PDA

View Full Version : Prime Time Cafe vs. Sci-Fi Diner?

Kati
08-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Hi Intercot,

I'm trying to finalize our dining reservations for an end-of-September trip, and I'm finding it difficult to choose between Prime Time and the Sci-Fi diner for lunch/dinner in HS one night.

What would you choose? Any menu recommendations?

Thanks!

Lindsey310
08-17-2012, 08:54 AM
I like the atmosphere and the food much better at Sci Fi dine in theater. Have a great time :mickey:

12 days to go!!!!! :joy:

DonaldDuckUSA
08-17-2012, 09:02 AM
I've only been to Prime Time but DBF has been to both and he likes the food at Prime Time much more.

His dad was a little annoyed that SciFi didn't show old movies, rather clips from old movies. That didn't bother DBF much as a little boy, but now he's peeved with it too. Keep in mind that they went to SciFi at least ten years ago.

Their vote is for Prime Time.

Tygger7
08-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Tough call...both have their pros/cons. You may want to start by seeing what ADR times are available at each...that may make your decision in case you can't get into one or the other.

For atmosphere, I'd go with Sci Fi. As long as you stay with hamburgers/sandwiches, the food is good.

For food, Prime Time. Not as crazy about the atmosphere, but if you want something other than hamburgers, then I would go here.

Good luck!!

tinksmom02
08-17-2012, 10:06 AM
It's been a few years since we've done SciFi (supposed to be there next week, though!), but here's my opinion: for food, Prime Time. For atmosphere, Sci Fi. If you've already done one but not the other, pick that one. ;)

Jillirose
08-17-2012, 10:33 AM
SciFi is a must for us every year!

yourmagicalguide
08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Although the atmosphere at Sci-Fi is awesome and one-of-a-kind, the food is nothing special. It's really all about the whole "Drive-In" experience since you dine in a convertible while watching short clips of B-movies. It was fun to experience once, but we won't be eating there again since we can get better food at reasonable prices at a QS nearby.

Prime Time has great home-style food and a 1950's "Mom's Kitchen" theme. There are TVs throughout the restaurant broadcasting black and white sitcoms. Although the atmosphere isn't as spectacular as Sci-Fi, the servers at Prime Time are in-character (i.e. "Momma") and can really make the experience fun and exciting :mickey:

Mfarquar
08-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree with several of the other posters.

For food, Prime Time wins. IMO, there is no contest. Think comfort food with some very entertaining waitstaff. We have never been disappointed and the restaurant is really adorable.

However, Sci-Fi has a great atmosphere. Just be prepared for a limited menu, nothing notable or particularly delicious. It's edible, but you're paying for the atmosphere. That said, I think it's may be the best restaurant environment Disney has created thus far. It is truly unique and an experience you should do at least once.

I think it comes down to which you are more interested in this time around - atmosphere or food. We usually visit each once per trip, so I think you'll have fun either way! Enjoy!

kurt
08-17-2012, 12:11 PM
why not do them both? do one for lunch & the other for dinner:goofy:

mydisneygirls
08-17-2012, 12:18 PM
We don't care for either place. There is much better food elsewhere. I would even eat at Hollywood and Vine over 50's or Sci-Fi. Our last experience at 50's was terrible...food and service...plus no skits done in our immediate area by any of the servers. I wish they would put some better places to eat at HS!!!!!

Itchy
08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
For me Sci Fi was a one time trip, The food was ok and atmosphere was ok as well.

Prime time 50's has been visited by my family and I 4 times. Each time we have had a lot of fun interacting with "Mom" ( the waitress ). The folks around us had a lot of fun as well.

I think that the roast beef was really good and others in the family had the meat loaf. I would describe it as a touch of home.

I would look at each of the menus and decide which has more of what you would enjoy.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

Kati
08-17-2012, 01:09 PM
why not do them both? do one for lunch & the other for dinner:goofy:

I'm starting to think this is the best option... pros/cons for each - I'll just have to test them for myself!

floridamom
08-17-2012, 01:10 PM
We have eaten at both in the past year, most recently Prime Time in July. I agree with those who said the food at Prime Time is better. We were expecting it to be the same (mediocre) quality of Sci Fi and were pleasantly surprised. I had the meatloaf, which along with the mashed potatoes was very good. Dh had the fried chicken and said it was cooked nicely, too. DD10 had the seafood salad and finished the whole thing. (And she has just recently transitioned from the kids' menus.)

