PDA

View Full Version : Famous tipping question......

Hull-onian
08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
We have two hotel rooms at POFQ, three people total, how much to tip :spend: daily? Thank you

faline
08-18-2012, 10:48 AM
I typically tip $2 per person per day.

DizneyRox
08-18-2012, 10:54 AM
2 times $0 is $0

I don't tip mnousekeeping at WDW, it's a non-tipped position.

Lindsey310
08-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I leave around $10-15 but only if they do an exceptional job. :mickey:

Only 11 days to go!!!!!! :joy:

faline
08-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I leave around $10-15 but only if they do an exceptional job. :mickey:

It sounds like you tip once at the end of your trip. Typically, we tip daily as it is highly unlikely you would get the same person servicing your room each and every day of your trip. If you had one person who cleaned your room each day for five days; did an excellent job; and then had a day off on the day you left the tip, your intended recipient would not receive it.

Lindsey310
08-18-2012, 11:02 AM
2 times $0 is $0

Lol lol. :mickey:

Lindsey310
08-18-2012, 11:04 AM
It sounds like you tip once at the end of your trip. Typically, we tip daily as it is highly unlikely you would get the same person servicing your room each and every day of your trip. If you had one person who cleaned your room each day for five days; did an excellent job; and then had a day off on the day you left the tip, your intended recipient would not receive it.

This is true, I never thought of it that way. Great point :thumbsup:

My tipping policy has now changed lol :mickey:

11 days!!!! :joy:

Luv4WDW
08-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Though we don't tip at a "regular" hotel that we typically only stay at for a few nights at a time, we always tip at WDW. Our rule, for the two of us adults (no kids) is $3-$4/day. We really aren't that messy, but that being said, when you're staying somewhere for about a week and you make yourself more at home, I figure you're probably a little messier than if you were only staying somewhere for one or two nights. I understand this is not a tipped position, but no matter how much they make, I doubt they make enough (in my opinion) for some of the things they undoubtedly have to go through. I imagine many guests make no effort to keep their room clean. Every time I think about not tipping I remember I'm spending thousands on this vacation, surely I can scrounge up a couple extra bucks to help out the mousekeepers. I've never had a bad experience in this department, so that's probably contributing to my point of view.

CosmicRay
08-18-2012, 11:50 AM
We've never tipped before and I don't think it really ever came to my mind that we should. But now we are a DVC member and have Mousekeeping come in only once while we are there. And I feel spoiled from the past when we had daily Mousekeeping, that I usually HAVE to pickup, make beds and put away trash, towels and clothing so that I FEEL like Mousekeeping has been there.

But for future reference, where do you leave your tip so that Mousekeeping doesn't think that the guest just left their money or it fell out of their pocket?

TiggeRia
08-18-2012, 12:23 PM
We are two adults in one room, and typically tip $1-2 per person per day with a note labeled that it is for Mousekeeping, otherwise they may not take it.

faline
08-18-2012, 02:22 PM
But for future reference, where do you leave your tip so that Mousekeeping doesn't think that the guest just left their money or it fell out of their pocket?

Typically, each room has a little card placed in it with the name of the person primarily responsible for mousekeeping in your room. We place the money under this little card which, I feel, is a pretty clear message that it is intended forthe mousekeepers. Some folks have even made little, decorated envelopes in which to leave their tips.

We are DVC members now as well. We always tip on towel and trash day and, if we stay long enough for a complete cleaning, tip on that day as well.

Hull-onian
08-18-2012, 07:04 PM
I put their tip near or in the sink, that way, they are sure to take it. I had to phone mousekeeping once to let them know that my mousekeeper wasn't taking her tips, and to make sure that she got them. The room at All Star Sports was kept spotless.......

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-18-2012, 10:41 PM
When I worked in a hotel, for 13 years, our housekeepers made minimum wage. And let me tell you, those people work extremely hard.

I typically leave $1-2 per night. We usually make up envelopes that say Mousekeeping right on them so they know that it's their tips. There is even a website that will give you the pdf to print them up. Just google Mousekeeping envelopes.

And we do leave them every day because you don't always have the same Mousekeeper every day.

AvaNellMouse
08-18-2012, 11:25 PM
I have set aside $5 per day for mousekeeping. Also, I always bring spices from NM, hot stuff, for them. Many of our past mousekeepers have been from countries that dig spicy food - they have been super pleased with the offering. I save for months to go and want them to know how MUCH I appreciate all that they do to make my trip magical.

mom2morgan
08-19-2012, 01:03 PM
I only have mousekeeping come in every second or third day. I tip $5.00.

Checkers
08-19-2012, 04:48 PM
We leave a tip on trash/towel day which is probably around $10 and then when we check out we leave around $20. If it is just DH & myself we leave a little less, but when it is with my DD and her family and we have a 2br we leave the higher tip.

When we stay at a regular hotel whether it is Disney or not, we usually tip a couple dollars a day because we are not messy people and mostly they just have to make the bed and leave fresh towels.

Janmac
08-19-2012, 05:31 PM
When I worked in a hotel, for 13 years, our housekeepers made minimum wage. And let me tell you, those people work extremely hard.

Decades ago, I worked as a maid in a 5 star hotel - minimum wage. I appreciated every tip I got.

I tip $1.50 per day per person - when I get smart Mousekeeping. A good example is our most recent Disney trip where our extra heavy bedspread did not have to be put back on the bed every day. Our Mousekeeper made a washcloth toothbrush holder for the toothbrushes. Our room was made up every day before we returned for a nap, about 2 pm.

(A couple of trips ago, at the Polynesian, we had really BAD housekeeping and I did not tip and did complain. The maids were so bad we finally just told them never mind.)

Our daily tips were in envelopes decorated with Disney stickers by the two 7 year olds who were also visiting Disney with us. This kept them busy during waits at slow restaurants, and apparently amused the Mousekeeper. The tip envelope, which had "For Mousekeeping" printed on it, was left on the shelf over the sinks. Our Mousekeeper made a towel "Cool" for us, one day. First towel word we ever got. :thumbsup:

Jan

CanadaLovesDisney
08-19-2012, 06:15 PM
We do $5 per day for our one room.
Our room is always spotless and when we write a note requesting extra towels they always give us tons :mickey:

missastrocat
08-19-2012, 08:20 PM
We are going to leave $3-5 dollars per night for my DH and myself. I have changed the way I tip for this upcoming trip by making mousekeeping envelopes and giving a tip daily versus the end of the trip. :)

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi All!

Just a quick reminder to keep the discussion friendly.

Tipping always seems to be a sensitive topic, and we need to be sure we are staying on topic (ie how much do you tip for mousekeeping) and not judge others for their tipping choices.

disneynarula
08-27-2012, 03:38 PM
We do $2 or $3 a day. We also make special envelopes. I might bring some small chocolates from Germany this time too.

If the kids make an unusually large mess I might leave more.

JerseyDad
09-01-2012, 03:48 PM
2 times $0 is $0

....hmmmm? You wouldn't by any chance be a relative of mine ....would you? They just stayed at AoA for a week .....and I'm sure didn't tip ONCE.

....might be the reason all the little 'extra' niceities(sp?) like towel animals an extra soaps / shampoos were lacking.:shake: