PDA

View Full Version : Trip Review - Poly CL

VWL Mom
08-26-2012, 09:46 AM
There's an old saying "home is where your heart is" and for us the Poly isn't it. My boys wanted to try it so I booked it for our trip and upgraded to club level as a surprise for them.

As I was paying the driver upon arrival at the hotel, the bellman started taking our luggage and putting it on the cart and headed to the front desk. When I saw what he was doing I ran over and explained that we were staying CL and didn't need to go to the front desk. He took the luggage off the cart and walked away...aloha to you too!

So there we stood with our luggage, after a short wait a woman approached us, took our name, and confirmed we needed to go to Hawaii to check in. There were no golf carts available so we carried our luggage (plus a case of water) and off we went.

There were two cms at Hawaii, both were too busy to look up and acknowledge our arrival. Finally one looked up, aloha! I had requested first floor during online check in but unfortunately we were put on the second floor with no balcony. I requested a change but nothing in garden view would be available until after 10P??? I though of paying to upgrade but at this point I was so done with the whole thing. I honestly believe the 2nd floor rooms should be a separate category at a lower rate; deluxe rooms IMO should have balconies.

The room was lovely but dark; I can definitely see why Hawaii is going down for a refurb. People say WL is dark, this was worse. I did like the way the closets are setup with the light coming through the doors, very pretty. I also thought the bathroom was well done.

I thought the club offerings were nice enough but nothing great. I'm a big coffee drinker so I was in and out a lot to grab a coffee and frequently heard about things being empty (never knew uncrustables were such a big seller) and not refilled. The chef was very nice but other than that, eh. I did talk with a couple that stays there every year and they commented there were a lot of trainees, service was subpar, and it was a shame that this was our first impression.

Housekeeping was awesome, each and every housekeeper I encountered was polite, friendly, and helpful. The room was very well kept. We did have one problem with a bathing suit gone missing during turn down service, I stopped by their little nook in the morning and within 15 minutes the suit was returned. This was the only person I felt went out of their way during the entire stay, maybe some of them should be trained for the front desk.

All in all I'm glad we gave it a try but won't be rushing back anytime soon. In the end we rated it a 5 out 10, disappointing at best.

faline
08-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Have never stayed club level at the Poly but it has long been my favorite resort. Sorry it was a disappointment for you!

January-2007
08-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for reporting.

Lindsey310
08-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Sorry your experience wasn't magical. Did you ever end up speaking to a manager? Thanks for the report.

EpcotChic23
08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Sorry about that. We never stayed in CL but we stay at the Poly all the time. This past June we requested a first floor room and the CM explained to me that the hotel was running at 100% capacity and they could not give us a first room at all, (and not in a nice tone).

VWL Mom
08-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Did you ever end up speaking to a manager?

I actually did speak with a manager but about a CM we saw treat a group of people very badly as we walked through the lobby. I was appalled.

Never got to my own issues though :blush:. I'm thinking of writing a letter just to make them aware.

AgentC
08-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Sorry, you had a bad experience. I have only stayed at the Polynesian once. It was fine but I haven't been in a rush to repeat it.

mouseketeer mom
08-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Wow,
I'm so sorry your stay at Poly Club wasn't what you hoped for. We just returned from the same stay the first week of August, and it was as wonderful as ever, and we even got our specific room request. That stinks you didn't feel it was up to par. It's awful to feel disappointed on a trip.:(

VWL Mom
08-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Lisa, your ears must have been ringing because I kept telling my kids about your great reports and how much you guys loved it. I think our problem was the arrival. My mom always said you only get once chance to make a good first impression so make it a good one.

I'm glad you had a great trip, looking forward to reading your reports.

mouseketeer mom
08-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Hopefully I'll get to my reports once kids back at school. We were home a week, then left for Disneyland a week later for 9 days, so I have tons to catch up on.
I agree with you about the first impression. So true.

BrerGnat
08-28-2012, 09:33 AM
I have read SO many reports from the Polynesian like yours that I have lost count. Clearly, something needs to change over there. I won't even consider that resort due to numerous similar reviews. The balcony thing is a major issue for me too. Along with the no fitness center, no hot tub, only one sink in MANY rooms, etc. They need to make some major improvements over there before I'd consider it a real deluxe resort.

Dsnygirl
08-28-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry to hear your experience at the Poly was so poor... esp at CL... like Natalie said, I've read so many reviews like yours (except for Lisa's - she has the best luck!! :thumbsup:) that we've never opted to try it, either. Hopefully some refurbs will help, maybe we'll consider it then...

Guessing your next trip will be back to WL?? :cloud9: (We've never been, are dying to try it, and love your reports from there!! :) 0

Dopey's Girl
09-01-2012, 09:51 AM
What a bummer! I love the look and location of the Poly, but have heard some unfavorable things about the service and such as well that has kept me from really considering it.

Janmac
09-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking of writing a letter just to make them aware.

Please do write them a letter. I did after our stay at the Poly was less than deluxe. I waited until I got home to complain, because my main reason in writing was that if they don't know what's broken, they can't fix it. Fixing the problem being the point.

I agree that WL and VWL are nowhere near as dark as the Poly is now. And a much better value for the money.

Jan

VWL Mom
09-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Please do write them a letter. I did after our stay at the Poly was less than deluxe. I waited until I got home to complain, because my main reason in writing was that if they don't know what's broken, they can't fix it. Fixing the problem being the point.

Jan

I felt pretty much the same way. I did email them and received a phone call from them the next evening. The CM was very nice, they have gotten other complaints regarding the Poly and are realizing something's wrong.

The 2nd floor CL without a balcony is something that's supposed to be addressed during the refurb but he had no idea how. They were built this way so the balcony wouldn't hinder the evil spirits?!

He was particularly grateful that I spoke highly of housekeeping. He feels that they can play such an important part of one's trip and are quite ofter the unsung heros.

We've already decided it will be back to WL for us next August. He did offer to comp one night CL on a future stay so that's where we'll be.

Janmac
09-02-2012, 05:22 PM
He did offer to comp one night CL on a future stay so that's where we'll be.

Good deal. I also got a follow up phone call and comped one night which I wasn't looking for.

I wasn't sure how much I was actually heard, but at least I got a phone call and could speak to someone.

Thanks for your trip report.

Jan