PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Philippines

Melanie
08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Blair from Facts of Life? Jeff Kent? And can't wait to find out who the returning evacuees are. Should be interesting. I'm always ready for more Survivor! :search:

From EW:

A 1980s sitcom star and a major league baseball MVP will join 13 other new players — as well as three returning ones — when Survivor: Philippines premieres on CBS with a special 90-minute episode at 8 p.m. ET on Sept. 19.

Lisa Whelchel, best known as Blair Warner from The Facts of Life, will do something that preppy Blair never would have considered by volunteering to spend up to 39 days on a remote island. A huge Survivor fan, Whelchel openly campaigned to be on the show, and calls the chance to outwit, outplay and outlast a dream come true. “I’ve watched it from the very first episode, and had Survivor parties with my family,” Whelchel told EW on location before the game started. “A friend of mine said, ‘Let’s just film a little iPhone video of you and you can put it on your Twitter and ask all your followers to retweet it. And maybe they’ll contact you and know you want to be on the show.’ And that’s what happened!”

Whelchel even has a strategy on how to deal with her famous past. “I’m not going to volunteer it, but at the same time, even though there are a lot of young people and I’m sure they have no idea who Blair Warner is, there are some older people and even if only one knows it certainly will get around, so I won’t deny it.”

But Whelchel is not the only famous face that will be new to the island this year. Former National League Most Valuable Player Jeff Kent — another longtime fan — will also be playing for the million dollars. And he plans to bring that same fiery competitiveness he was known for in baseball to the island. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder,” Kent said before the game began. “I hate to lose.” Like Whelchel, Kent is keeping his fingers crossed that his fellow players will be unaware of his athletic accomplishments. “You know, there are not many tall white guys with mustaches walking around still these days. I’m hoping my reputation’s not big enough that these people know who I am.”

The other new players include two beauty pageant winners (Miss Delaware and a Miss Teen Utah), a seminary student, and a sex therapist. The 15 newbies will be divided into three tribes — each of which will also welcome a returning player who was medically evacuated from a previous season. (The returning players will be revealed later this week.)

When it comes to other twists, the Do It Yourself challenges from last season will not be making a repeat appearance, and there will be a new wrinkle to the first hidden immunity idols. “They are hidden in plain sight,” says host Jeff Probst. “There’s actually a clue at the bottom of a rice jar that says, ‘The idol is hidden in plain sight. In fact, it’s right under your nose.’ And if they take the top of the rice tin off, they would find that is the idol. The top of the rice tin is the idol.” Sneaky!

As for the location in the Philippines, it was an edict from executive producer Mark Burnett that led to the show going to the Caramoan Islands for it’s 25th (and 26th) season. “It actually came as a slam-down from Burnett,” says Probst, “who said, ‘Get us back in the water.’ So we’re here in the Philippines, which is vintage Survivor, and I love it.” The location means an opportunity for challenges that can take place out in deep water — something the show has lacked since back in season 16 (Survivor: Micronesia — Fans vs. Favorites).

SBETigg
08-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Oh wow, it's that time already. The summer flew by. I'm kind of bummed to see recognizable names again, honestly. Am I the only one? I really miss at least pretending that we have a bunch of regular people out there. Though I suppose Lisa Whelchel is a regular person by now. At least we have a new setting. And the returning players being the medically evacuated ones is fair enough. They didn't get to live out their experience to the fullest. I'm pretty sure I've seen spoilers and I was okay with the returners, but I no longer remember exactly who they are. (Oh wait, coming back to me now- one of them has played more than once, so not entirely thrilled with that but I didn't hate him).

Melanie
08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, seems like we discussed (and this is NOT a spoiler, just who we assumed) Michael (Australia) and the Alan Alda looking/sounding guy. Can't remember his name.

I think it was established that Colton won't be coming back, thank goodness!

In regards to Lisa, like she says in the article, none of the young people will probably have any idea who she is. I think it will be funny when she's found out though. Now, will anyone recognize Jeff Kent?

SBETigg
08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Yeah, seems like we discussed (and this is NOT a spoiler, just who we assumed) Michael (Australia) and the Alan Alda looking/sounding guy. Can't remember his name.

I think it was established that Colton won't be coming back, thank goodness!

In regards to Lisa, like she says in the article, none of the young people will probably have any idea who she is. I think it will be funny when she's found out though. Now, will anyone recognize Jeff Kent?

Definitely not Colton. So, yes, thank goodness. I wouldn't recognize Jeff. But you're right that it will be fun to see if anyone knows Lisa. I forget how young most of the cast is. And then I remember that my kids are that age, wouldn't know her, and I would be one of the old ladies in the one piece skirt suit saying "OMG Facts of Life! Blair!" Hahaha. This is why I love living in my imagination. It has no idea how old I really am.

Melanie
08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I would be one of the old ladies in the one piece skirt suit saying "OMG Facts of Life! Blair!" Hahaha. This is why I love living in my imagination. It has no idea how old I really am.

Exactly! :D

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-21-2012, 03:55 PM
I believe the returning players, which I guess should be confirmed rather shortly, are Mike Skupin (fire evacue from Australia), Jonathan Penner (removed from FvF) and Russell Swan (passed out in Samoa). Penner has played twice (Cook and FvF) the others just once.

One thing that has me worried is that this could be a heavy religious season. Don't get me wrong, I am a person of faith, but I don't need to see it displayed in a manner such as Coach or lil Hanz on Survivor, and I think both Lisa Welchel and Skupin might be motivational religious speakers (or have at some point in their careers). Plus there are I think one or two other cast members like that. I just hope it doesn't dominate the "story arc" of the season.

I guess the tribes will be divided into three.

SBETigg
08-21-2012, 04:15 PM
One thing that has me worried is that this could be a heavy religious season. Don't get me wrong, I am a person of faith, but I don't need to see it displayed in a manner such as Coach or lil Hanz on Survivor, and I think both Lisa Welchel and Skupin might be motivational religious speakers (or have at some point in their careers). Plus there are I think one or two other cast members like that. I just hope it doesn't dominate the "story arc" of the season.

I guess the tribes will be divided into three.

I share your concern after reading some of the bios and remembering how other players have acted in the past.

DizneyRox
09-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Starts tonight... Discuss

A Big Kid
09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
OMG! did the chicken drown? That was hard to watch.

SBETigg
09-19-2012, 08:52 PM
OMG! did the chicken drown? That was hard to watch.

Seriously! I was worried, too. Looked like it made it, though. I'm telling myself the chicken made it.

A Big Kid
09-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Seriously! I was worried, too. Looked like it made it, though. I'm telling myself the chicken made it.

I mean, I just ate a chicken fajita.....but that chicken knew it was in trouble and was frantically trying to keep it's head above water.

SBETigg
09-19-2012, 09:11 PM
I mean, I just ate a chicken fajita.....but that chicken knew it was in trouble and was frantically trying to keep it's head above water.

The chicken might be a meal later, but I would rather not see it go down in a panic off the side of the boat.

missymouseworld
09-20-2012, 06:39 AM
I don't know if I like the 3 tribe thing instead of 2. Doesn't seem like "classic" Survivor. The groups are too small.

SBETigg
09-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't know if I like the 3 tribe thing instead of 2. Doesn't seem like "classic" Survivor. The groups are too small.

I like it when they try new things, but I don't always like the things they try. I believe they did the three tribes once before and it didn't work out so well. Too small, I agree. Plus, it's too hard to get to know anyone when the camera time is divided between three vs two. That Zane guy has to be the dumbest Survivor ever, well maybe not. We've seen some dumb moves. But, wow.

Scar
09-20-2012, 11:21 AM
The first All-Stars had three tribes. I'd bet that at some point they will mix it up into two tribes.

Last night was kinda boring. As others have been saying over the last few years, the show is still mostly going downhill.

Melanie
09-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I liked the show last night. I really like Malcolm. He's a cutie (I know, I could probably be his mom), but I think he's smart too. Geez, Russell was driving me crazy last night. I didn't love him on his original season, so I won't be sorry to see him go, and I do think he'll be gone sooner rather than later.

Lisa just doesn't seem like she's going to fair well. With the news coming out today about her divorce, it was revealed that when she left for Survivor, her divorce was just final and she was going through a lot of personal turmoil. Hopefully Skupin can get her on track and under his wing.

I like Penner, but I think he's going to annoy everyone with his obsessive play. I was bummed to see Jeff get hurt already. How funny that young girl recognized him!

SBETigg
09-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Melanie, yes, I like Malcolm too. I had no idea about Lisa's divorce. No wonder she seemed a little out of sorts out there. I've liked Penner in the past, too, but the obsessive Idol search is costing him, yes. Russell had better pull it back a notch. He was pretty clueless about his bossiness until the end, it seemed. Waiting to see about everyone else. I don't think I like Abi-Maria so far, though.

TheDuckRocks
09-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah, Malcolm is a cutie and seems like he knows the game playing needed to stay around. It's still early though.
Lisa was on The Talk a couple of days ago and no mention was made of the divorce. What a surprise this morning when it was all over the internet. She did talk about hiring an ex Navy Seal for physical/swimming training and somekind of other professional for the mind set part of the game.
Although Russell should have known better than his bossy game play last night, he sure did get lucky with that fool Zane being on his team.

laprana
09-21-2012, 09:52 AM
First episode was good! We'll see how long the 3 tribes last before some sort of reorganization. I'm betting they won't be around too long into the game. Zane...what a dummy! :crazy: His whole grand scheme really backfired right in his face. He was a much better Survivor player in his own mind than he was in reality, that's for sure!

Russell is way too overbearing and isn't going to last long at all if he keeps playing the way he did in the first episode! I agree with everyone who likes Malcom so far...he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders for the game. We'll see if it lasts!

What is up with all of Skupin's self-inflicted injuries?? He'd better be more careful, or he's going to end up getting medically evacuated again like his first season! A little cut can quickly turn into a big problem in an environment like that. :(

eam
09-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Wow! After that vote, I feel like having a cookie.

missymouseworld
09-28-2012, 07:26 PM
:haha::haha: That was some answer from her.

SBETigg
09-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Denise is currently my favorite, but we haven't seen much of any other tribe. I like Malcolm, too, but what a dumb move getting tied up with Angie like that. Cookies! I was still glad Roxanne went over Angie. That kind of strident clueless disapproval is not needed around camp, though she was right that any kind of coupling up is dangerous. Easy for Denise to get rid of Angie next if it comes to them going to tribal again. And it doesn't bode well for that tribe right now. Russell dodged a bullet with the girls going after each other instead. There are still some people that I know nothing of simply because that one tribe has lost twice now.

laprana
10-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Good riddance, Angie! Hope you get to eat some cookies now!

SBETigg
10-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Good riddance, Angie! Hope you get to eat some cookies now!

Haha! Yes, I think they made the right choice. I loved her blaming it all on Russell and insisting she would never give up when she definitely gave up in that challenge. And now Malcolm can focus on staying in the game.

