PDA

View Full Version : The Cone of Uncertainty.......

Hull-onian
08-26-2012, 07:03 AM
I'm watching the weather now, and it looks like Isaac decided to go west.......good........

Strmchsr
08-26-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm watching the weather now, and it looks like Isaac decided to go west.......good........

Actually, not good. Yes, it means less rain for WDW, but it also means Isaac will be over more open water with the chance to become a very dangerous hurricane. I would much rather see one rainy slightly windy day at WDW than what may possibly happen with Isaac.

buzznwoodysmom
08-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Since I live to the west of Isaac's current location......I say NOT good!

eandrsmom
08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Not good at all! As it moves west, I anticipate family and friends from New Orleans getting really nervous. I don't think they want the levee systems tested again. (Especially so close to the anniversary of Katrina.)

Disney Hungarian
08-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Not good. I am running from this storm.

eandrsmom
08-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Thoughts are with you. I've been in that situation, stay safe.

Strmchsr
08-26-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't think they want the levee systems tested again. (Especially so close to the anniversary of Katrina.)

IF the storm hits New Orleans (and that's a huge if) it will be almost identical to Katrina in strength and could hit on the exact anniversary (Aug 29). Talk about Deja Vu.

MizMissy
08-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Since I live to the west of Isaac's current location......I say NOT good!

Exactly!! We are supposed to leave for San Antonio on Wednesday evening. Since we have a home, a camp, 2 dogs and elderly parents, we cannot just evacuate west and go on our trip.
I really need a vacation ... even if it's short one!

MizMissy
08-26-2012, 02:25 PM
IF the storm hits New Orleans (and that's a huge if) it will be almost identical to Katrina in strength and could hit on the exact anniversary (Aug 29). Talk about Deja Vu.

Yes, that would be awful. I have many friends in New Orleans and the Mississippi Coast. I feel that a lot of them still have PTSD after Katrina and any time hurricanes start heading in our vicinity, panic really sets it. It's not an easy thing to watch.

eandrsmom
08-26-2012, 04:03 PM
My parents sold their home in Pass Christian after Katrina and moved to Lafayette. We still have a lot of family that rebuilt in New Orleans. If it moves any further west, I'm expecting house guests headed this way. So many lost so much during Katrina. I can't even imagine having to go through it again.

buzznwoodysmom
08-26-2012, 09:35 PM
My husband is Louisiana National Guard and they just got called up today. That's never a good sign.

buzznwoodysmom
08-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Exactly!! We are supposed to leave for San Antonio on Wednesday evening. Since we have a home, a camp, 2 dogs and elderly parents, we cannot just evacuate west and go on our trip.
I really need a vacation ... even if it's short one!

I know how you feel. We have evacuated a few times, but with DH having to report for duty, I don't like the idea of just the boys and I taking off, so we usually stick it out. A few years ago we followed my brother out of town for Gustav since DH wasn't home with us. But then Ike came about a week later and I ended up staying home alone with the boys through that hurricane......NOT FUN!

Good thing I have an amazing neighbor that we can stay with if we want, and should we stay home like we did last time, he checked on us constantly. My mother and her parents will likely stay with us this time, but it's still stressful. Like a hurricane isn't stressfull enough having to deal with it without DH, and then having to worry about his safety on top of that, makes it all the more miserable!

I hope everyone stays safe!

BrerGnat
08-27-2012, 08:03 AM

Wasn't Katrina a category 5 hurricane? This one is predicted to make landfall along the Gulf Coast as a category 1. I'm confused...

Strmchsr
08-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Wasn't Katrina a category 5 hurricane? This one is predicted to make landfall along the Gulf Coast as a category 1. I'm confused...

Katrina was a Cat 5 out in the Gulf for a time, but at the time of landfall it was a weak Cat 3. And it actually wasn't the wind itself that did so much damage to New Orleans but the direction of the wind. Exactly where Katrina came ashore (which is where Isaac is currently forecast to go) forced a ton of water towards New Orleans. The NHC is saying strong Cat 1 for Isaac. Given the dry air currently involved, that's probably correct. However, the potential is certainly there for Isaac to ramp up to Cat 3 if it can get organized.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
We have been prepared for days, and the wind and rain are now starting. Anticipation and inability to nail the forecasting have been trying! Nerves are raggedy. Just ready to get it over with and see what we are dealing with. Going to my happy place while we still have power, as you can see!
:hide2: :rain: :wave:

CosmicRay
08-29-2012, 10:09 AM
DH was watching the radar this morning and said how the storm isn't moving and that's not a good thing. He said about an hour ago that they've had around 8-9 inches of rain. Prayers go out to everyone in the New Orleans area.

Strmchsr
08-29-2012, 10:16 AM
DH was watching the radar this morning

I know it's a serious issue but just seeing your statement made me think of the scene in Spaceballs. "Sir, that's not the radar. That's Mr. Coffee." "I knew that. I always have coffee when I watch radar. Everyone knows that!" :D

DizHawk
08-29-2012, 10:22 AM
I always watch radar. Don't drink coffee. Nasty stuff.

My DW (Cosmic Ray) says it was a good thing that I never completed my meteorology degree because weather is too much like "the other woman" in our marriage.

CosmicRay
08-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I always watch radar. Don't drink coffee. Nasty stuff.

My DW (Cosmic Ray) says it was a good thing that I never completed my meteorology degree because weather is too much like "the other woman" in our marriage.

I don't mind it so much any more, you help so many with your information. I am looking forward to you going back soon to get your meteorology degree and live your dream! :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM

lol, I get that. I finished my meteorology degree and worked in the field for a few years before becoming a pastor. It's definitely "the other woman" in our family as I do my pastoring job, but keep up all of the meteorology skills too.