PDA

View Full Version : My Rant on the Be Our Guest Menu

DisneyDINK
08-23-2012, 11:56 AM
I was writing this to post on the “Be Our Guest Menu” thread and how many posters didn’t like the menu. The dinner menu did seem more Epcot than MK. I started replying and I realized I got a bit off topic, so I decided to post this separately.

I just looked at the kids menu (lunch) and now I see why kids and parents might not be too enthused: whole wheat macaroni with marinara (where's the cheese?), pulled pork (they mean sandwich, right?) with sautéed green beans (Eeew!) and mashed sweet potatoes (mom, why are they orange?), turkey meatloaf (Eeew again) with broccoli and zucchini (Vegetables!!!), seared Mahi Mahi (does "seared" mean breaded and shaped like a stick?) with finger salad (Made with real fingers?) and peach applesauce (Dad, why don't they make their applesauce with apples?) and, my favorite, carrot catsup (Eeew!/Why is it yellow?/Vegetables!/Why don't they make their catsup with tomatoes?). It seems a lot healthier than other choices at the MK.

The adult menu (lunch), on the other hand, features a steak sandwich and the Croque Monsieur, a fried sandwich covered in cheese and a white sauce, both served with fries! Woohoo! It also has an adult version of the pulled pork entree and some other interesting stuff. Nowadays I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, a bit less meat, less white rice and white potatoes. It almost makes me want to order off of the kids menu: smaller portions no Pommes Frites, etc.

After a couple of looks, I'm starting to like the menu. I would be interested to actually see and taste the plated product. Will I go? Probably not. Why? It sounds like I'll be surrounded by tables and tables of families who don't like the menu. Whenever there is something new at Disney we all have to at least try it. I think people will flock to Be Our Guest not for the food, but because it is new and shiny.

As a childless adult I love seeing healthier dining options for kids on menus. Since I'm not a parent I can't fully appreciate the challenges parents face trying to get their young children to eat healthier (or at least a greater variety of) foods. I know whatever my parents tried, it didn't work with me.

I think WDW is primarily for kids and families and I love it when I see others smiling and having a good time. What I can't stand is families sad, angry or pouting at a table because there's no burgers, mac 'n cheese or chicken nuggets on the menu to keep them happy.

It will be interesting to see how the menu evolves and if the restaurant is a success.

SBETigg
08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
My problem with the menu is that it's fine dining without the wine- I like wine with my fine dining. But that's the MK for you, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm just not excited about Be Our Guest. I probably won't be trying it any time soon. But that's me.

I don't see any problems with the kids menu, but I was raised with a "try anything" mentality and my kids, though I had a picky one, would have gone along with it, too. The picky one knew not to fuss in restaurants. They learned to try everything but were never forced to eat what they didn't like. We would always pick up a counter service to feed hungry kids later. The main thing was that they tried without making a scene. But... I know not all kids will go along with that. And if you have a kid who will only eat chicken nuggets or whatnot, then there are plenty of other choices at WDW. Just like there are plenty of other choices for me, where I can get a glass of wine with my filet mignon.

If one restaurant isn't for you or your family, is it really a big deal? Should every place have to accommodate picky eaters with a generic not so healthy menu just because some kids are picky? Maybe see it as a good time to leave the comfort zone and try new things?

DNS
08-23-2012, 12:22 PM
We can't wait to try it, but for me, it is more because it is new and looks fabulous. The food is different to be sure, but I am actually glad to get something like this finally in MK. Wine would be very good though.

SurferStitch
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I think the menu sounds wonderful! Shrimp and scallops in a rich lobster sauce in a puff pastry?? Ummmmm.... YUM!!! :cloud9:

And, the macaroni with marinara does have mozzarella on it, so there's probably plenty of ooey-gooey-fatty-high calorie cheese on it. :thumbsup:

mdricks
08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
When I go on vacation I want to eat things I can’t cook at home. To borrow from another site “Food IS a theme park”.

I have always been surprised by WDW’s inclination to pack all the non-traditional American restaurants in Epcot. I secretly assumed it was, in part, a push to get more park hoppers sold. It certainly has played a large part in why I hop.

When “where to eat” questions pop up on this and other boards is MK ever the winner? Is it even in the top 2?

Comparatively speaking WDW hosts the very best amusement park food experience and should be proud of that heritage. Nonetheless, the burger, nugget, pizza crowd is over represented in MK.

I will bet my paycheck to a wet doughnut this place will be packed with families like mine who, otherwise, would hop to EPCOT or a monorail resort for some “real vacation food”.

Although I agree a wine list wouldnt hurt!

:number1:

cer
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I find your comments on the kid's menu surprising as there has long been an outcry on this board for restaurants to have a kid's menu that is a better reflection of the adult menu - at the very least some thought put into it.