I think we're finally ready for another team team to lose. I liked seeing some new faces for a change. I would love it if Lisa made a big move and went back to Mike and RC with intel, instead of settling for being fourth in an alliance of four. I also enjoyed seeing Jeff and Jonathan's conversation with the handshake, but it looks like they might cement that alliance next week. We'll see.

TheDuckRocks
10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm not a guy and should have asked my DH, but what is a three finger handshake? Even seeing it I still have never heard or seen such a thing.
So long Cookie!

laprana
10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Haha! Yes, I think they made the right choice. I loved her blaming it all on Russell and insisting she would never give up when she definitely gave up in that challenge. And now Malcolm can focus on staying in the game.

Yep, her excuses at tribal council were great. "I'm a fighter, I never give up!" Except that in this challenge, she told her tribemates more than once, "I can't do it" and then proceeded to stand there and watch Malcom and Denise do all the work. And she had excuses for the first 2 immunity challenges as well. The first one was, "I can't do puzzles!" The second one was, "I can't run!"

I like Malcom and Denise, too, and I hope they can stick together for a while yet. I also hope that Lisa teams up with Mike and RC instead of going with Abi-Maria and that other guy (sorry! Can't think of his name for the life of me!). Abi-Maria is trouble, for sure, especially now that she has the idol.

Ian
10-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Man not a lot of Survivor interest this year, huh? No posts in this thread for over two weeks!

SBETigg
10-22-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm watching and interested, but I think it's hard to get engaged with the three teams. It feels like starting over now that we're down to two. I like Malcolm and Denise, and the fact that they both ended up in good positions on their new teams. I'm rooting for older people for the most part. I think age and maturity is counting for more to me lately (now that I'm one of the "old" people). Abi-Maria really bugs me. Dawson was kind of a Probst-Stalker nut, made me laugh.

missymouseworld
10-25-2012, 03:25 PM
They messed up, they should have voted Penner out while they could have. He has an immunity idol and that is going to come back and bite them in the rear!

IwannabeinNarnia
11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
May I join in the conversation? I want to know if anyone else thinks that Malcolm 'threw' the immunity challenge? He's done so well with all the others I can't imagine him not lasting longer than he did if he was really trying...

SBETigg
11-05-2012, 04:48 PM
May I join in the conversation? I want to know if anyone else thinks that Malcolm 'threw' the immunity challenge? He's done so well with all the others I can't imagine him not lasting longer than he did if he was really trying...

I wondered about that, too! If so, smart move. Winning those early immunities puts a target on your back, so best to lay low unless you think you need the win to stick around. I hope they blindside Abi-Maria soon. My least favorite person left. Pete is dangerous, too, but I give him some credit for some masterful underhanded play.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I agree about Abi-Maria needing to go. She's a loose cannon. With some of her outbursts and the way she acts.. I wouldn't put it past her to go ballistic and kill everyone with her torch. She just strikes me as 'crazy'. And we don't know if she was able to get her idol unburied in time. We know Malcolm did (thanks to Lisa finding it by mistake) and obviously Penner had his... but they never really said if Abi and Pete got theirs.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-08-2012, 10:38 AM
That was interesting last night.. shocked with the reveals of the hidden immunity idols. Got me wondering about how that will play out now. And I definitly wasn't expecting Jeff to be the one to be snuffed out. And wow.. Lisa really stepped up her play.. though not sure how smart she was to reveal Malcolm's idol to the others.. that probably will hurt her chances of teaming with Malcolm and Denise now.. unless she can do some fast talking. I think Lisa has a chance at winning if she teams up solidly with Penner and Skupin, and if she can still pull in Malcolm and Denise. And Carter. I just DON'T want to see Peter, Artis or Abi in that final three...

SBETigg
11-08-2012, 10:52 AM
I love that Lisa's trying to play the game, not sure it was the best move, but that was some tribal council! I never expected Jeff to go either, and they rarely completely surprise us like that. Interesting that almost everyone had been discussed as a possible target but Denise, Artis, and Carter. Carter won last week's challenge. I thought that would have put a target on him, but oddly no. I could see Malcolm having to expose his idol, but I could not imagine why Abi-Maria admitted she had one with her as well. She could have easily left that up for speculation.

Also, I liked Jeff up until his departure speech when he came across as a different guy, a bitter guy with plenty of his own money and not afraid to rub it in. At that point, I was glad he was gone.

DakandZakMom
11-08-2012, 11:16 AM
IAlso, I liked Jeff up until his departure speech when he came across as a different guy, a bitter guy with plenty of his own money and not afraid to rub it in. At that point, I was glad he was gone.

I couldn't agree more.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Also, I liked Jeff up until his departure speech when he came across as a different guy, a bitter guy with plenty of his own money and not afraid to rub it in. At that point, I was glad he was gone.

See, I saw it the exact opposite, I loved his exit speech. I thought he was being self deprecating. This is a pretty raw moment for these guys, they've been in the game almost 20 days, then good-bye, but here's a camera, tell us how you feel, now.

I took it as self-sarcasm. "I made $60M in baseball, but I'm more miffed because I lost $1M that I didn't even need". To me, that confirmed what I already felt, that he was playing the game because he loved Survivor and not for the money or the extra limelight. Only thing I didn't like or understand about his game was his obsession with getting rid of Penner. It seemed to blind what otherwise I would have considered to be pretty good judgement and game play.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I thought last night's episode was one of the best in a long long time, and it looks like we are finally getting a really good season.

