected at the checkpoint, you, your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste the breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) items for explosives. Officers may also ask you to open the container during the screening process.
When traveling with your infant or toddler, please keep these important tips in mind:

Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
Let Officers at the security checkpoint know you have these items.
Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray.

You are encouraged to travel with only as much formula, breast milk, or juice in your carry-on needed to reach your destination.

slheflin
08-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I hadn't thought about the liquid in a fruit cup. Apples, carrots, celery, grapes (which may possibly be gone before we ever get to security :)) - whole fruits/veggies then.

The kids don't know we're flying :secret:, just that we're leaving REALLY early so we can get to a park Saturday night (hopefully Epcot for Illuminations!). I sure hope they're surprised!

TikiGoddess
08-29-2012, 07:25 PM
I've never tried it, but someone recommended to me using frozen grapes as a natural ice pack for other items.

Kathy