However, if you're going for the fun factor, our kids liked Sci Fi better with the cars at the drive-in theme. Our server at Prime TIme was nice, but didn't get into character the way some of the others did.

With all the pros and cons, I'd say we're glad we tried each once. good luck with your decision!

johnO
08-17-2012, 01:42 PM
We've eaten at Prime Time at least 3 times. Food has always been good and the atmosphere amusing.

With our upcoming trip however, we're trying to experience new things/things we havent tried before. So, SC-FI here we come!

SBETigg
08-17-2012, 01:53 PM
I think Sci-Fi is fun, not the best food but not bad for burgers and sandwiches. The whole Prime Time schtick really is not for me, so I have never tried it.

mdricks
08-17-2012, 02:06 PM
I have to ditto what has been said so many times already.

Sci-fi is a fun atmosphere, it is a great place for lunch because it is dark and cool, a welcome break from the Florida sun.

50's has the better food. If you are so inclined the waiting area for 50's is the tune-in lounge. You can get a cocktail while you wait for your table. :marg:

I did Sci-fi with the family a few years back and the boys (9 and 7 at the time) had a great time and really enjoyed the experience. I didn’t hate it but I have never been back.

I sit at the bar in 50's and eat meatloaf with appletini's every solo trip I take.

:number1:

PETE FROM NYC
08-17-2012, 04:05 PM
I like both, for the same reasons that the others gave.
In 50s Prime Time, the whole experience depends on your server. Some of them really get into character, while very few just seem to consider it a job. I don't think either place will disappoint.

Quadstriker
08-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Do you like food? If you do, don't go to Sci-Fi.

Gator
08-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Although SciFi has some pretty ordinary food, the atmosphere is fantastic. Plus, having a milkshake at an old-fashioned drive-in is a great experience. I can tell you that you definitely won't be sorry if you go with SciFi. With PrimeTime, there's no guarantees.

CosmicRay
08-19-2012, 09:06 AM
My vote would be for Prime Time - Good food, fun waitstaff and the theme is great. The Sci-Fi has a fun atmosphere, but the food wasn't worth the money IMO.

Quadstriker
08-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Get edible food somewhere else, then stop in Sci-Fi for a milkshake?

LudwigVonDrake
08-19-2012, 06:13 PM
I would pick Sci-FI for the awesome atompshere. I had the rib eye steak for lunch with a vanilla coke :tasty: for lunch. Good stuff :mickey:

missastrocat
08-19-2012, 07:59 PM
When I was younger and went with my family and my aunt and cousins (7 of us), it was a lot of fun to go to the 50s primetime. As kids we had to set the table, and hoped to be part of the clean-plate club. As an adult, I still liked it, but I enjoyed going when I was younger more.

I've gone to sci-fi as a teenager and an adult, and it's just been okay. My brother loved it though. I am going this time as my husband picked it over 50s.

Something that may have skewed my opinion is whether or not I was paying out of pocket or on the DDP. I didn't like using a TS for a hamburger (because i'm a picky eater). This time, I'm not considering getting something just because of the price on the menu and just enjoy all meals regardless. I think either way, it comes down to what YOU make of it.

azcavalier
08-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Haven't done the 50's Prime Time in a while, as we did it twice in one trip (had an ADR cancelled, and they could only rebook us at 50's Prime Time). That was enough.

We do the Sci-Fi almost every trip. My wife just loves the atmosphere, and since it seems we're always bringing someone new, she thinks that they ought to experience it.

I have never had bad food here. I have gotten sandwiches, burgers, and even the New York Strip. That time, I thought that it was a better cooked steak than I had at Le Cellier. I dunno....maybe I got lucky.

Great shakes and onion rings, though.

mgmnut
08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
We bounce back and forth between the two. We have done 50's last 2 trips so we are going back to Sci Fi this time around. I like the 50's Prime Time for the comfort foods, Pot Roast, Meatloaf, Fried ChIcken. Sci Fi is great for the atmosphere but as I recall the food is also very enjoyable

brivers222
08-20-2012, 01:54 PM
We go to both EVERY trip.... but honestly if we had to pick just one I would have to say the both myself and my DW would choose 50's all day long. on our honeymoon we ended up going twice to 50's we like it so much :)

disneymom2000
08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
I like 50's due to the interaction with the people. Food wasn't as good the last time I went but I might have had an off day.