I look at the post merge 11 players and what I see are 5 players playing the game really hard:

Penner
Jeff
Pete
Malcom
Lisa

In most seasons of late (Rob's season) we are lucky to get one Survivor that understands the game, much less 5.

I think Denise could be added to that list, but because she's in no danger of elimination, she's pulled back and is content to follow under the "as long as it isn't me" strategy. But unlike others that have used this strategy, I think Denise is following the game and is capable of making a big move.

Carter and Abi are basically just adrift and a waste of space. I can't see either of them winning this thing.

Skupin, just not sure. I think he knows what's going on, has a plan, but he's "out of position" so to speak, so I don't see how he'd be able to do anything more at this point than to follow where others tell him to go.

Arliss, kind of falls between Carter/Abi and Skupin.

What I like about this season is that when you cast people that know and understand the game, you don't need gimmicks to make the show interesting, the game itself will take of that. But when you get Rob paired with 5 others that have absolutely no clue, its boring.

I think Penner was smart to jump ship. Jeff would have turned on him sooner or later, and being the 6th person on a 6 person alliance isn't a winning strategy. I'm not sure what his path is now to winning, but by taking out the cornerstone (twho happened to be the one most vocal for getting rid of him) he weakens one alliance and might throw the game up for grabs.

I'm wondering if Penner's idol will reenter the game? They are not always consistent about this, but at one time if an idol was used in the game, it was reinserted. If it left the game in someone's back pocket, it remained out of the game.

Regardless of who thinks they are in control, there are enough numbers and enough fractures in the alliances and enough "free agents" that anything can still happen.

If there is one person who has the opportunity to change the game but is too stupid or naive to do it, I think that will be Skupin. He looks close to being the "I should do this - but they are my friend" type of guy, which someone like Peter or Penner can exploit to their advantage.

The ending looks promising, in light of the election season "too close to call" at this point.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-08-2012, 01:08 PM
I love that Lisa's trying to play the game, not sure it was the best move, but that was some tribal council! I never expected Jeff to go either, and they rarely completely surprise us like that. Interesting that almost everyone had been discussed as a possible target but Denise, Artis, and Carter. Carter won last week's challenge. I thought that would have put a target on him, but oddly no. I could see Malcolm having to expose his idol, but I could not imagine why Abi-Maria admitted she had one with her as well. She could have easily left that up for speculation.

Other than his immunity win Carter appears to be just a 'lump' in the game. He's made no attempts at any moves on his own. I'm not impressed with him at all. And you are right.. in past seasons you could pretty much always guess who was being voted out.. but this season.. NOPE! They seem to be showing more of the scrambling and discussions than they have in past seasons. And yeah, I can see why Malcolm revealed his.. and as I think about it he played it well.. knowing that by revealing it he most likely would NOT be voted for that night, thus ensuring himself at least TWO more tribals, cause next week I'm sure he'll play it. But Abi-Maria.. I just don't understand her, she's paranoid and a bit on the 'loco' side I think.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-08-2012, 01:15 PM
See, I saw it the exact opposite, I loved his exit speech. I thought he was being self deprecating. This is a pretty raw moment for these guys, they've been in the game almost 20 days, then good-bye, but here's a camera, tell us how you feel, now.

I took it as self-sarcasm. "I made $60M in baseball, but I'm more miffed because I lost $1M that I didn't even need". To me, that confirmed what I already felt, that he was playing the game because he loved Survivor and not for the money or the extra limelight. Only thing I didn't like or understand about his game was his obsession with getting rid of Penner. It seemed to blind what otherwise I would have considered to be pretty good judgement and game play.

I felt the same about Jeff's speech.. that he didn't mean it as bragging, it came across to me that he could care less about the $60 million he made playing baseball and that the $1 million he just lost by being voted out meant more to him.. like winning survivor is a bigger achievement than all he did in baseball. That's how I heard him.
and I agree with your asessments on the players and the game.. I too believe it is still quite any one's game... usually at this point you can pretty much guess the final two or three, and sometimes even the ultimate winner, but this season is so different. Makes me wonder if they have a new editing team? One that finally realizes that the audience wants to be shocked and surprised. That's one reason I stopped watching for a few seasons.. the show became almost predictable.

Melanie
11-08-2012, 02:26 PM
To me, that confirmed what I already felt, that he was playing the game because he loved Survivor and not for the money or the extra limelight.

Agreed. I took it the same way. He had a rep of being not the nicest guy in whatever clubhouse he was in, but his competitiveness and dedication was never questioned. For that I admired him.

Also agree his downfall was obsessing on getting Penner out. Too early for that. :confused:

What a bizarre tribal. I don't agree it was most exciting ever, but it was definitely interesting.

Shaping up to be a good season!

JanetMegan
11-09-2012, 08:50 AM
I actually have Penner growing on me, I cheered out loud when he won the idol when I watched last night.

Nascfan
11-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I actually have Penner growing on me, I cheered out loud when he won the idol when I watched last night.

I did too, if nothing else but for the entertainment value and knowing all the others would have to scramble.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
WOW! What a great episode once again! I can't wait till next week. I really believe Abi is gonna go postal and someone will die. ha ha. I'm really liking the thought of Penner, Skupin and Lisa being in the final three. Loved the reward! How amazing that experience would be!

SBETigg
11-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Last night was great, and when I was trying to strategize what they all might do next, I really had no idea. Which is awesome. I love that it's slightly less predictable than previous seasons. It really could go any way from here, but I like the way it seems to be headed.

