PDA

View Full Version : Cape May Cafe Clam Bake...Menu Change??

Minnie4me
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Hi All,

I just read on Trip Adviser that Cape May's menu has changed.

I read that the salad choices have been cut back, other buffet items are gone, and there are no more Oreo bon-bons and flan...and that the desserts are basically just cookies for the most part.

Can someone verify this?? I have Cape May booked for 2 dinners on my upcoming trip.

Many thanks!!!!

MsBooks
08-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi,

We ate there about 2 weeks ago right after it reopened. I did not have dinner there before the change so I don't know what it used to be like. We enjoyed our meal and thought the food was quite good. We also ate at 1900 Park Fare during this trip and felt that Cape May Cafe was the better meal.

The buffet had crab legs, mussels, clams, fried shrimp, salmon, pork loin, and flank steak. There were mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, pasta, and several more offerings that I can't remember. The kids buffet had mac & cheese and fish nuggets. There were about 4-5 salad offerings along with a cheese plate. I can't remember exactly what types of salads they had. As for desserts, there were no oreo bon-bons or flan. There were 2-3 kinds of cookies, brownies, and a selection of about 4-5 "mini-desserts" like cheesecake & key lime pie. They were in small individual cups (similiar to the Wishes Dessert Party). The mini-desserts are set up away from the main buffet and are located in an area right when you walk in the door.

Like I said, we enjoyed it (husband & 3 daughters ages 7-13), but we didn't have any previous experience with which to compare.

Amy

buzznwoodysmom
08-23-2012, 08:15 PM
For the prices they charge they should have added stuff!!!

During our Christmas 2011 trip Cape May Cafe was the only meal I really felt was not worth the money. Of course they are all overpriced, but this one was a tough one to justify at the end of the meal.

Crow
08-24-2012, 12:33 AM
just ate here tonite.
no bonbons. some diff salads, seafood salad, 2 soups,cheese, fish chowder was ok. beef and pork were a little tough. crab legs, fried cod pieces, salmon, seafood pasta.
cookies, brownies, small flourless choc cake, flan, little cheesecakes were good.
the setup was bad, square buffet. and people were going from both ends..at one pt there was a line on 1 side almost back to entrance. and they were trying to refill it.
for 2 people, 1 beer and TIW 20% off it still came to $80...
yea....i can say i tried it. wont go again.

DizneyRox
08-24-2012, 07:12 AM
for 2 people, 1 beer and TIW 20% off it still came to $80...
yea....i can say i tried it. wont go again.
We ate there my last trip which was a few years back and almost fell out of my chair when the bill came. You are right, even with the 20% off its way over priced. I'm the only one who could get some value out of it, so it's so off the list.

We've started just making seafood at home. I can make 4 lbs of king crab legs and smoke a whole brisket, plus veggies, etc for 1/2 of what we spent last time (4 people).

Breakfast is decent, but a pain to get too.

mydisneygirls
08-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Hmmm, I'm now second guessing my reservations for this coming Sept (we've never eaten there before). I was recently thinking I'd like to eat at O'Hana's twice so maybe I'll see if I can get a last minute ADR there instead. From what I can tell from the menu, my DD's may not like anything at Cape May! Being from Massachusetts, I can get great seafood anytime!

Crow
08-24-2012, 10:33 AM
the seafood was soso...so if u can get good seafood at home id prob go somewhere else. i like trying diff places here. but i go to TD every time, the service is the best.

DizneyRox
08-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Being from Massachusetts, I can get great seafood anytime!
It's not a New England Clam Bake, that's for sure... Don't let the lack of or change in desserts change your mind though, that's hardly a reason to not go, they are all mass produced and tasteless IMHO and have been since the beginning. The soso seafood and high cost is a better reason.

mydisneygirls
08-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I think what will deter me is the soso seafood and the high cost (we're not big dessert eaters). I know something else will open up!

IamBelle
08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
If there are no more oreo bon-bons, I'm not returning. As a person who doesn't eat seafood a lot, that was my favorite item at the buffet. :(

TiggeRia
08-26-2012, 03:44 PM
So are there only 2 non seafood options for entrees now? And the price listed here in Intercot was $26 pp...what is it now?? Maybe I'll rethink my ADRs...I don't even like seafood.

DizneyRox
08-26-2012, 04:24 PM
So are there only 2 non seafood options for entrees now? And the price listed here in Intercot was $26 pp...what is it now?? Maybe I'll rethink my ADRs...I don't even like seafood.
$26? I am pretty sure it's more like $56! Depends on the time of year and if the holiday surcharges are in effect, etc. if it were $26, it would be a bargain. I think even Trails End is above that now. The $26 might be the kids price...

TiggeRia
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Well, apparently that was the price in 2006, according to the menu...should have realized when I was reseaerching where to eat that would have gone up. Back to the drawing board for tht night!