PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Training Show at HS

Asharitt
08-20-2012, 10:44 PM
My 8 year old son is a HUGE Star Wars fan and we are surprising him with a trip to WDW in October (unfortunately our schedules wouldn't allow the trip during Star Wars weeks)... Do they still do the Jedi training show at Hollywood Studios with kids getting to fight Darth Vader at the end? If so, what is the best way for us to get him a chance to participate?

MickeysBestPal
08-21-2012, 07:02 AM
1- Do they still do the Jedi training show at Hollywood Studios...

2- what is the best way for us to get him a chance to participate?

1- Yes.

2-How to sign up for Jedi Training:

NOTE: Recently, DHS has been actually opening to guests (unannounced) at about 8:30-8:45AM (or so) on days when the published opening time is 9AM.
I'd plan on arriving at DHS -at least- by 8:15 so as to be in a better position to enter the park when the gates open to sign up for Jedi Training and to grab TSM FP's.

On AM EMH days, I'd be there by 7:45 or earlier (if you are a WDW Resort guest.)
The line will start forming as soon as the gates open for AM EMH.
How soon the CM's will actually start taking names during AM EMH can vary.

That said,
arrive well before park opening time.
When you get inside, take the child with you to the sign-up area.**

Note: You do not need your park tickets to sign up for Jedi Training so,
if another member of your party is available, you can send that person
(along with ALL of your park tickets) over to grab FP's for TSM
while you and the Jedi candidate child head for the sign-up.

You'll get a time for the child to return to the Jedi stage and participate.

**Sign-ups will be either just past Hollywood & Vine Restaurant, or at the Sounds Dangerous entrance (even inside the Sounds Dangerous building,) or at the Jedi Stage.
Look for the sign-up area, in the order of the above, until you find it.

CosmicRay
08-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Just to add to Mickey's Best Pal, we went first thing to sign up that morning and they told us our son could be in the last show of the day. And we had dinner reservations at another park that afternoon, we ended up not doing it. So just be prepared with schedules and good luck.

:welcome:
Glad to have you here on Intercot, hope you get great help and advice. I always do!

Strmchsr
08-21-2012, 02:31 PM
The only thing I would add is that there are a limited number of slots. If you don't get one you can get a standby slot. You show up at every show and if there are no-shows then you get to be in it. If everyone shows that is supposed to, you don't. It's not a great option, but we were able to get our son in one time that way (had to come back for 3 shows, though).

dizneydeb22
08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Our son did the Jedi training academy last Monday. We went right over to the sign up area and we were able to get a 12:40 spot. They were signing up 20 children per slot. Half of the kids got to fight Darth Vader(younger padawans) and half got to fight Darth Maul. I have to say Darth Maul scared me! My son is 12 and was the tallest one there, but when Darth Maul came out, he started pushing other kids in front of him and had to be coerced out to fight him! He had the red eyes and yellow teeth and was VERY intimidating. If your son is not a fan of DM, I would check and see if he will be there.

They did 10 shows that day...a weekday might be better than the weekend if you can do it!

Good luck, hope the force is with you and your son!! :darth:

Fangorn
08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Half of the kids got to fight Darth Vader(younger padawans) and half got to fight Darth Maul.

This is not the norm. Darth Maul only joins the show during very high attendance periods - high summer and Holidays. Also, the number of shows on any given day will vary with Disney's crowd expectations. That way there is some ability to scale the number of kids who can participate. Don't expect Darth Maul to be on stage in October.

Among other roles, my son is part of the Jedi Training Academy ensemble. He has spent a lot of time this summer doing JTA (he's there today, in fact). The intimidation thing is definitely intentional - especially towards the older kids.

Steve

joanna71985
08-21-2012, 11:55 PM
This is not the norm. Darth Maul only joins the show during very high attendance periods - high summer and Holidays. Also, the number of shows on any given day will vary with Disney's crowd expectations. That way there is some ability to scale the number of kids who can participate. Don't expect Darth Maul to be on stage in October.

Not true. Darth Maul was just there last week. There were select shows that had both Darth Maul and Darth Vader.

Strmchsr
08-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Not true. Darth Maul was just there last week. There were select shows that had both Darth Maul and Darth Vader.

Right, but Steve was saying that's not the norm. They must have been expecting higher demand last Monday.

Fangorn
08-22-2012, 01:30 PM

I don't doubt that this happened last week, but this doesn't happen except when Disney is expecting high crowd volumes. The original poster's question had to do with a trip in October. I was merely pointing out that at that time, while possible, it is highly unlikely that Darth Maul will be a part of the show.

Steve

dizneydeb22
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Just to clarify. I didn't mention Darth Maul as far as a regular occurrence, just to let it be known that it was a possibility. We were taken by surprise by his appearance. It was very unsettling to a lot of the kids there. I wish we would have known in advance so that we would have been able to prepare our son.

We go every August and this is the first time we have seen him. I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking that he is guaranteed...just a possibility!

Sorry if the information was misleading! :blush: But :trooper:and :darth: are there each time! May the force be with you!!