There are many restaurants whose offerings are absolutely abysmal for young diners. It is an insult to be on a dining plan only to find that your 8-9 year old is being offered PB&J and carrot sticks and little more. (That is mostly a counter service offering, but the table service choices are not much better.) This problem was solutioned by our family years ago by purchasing the adult dining plan (and therefore park tickets) for my 9 year old. -A better solution would have been to pay out of pocket for dining, but we are getting there....

There may not be the common foods for the "select" (read "picky";)) young diners, but I think many will find the change a refreshing step in the right direction.

MDRICKS - interesting theory about all the non-traditional food being put in Epcot to sell more park-hoppers. I would not be surprised...

E-OR
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm excited to try BOG. I don't like everything on the menu but I'm that way at every restaurant. I did see some items that look good and some that I might try because they look so different and I like to try something new once in a while. I can't wait to try the cupcakes, they sound delicious.

Zippy 1
08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Seared Mahi Mahi is not breaded it is usually seared in butter or other light juice to attain a crisp outer coating with a tender juicy inside. It is usually cooked at a fairly high heat quickly

DisneyDINK
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I don't see any problems with the kids menu, but I was raised with a "try anything" mentality and my kids, though I had a picky one, would have gone along with it, too.

I agree. I think it looks good, but I'm the childless adult, what do I know. The target demo has to be families, right? I was fairly picky until about age 12-14. When I was 13 I went to Les Chefs de France and ordered the escargot on a whim. Since then I'll eat anything.

DisneyDINK
08-23-2012, 02:54 PM
My problem with the menu is that it's fine dining without the wine- I like wine with my fine dining. But that's the MK for you, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm just not excited about Be Our Guest. I probably won't be trying it any time soon. But that's me.

I agree. It is nice to have some wine with dinner, but it I'm still glad there's no booze in the MK. I'm more interested to see how others like it than to try it myself. I probably will, but in a few years.

It does raise a point I hadn't thought of before: many restaurants would fail if they couldn't serve wine and coctails. What will they be charging for the meals at Be Our Guest to make the numbers work out? Disney does like to make a profit after all.

DisneyDINK
08-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Seared Mahi Mahi is not breaded it is usually seared in butter or other light juice to attain a crisp outer coating with a tender juicy inside. It is usually cooked at a fairly high heat quickly

You do realize I was being sarcastic, right? It was a joke about a fish kids' meal usually being fish sticks. I've seared many a fish.

civilmousefan
08-23-2012, 03:23 PM
To answer a PP - the Disney Web Site lists the price range from $15.00 - $35.99. The menus provided do not list any prices. Two things I noticed - 1) dessert is included with all adult entrees and 2) the child's menu says to add $2.00 for the grilled steak, but fails to mention what you are adding the $2.00 to.

Quadstriker
08-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Sounds to me like this place is the perfect counter to the outcry about how bland the kids menus have been for years.

Personally I think it's time for MK to "grow up" and allow an adult to order a glass of wine with their meal. The "tradition" reason is very weak. Every trip my wife and I think "Hey why don't we do a table service in MK for once" then we look at the options, nothing excites us, and we remember that they consider alcohol to be naughty naughty and skip it.

Mfarquar
08-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Very interesting points made, DISNEYD INK! And I agree, Quadstriker!

I, also a childless adult, was really surprised but happy to see the BOG menu.

We won't be back until 2013, but we will definitely give this a try. I really do not like the food at MK. In fact, we haven't done one dinner at MK in our past 6 trips. I really do not care for the pseudo-Italian at Tony's, Cindy's seems to be more for the kids and more about your money going toward photos for dinner, etc. - I'd rather spend our money at the restaurants at the other parks and resorts.

So, while there is no guarantee that this will be GOOD, I think it will be worth a try.

I think they are taking a page out of Universal's book. The Three Broomsticks restaurant at Islands of Adventure does not serve the usual quick-service fare. In fact, they do not even sell soda (I'm not counting the Butter Beer) because it is not in the HP novels. You would think that wouldn't fly at Universal because they really seem to celebrate junk food. Quite the opposite! The place is packed all the time with adults, children, etc. (although they do have mac and cheese and chicken nuggets for kids). In fact, the artwork from Gaston's pub kind of reminds me of Three Broomsticks... I bet we see an addition of some sort of non-alcoholic soda/beer...

I think BOG has a real chance of filling a void at MK for the part of the crowd looking for something a little bit different.

If it doesn't fit the need, we're sure to see menu changes at BOG!

joanna71985
08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I think the menu looks interesting, and can't wait to try it in Nov

AgentC
08-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Checking in from the picky eater planet ;) .
I struggle in general to find anywhere that my mother really likes. She is the only person I know who can walk the entire World Showcase and not find a single thing she would like to eat. :D There are only 6 entrees on the menu at BOG, so it is automatically going to be a tougher place to make her happy.I tend to better with her when we do buffets.

I really don't have an issue with the kid's menu. My picky children don't really like the standard kid's meal's items either (other than pizza :) ) They don't eat burgers and let's be honest the kid's nuggets are pretty bad.

I am usually happy as long as there is one thing my child is willing to eat. In most cases, if there is pasta, I request it with salt and butter and we are good.

I think it is a good thing that the kids menus are getting healthier. I certainly try to have them eat more fruit, more vegetable, more whole grains at home. But I find it a bit disingenuous that you can get a Mickey Bar just about anywhere but the meatloaf has to be turkey.

Dulcee
08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Sounds to me like this place is the perfect counter to the outcry about how bland the kids menus have been for years.

Personally I think it's time for MK to "grow up" and allow an adult to order a glass of wine with their meal. The "tradition" reason is very weak. Every trip my wife and I think "Hey why don't we do a table service in MK for once" then we look at the options, nothing excites us, and we remember that they consider alcohol to be naughty naughty and skip it.

I agree. Especially on vacation I like a glass of wine with dinner.

Rhetoric2000
08-23-2012, 04:57 PM
I think the menu looks rather decent for an MK restaurant - indeed a stronger one than any existing sit-down (not that there's much competition outside the Crystal Palace). The picky eaters (if this is the source of any discontent) are already more well-catered to at MK than any other park.

I concur though that the lunchtime menu seems to be a stronger theme-park restaurant offering than the evening.

I am allergic to wine and so can't really comment on that issue, but is it really that necessary to have it with a meal? Most gastronomes I know tend to favour water over it nowadays anyway.

FriendsofMickey
08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
I am in the boat that thinks the Children's menu looks good and is going in the right direction as far as looking more like the adult menu.
In November, my girls turn 10 on the 4th day of our stay. I have upgraded them to the adult menu (even though I could have kept them on the children menu). The reason, is that my girls do not and never have eaten chicken nuggets and pbj. So, the pasta and marinara was pretty much the only thing they would eat on the kids menu. Often, I would just ask for plain pasta for them. When you go for 7+ days, they would be so sick of the same choices over and over and over again.

That said, I am a little surprised they did not have chicken nuggets or mac 'n cheese for those kids that do like the 'traditional stuff' they serve at most of the restaraunts. But, I suppose the pasta and meat was considered that stapple item.

Cinderelley
08-24-2012, 12:43 AM
The restaurant is supposed to be french, so I wouldn't go in expecting American food. My children would have been happy with the menu when they were young.

As far as having all the "foreign" restaurants in Epcot, that is what World Showcase is about. I don't think it would have anything to do with selling more park hopper tickets.

Alcohol in MK? I've seen people drinking in Epcot. Not everyone is responsible. I'm perfectly happy with not having to deal with that in MK and waiting until I am out of that park to have a drink.

disneynarula
08-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Alcohol in MK? I've seen people drinking in Epcot. Not everyone is responsible. I'm perfectly happy with not having to deal with that in MK and waiting until I am out of that park to have a drink.

I have to agree. There are too many people who will turn "one glass of wine" in a bottle or two. I love that the MK does not have "adult" drinks.

It's bad enough being on the monorail or bus from Epcot with someone who had been drinking around the world. It guess the only good thing is that they decided to take the bus and not drive home. I am not looking forward to the F&W festival at all. I wish it was not happening during our trip.

I don't want to deal with that at the MK too. I know everyone is not like that but it only takes one person to ruin it.

I like the menu and am thrilled with the children's menu choices. I am one of the people that is not happy with most of the kid's dining choices.

joanna71985
08-24-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm glad the MK doesn't serve alcohol (and personally, I hope it stays that way).

Gator
08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
I would say based on the fact that there's no available ADRs for the entire year, people really don't give a fat rat what's on the menu. They're going even if Temple of Doom items were on the menu.

Gator
08-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm glad the MK doesn't serve alcohol (and personally, I hope it stays that way).

I'll second that. It's a family park - why do you need the alcohol to have a good time anywhere at WDW? Any dulling of the senses at the parks simply doesn't make sense. But that's me.

Mfarquar
08-24-2012, 09:23 PM
I totally agree on the no alcohol in MK.

I like a drink as much as the next person (maybe a little more!), but IMO it's simply not needed in MK. I think it keeps a pleasant family atmosphere and the childlike magic of the park. Seeing drunk people or groups of inebriated 20 somethings on Splash Mountain would ruin so much. I think the other 3 parks and the resorts fulfill the alcohol need.

Wasn't there a Roseanne episode where they all went to Disney World and Dan wouldn't leave EPCOT because MK didn't have beer? :) :beer:

PirateLover
08-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Wasn't there a Roseanne episode where they all went to Disney World and Dan wouldn't leave EPCOT because MK didn't have beer? :) :beer:

Yup, I can picture him wearing a fez jamming out in Morocco.

