PDA

View Full Version : No rooms for week in October?

disneyquack1968
08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone, I was looking online last week on the Disney world website and looking to book my trip for the Poly and put in the dates as Oct. 18 - 25th and kept getting nothing. All that was available were the value resorts! This was confusing, I've never seen that happen in the 17 years I've been going so I called them. The lady I talked to also did the search and came up with the same thing. She was surprised too, she also had never seen this. I check again today and it's the same thing. I switched my dates to the week before and there were plenty of rooms. A computer glitch maybe? What does everyone think?

jnfr2424
08-20-2012, 05:04 PM
There is a huge Gartner Convention going on starting on the 21st, perhaps people are coming in early just because its at Disney?

Melanie
08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
There is a huge Gartner Convention going on starting on the 21st, perhaps people are coming in early just because its at Disney?

Yes, that's most likely the reason. Even John will be at the Gartner Expo, which is why the ICOT 15 celebration is that weekend after. The Gartner Expo is huge. Huge!

I want to say there is something else big going on at that time as well, besides the fact that time of year with the Food & Wine Festival and MNSSHP have become very popular.

floridamom
08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Agree that the Gartner convention brings an enormous number of people to the resort hotels. My cousin is with the company and is there for the week every year. He has shared many stories of the very limited accommodations available when attendees need/wish to change resorts. He himself had his reservation booted my some computer glitch one year and almost couldn't get a room.

Itchy
08-20-2012, 05:35 PM
First of all, :welcome: to: Intercot..:thumbsup:

I do not know if Magical Journeys can help, but if you give them some dates to play with they may find you something that will work.

Magical Journeys is a sponsor or Intercot. I have used them for a few years now and they do most of the work for you for free.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

Pally
08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
When I was trying to book at end of June first of July for late October I was looking to stay at POFQ with free dining and there were no rooms available so ended up booking POP. I was surprised.

Fangorn
08-20-2012, 07:56 PM
At least since I first attended in 1998, the Gartner Symposium has always been the second or third week in October, and this year is no exception. There are approx. 8,000-10,000 attendees, which takes a lot of rooms. It's a great conference (you haven't truly lived until you've sat in a ballroom with 5000 other geeks watching "Monty Python's In Search of the Holy Grail") but as the OP noted, it doesn't leave much in the way of choice for rooms during that time frame. Even hotels off property are impacted.

Steve

disneyquack1968
08-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow, thanks everyone, I'm really glad I'm not going that week then. I feel better about it all now. that's something I will have to remember:mickey:

Wolf
08-21-2012, 11:02 AM
(you haven't truly lived until you've sat in a ballroom with 5000 other geeks watching "Monty Python's In Search of the Holy Grail")

I need a job with this company!!! Tis but a scratch!

Daisy'sMom
08-25-2012, 11:41 AM
We are staying there from 10/18 to 10/25. Glad we booked early.:mickey:

roses
08-27-2012, 10:21 PM
I noticed that everything was booked for the week we are going. We have already booked and have a room, however, it makes me nervous to have the CBR fully booked. :(

LandFan
08-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Whoa - that's a lot of people! Tucking that tidbit of info away for future reference... "note to self - do NOT plan a trip the third week of October - EVER!"

Fangorn
08-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Whoa - that's a lot of people! Tucking that tidbit of info away for future reference... "note to self - do NOT plan a trip the third week of October - EVER!"

Please be aware that it's not nearly as bad as you're thinking. Yes, there are a lot of rooms being taken for this conference, but there is very little impact on the crowds at the parks or at the restaurants. In fact, the parks are typically less crowded at this time. The folks at the Symposium aren't in the parks during the day, and rarely at night. Most are not there with their families.

Steve

disneynarula
08-29-2012, 06:23 AM
I wonder if this is the reason DHS closes at 6:00on the 23rd?

Ms. Mode
08-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Please be aware that it's not nearly as bad as you're thinking. Yes, there are a lot of rooms being taken for this conference, but there is very little impact on the crowds at the parks or at the restaurants. In fact, the parks are typically less crowded at this time. The folks at the Symposium aren't in the parks during the day, and rarely at night. Most are not there with their families.

Steve

How sad, they're at WDW and stuck in a conference! :cool:

Fangorn
08-29-2012, 08:05 AM
I wonder if this is the reason DHS closes at 6:00on the 23rd?

Yep. The Symposium always has a private party on either Monday or Tuesday night. They used to alternate between DHS and MK, but anymore, DHS is the usual venue.

Steve

Dsnygirl
08-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Steve

I agree... we've been to Disney twice during this time period, and have never noticed a difference in the crowds, compared to other times we've been there. In fact, usually they've seemed a bit light. So, I wouldn't completely rule the week out if it ever happens to be the only time you can travel! :)