I do like Penner. I loved him in his first season toward the end (after some warm up time) and then I started to dislike him in his second season, but I have enjoyed him in this one. His voice is easy listening, and he knows how to work the camera confessions and give us insights. I will miss him when, if, he's voted off. Not that I want him to win, but I don't really mind if he gets that far. Would love to see Abi and Pete go! I think they will need to split the vote to make sure there's no chance of backfire when one of them plays the idol.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-15-2012, 02:15 PM
I know.. these tribals have all been unpredicable. That's one reason I had stopped watching.. the game/tribal was too easy to guess. But yeah, this season I've been nowhere near correct in what I thought would happen. And yes, they need to split the vote between pete and Abi, though I really don't see Abi giving Pete the idol... she seems to think the game, heck, the universe revolves around her. I really can't wait until next week's episode to watch her explode when they get back to camp.

DakandZakMom
11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
When oh when will they wise up and send Abi home. Her I am better than everyone attitude is really getting on my nerves!:mad:

JanetMegan
11-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Another good episode, the Lisa/Penner/Skupin group is really growing on me-they could use the addition of Denise to have a nice solid 4.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
I was surprised that Skupin and Lisa didn't stick together at tribal. I don't think it was a planned split, I think Skupin made a move, and Lisa reverted back to being a non-player, overt hinking everything and ultimately making an emotional decision and not a strategic one.

While I like Penner and want him in the game, I thought Lisa/Skupin would stick together, eliminate Penner, and then next week join the other alliance, making it 5-3 and they still control the game, but with a huge threat gone. Now Penner still controls the tribe which makes it harder for Lisa to make inroads. I think she's pretty much shot herself in the foot for any chances of winning.

Since the merge Denise has gone MIA, which to me doesn't bode well for her chances of winning.

With the former Kalabaw now seemingly in charge, I could see Penner-Skupin and Malcom in final 3. I don't think that will ultimately happen, but would certainly make for an interesting final 3.

SBETigg
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
With the former Kalabaw now seemingly in charge, I could see Penner-Skupin and Malcom in final 3. I don't think that will ultimately happen, but would certainly make for an interesting final 3.

I would like that final 3. Hard to imagine. I think Malcolm might not make it into final four because no one will want to face him. Same with Denise. And what if that kind of logic keeps Abi around? Ack! We'll see. Lisa has put herself into a corner, I think. I was also surprised that she didn't stick with Skupin.

missymouseworld
11-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Abi is not a physical threat, and in the final 3, do you see anyone voting for her?

SBETigg
11-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Abi is not a physical threat, and in the final 3, do you see anyone voting for her?

Exactly. They have to all be thinking she is the one to take to the end, if they can put up with her that long.

IwannabeinNarnia
11-21-2012, 03:03 PM
whether she's on the jury or in the final three her speech as to why she should win, or her comments when she's allowed to ask her question will be 'amusing' I'm sure!

IwannabeinNarnia
11-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Well, another good episode. No real surprise in the outcome... BUT.. what did everyone think of Abi's 'performance' at council? does she really think she has social skills? is she really as clueless as she was 'acting'?

SBETigg
11-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Abi's awful. In the past, people were able to pool their remaining money to bid on things. I'm kind of shocked that people didn't try to outbid Abi for that clue. At the same time, who ever thought she would win a challenge, even with help? I thought her fudging with the reading of said clue was beyond ridiculous, and I hoped that no one would fall for it. Though I don't think they did, and it didn't matter. She stayed around.

Getting rid of Penner didn't bother me, was probably a decent move. Though, personally, I would have targeted Carter first. He's good at challenges and he's playing a coattails game, which I can't respect but can win votes with a jury. And I will miss Penner's insights during the game. He's an interesting guy with an easy-listening voice. I would also consider getting rid of Lisa. Love her, but she can't keep a plan secret. Thoughts?

A Big Kid
11-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Abi's awful.

And I will miss Penner's insights during the game. He's an interesting guy with an easy-listening voice. Thoughts?

If Abi were a man, she'd be Ndamukong Suh

Close youR eyes - Penner is a voice double for Alan Alda.

JanetMegan
11-30-2012, 08:42 AM
I'll miss him, I was pulling for a Penner, Skupin, Lisa final...

IwannabeinNarnia
11-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Jeff said at the beginning of the auction that pulling of money and sharing of food was not allowed.. that is why they weren't able to outbid Abi.
I'll miss Penner also. You know what amazes me? - with all the times Lisa has told others of plans being made, and basically being unable to 'keep a secret'.. her name has NEVER been brought up to be voted out. (unless my memory on this is incorrect)

SBETigg
12-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Jeff said at the beginning of the auction that pulling of money and sharing of food was not allowed.. that is why they weren't able to outbid Abi.

I'll miss Penner also. You know what amazes me? - with all the times Lisa has told others of plans being made, and basically being unable to 'keep a secret'.. her name has NEVER been brought up to be voted out. (unless my memory on this is incorrect)

Thanks for clarifying on the auction rules. They had been allowed to pool money in the past, so I missed that they weren't able to this time. Makes more sense.

Also, surprised no one has targeted Lisa. I thought Malcolm might be gunning for her after she revealed he had the idol. But I guess he needed her more than he wanted some others around.

Melanie
12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Close youR eyes - Penner is a voice double for Alan Alda.

I've always thought he looks a bit like him as well.

I will miss Penner a lot. Hopefully we'll get some good Penner jury moments. He loves and respects the game.

TheDuckRocks
12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
These people are driving me crazy! They all want everyone to think they are sooooo nice and yet they keep Abi and send home Carter. Lairs all.