I think it's good that WDW is putting something a little different out there. I was a super picky eater as a kid, and guess what, Disney went out of their way to accommodate me when I had a melt down over being really hungry and not wanting anything on the menu as a 9 year old. My mom didn't even request it, the server saw I was at point break and asked me nicely what my favorite food was. 10 minutes later Chicken fingers magically appeared on my plate. Granted, this was 95, so I don't know if this still happens.

I can see both sides of the alcohol issue. I would not ever want to see alcohol stands set up or bar/lounge areas like the other parks; but I don't think it's so out of the question to have a glass of wine with dinner. No bar area, and only available with your meal. You'd really have to be desperate to book a table and just sit there all night and get drunk. Walt made an exception to his own rule with Club 33, and I see this as something similar.

I will say this, though, it may shock you to know there are still plenty of drunk people in the MK on any given day. People do the monorail drinking loop and then head on over, and people sneak it in in a variety of ways. I've seen it happen.

Mfarquar
08-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Very true, there are people who come on in from drinking around the world who come to play and sober up in MK.

However, I will say I think keeping with the tradition is good. I know SEVERAL people who can sit at a meal and have TOO much wine with dinner. For some people it's only 2 glasses (I see it weekly from casual to 5-star restaurants - we eat out WAY too much). Heat + waiting a bit to eat can sometimes even create unintentional results. I think Club 33 is manageable especially considering that it is presumable people do want to keep this special privilege. An entire theme park is a bit more tricky and security/bartenders/servers probably already have their hands full with the other three parks. Just my :twocents:

CuteAsMinnie
08-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll chime in :secret:

DH and I, DD 19 and DS 16, all looked at the menu. We all think the menu sounds interesting.

DD commented that it's nice to see items with a French flare because after all, isn't that the setting for Beauty and the Beast??

I think the food offerings go along with the setting quite nicely... as does the burgers at Pecos Bill.

My kids never (seriously) ate chicken nuggets because I don't consider them food:laughing: Most parents, I think, really dont't want their children to chow on fried foods so a restaurant who does not offer them (for the most part) is a good thing.

Sautéed green needs are amazing!:D

I love my glass of wine, but don't miss it at MK at all. I'd rather enjoy it when we're back at WL for the evening relaxing.

I do think we will be more likely to try lunch than dinner and I just may order off the kids menu:D

CuteAsMinnie
08-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I would say based on the fact that there's no available ADRs for the entire year, people really don't give a fat rat what's on the menu. They're going even if Temple of Doom items were on the menu.

I think you're right. Look at Cindy's table. Would any one in their right mind pay those prices for a meal anywhere else in the world except for in the WORLD? Probably not.

:blush:

Gator
08-25-2012, 03:27 PM
I think you're right. Look at Cindy's table. Would any one in their right mind pay those prices for a meal anywhere else in the world except for in the WORLD? Probably not.

:blush:

Spot on, what I was thinking. The salmon they served at Cindy's is not better than the salmon I get at Costco, and fresh green beans I can get at the local grocery store. Yet we all spend big money to eat in the Castle. It ain't about the food.

CuteAsMinnie
08-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Spot on, what I was thinking. The salmon they served at Cindy's is not better than the salmon I get at Costco, and fresh green beans I can get at the local grocery store. Yet we all spend big money to eat in the Castle. It ain't about the food.

Not us tho! DD recently (she is 19) asked why we never ate in Cindy's castle. I responded, "because you've never asked, darling princess."
:thumbsup:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
08-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I am excited by the counter service offerings for me and my kids... and they are 8, 5, and 2. They will eat mac and theese if it is there, or hot dogs and ckin fingers, but they will try things, and know to just try it, and if they are positively unimpressed we always have a few PB&J in bag made that morning. (which we do not tell them about and to date have actually only used a few times for the smallest one, and the middle one when she was the smallest) I am excited for us adults to have some new choices too!

Mfarquar
08-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Agree with the previous posters about kids trying new things!

It actually brought a very buried memory to mind for me! It was our first trip to Disney and I was 5. We were at the Plaza restaurant at MK and I didn't want anything on the kids menu because I was a VERY picky eater. I ordered a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly and our very nice waitress said something along the lines, "Hey, why don't you try the jelly and if you don't like it I'll get you a plain sandwich? We have the yummiest food here in Magic Kingdom". It also came with potato chips, which I didn't normally eat.

Guess what? I tried both because I was in Disney World and it seemed to have brainwashed me into having an open mind :) I've enjoyed peanut butter AND JELLY and potato chips (although not always together!) since that day forward. Not the healthiest, I know, but it was a start. Didn't remain a picky eater much longer, either.

Maybe kids will have a culinary broadening experience at BOG :) You never know! :)

joanna71985
08-25-2012, 06:29 PM
I rather like the food at CRT. I've eaten there multiple times now (I go for lunch on my birthday, as a tradition).

