PDA

View Full Version : Pop question about Goofy play/spalsh area

acetate
08-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I guess this is old news but I stayed 2 nights at Pop Century about 2 weeks ago and hadn't been there since 2008 (I think). There is a little play area with Goofy holding a surfboard that used to have water jets squirting up out of the ground. They were paved over now. The drains were still there but not the fountains. Why or when did they do this? Would have been nice as it was super hot/humid while we were there. Just curious...must have missed the memo. Other than that, the place was fine.

BrerGnat
08-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah, the playground is gone too. My DH took our boys over there the morning we were at AoA while I was running. I told him there was a cool playground by the 70's area, and he couldn't find it where I told him it would be. He said there was just grass there.

Kind of odd...

Strmchsr
08-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I think it was late last year they closed both of those areas. My guess is liability on the splash pad. Too many kids running around acting crazy and unsupervised (which I saw several times). One slip on the wet pad and instant lawsuit in our "take-no-responsibility-for-my-own-actions" culture.

brownie
08-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Is this by the Corvette? It wasn't running when we stayed there Nov/Dec 2010.

Strmchsr
08-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Is this by the Corvette? It wasn't running when we stayed there Nov/Dec 2010.

Yeah, that's the one. Wow. Has it been that long? I was thinking during our Sept trip of 2011 it was working. Maybe that was Sept 2010. Sometimes the years kind of run together.:mickey:

acetate
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Yes. The Corvette one. It used to be a nice way to cool off but not anymore.

Jeri
08-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Wow, that is really sad. We were there Oct. 2010 and I guess we didn't even notice since our youngest was 7 and didn't ask to go there.
I was just looking at pictures and getting excited for our Oct. 2013 trip & thinking how much our very active, loves to climb 2 1/2 (at the time) little girl will love the splash area & play ground.

I guess I understand the liability with the splash area, but the playground is different. Wonder are they taking the playgrounds out at all resorts?:confused:

LandFan
08-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Oh - that is sad! We really thought that area was cute!

Tink#64
08-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I know it wasn't running when we were there last June & I'm thinking that it wasn't in June of 2010 either! It's such a shame, my DS's LOVED that are when they were younger. :(

BrerSchultzy
08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
It is a shame they've taken those away, because they're both still on the map that is up on the WDW site, and we were planning on going there when we get there in 10 DAYS!!! Oh well...I'm sure we'll find something else to do!

Aurora
09-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I think it was late last year they closed both of those areas. My guess is liability on the splash pad. Too many kids running around acting crazy and unsupervised (which I saw several times). One slip on the wet pad and instant lawsuit in our "take-no-responsibility-for-my-own-actions" culture.

That's normally my first thought but if it were a liability issue, they'd take them out throughout the World, wouldn't they? They're still there at Epcot and Downtown Disney. I hope they leave them!

January-2007
09-01-2012, 11:13 PM
So there is now no playground at Pop Century? I remember when I was pregnant with DS and we stayed there for a few days walking by a playground and acknowledging that it would soon be a very important place to know about. That's really not cool. Are there other playgrounds to send little ones into energy burning happiness?

nfrustaci
09-02-2012, 01:06 AM
was there last oct 2011 and they were putting up the fences around the goofy splash area. was unaware of the playground not being there..... it was just up the walkway across from the splash area. my son loved it there. went there everyday after breakfast. i wonder why they removed a playground from the one place that families tend to go to , the value resorts. doesnt make sense unless they expect u to venture across the lake to play there ????

Cinderelley
09-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Sad to hear this. That was a big draw for Pop Century.

Kenny1113
09-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Yes. The Corvette one. It used to be a nice way to cool off but not anymore.

Sorry, but where is the Corvette? :confused: We have stayed at POP many times, but I guess we have not explored it tht much. :( L would love to take DH to the corvette :)

Strmchsr
09-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Sorry, but where is the Corvette?

Walk out of Century Hall to where you are facing the Hippy Dippy Pool. Turn to your left and walk towards the 70s area. Before you get into the 70s area the 60s era Corvette with Goofy holding a surfboard will be on your right. That is still there, even with the splash pad being deactivated.

Kenny1113
09-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks! :)

tinksmom02
09-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I remember seeing a playground when we were at POP a few weeks ago, but I can't say exactly where I saw it. We were in building 10 and I want to say it's somewhere near there. It was definitely by itself, and if you weren't in that area you would never know it was there.

I recall seeing the Goofy area but had no idea it was once a splash area.

BrerSchultzy
09-03-2012, 12:18 AM
So there is now no playground at Pop Century? I remember when I was pregnant with DS and we stayed there for a few days walking by a playground and acknowledging that it would soon be a very important place to know about. That's really not cool. Are there other playgrounds to send little ones into energy burning happiness?

We'll be at POP in 7 DAYS!!! We did notice that the AoA resort has a really cool Crush-themed playground...it's a little bit of a walk, but we'll probably head over there a couple of times.