PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle riding in center city philadelphia

Katzateer
08-26-2012, 12:13 PM
For the last 2 months my 17 year old college freshman and I have been disagreeing about her having a bicycle at college. She is smack in the middle of downtown - lots of drivers, cabs, other bike riders and heavily congested streets. All of her classes are within a 2 block area - easy walking.

When I took her to school and walked around the area, the people riding bikes ride like they are Car- in the car lanes, there really aren't bike lanes and lots of narrow alley the streets.

If she was going to a campus like Purdue or IU I our see her needing a bike. Her campus is small.

She has always lived out in the country. She has an older bike right now. I told her to get used to living in a big city first, then decide if a bike is worth having.

Another issue is she is taking Amtrak home when she comes and wants a bike to get to the train station. It is a 20 minute walk - under 2 miles. The last section of it is over a highway and a river with a fairly narrow sidewalk. I have told her I will pay for a taxi ride to and from the station.

She can't bring a bike on the train so would have to leave it at train station. I wonder if bikes are locked up how long they can left there.

Katzateer
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I know eventually she will take a bike but I am hoping she will decide it isn't worth it at her school.

Anyone ride bikes in big cities? I know some have decent bike lanes. I think Chicago and some of St. Louis would be worth it but I don't think it is a good idea in Center city Philly.

diz_girl
08-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Which college is she attending? I'm just curious. I'm a Philly native and know the area well.

Anyway, she probably won't need her bike as transportation to/from classes, but to other places in the city, like Fairmount Park. There are paths on both sides of the Schuylkill River (the one next to the Art Museum) in Fairmount park that go on for miles, that people walk, jog and ride their bikes on. It's a nice oasis away from the congestion of Center City. If I lived there and had a bike, I'd head there at every opportunity, as it is really nice there.

Katzateer
08-31-2012, 09:32 PM
University of the Arts:thumbsup:

dpamac
09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I've spent a bit of time in that area and am an avid cyclist who is incredibly wary of city traffic. It scares me. However, there are a TON of cyclists around there. Mostly on fixed gear bikes. They are part of the traffic flow and, to be honest, I'd feel safer with the Philly drivers than on some of the less traveled farm roads here in Missouri because they are used to cyclists.

I'd prefer that the cyclists I saw would obey traffic laws but, I'm the type who believes if you want respect then you act respectable. Not all cyclists (or drivers, for that matter) agree.

DisneyDog
09-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Well, maybe safer with the Philly drivers who are used to it. But, I am a suburban Philly driver. When I have to drive in the city, which isn't often and is usually against my better judgement, the bicyclists scare me! It seems they don't pay attention to the traffic, they expect everyone to yield to them, and it's just dangerous. I understand we have an old city and it's difficult to make physical changes, but I really wish there was a bike lane just for them.

dpamac
09-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, maybe safer with the Philly drivers who are used to it. But, I am a suburban Philly driver. When I have to drive in the city, which isn't often and is usually against my better judgement, the bicyclists scare me! It seems they don't pay attention to the traffic, they expect everyone to yield to them, and it's just dangerous. I understand we have an old city and it's difficult to make physical changes, but I really wish there was a bike lane just for them.

That's true of most cities (the bike lane part). The cyclists you encountered were probably mostly the fixie riders who are...um...arrogant. But a lot of the pedestrians do the same thing. But so do a lot of drivers. And you're right, it's the experienced downtown drivers. But, my experience was that during rush hour there was a good symbiosis between the cyclists and drivers. Who both had very flexible ideas of traffic laws...

One of my clients is on Arch Street and I usually stay in the 17th and Chestnut area. It's chaotic, but everyone yells and honks at each other. I'd be fine riding there, though I'd stop at traffic signals (If you want to be respected, you have to be respectable).

I'm betting most of the riding she wants to do is south of city hall where the driving is much different than it is around, say Broad and Vine. That area is very, very bike culture oriented for that style of riding. I saw a lot of crazy cyclists and a lot of very calm, casual cyclists. I know I'm not selling it well, but seriously, it worked.

SBETigg
09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm ignorant on the bike issue, but just want to add my sympathy on having a parental difference of opinion with a college kid. It's hard. You want to let them grow up and make their own decisions, but you often feel differently or would make different choices. Sometimes it's hard to stand back and let them go. And sometimes, you really do know best. Good luck with this one.

Katzateer
09-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I am glad for now she has stopped asking. I had a relative that was an avid biker and riding in a city scares me. He was with 2 of his best friends riding one time and a car wiped out the 2 friends ahead of him. One was killed and one seriously injured. Also, in another city, he was hit, but lucky his bike took most of the damage. I will take my chances walking, thank you.

Cinderelley
09-18-2012, 03:15 AM
if it comes up again, maybe you should go there and see it for yourself. The reality may not be nearly as bad as you imagine.

PirateLover
09-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Off the top of my head I can't recall how many designated bike lanes there are in the UofArts area, but I will say that over recent years Philly has been bending over backwards to create bike lanes, and they spent a lot of money on a "Share the Road" campaign. As a driver, I only find bikes to be an issue on small streets, where there is no bike lane and they swerve in and out of the main lane of traffic instead of hugging the curb, and on large streets where I have to cross over the bike lane to make a right turn. There is one area by my parents' (Delaware Ave/Front St/Washington Ave) where it seems to be happening more frequently that drivers can't make a (legal) right turn on red because the cyclists are blocking the way...they either don't stop and almost get themselves run over, or they stop to far in the intersection, preventing the turn. Those kind of things bug me...I'm going out of my way to pay attention to you so as not to run you over, the least you could do is pay attention yourself. I will say majority of the time I don't have any issues.