IwannabeinNarnia
12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
And my fear is Abi could win it.. I mean, she's the 'most disliked' player on this season, she' s been named at tribal numerous times, yet she has 'survived'.. so if she makes the final tribal I fear she'll walk away with it.

SBETigg
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
These people are driving me crazy! They all want everyone to think they are sooooo nice and yet they keep Abi and send home Carter. Lairs all.

Well, I think Lisa looks the worst for that move, since she has been the most vocal about not being able to play that game and hating to send the people she loves home. It might cost her with the jury. Skupin, too, saying Carter was like a son and then making that vote. Tough call.

As far as Malcolm and Denise are concerned, they really only have sealed a loyalty with Skupin and Lisa, so everyone else was fair game even though they also said they prefer to play with people they like. Preference and out and out making the choice are two different things. Now if they turn on their four alliance and keep Abi over someone in their four, I think they're all playing hard and going against their word. But again, it's a strategy game. I hate keeping Abi around, but didn't feel anything much for Carter anyway. We've hardly seen him.

I think Abi will go next, and then Malcolm unless he wins an immunity. I really like Malcolm the best of the four, but I actually like everyone else for the win except Abi so I won't be disappointed, I think. I can't imagine her winning.

IwannabeinNarnia
12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I really hope Abi is the next to go.. if she is.. then we are down to Skupin and LIsa and Malcolm and Denise. If my memory is correct i believe Skupin and Lisa made a pact for final 2 together, and Malcolm and Lisa made one to hit the finals together.. meaning that last vote to get to final three will end up a tie. Which I believe they then do a challenge to see who goes home. At that point I would say Lisa would go home as she's not really performed that great in challenges. Leaving us with a final three of Skupin, Malcolm and Denise.. and well, I think SKupin could walk with the win.. he's had a 'target' on his back due to the whole 'we don't want a returning player to win' thing...he played hard (and had the injuries to prove it).. it will come down to Skupin and Malcolm with votes.

SBETigg
12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I really hope Abi is the next to go.. if she is.. then we are down to Skupin and LIsa and Malcolm and Denise. If my memory is correct i believe Skupin and Lisa made a pact for final 2 together, and Malcolm and Lisa made one to hit the finals together.. meaning that last vote to get to final three will end up a tie. Which I believe they then do a challenge to see who goes home. At that point I would say Lisa would go home as she's not really performed that great in challenges. Leaving us with a final three of Skupin, Malcolm and Denise.. and well, I think SKupin could walk with the win.. he's had a 'target' on his back due to the whole 'we don't want a returning player to win' thing...he played hard (and had the injuries to prove it).. it will come down to Skupin and Malcolm with votes.

I think Denise would team with Lisa and Skupin to get rid of Malcolm at that point, unless he wins the challenge. They won't want it to come to a tie, and Denise won't think she can beat Malcolm in the end out of everyone. He's the one who spent time on the other tribe with most of the jury but didn't screw them over as much, because they were always targeting him when not targeting each other.

I also don't think Abi would necessarily lose if she goes to the end. She could get a few votes, enough to be trouble. So I think she would be the best one to get rid of next, and I think they will because I can't imagine Lisa-Skupin or Denise-Malcolm turning on each other until Final 4.

IwannabeinNarnia
12-13-2012, 08:41 AM
SHE'S GONE!!!! YEAH!!!! :clappy: She's finally gone!!!! AT this point I am pretty sure Lisa and Skupin will be in the final three. They will not turn on each other.. so it will come down to it being either Denise or Malcolm going home. I LOVED Malcolm's comment during the reward after Skupin got butted by the whale, when he said "all I could think was one less person to compete against".. That is probably the BEST line I've ever heard on Survivor!!!

SBETigg
12-13-2012, 10:22 AM
SHE'S GONE!!!! YEAH!!!! :clappy: She's finally gone!!!! AT this point I am pretty sure Lisa and Skupin will be in the final three.

Yes, I think you're right. So it's up to Malcolm or Denise to win the next challenge to stay in it. But I think whoever it is between Malcolm and Denise has an edge over Lisa and Skupin for the win. Which doesn't really matter, because I'm happy with the whole final four and they could all win. No disappointing outcome this season. Though Malcolm is still my favorite.

TheDuckRocks
12-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Gone....at last!!!
I was so glad to see they didn't keep her just to have someone sitting in the final 3 because they felt she would not get votes. I think that could have backfired on them big time.
Just who was an "idiot and moron" to call people names right before a vote.
Well she's gone and I couldn't be happier with the final four.

Ian
12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
She called Skupin an "idiot" and a "moron" right before he voted.

I think that serves to go down in history as one of the dumbest Survivor moves ever. She was a complete waste of a space on this show.

JanetMegan
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
We like all four too, wish Penner was in the mix but he will ask good questions at the jury. I'll pulling for Lisa or Skupin but Malcom and Denise both deserve it as well.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-14-2012, 01:34 PM
She called Skupin an "idiot" and a "moron" right before he voted.

I think that serves to go down in history as one of the dumbest Survivor moves ever. She was a complete waste of a space on this show.

Nope - Eric the ice-scooper guy that gave away the immunity necklace at final 4 (FvF) and then getting immediately voted out still has to stand as the dumbest Survivor move ever. It will be hard to ever top that one.

Ian
12-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Nope - Eric the ice-scooper guy that gave away the immunity necklace at final 4 (FvF) and then getting immediately voted out still has to stand as the dumbest Survivor move ever. It will be hard to ever top that one.Yep. That's why I said "one of" ... not "the."

