PDA

View Full Version : Best Cakes?...Contemp or Grand Fla?

disneykidsince1970
08-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi All - I am planning my sister's 40th bday party and I am doing a lot of research to order the perfect cake for our Citrico's dinner at the Chef's Domain Table. It will be a custom cake based on a theme that suits Nikki (not stating it here as we share this avatar and I don't want her to know what it is!!) We will be 12 people total.

From reading, Brian at the Contemp gets many more :thumbsup:shout-outs than the staff at the GF. Unfortunately, the GF staff actually gets a few negative comments (as seen here on Icot in 2010). So...

b/c we are booked at Citrico's and won't change the venue for the main event of the bday weekend, I would be very happy to hear of any good or bad experiences working with the bakery at the GF - especially helpful hints!! The pix I've seen of the cakes that are made at both CR and GF are simply amazing...I've just heard a few stories that make me a bit nervous about starting the process with the GF.

...unless I get the Contemporary to make the cake and deliver it to the GF?? We are staying at BLT so maybe that is doable..??

Thanks ALL!!

AgentC
08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I have never order a cake the Contemporary but I have order a cake twice from the Grand Floridian.

Unless something has changed if you are going to have a cake at a GF location the cake has to come from their bakery. I believe you could get a cake from the Contemporary delivered to your room at BLT. I think the Contemporary experience go easier because you are dealing directly with the pastry chef while at the GF you go through Pat.

I had one very successful experience with my son's cake and a less so with my daughter's. I think the key is to actually talk to Pat on the phone and make sure she understands what you need. On my son's cake I spoke to Pat and discussed exactly what I wanted. On my daughter's, I emailed since I had already worked with Pat. Pat made an assumption that I wanted their mini wedding cake style and did not email me back when I asked to confirm the cake flavor. However I need to take responsibility too since I should have called and followed up.

Here are my cakes. They are not super fancy since I did not want to spend more than $70.

For my son I requested a Mickey Mouse theme in bright blue. I could have done a chocolate Mickey but did the screen print to keep the cost down. This cake was $65 and it was delicious.
Mickey cake uncut (http://cindysdisneypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/16#10)
Mickey cake cut (http://cindysdisneypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/16#16)

For my daughter, we wanted a mini cake since we were eating my son's cake all week. It is really not one of their custom cakes since it comes in a couple of basic styles. The cake was beautiful and my daughter loved it. The problem was I requested chocolate and we were given the mini wedding cake which included a cream filling. The Tea Room took the cake off my bill since the flavor was wrong.

Mini cake uncut (http://cindysdisneypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/48)

Mini Cake cut (http://cindysdisneypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/48#47)

Overall I did have a good experience with the GF bakery. I would order from them again. I would just make sure that everyone was sure on what was requested.

TheDuckRocks
08-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Cindy, how much would the mini cake have cost if they didn't give you a credit? Thank you for the pictures they are very helpful. We are taking a group of family members down for our 50th wedding anniversary in Jan. and want a cake but really don't want to spent hundreds of dollars for a bunch of cake that won't get eaten.

AgentC
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Cindy, how much would the mini cake have cost if they didn't give you a credit? Thank you for the pictures they are very helpful. We are taking a group of family members down for our 50th wedding anniversary in Jan. and want a cake but really don't want to spent hundreds of dollars for a bunch of cake that won't get eaten.

Without the print of the princesses, it would have been $35. It was excellent. Just not the right filling for a 4 year old. :)

disneykidsince1970
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks Cindy! Looking at your pix, I realize that it was your post from 2010 that made me confirmed my concern about dealing with the GF (another fan site w/ pages and pages of cake pix also mention spotty GF customer service). Both of your cakes do look wonderful - and the mini-cake is adorable - too bad it wasn't the flavor you wanted!

You make a good point abt the difference btwn CR and GF - I guess Pat is not the actual baker - she is an "interpreter" of sorts.

I am planning on doing a sketch of the cake I envision (based on looking at so many pix on line) and calling her to walk her thru the whole thing. I still have some time as the dinner isn't until first week of November.

Thanks again - I hope that some others will post their experiences too!!

Zippy 1
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
We had a beautiful cake done by the GF. I wish I knew where the pictures were. It was dine in 2007 and we had no problems at all. Beautiful design and wonderful tasting. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!:number1: We also have a friend who did a wedding cake through GF it was the most beautiful cake I have ever seen. The details were unbelievable. I know it was expensive but what an addition to there reception they had there:cloud9:

Pally
08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
We celebrated our 18th anniversary at GF Cafe and I had them do our anniversary cake. They did a wonderful job. Pat was the contact person. The cake was moist and delicious. It had strawberries with custard as filling. It had cream coloured fondant and was decorated with tropical flowers. I specifically did not want roses. It was gorgeous. We also had them do a white chocolate Mickey for our two sons surrounded with six tuxcedo strawberries. Very nice job. They absoutely loved it. Cake was around $60-70. The chocolate Mickey and strawberries were about 50ish. No complaints here:mickey: