PDA

View Full Version : November/December questions

TheVBs
08-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Reading all the questions about the Christmas party has me wondering if we should try a visit that time of year. We've only gone early May, early Sept. and late Sept./early Oct. All of those times of year were great! So, a few questions please....

First, if you go this time of year, what's the best time to go to see the decorations, attend the party, but get the lowest crowds?

I know the pools/waterparks are heated, but when we were there late Sept./early Oct. it just got too chilly to enjoy the water. Do you swim when you go this time of year?

What are the pros/cons of visiting this time of year?

Thanks for any help! :mickey:

Lindsey310
08-25-2012, 08:12 AM
We have only been one time at this particular time of year. We loved it!! We went in December 2011 for 10 days beginning December 1st.
The weather was great ( a lot better than RI!) but I do tend to like it a little warmer. It was around 70 every day. I didn't like how at night it was chilly, around 55-60. Again better that RI but when I go to Disney I like it to be hot! The crowds were basically very low this week and we walked on many attractions. The Christmas party which we did on a weeknight was busy but not too over crowded.
The decorations are so amazing, and it really blows your mind when they light the Osborne family lights in Hollywood studios. It is set to music and I am still in awe by it! Everyone should see it at least once. The only con I could think of was the slightly cooler temps at night. We did go in the pool once at the boardwalk and we did see people swimming in the pool every day (had pool view first, parents had boardwalk view). It's a great time of year to go, stick with the first week in December and you will have a wonderful time. :thumbsup:

Only 4 days left until we go to Disney!!! :mickey:

disneymom15
08-25-2012, 09:45 AM
We love that time of year. We tend to go anywhere between the Sunday after Thanksgiving and mid Dec. Crowds are managable and the weather can run the gamut. We've experienced highs of 80 to 90 and lows in the 40's.

BelleBeauty
08-25-2012, 10:04 AM
We went the week before Thanksgiving last year. The weather was warm enough for swimming, actually quite hot during the days and warm at nights. The crowds are great the further out from the holiday you are. But with planning any day is great - we road all the top MK rides before noon the day before Thanksgiving. Not all decorations are out yet, but enough to get the taste of it.

A long time ago we went the week leading up to Christmas. Crowd levels were the same. Weather was a bit cooler - not really pool weather. All of the decorations, shows and special events are in full force. Highly recommend this time of year!

faline
08-25-2012, 04:02 PM
We like visiting in early December though you should expect moderate crowds at this time of year as holiday visits have gotten much more popular.

Weather can be quite variable. We've spent the entire day at the pool at this time of year and have worn shorts and tees well into the night. At other times, we've needed jeans and light jackets. And, a few times, we've needed winter wear - heavy coats and mittens. You could even experience all of the above on the same trip.

AgentC
08-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Weather can be quite variable. We've spent the entire day at the pool at this time of year and have worn shorts and tees well into the night. At other times, we've needed jeans and light jackets. And, a few times, we've needed winter wear - heavy coats and mittens. You could even experience all of the above on the same trip. :yes:

We go every year in the Nov/Dec time frame. Out visiting are usually in early December. Last year we went in early December. Although we had rain, the temperatures were quite comfortable and we spent time in the pool. The previous year, it was in the 30's at night and the pool was out of the question.

Time wise the week before Thanksgiving is very nice. The crowds don't start to grow until the weekend and you might see both the fall and Christmas decoration.s We frequently go the first weekend in Dec. The crowds are manageable but definitely bigger than they used to be.

I think Christmas time at WDW is something everyone should experience once.

civilmousefan
08-26-2012, 09:36 AM
We've been going the week before Thanksgiving for at least four years. I can remember one trip where it was very overcast and rainy each day. For the night we had planned and paid for the MVMCP, it rained hard enough, that they had to cancel some of the activities. Thats the only time I can remember - other years weather was almost perfect - warm sunny days and slightly cooler evenings.