Mrs Bus Driver
08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
I know this is slightly off topic but just want to mention for those who would like wine with dinner. I also like mixed drinks with dinner but after seeing a woman fall down drunk at EPOCT I don't question the no drinking policy at MK. While I would never get that drunk at a theme park (and I know many on the boards would not) it's nice to know that there is one park drink free. Sorry about the rant just been around to many in my life who didn't know when to quit.

Disney Doll
08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
I was very excited to see some variety on the kids menu. My kids eat real food at home and prefer to eat real food all the time. They actually like vegetables. We usually order an extra adult entree for our two boys to share (oh the joy and freedom of not being on the dining plan). They can only eat so many grapes and carrot sticks in a week so we have to get creative to find variety. I'm very excited to try the new options at Be Our Guest.

Goes4FastPass
08-27-2012, 02:07 PM
My problem with the menu is that it's fine dining without the wine- I... where I can get a glass of wine with my filet mignon.

It's a guest! It's a guest!
Sakes alive, well I'll be blessed!
Wine's been poured and thank the Lord-
Uh, I mean,
How about a nice cup of tea?

C'mon, Tigg. Do we go the the Magic Kingdom to eat filet mignon? Then again, a cold beer from Casey's to go with that hot dog could be swell.

The wonder of BoG will be how many meals they are going to try to serve each day.

BrerGnat
08-27-2012, 02:40 PM
I give this place less than 6 months before they drastically alter their kids menu.

I am all for kids eating healthy. Trust me on that. However, I am also a parent to two kids on the Autism spectrum who are INCREDIBLY selective eaters and it's not their fault, nor mine, that they are that way. We have been struggling with food issues for 8 years now, with our oldest, and 4 with our youngest. They will eat certain foods, and that's IT. No exceptions. No "trying new things" until they decide they want to do so. Vacation is NEVER the "right" time for them to try something new. Vacations are stressful for them, so they need to know that they can get the kind of food they are used to eating. For us, at restaurants, this means: mac and cheese, pizza, burgers & fries, or chicken tenders/nuggets. At home, they eat a lot more stuff, but at a restaurant, these are the things they will eat. Period. '

Because of this, I will likely never eat at Be Our Guest, just due to the kids menu options. :( This is why it's important to cater to kids who like this kind of food, because it brings the parents in as well.

We just got back from a 5 day Disney Cruise. Everyone knows how much food there is on cruise ships. Guess what my 2 boys ate all 5 days? I'll give you a hint...they did NOT try anything new. ;) Glad Disney Cruise line understands this about *most* kids...you have to offer "the staples" and then you can offer IN ADDITION, the more unique food options.

I see this as a problem with the new Art of Animation food court as well. The kids menu options were just ridiculous attempts at healthy versions of the stuff they were serving to adults. My kids did NOT want "Buckwheat and Flax Mickey Waffles with Fruit Compote and Turkey Bacon." They wanted a REAL mickey waffle with butter and syrup and real bacon, so we bought them an adult one to share...

SBETigg
08-27-2012, 03:10 PM
It's a guest! It's a guest!
Sakes alive, well I'll be blessed!
Wine's been poured and thank the Lord-
Uh, I mean,
How about a nice cup of tea?

C'mon, Tigg. Do we go the the Magic Kingdom to eat filet mignon? Then again, a cold beer from Casey's to go with that hot dog could be swell.

The wonder of BoG will be how many meals they are going to try to serve each day.

I think the rest of my post made it pretty clear that I wouldn't want the MK to start serving wine or beer or any alcohol. I like it the way it is-- as I clearly stated. But with a nice dinner, yes, I like a glass of wine. So I choose to leave the park and eat at a resort and have my glass of wine with my fine dining meal. I don't always drink with dinner, but it's vacation and part of my fine dining experience. Also, I eat plenty of meals at WDW without wine. But, for evening fine dining, yes, for me, there's wine. I wouldn't change the Be Our Guest experience to include it, but it doesn't have me excited to try it any time soon.

So you're right, I don't go to the MK to eat filet mignon. I do love the counter service when I'm there, and I'm happy to skip the adult beverages when I'm there. As long as I'm not trying to have an elegant adult meal.

ElenitaB
08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I give this place less than 6 months before they drastically alter their kids menu.
That would really disappoint me. I, for one, am thrilled to see that finally there's a menu that doesn't make finding a vegetable on a plate — for adults OR children — a quest worthy of Hercules. And even better that there are varied offerings when CS hours are in effect. It's easy enough to find fruit at WDW, but vegetables (besides salads) are more difficult.

I understand the limitations you face when trying to feed your children. However, I would bet that if you went to BOG at dinner time, they would be able to serve your children the items they will eat; dollars to donuts, they will accommodate them. At lunch, you would be able to purchase those items and bring them over. But I don't think the alternative of changing the entire menu over to "standard park fare" is a business model they would want to pursue. Many guests are seeking healthier options for themselves and their children.

As for whole grain waffles, turkey bacon and fruit, that's what's on our table at home. For me, it's annoying to go to WDW and not have healthy choices. At least you were able to get them the standard choices. Harder when you're at a restaurant (like say at the POFQ food court), and you would like something whole grain and all they offer is highly processed food (and to me that includes the gluten-free options) so you're limited to a piece of fruit or oatmeal for breakfast (not that I mind either of those choices).

Changing the subject, what I find really interesting and slightly amusing about this thread is that we're discussing (and ranting about, according to the thread name) a restaurant that none of us has actually been to or seen, and won't for several more months. The passion of a WDW fanatic is not to be underestimated, is it!?! ;)

Cinderelley
08-28-2012, 03:35 AM
I may be wrong, but it seems that I've read threads where restaurants have brought children the "standard" kids fare when it was requested. I'm sure this will be continued at BOG.

BrerGnat
08-28-2012, 08:25 AM
I may be wrong, but it seems that I've read threads where restaurants have brought children the "standard" kids fare when it was requested. I'm sure this will be continued at BOG.

That was not our experience. Unless you contact special diets prior to your trip, they cannot bring you "off menu" items at most restaurants. The places that will do this, such as 'Ohana, do so because they don't offer a kids menu. However, even at Kona, we were unable to get anything other than the items listed on the kids menu.

I am happy to at least be seeing whole wheat buns on the burgers for kids now, and even thought those nuggets look gross, they DO have a whole grain breading and they are all white meat chicken, so they are actually a better option than the old chicken nuggets (which were about 50% "batter"). My kids are no strangers to whole grains. In fact, they really do not like white bread at all and everything in our house is whole wheat, reduced sugar, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, etc. However, on vacation, things change for them and they don't eat like they do at home (for the most part). My younger son inhales fruit at home, but on our recent 9 day vacation, would NOT touch it. At all.

My issue with this particular kids menu is that none of the items are of the "comfort food" variety, yet the ADULTS get a grilled cheese? Why can't they simply offer a kid's Croque Monsiuer as well? They can put it on whole grain bread...my son would eat it. And, isn't Mac and Cheese essentially a french dish? They can use those same "whole grain macaroni" noodles and serve them with a cheese sauce (made with REAL cheese, not processed stuff) and that would be a lot more kid friendly (and more authentic) than the same pasta with marinara and mozzerella that they have all over property! Some simple tweaks would make this kids menu a lot more universally appealing to kids. I think it should not be that hard for there to be more than 3 or 4 kids menu options. This is the real problem. Go ahead and offer the grilled fish, turkey meatloaf, kids steak, but ALSO offer some other options. The cruise line can do it. It's NOT that hard.

Straight from the Adult menu: Pork rack chop with au gratin pasta ....so, they offer the adults "macaroni and cheese" as a side dish, but the kids can't have the same option? That's what I mean...they have the ACTUAL ingredients in the kitchen and have the ACTUAL dish available, yet the kids menu doesn't reflect that option.

For what it's worth, I think the menu looks great for adults. I'd like to eat here!

TheVBs
08-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Really looking forward to trying it when we're there next! :mickey: I am really pleased about the healthier kids choices. Our youngest is picky and it's possible she'll turn her nose up at them. But, that will not stop us from trying it. If the girls don't like the kids menu (even the picky one gets sick of the same foods for several days) then we look at adult menu options or appetizer options, sometimes just a salad and bread works fine. Actually, if I don't like the kids menu, I make sure they get to choose from those other options too. :) Overall, it's not a stress factor for us and we're grateful for that.

BrerGnat
08-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Really looking forward to trying it when we're there next! :mickey: I am really pleased about the healthier kids choices. Our youngest is picky and it's possible she'll turn her nose up at them. But, that will not stop us from trying it. If the girls don't like the kids menu (even the picky one gets sick of the same foods for several days) then we look at adult menu options or appetizer options, sometimes just a salad and bread works fine. Actually, if I don't like the kids menu, I make sure they get to choose from those other options too. :) Overall, it's not a stress factor for us and we're grateful for that.

I hear ya! That's why we won't even consider the dining plan. Too many restrictions. I think we could pull off eating here with one of our sons, as we'd just order him the adult croque monsieur, minus the ham, along with a salad. ;) The little one, though, he's the real challenge. I could probably just ask for a basket of bread and some chocolate milk and he'd be happy, but I wouldn't be.

TheVBs
08-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I agree! We paid for the dining plan once, never again. We're happy to get it free though! :mickey: But, if we do have the free dining plan we'll pay out of pocket for something if we need to. Last trip we were at ASM with the free QS plan. So we were paying out of pocket for the occasional TS meals we wanted. That made it easier to pick and choose from the menus and we still didn't have any problem using up our credits.

Goes4FastPass
08-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Without debating whether chicken nuggets should even EXIST in world, my question is, why are the chicken nuggets at WDW so impossibly AWFUL? Dry, hard reheated mostly 'breading' cruds that are so rock-like it makes sense to call them "nuggets"?

