PDA

View Full Version : What to do during a tropical storm or hurricance?

barnaby
08-22-2012, 12:27 PM
We are heading to WDW this weekend for 8 days and it looks like Monday we'll be running into Isaac.
Besides hitting the parks in the rain, DisneyQuest, or catching a movie - what other activities can fill up a stormy day?

Brer_Fox
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
In 2005, Hurricane Wilma crossed over Florida as a Category 3 Hurricane while on our honeymoon. At that time Disney evacuated the campgrounds to rooms that were available at other Disney resorts till the storm passed. All resorts, transportation and parks were locked down, meaning you were not leaving your hotel unless there was an emergency.

If you are staying on Disney Property you are in the safest spot you can be during a Hurricane as the resorts are designed to withstand majors storms. Disney will keep you posted via messages as to what is going on and what to expect.

We were at the Wilderness Lodge, they had activities for the kids and even had some CM dress up in Characters for photos and autograph signings. By noon the storm and all activities opened and they even had fireworks that night.

So depending on what level Issac is at when it hits will determine what you can and cant do.

I would pack maybe some games or bring some dvd's to play in your hotel room and have a nice day to rest. If the monorails are up... take a monorail ride and explorer the hotels that are part of the MK loop.

faline
08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Yes, Disney will provide you with excellent directions should the storm come your way. If conditions are severe enough, they will close all the parks and will instruct you to remain in your room/building. They will provide ample time for you to be able to stock up on snacks/sandwiches etc so that you have food and drinks for the duration.

If the storm is not severe enough to close the parks, it will be business as usual and you can visit the parks and/or do some of the other things you've suggested.

TinkerbellT421
08-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Could do the dinner and movie at Downtown Disney which I have heard is fun. You get to watch the latest movies while eating dinner. I believe Mel talked about it in one of the recent podcasts, around Mothers Day, I think?

Can do the bowling thing at Downtown Disney, does anyone know if this is officially open yet? When we were there in January it was still under construction.

Can go and see Cirque at Downtown Disney. And then like you mentioned there is always Disney Quest.

Daisy'sMom
08-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Go to Once Upon A Toy and buy some board games. Pack a deck of cards, some movies and stock up on snacks. It will be fun:mickey:

Crow
08-22-2012, 05:35 PM
i was just looking into the weather update also, as I am down here now and supposed to leave Orlando Tuesday
as they said, movies, dvds,games

princessgirls
08-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Last year we were down during this time, and thought Irene would be a factor...
It was a factor all right, at home. Florida never saw anything.
I live in Northern, NJ and the devastation left by Irene in my town and the surrounding areas was epic.
Also, had a moment of panic one evening while enjoying a stroll in WDW...we have a boat that needed to get moved to higher ground (marina did end up flooding and cut our season short) and while our house didn't flood, I wanted someone to be there to monitor things.
So...the moral of my story is, you never know how the Jet Stream will carry the storm.
However, Disney does have a Hurricane policy, and will implement it when they need too.
Good Luck!
Julie:mickey:

mrte62
08-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Our family of 6 got to experience Hurricane Charlie in 2005. Went to MK the day it hit and we were let in free because the parks closed at 1pm. Went back to our off-site hotel and waited out the storm.. Hotel lost power and had to move the next day to a sister hotel in Downtown Disney.

Central Florida was a mess with lots of damage and power outages.

We made the rope drop at EPCOT - like nothing even happened. The park was in great shape. :mickey:

Lindsey310
08-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Even though it can be costly, cirque du soleil is a must see!!! A fantastic show that I love!!! I have seen it twice and would go again!!!

5 days!!! :mickey:

Hull-onian
08-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Even though it can be costly, cirque du soleil is a must see!!! A fantastic show that I love!!! I have seen it twice and would go again!!!

5 days!!! :mickey:
My daughter always wanted to see it, what a nice idea. I imagine that Downtown Disney will be open, just wet........

mrte62
08-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I think you have to note the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm. It is is a hurricane blowing through WDW nothing will be open and everyone best be working on staying safe with supplies to wait out the storm and possible power outages.

ThanxForNoticin
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I think you have to note the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm. It is is a hurricane blowing through WDW nothing will be open and everyone best be working on staying safe with supplies to wait out the storm and possible power outages.

You are absolutely correct. If the storm / hurricane is severe enough, Disney always looks out for the safety of their guests and their employees. There have been a few times over the years where a hurricane has shut down the park and restaurants for a day or 2. We were down for Hurricane Frances in 2004, and we spent a couple days in our All-Star room, waiting it out.