PDA

View Full Version : Vero Beach

merryc17
08-16-2012, 02:26 PM
We will be staying in Vero Beach for a few days before heading to Orlando and the Wilderness Lodge. We were hoping for some R&R before hitting up the parks. Reviews on Vero Beach have been a little sparse and not entirely specific. Any thoughts on the hotel itself, the area around it, restaurant choices and day trips in the surrounding area?

It's not too late to change hotel plans yet. I'm just hoping it's what we were thinking of.

DVC2004
08-16-2012, 03:33 PM
We've stayed at Vero a couple times now on points. Last October we stayed in the Hotel. It is a nice resort but small. The beach is not a very wide expanse but you can walk it for quite a ways in each direction. Boogie boards and other items are availble for rent. The hotel has a couple restaurants, one is more fancy and only open for dinner and I think brunch on Sundays 9Sonja's). The other is more casual but still sit down and there is a bar upstairs called the Green Cabin Room which is small but has an outside deck facing the ocean. There are activities at th resort (some free and some for a fee). As far as the area...well, it's a beach town. There's not a lot of stuff around. There is a movie theater (you'd have to drive) and there is a small Mel Fisher treasure museum. My kids likes the treasure museum. If you drive off property there are som restaurants but you can ask at the hotel what is good around. We went to a place- I think Ocean Grille- it is older inside but the food was excellent. However was not cheap. There's fast food in town too.

Overall it's a nice place to relax, and it's still Disney but def has a more "local" flavor. The cast is nice, but we had a few "off" experiences last time. However, I have felt that happens on property, too. Also: sea turtles nest there so you may get to see a nest. they are roped off. My kids really liked it here, but they spent all their time on the beach and boogie boarding.

Please feel free to PM me with more questions.

Christine
08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
I LOVE vero beach! The resort is lovely and has great service, good food & a laid back atmosphere!
I think the best way to explain it is - a cruise on land!

We LOVE it there! :number1:

Tigerinvestigator
08-17-2012, 12:17 PM
We like Vero Beach as well. It is really hard to describe the atmosphere. Kinda like it was Disney but it really wasn't Disney?:confused: It is a great place to relax and if that is why you are going then go for it. I think we decided it would be better on the front end of our Disney vacation rather than the end. It just seemed like there was nothing to do after being at WDW for over a week and going and doing great things all day and night. But if that is what you are looking for it is great. We will go back because we love the ocean and who better to stay with than Disney.