You'd think an operation as big Walt Disney World would have a buyer saying to the kid's chicken chunk corporations, "You want this contract, show me a product I'D be willing to eat."

BrerGnat
08-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Without debating whether chicken nuggets should even EXIST in world, my question is, why are the chicken nuggets at WDW so impossibly AWFUL? Dry, hard reheated mostly 'breading' cruds that are so rock-like it makes sense to call them "nuggets"?

You'd think an operation as big Walt Disney World would have a buyer saying to the kid's chicken chunk corporations, "You want this contract, show me a product I'D be willing to eat."

Um, money?

But, seriously, my son loves those chicken nuggets because they don't have any weird textures within them. He has a problem with chicken tenders due to the slimy, gummy tenderloin that runs through them. :sick: DS has major oral sensory issues, and chicken nuggets are on the short list of foods that he will put in his mouth, so we are fans of them.

If he didn't like them, I'd totally spend the extra money on the adult chicken breast tenders, but he prefers the nuggets.

Pop Centurion
08-31-2012, 12:33 PM
I can't say I've ever experienced any dry, reheated, hard chicken nuggets in WDW. I actually find them to be better than any fast food joints offering.

But back on topic. If I had one complaint about BOG it would be the desserts. I'm a bit underwhelmed by their offerings. They build a "fancier" TS restaurant with some unique food & the best they can do for dessert is cupcakes & cream puffs? Regardless, I'm looking forward to eating there.

FriendsofMickey
08-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I can't say I've ever experienced any dry, reheated, hard chicken nuggets in WDW. I actually find them to be better than any fast food joints offering.

But back on topic. If I had one complaint about BOG it would be the desserts. I'm a bit underwhelmed by their offerings. They build a "fancier" TS restaurant with some unique food & the best they can do for dessert is cupcakes & cream puffs? Regardless, I'm looking forward to eating there.

I cannot wait for the cream puffs! LOL! Just goes to show you that they will never please everyone.

TheDuckRocks
09-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm so bad, I've been trying to find a way to get both a cupcake AND a cream puff without the family calling me out.

Cinderelley
09-04-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm so bad, I've been trying to find a way to get both a cupcake AND a cream puff without the family calling me out.

:laughing:

Victor Kelly
09-10-2012, 06:19 PM
can anyone point me to a page that has the menu?

ElenitaB
09-10-2012, 06:26 PM
There's a general description as well as links to the lunch and dinner menus on this page on the Disney site: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/be-our-guest/

mom2morgan
09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Different for sure. I wouldn't take a really picky child, I guess - but last time my daughter was on the child's menu she was getting so frustrated with the fish sticks/macaroni/hot dogs that she was begging to order off the adult menu. Only place she had a NICE meal on the childrens menu was Cali Grill - but my kids have always liked their vegetables...including the green beans! LOL

Victor Kelly
09-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I see nothing too wrong with the menu aside from needing to drop some of the french words.

We will definitely hit the restaurant for lunch, dinner is a maybe. I am sure Disney will change the menu when they do post meal surveys of the guests eating there.

Judgement is reserved. But I can see issues with young picky eaters like I was when I was younger. I was a mostly spagetti, burgers and chicken kid

DNS
09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
lol - Let me know if you figure a way. As my niece says, my sweet tooth has it's own stomach! :blush:

ransam
09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
just my .02 cents. i like the menu.

and I love the fact no alcohol in MK. of all the parks it is the most family oriented.
last year we went to Universal, and they had a refreshement stand for beer, and it was just kind of strange to see, and looked really out of place.

TheDuckRocks
09-13-2012, 11:08 AM
lol - Let me know if you figure a way. As my niece says, my sweet tooth has it's own stomach! :blush:

:thumbsup: I got it covered! My sister is going to order the cream puff and I'm getting the cupcake and we're going to share. My fellow Weight Watchers will be so proud of me.

ElenitaB
09-15-2012, 05:20 PM
By the way, in that link to the BOG page (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/be-our-guest/) on the Disney site, did anyone else notice something very interesting on a trolley cart in the lower right-hand side of the illustration? Something a tad Remy-like?

JerseyDad
09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
....I'm guessing that all the "fine diners" who will eat at Be Our Guest will be happy that they will now be able to get wine or beer with their meals.

....menu still seems to be not really "kid friendly", unless they can easily fall back on the kiddie staples of chicken fingers, hot-dogs, mac-n-cheese.

AgentC
09-16-2012, 10:47 AM
By the way, in that link to the BOG page (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/be-our-guest/) on the Disney site, did anyone else notice something very interesting on a trolley cart in the lower right-hand side of the illustration? Something a tad Remy-like?

I missed that before. If they do , do that, it would be really fun. Remy is our favorite part of Chefs de France.