The crowd levels were low. Again with one exception. At the end of our time at POP, we noticed that the resort seemed to fill to capacity. So much so that we decided to leave on a Saturday instead of a Sunday for future trips.

TheVBs
08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Thank you for the info! :mickey: Hadn't thought of the week before Thanksgiving being a good time, but really good to know if we're hoping for warmer weather. When do the MVMCPs start?

VWL Mom
08-28-2012, 08:52 AM
This year the MVMCP is starting on November 9th.

FriendsofMickey
08-28-2012, 09:01 AM
I have been many times in Nov and Dec. The crowds are busier than they used to be, I would say moderate crowds.
The weather as mentioned can be variable. Most years we have gone, it has been nice enough to swim during the day. Sweater at night.
A couple of years ago though it was down right cold (in the 30's in the AM). We are from PA, so you would think it would not have bothered us, but it is more of a 'wet' cold.

That said, it is still my favorite time to go. I love all the decorations up.

Gator
08-28-2012, 04:33 PM
If you've never been at Christmas, you should go at least once. I can't say it's my favorite time of year because the crowds are up, the dining reservations are harder to get, and the Chirstmas parties at MK mess up the fireworks schedules.

However, the decorations give WDW a whole new feel. Plus the Illuminations-extra show is phenomenal, as well as the Spectacle of Lights over at DHS. Like I said, it's worth doing at least once. And for some people, they never go back to any other time of year.

TheVBs
08-30-2012, 10:15 PM
So the Christmas season starts on Nov. 9th-ish with the holiday parties, are all the decorations up then too? Are Thanksgiving week and the couple of weeks before Christmas the only times we would want to avoid in those months? Thanks again for all the info everyone! :mickey:

RedSoxFan
08-30-2012, 10:48 PM
We usually go Thanksgiving week and love the Christmas decorations and all the festivities. I just love Christmas. That week is busy; but manageable. We did the Christmas party once and it was a lot of fun. We plan on attending this year. My kids find it warm enough to go swimming. Last November, the boys went to the water park.

Dsnygirl
08-31-2012, 01:09 AM
The only note I will add is that if you have done MNSSHP and loved it, be prepared for a bit of different feel @ MVMCP. We are big MNSSHP fans, and had been twice before we went to MVMCP. I have to admit to us being a big disappointed, as the feeling is just completely different. There is just something about Halloween and the costumes and all the stuff going on during MNSSHP that you can't re-create at Christmas. But -- the hot chocolate, the snow on Main St during the parade, a VERY cool parade as well as seeing Santa on his sleigh... and of course, the decorations... all made us feel that we still felt it was worth doing at least once, and are glad we did... but we've never felt the need to repeat it, whereas we'd hit MNSSHP every year if we could. :blush:

jnfr2424
08-31-2012, 05:01 AM
So the Christmas season starts on Nov. 9th-ish with the holiday parties, are all the decorations up then too? Are Thanksgiving week and the couple of weeks before Christmas the only times we would want to avoid in those months? Thanks again for all the info everyone! :mickey:
The parks will be fully decorated by Thanksgiving. We go at this time for the past 4 years. If you want to see the Candlelight Procession at Epcot it does not begin until the Friday after Thanksgiving and MVMCP is not held during the week of Thanksgiving the next party would be the Sunday after the holiday. Like PP stated the weather can be hit or miss last year was warm summer like 80+ everyday, previously warm in the day but jacket required at night. You want to visit that time between after Thanksgiving and Christmas when crowds are not that bad.

faline
08-31-2012, 08:53 AM

Be aware that the tree in the Magic Kingdom does not go up until after the filming for the Christmas party is finished. The filming typically takes place the first weekend in December so you might want to avoid the Magic Kingdom during that time frame.

Also, Pop Warner takes place in early December - not much impact on the parks but the value resorts typically fill up with young football players and cheerleaders which has prompted some complaints regarding noise, crowded busses and crowded food courts.