PDA

View Full Version : Picky Eater?

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
08-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Where would someone who is a picky eater be able to go that is nice and fun but has food that they would like. (dislikes are seafood,vegetables, mashed potatoes, mexican, and chinese.)

disneysmiles
08-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Is the picky eater an adult or child?

Our last trip was as a group of 15. Since we had quite a few people who were kind of picky, we did mostly buffets. Its so much easier to have that many people being able to pick and choose what they want instead of a fixed menu. Most character meals are buffets but there are also non character places too.
If a buffet isn't to your liking, check out the menus online to see which places serve the kinds of food you like. Just about every place seems to have a chicken, beef, fish,pork or vegatarian choice. You can always ask to leave any sauces or spices off.

Scar
08-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I would say 'Ohana's and Wispering Canyon. Lots of meat, and many people think they are good and fun places to eat (although I'm not one of them.)

Oh, and welcome to INTERCOT disneysmiles!

Lindsey310
08-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Does it have to be in the parks or can it be downtown? A few years back, we went with my sister in-law and her husband and 2 kids. The kids were very picky, although all of the restaurants we ate at, they found something. A few of our choices:
Planet Hollywood
T-Rex ( they loved the atmosphere)
Ohana
Boma
Tutto Italia
2 character breakfasts, one at beach club, the other at Polynesian.
I would also look up menus online, that helped us choose restaurants that would suit our two picky nephews. :mickey:

Gator
08-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Try SciFi Diner. Their main staple is big hamburgers and milkshakes - and most picky eaters love both of these.

disneynarula
08-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I am not so sure about 'Ohana for a picky eater. The menu is pretty limited. Most TS places have a variety of foods you can choose from. Our DS is very picky and always seems to find something. I would avoid Nine Dragons since there is pretty much only Chinese on the menu.

Boma has some nice choices that are less exotic for picky eaters yet they also have some nice fun choices too.

missastrocat
08-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm a pretty picky eater (don't like mixed foods, sauces, etc.) so I pretty much try to find one staple item at each place I go.

Show the person the menu's and see if they can find one entree they like. For me, if they had a steak, I usually went with that. I did enjoy the buffets like Crystal Palace because they had carving stations. I found that most every place I went would remove items/sauces I didn't want with my meal, and I always asked nicely.

If it's an adult, send them to a site where they can view all the menus. I generally went between the intercot "info central" and the disney world food pages. They have pdf menus of most of the places. Good luck!

disneymom2000
08-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Crystal Palace is a good place. It has a nice assortment of foods and they have a separate buffet for kids.

azcavalier
08-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I would say that any buffet or family-style restaurants would work (these are TS restaurants). In the parks that would be:

MK: Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern
DHS: Hollywood and Vine
AK: Tusker House (not recommended for a picky eater, however)
Epcot: Garden Grill

Various resort restaurants....1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's, Whispering Canyon Cafe are the ones that come to mind.

Rhetoric2000
08-23-2012, 05:13 PM
If the picky eater is an adult (if it's a child they offer simple food most everywhere) and assuming you're looking for sit-down restaurant options rather than counter service I'd say:

Biergarten (Epcot) - German food, buffet, all the sauces are separate from the meats.
Tutto Italia (Epcot) - Among other dishes there is the skeleton of a very conventional Italian menu.
Sci-FI Diner (DHS) - Great atmosphere and simple menu (though overpriced for what it is) Definitely an "event" restaurant if you have kids.
Prime Time Cafe (DHS) - Exactly the same comments as Sci-Fi.
Crystal Palace (MK) - Another buffet with a party atmosphere. Again sauces and meats kept separate and little in the way of spice.
Whispering Canyon Cafe (Wilderness Lodge) Probably your best overall bet if you have kids, excellent Disneyfied American fare.
Trails End Buffet (Fort Wilderness) - Similar to the above but often better value depending on the time of year.
Captain's Grille (Yaught Club) - Here is your secret wildcard. Conventional, pleasant, simplistic menu and always has a table available. Feels special in the evening as the entire Boardwalk area comes alive.