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
I think at this point its Malcome's game to lose. Win final 4 immunity and he wins it all. Lose, and he gets booted to the jury. No way any of those three keep him around to get the $1M on a silver platter.

I'm still of the train of thought that Skupin and Lisa were wrong to vote out Abi instead of Denise. I don't think there really was any threat of Malcome giving her the idol or immunity. If they vote out Denise and Malcome wins immunity at final 4, then fine, finally vote out Abi. If Malcome loses immunity its a no-brainer, boot Malcome and carry Abi to final 3. Despite what Probst said and other comments about that it could backfire, sorry, no way do I see anyone on the jury giving a vote to Abi. Even Peter and Artis, her allies, only put up with her for her vote, nothing else.

My assumption is that it will be either Malcome or Denise going home next, leaving Skupin and Lisa to face off against the Survivor. I think they lose to either one regardless. Pre being in the dominant alliance, Skupin wasn't overly liked by his original tribe, other than RC maybe. Most found him to be an annoyance and were planning to vote him out until Lisa attempted her big move. I don't see Jeff voting for a returning player, not the way he was gunning for Penner from day #1. Lisa, while lately finally playing more strategically, still will have difficulty defending that she was all over the place with her strategy and emotions for most of the game. I think she could win against Skupin, if Abi were in the mix, but I think she (and both) lose to Malcome or Denise. Denise could blow final tribal and she hasn't been (that we've been shown) any great strategist, she's just a generally strong, hard working sociable person. She may not get Abi's or Penners vote, but I think she would get enough to win.

Despite what everyone says and thinks about Abi, like a Russell Hanz, she's the perfect person to sit next to you at final 3 (see Boston Rob's winning season). Just when I thought Lisa and Mike were finally playing the game, they played it safe, which imo hurt if not outright cost them any chance at winning.

Of course, come Sunday night I may be proven completely wrong.

SBETigg
12-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Yep. That's why I said "one of" ... not "the."

Her game was flawed throughout and her final TC definitely goes on the list of dumbest moves. Not in the top 4 maybe, but it's in the top ten.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Her game was flawed throughout and her final TC definitely goes on the list of dumbest moves. Not in the top 4 maybe, but it's in the top ten.

She falls into that more frequently appearing category of "its' a great 3rd place strategy" that was perfected by Russell Hanz and has been adopted by the likes of Colton, Cochrane and now Abi.

I haven't tried to research or verify it, but if what I heard is correct, Cochrane could be one of the returning players next season. Why, I have no idea, his move to betray his tribe would fall into top 10 dumbest big moves that did nothing. I'm hearing rumors that it could be another Fan-Fav season, but again haven't really looked into it much.

Melanie
12-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Fans v. Favs it is. I saw a list of potential returnees, and only 2 were familiar to me. That's how much of an impression they made the first time around. :unsure:

Anyway, I've always like Penner, but wow, I was :jaw: when he outed Lisa. I'm not sure what his angle was there, but it was wrong, IMO. I thought she handled it very well though.

Eh, Denise was probably my least favorite of the final four, but I'm not upset she won. I am surprised she won so big though. And Lisa as fan favorite was a minor surprise as well.

Don't think we've seen the last of Malcolm. His quick reply of yes when Jeff asked him if he'd return was pretty telling.

I sure hope that kiss by Dawson was pre-approved by Jeff, producers, Jeff's wife, etc. If not, weird.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Fans v. Favs it is. I saw a list of potential returnees, and only 2 were familiar to me. That's how much of an impression they made the first time around. :unsure:

Anyway, I've always like Penner, but wow, I was :jaw: when he outed Lisa. I'm not sure what his angle was there, but it was wrong, IMO. I thought she handled it very well though.

Eh, Denise was probably my least favorite of the final four, but I'm not upset she won. I am surprised she won so big though. And Lisa as fan favorite was a minor surprise as well.

Don't think we've seen the last of Malcolm. His quick reply of yes when Jeff asked him if he'd return was pretty telling.

I sure hope that kiss by Dawson was pre-approved by Jeff, producers, Jeff's wife, etc. If not, weird.

1) Penner - total self serving, soapbox, grandstanding and worthless jury speech. There was no purpose in outing Lisa to the jury other than to show them "I'm smarter than you are." Penner was amusing at times, always good for a comment or analysis of what's going on in the game, but I was totally disappointed in his final jury question (or lack there of to be exact).

2) I made the comment in an earlier post, that had Mike or Lisa dumped Denise instead of Abi, that one of them would now be $1M richer. I think that would have held up.

3) Overall, very disappointing jury with their questions or lack there of. Several still seem very bitter (Artis-RC) and it really seemed like an anti Lisa/Mike vote as much as it was pro Denise.

Denise winning seemed a lot like the Beekman's over on Amazing Race. A nice person, so you didn't mind seeing her win, but her game compared to others (like with the Beekman's) was somewhat lacking.

I think for the most part this was a pretty good season, but the finale was definitely a let down and the winner nothing more than average.

The list I saw of "favorites" had Malcom at the top of the list. I think its pretty accurate.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Spoiler alert. If you don't want to know who the returning 10 players are for next seasons FvF2, then read no further.