MNNHFLTX
09-16-2012, 02:50 PM
I think the Be Our Guest menu looks great--the kid's menu too! My son has always been an adventurous eater and used to hate that kid's menus at most restaurant only have the "standard" items--chicken nuggets, hot dogs, burgers, mac & cheese. We usually ended up ordering off the adult menu for him when he was little.

Maybe the kid's menu needs to be tweaked a little to include some of the more typical items, but I hope they don't do away with the fancier options. I'm sure there are plenty of kids out there that will enjoy them too.

Pop Centurion
09-16-2012, 03:22 PM
The choices are great but seeing the pictures, the portions look really small. I'm hoping they were just for photographic purposes & aren't really that small but I doubt it.
Also today I got a look at the actual menu which shows pricing. If the portion sizes do end up being that small at those prices, Nov will most likely be the one & only time I dine there.

A few posts back I mentioned how I thought the dessert options weren't very impressive compared to the rest of the menu. Well, the pictures make them look amazing but again, they're very small.

But I'll wait until I actually eat there to pass final judgement.

Altair
09-16-2012, 04:05 PM
The choices are great but seeing the pictures, the portions look really small.

If I paid 30 bucks for a steak that small, I'd need a drink. :eek::marg:

TheDuckRocks
09-16-2012, 04:55 PM

When I first saw the picture a while ago I noticed that and then they announced no characters. I guess we'll see when they open.

AgentC
09-16-2012, 07:54 PM
. . .
Maybe the kid's menu needs to be tweaked a little to include some of the more typical items, but I hope they don't do away with the fancier options. I'm sure there are plenty of kids out there that will enjoy them too.

I agree Beth. It would be nice if they had a good mix for kids who are adventurous and kids who are picky. I realize they can't please everyone but I would think, it would be possible to have a couple of both types of meals.

I thought the pictures of the food looked fantastic thought I was a bit disappointed by the dessert photos. The cupcakes were pretty but small. We have a really great cupcake bakery near my house and I was expecting something a bit more.

AXOAlum
09-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I think the Be Our Guest menu looks great--the kid's menu too! My son has always been an adventurous eater and used to hate that kid's menus at most restaurant only have the "standard" items--chicken nuggets, hot dogs, burgers, mac & cheese. We usually ended up ordering off the adult menu for him when he was little.

I'm a vegetarian, along with DS 10 and DD 4 - both my children eat extremely well because, quite frankly, they've not been given a choice otherwise. One of the problems we've always had at WDW is finding good quality food on the kids menu (read: veggies) for DS (who has been considerably more than his sister considering he was an only child for 5 years). I am excited about the kids menu (zucchini is a real family fav) and hope to see changes like this coming across the board.

Of course I'm the same mom who had both her kids fighting (for real) over the last carrot stick at the food court last year, while three bags of cookies sat unopened on the same table! :mickey:

lovin'fl
09-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there will be wine (and other adult beverages) served here. This will be the one and only place in MK.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/Media/InternetMediaType/Dining/BeOurGuest/be-our-guest-menu-beverage.pdf

DisneyDINK
09-21-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm a vegetarian, along with DS 10 and DD 4 - both my children eat extremely well because, quite frankly, they've not been given a choice otherwise. One of the problems we've always had at WDW is finding good quality food on the kids menu (read: veggies) for DS (who has been considerably more than his sister considering he was an only child for 5 years). I am excited about the kids menu (zucchini is a real family fav) and hope to see changes like this coming across the board.

I totally agree and I'm glad parents will have a better lunch and dinner option in WDW.

ransam
09-24-2012, 05:41 PM
When I first saw the picture a while ago I noticed that and then they announced no characters. I guess we'll see when they open.

i must be blind, but i don't see anything.

TinkerbellT421
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
i must be blind, but i don't see anything.

I think they are referring to the lower right corner that shows Lemiere (spelling) the candlestick with the waiter pushing him in a cart. Which is like Remy at the French restaurant. Somewhat interactive.

TheDuckRocks
09-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I think they are referring to the lower right corner that shows Lemiere (spelling) the candlestick with the waiter pushing him in a cart. Which is like Remy at the French restaurant. Somewhat interactive.

:exactly:

TheDuckRocks
10-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Oh, oh! I have just seen the photos of the food on the kids menu at BOG over on the Disney food blog. I am a person who believes children should eat what is placed before them and it sould be something other than chicken nuggets and mac and cheese all the time. That said in those photos this food looks just nasty. :ack:I don't know which looks worse the turkey meatloaf or the pulled pork.:ack: I know I wouldn't want to eat it and wouldn't think a child would want to either. Sad.

Pally
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Just checked out the blog. I sadly have to agree with you. Those pictures do not look appetizing to me either. I noticed that the pulled pork had what looks like a mushroom gravy. My kids would absoutely hate this. They are also die-hard pure applesauce lovers, no-mixed flavours. We do use whole wheat, whole grain bread but not multigrain as in the sandwich. They do not like "bits" in their mouths.

Maybe the meals look better in person. Maybe....:mickey: