PDA

View Full Version : Five Days in NYC...IV

luvdiznee
08-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Since this was basically our last day, we wanted to make sure we got a good start. So we got up early enough to enjoy the complimentary breakfast that our hotel offered. They had a good variety of hot and cold foods.

First thing was to get on our bus and we rode it the entire 2 hours through all of its downtown stops. Then we finally got off to go to the Empire St Bldg, Macy's and Madame Tussauds.

My stomach was queasy when I would look down from that 86th floor view of the Empire St Bldg. Top of the Rock wasn't too bad for me, but this was. Maybe it was the Skyride that we did before going to the observation area. The Skyride was a cross between Soarin' and Star Tours. Yep my stomach is that weak.

We then decided to take another relaxing ride on our tour bus. We had seats on the upper level and it was a nice evening for it, in that it was not too hot or to cool.

And after dinner at Dave & Buster's we are back at our hotel room. Not sure what we will do tomorrow before we leave, but at least our train does not leave until 1:30. So there is time to figure something out.

Thanks for reading.

Tink#64
08-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Very interesting about the ESB, I wouldn't have thought it would be different, but we only visited ToTR so I can't compare. But I can see that it could have been the Skyride as I know how the old ST's made me feel! How would you compare the ESB with ToTR? Curious if we should plan to visit the ESB observation level next time? What did you think of Macy's & Tussaud's? Neither of these made our list as we only had 2 full days, but I'd appreciate your impressions as we're already planning a return trip!

luvdiznee
08-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Very interesting about the ESB, I wouldn't have thought it would be different, but we only visited ToTR so I can't compare. But I can see that it could have been the Skyride as I know how the old ST's made me feel! How would you compare the ESB with ToTR? Curious if we should plan to visit the ESB observation level next time? What did you think of Macy's & Tussaud's? Neither of these made our list as we only had 2 full days, but I'd appreciate your impressions as we're already planning a return trip!

One of the main diff between ToTR and ESB is the wait time. You don't have so much to go through before getting to the observation area at ToTR. And ToTR elevator ride is a bit more interesting. Maybe that is why ESB thought the need to have a ride and pre-shows. IDK. But I would do both, if you have the time. And of course with ToTR you can see things a bit easier. I mean like I said, I was already queasy once on the 86th level of the ESB, so I would never go to their 102nd level viewing area.:sick:

Macy's big (8 floors) and could be confusing. I mean it seem to have one floor for shoes only, one for perfume/beauty items and the rest of the floors for everything else. We went to the Cellar where we actually got something to eat. Yes they have a restaurant down there as well as a more casual sit in type place to eat. Plus down there they have a lot of "touristy" type souvenirs available. I was very surprised to see a McDonald's and 2 yes 2 Starbucks there. And other smaller eateries, like Ben & Jerry's and Aunt Annie's to name a couple. But, we just saw what floors we wanted to go to and went there. There are a lot of things sold at this Macy's that our area Macy's does not sell. So DD knows to bring more money next time. LOL!

Tussauds was interesting. I know on another site, someone said "why bother", LOL. But they had everyone from Pop stars, Politicians, Actors, Superheroes and older Historical "figures". Some really did look real. It definitely is one for pictures. We would take one and put it on Facebook and say look who we saw in NYC...:D And you do have to walk up a long winding staircase then take an elevator to get to the top, so it is a big place. And FYI, Ripley's is right next door.

Again, Thank you for reading my TR. I hope there was something helpful for you in them. We too are definitely planning on going again. If all works out as far as who goes, we will be doing a couple of things that we didn't get to do on this visit. Such as the Bronx Zoo. I was really looking forward to that. And we have even staked out a couple other hotels closer to Times Sq, even though at this one, we are only about 6-7 blocks from it.

But we are planning on a June trip, right after school is out and not where you have to wait so long into summer to go. And another thing about those busses, is since they go to CP, if you want to go watch a GMA concert there, they at least take you down to CP.

And definitely if you want to know where I got a lot of my info from, don't hesitate to send a private message (not sure how much we can post here) or just ask on here.

I think for today, since checkout isn't til noon and our train doesn't leave til 1:30, we are going to take a walk back to TS, maybe go to Ellen's Stardust Diner for breakfast. We tried to go for dinner yesterday but the line was around the corner.

Katzateer
08-24-2012, 10:16 PM
The buses are nice -we have taken them in Washington dc and I have a ticket for the one in Philadelphia I will use soon. May have to try the NYC tour in September.

Thanks for your reports:thumbsup:

Katzateer
08-25-2012, 12:34 PM
What did you think of Macy's Neither of these made our list as we only had 2 full days, but I'd appreciate your impressions as we're already planning a return trip!

We have been into that Macy's 3 or 4 times - twice during Christmas season. It is enormous and fun to go in - but very confusing and I get turned around easily in there. If you can make it forthe Christmas decorations it is beautiful!

Tink#64
08-26-2012, 03:01 AM
All very cool! Thanks so much for the info! I'm already making notes, planning that next trip! Sounds like a few more places just made my list! :thumbsup: Tried to send you a pm, but it didn't go though, seems you must be the popular kid at school! :D I've really enjoyed reading your trip reports, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences! Sounds like you had a fantastic trip! :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
08-26-2012, 05:29 PM
The buses are nice -we have taken them in Washington dc and I have a ticket for the one in Philadelphia I will use soon. May have to try the NYC tour in September.

Thanks for your reports:thumbsup:

Also have been on the one in DC. Just glad I opted to use them in NYC. Will definitely be part of the plan for the next trip.

We have been into that Macy's 3 or 4 times - twice during Christmas season. It is enormous and fun to go in - but very confusing and I get turned around easily in there. If you can make it forthe Christmas decorations it is beautiful!

Agree with the confusion part. That's why we just kept in mind what floor we wanted and went from there.

All very cool! Thanks so much for the info! I'm already making notes, planning that next trip! Sounds like a few more places just made my list! :thumbsup: Tried to send you a pm, but it didn't go though, seems you must be the popular kid at school! :D I've really enjoyed reading your trip reports, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences! Sounds like you had a fantastic trip! :thumbsup:

Sorry about the message box being full, but I did just clear it, so if you want to send again, feel free!

But glad you were able to get some info. It was a very nice trip, can't wait to go again. Though the last day when we were about to go out to breakfast toward Broadway area, is when we heard about the shooting at the Empire State Building. :( So needless to say, we stayed away. But otherwise, it was a great trip.