PDA

View Full Version : Good Camera Suggestions

mgmnut
08-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Can anyone suggest a good point and shoot digital Camera? I am looking for something with a good zoom (10x plus) for my upcoming trip (leave this weekend). Obviously picture sharpness is important. Wife's camera is a CoolPix that takes awful pictures even in the best of conditions. I am looking for something that is good all around, landscape, portrait action, low light, etc. Looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ02, SZ07 or SZ19K, anyone had any experience with any of these?? They range from about $150.00 to $300.00.

Itchy
08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I have not personally, but I have had experience with the Fuji cameras. These have been both point and shoot, and SLR types and I have seen very good results.

Some of the Canon's can be a good choice.

I would go to a retailer that has a lot of cameras that you can pick up and play with. That way you can see how well the zoom and other options work for you.

You can also get reviews on you camera picks by doing a search on the internet.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

Disney Hungarian
08-21-2012, 02:52 PM
I have the Lumix DMC TZ5. It is a good point and shoot. A bit odd in the menu though. Buttons are tiny and finding a particular setting often requires sitting down with a beer to keep from getting frustrated at it.

BrowncatP
08-21-2012, 03:35 PM
I have a Panasonic ZS8, that replaced a Kodak camera that could not take any good pictures at night. I am satisfied with the features. Good and fast zoom. You just have to play around with a few cameras till you find one that you like. Good luck

azcavalier
08-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Might I suggest one of the following Sony cameras? The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 is pricey, but super nice. It's the newest model. The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V is more affordable, and is a model on the way out, but I coveted this point and shoot for about a year. Go to Amazon and read the reviews.

In the end, I actually went a step up to a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Not quite as pocketable as a point n shoot, but better quality.

Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic all make very good point and shoot cameras. I know that Nikon and Canon own the DSLR market, but I stay away from their other stuff. I personally own Pentax and Olypmus, and love them. I've had a Sony point and shoot, years ago, and it took amazing photos.

ryca1dreams
08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
I bought a Pentax WG-1 for a 6 day canoe trip in Minnesota. It sustained drops, bangs, rainstorm, water submersion - basically anything you can do to a camera and took great photos (yes, it still works). I got the GPS model so it can record lat/long position on the photo. Plus it comes with a handy carabiner clip in case you want to attach it to your belt loop or whatever.

The WG-1 has been replaced by the WG-2 - same features but I think the resolution is up to 16 MP. It may be hard to find as many stores don't carry Pentax - Target may have them. You may be able to still find the WG-1 online at a low price - probably not in time for this weekend though.

I highly recommend this camera as it has sustained some pretty tough abuse and weather and still works great.

brownie
08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
I love my Canon Powershot. It's several years old now but still does a very good job, even in lower light. The only thing it doesn't do well is low light indoors.

Lindsey310
08-22-2012, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=azcavalier;2293973]Might I suggest one of the following Sony cameras? The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 is pricey, but super nice.

We bought this one for our honeymoon last year in Hawaii and absolutely love it. It's even waterproof so we took it snorkeling. Pricey but totally worth the money.

7 days!!!!!! :joy:

mgmnut
08-22-2012, 11:14 AM
I went with the Panasonic Lumix SZ7. I looked at 3 different stores and this seemed the best for the money from what I looked at. Truely small, light, and pocketable. True 1080i HD Video, 3D photos, 10X opticle zoom, 20X virtual zoom, a few nice effects built in, Panoramic, miniature effect mode, facial recognition, and Suposidly pretty good with action shots for a point and click. Played around with it last night and like what I see so far. It got good reviews on serveral sites. Almost went with the SZ19K but couldn't Justify the 125.00 price jump between the two.

Can't wait to put it into full use on our trip. Didn't want to rely on cell phone pictures

3 More days!! :mjump:

NewDVCowner
08-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Can anyone suggest a good point and shoot digital Camera? I am looking for something with a good zoom (10x plus) for my upcoming trip (leave this weekend). Obviously picture sharpness is important. Wife's camera is a CoolPix that takes awful pictures even in the best of conditions. I am looking for something that is good all around, landscape, portrait action, low light, etc. Looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ02, SZ07 or SZ19K, anyone had any experience with any of these?? They range from about $150.00 to $300.00.

I have a Lumix. It's a decent camera for the cost. Low light is hit or miss. I've gotten some good sunset shots but anything with just moonlight don't come out. But to be fair for a good night shot you need a long shutter and a tripod. They have a nice setting on the camera that will automatically choose the best scene setting for what you're taking.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that it doesn't take AA batteries. But I was able to get additional, non brand, batteries on Amazon that work with it for less than half the cost of the replacement batteries they sell.

mgmnut
08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
I have a Lumix. It's a decent camera for the cost. Low light is hit or miss. I've gotten some good sunset shots but anything with just moonlight don't come out. But to be fair for a good night shot you need a long shutter and a tripod. They have a nice setting on the camera that will automatically choose the best scene setting for what you're taking.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that it doesn't take AA batteries. But I was able to get additional, non brand, batteries on Amazon that work with it for less than half the cost of the replacement batteries they sell.

Good to know. I have heard the battery dies quickly, I may look into grabbing a replacement to carry fully charged as well.

As for the night shots there is a mode on the camera for taking shots at night. I will give it a try outside tonight and see how it works.

azcavalier
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
If you're interested in taking night shots, I would really, really look at a small portable tripod. I just bought a Gorillapod for our trip. For the Lumix, you could get a smaller one. They're only around $30-40, and it would fit in a cargo short pocket or a purse/handbag. You can use it as a table-top tripod, or you can wrap the legs around trees, fences, the backs of chairs,....anything! I'm going to try to wrap mine around a fence in the World Showcase to get some good Illuminations photos.

My source for anything photographic would be either B&H Photo Video or Adorama.

mgmnut
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
If you're interested in taking night shots, I would really, really look at a small portable tripod. I just bought a Gorillapod for our trip. For the Lumix, you could get a smaller one. They're only around $30-40, and it would fit in a cargo short pocket or a purse/handbag. You can use it as a table-top tripod, or you can wrap the legs around trees, fences, the backs of chairs,....anything! I'm going to try to wrap mine around a fence in the World Showcase to get some good Illuminations photos.

I love it! a small portable tripod, definately looking into this. Thanks!!

mgmnut
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM

I love it! a small portable tripod, definately looking into this. Thanks!!