I believe this list to be accurate:

Gabon:
-Corrine Kaplan

Original FvF (Micronesia):
-Erik Reichenbach

South Pacific:
-Brandon Hanz
-John Cochran
-Dawn Meehan

Nicaragua:
-Brenda Lowe

Redemption Island:
-Andrea Boehlke
-Francesca Hogi
-Phillip Shepard

Phillipines:
-Malcolm Freberg

To be honest, especially with the women, I had to look them up to remember again who they were. If I ever had to see a Hanz on tv again, that would be too soon, no need to see Brandon again nor does he deserve it, same with Cochrane, terrible game play. Phillip is humorous but has no shot of winning and Erik gave up immunity at final 4 and got booted immediately, still the single dumbest move in Survivor history, imo, and not deserving of a repeat performance. Malcolm should be good again. Most of the women seem to be brought back more for conflict potential than anything else. Brenda is about the only one I'm interested in seeing play again.

Hard to believe that this was the 10 best "favorites" they could come up with.

Can't say that its gearing me up to want to watch again come February (13th I believe is what I heard).

TheDuckRocks
12-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Brandon Hanz :ack::ack: plus however many times Intercot will allow me to put :ack: on here plus a few more :ack::ack:!!! I would be a very happy woman to never see his creepy self again.:ack::ack:

SBETigg
12-18-2012, 03:07 PM
I remember all the returning players, but I can't say they were favorites except for maybe Malcolm. I'm actually really tired of the whole returning players gig. Let's move on to a season with all new players, no one returning.

I really liked Denise all through the season and I thought she was playing. There's no way someone could go to every tribal council and not get voted out without some serious game. And I think that's why she won. That, and the jury bitterness to the remaining Tandangs. Lisa's game was all over the place, and I think she was stagnant or not making sensible moves for most of it. She would have been my least favorite for the win of the remaining four (though I liked them all).

Also, I loved Penner outing Lisa. I think instead of her very valid point about not revealing what anyone did as teenagers (she was an adult actress for a while too), she could have played that to her advantage to mention that she lost all that TV money and had been through tough times, but stayed positive and she was coming to play as a strong single woman bouncing back from life's hardships. Pretty much what she told the camera from week to week that won over the people watching at home.It might have worked on the jury, too. Instead, she looked like she had something to hide and that didn't sit well at the last minute.

Melanie
12-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Also, I loved Penner outing Lisa. I think instead of her very valid point about not revealing what anyone did as teenagers (she was an adult actress for a while too), she could have played that to her advantage to mention that she lost all that TV money and had been through tough times, but stayed positive and she was coming to play as a strong single woman bouncing back from life's hardships. Pretty much what she told the camera from week to week that won over the people watching at home.It might have worked on the jury, too. Instead, she looked like she had something to hide and that didn't sit well at the last minute.

I didn't read it like that at all. Like I said previously, I thought she handled it very well. I'm reading a lot of mixed thoughts on Penner's grandstanding in that tribal council. He's definitely good for entertainment, I'll give him that.

What's funny is, according to an interview I just read with Denise, she's the one who told Penner who Lisa was. Penner did not recognize her initially.

Favorites? Ha! My goodness, if one of those guys is more over the top than he was the first go round, I may have to not watch until he's gone. He was so gross! :ack: Bet you can guess which one I am referring to.

I am definitely rooting for Malcolm though. Ready for February already!

Melanie
12-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Just read this quote from Malcolm in an EW interview. Love, love! :)

EW: You ever go back and watch any Facts of Life episodes?

Nope, we do not. It came on Nick at Nite when Pete was staying with me about a month ago and we turned it off. Lisa is Lisa to me. I love her. We talk all the time. Her daughter is gorgeous! I’m still working on that. We all still like her. I’ve never seen an episode, but I haven’t heard the nicest things about Blair, so we want Lisa to be Lisa and we’re not going to watch it.

TheDuckRocks
12-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks Mel, so glad you posted about Malcom. I need to see if I can find a picture of Lisa'a daughter.
For next season :ack: shall be nameless for me. But I do think I'll more than likely be posting about him as I'm sure his behavior will bug the daylights out of me.:ack:

laprana
12-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I was happy that Denise won, although until he got voted out I was rooting for Malcom. Ah, well, at least he'll have another chance!

Favorites? Ha! My goodness, if one of those guys is more over the top than he was the first go round, I may have to not watch until he's gone. He was so gross! :ack: Bet you can guess which one I am referring to.

I'm thinking you're talking about Phillip - aka Captain Underpants? :D

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-19-2012, 02:56 PM
I was happy that Denise won, although until he got voted out I was rooting for Malcom. Ah, well, at least he'll have another chance!

I'm thinking you're talking about Phillip - aka Captain Underpants? :D

Nope, but it rhymes with underpants, but starts with "Little ..." :ack:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-19-2012, 03:10 PM
I really liked Denise all through the season and I thought she was playing. There's no way someone could go to every tribal council and not get voted out without some serious game.

I don't really buy that. Denise was never in any jeopardy of getting voted out until final 5. A lot is made of the fact that she went to every tribal, but fact is, she only went to two more than Malcolm. When she joined Kalabaw they were chomping at the bit to vote out original tribe members, she just slid in. So the fact that she survived every tribal doesn't, for me anyway, reflect that she had serious game.

Simply, I think she sat back, made sure she didn't annoy or anger anyone, never made a commanding decision, let the others take the hits, then reap the rewards of not being disliked.

I can't point to one thing that she did that impacted or changed the direction of the game. For me, simply bland winner, likable enough, but bland and as a result my final opinion of this season has dropped quite a bit based on the last couple of episodes.

According to every post reunion interview that I read, the jury had decided that the winner was going to either be Malcolm or if he got booted Denise, long long before Malcolm joined them. I think there were more than a few cancers going on at Ponderosa and it definitely feels like a bitter jury syndrome and Denise was the beneficiary.

She may have serious (strategic) game, but she certainly didn't show it.