buzznwoodysmom
08-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Cast:
Me –Denise- 35
DS- Collin- 12
DS- Landon- 10
DMom- Sheila- 60

Sunday, August 5 –Day 8 and Getting Home

We were up sort of early this morning. Took our time getting up, had a small breakfast in the room, then packed up the car. We drove around to check out the gift shop. The boys asked if we could go see the Toy Story section of All Star Movies since we were so close. In our usual departure day fashion we lingered, and lingered till after lunch.

Once we left the resort we went to Downtown Disney for a few last minute items we had looked at during the week. I put off buying a few things for fear they would break with all our moves. We spent about an hour at DTD then it was about time for lunch. It’s been a tradition of ours to always make our final stop a last spin on the monorail getting off at the Poly, and throwing coins into the fountain wishing for a quick return. So that’s exactly where we headed.

We parked at the Poly and hopped on the monorail. We got off at GF to have lunch at Gasparilla Grill. The boys got to play a few more arcade games while waiting for our food, and we had a satisfying lunch and were back on our way.

It’s so sad when you get to the TTC and hear “If this concludes your visit to the Walt Disney Resort…... “ So sad to hear that on your way out, but somehow I have to hear it to feel like I’m really going home! We got off at the Poly, threw all the change we had into the fountain to make our traditional wish and off we went.

For those who didn’t read about my accident on the way home. My Expedition hydroplaned on a pool of standing water on an overpass and my truck when spinning. We ended up hitting one side of the overpass, spun around and hit the other side pretty much head on. The truck then swung around ending up with the entire driver’s side up against the rail. Then we slid all the way down the overpass up against the rail backwards, facing the oncoming traffic that was just a few minutes ago, behind us. It was awful. Scariest moments of my life for sure. I was positive we were going to flip over the overpass and come crashing down on the traffic below. I remember thinking to myself “this is it”.

Long story short, we were supposed to get home around midnight Sunday night/Monday morning. We didn’t get home till around 9am Tuesday morning. It took us till 11am Monday to get a rental that would allow me to drop off the car in Louisiana. Every other place I tried told me I had to return the car to Florida, to a location that was 7 hours from home. Then we had to go to where my Expedition was being held to get everything out of it because we were pretty sure it’s totaled. It took a while to fit everything that was in an Expedition into the little bitty car we rented. We didn’t get on the road till around 1pm. Then the weather was just as bad, sometimes worse, than what I had wrecked in the day before. We should have been home by 8pm Monday night, but after 9pm I threw in the towel and we stopped for the night just a little over an hour from home. The road conditions were just too dangerous, and I was too nervous, to keep on going. We got home Tuesday around 9am. I had to return the rental by 11 or get charged another day. Then I had to get my MIL’s Escape that she is letting me borrow till we purchase a new car. DH is in Germany at this time, so I really wanted to wait for him to be home to purchase a new car, not to mention I’m still waiting to hear back from our insurance. Definitely not the best way to end one of our best trips ever! The good thing is that no one was injured and I didn’t hit any other cars, or damage any property other than my own vehicle. I count myself very, very lucky!

Oh and by the way, I am happy to say that after stuffing everything that was in an Expedition into a tiny little “clown” car, and the fact that it all went through the wreck, not a single thing was broken. Not a coffee mug or even an ornament. Everything made it out in one piece.

MizMissy
08-14-2012, 05:29 PM
What an awful way to end such a wonderful trip!

I'm so thankful that everyone made it out without a scratch on them (except to your mental health!). And, really, considering your packing strategy for the trip with multiple suitcases, it is amazing that you fit it all into that tiny rental car. Hopefully, your husband will be home for your next long family car trip and you can take turns driving to get back into the groove of long distance driving.

buzznwoodysmom
08-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Hopefully, your husband will be home for your next long family car trip and you can take turns driving to get back into the groove of long distance driving.

I am definitely not going back to WDW without DH for a little bit. I'd say the next two trips will be only if he can come with and do the driving. Not only is it the driving that freaks me out, it is not having him with us in that kind of situation. I realized I managed just fine without him, but still....I don't really want to do it again. At least not anytime soon!

faline
08-14-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm sure this will end up being a very expensive trip - one never makes out financially in such a situation. Still, your whole family can be thankful that the trip didn't end in a far more costly fashion - at least you and your family are safe and made it home safely (though I expect there may have been some achy muscles for a few days afterwards).

Good luck as you sort everything out.

buzznwoodysmom
08-14-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm sure this will end up being a very expensive trip - one never makes out financially in such a situation.

We were actually in the market for a new vehicle before the trip. We almost bought something new to have for the trip, but I didn't want to rush into buying a car just to have for a vacation. Now I'm really glad we didn't.

The thing is my car was paid off. I'll probably get more for it totaled than I would have gotten by trading it in. So since we were all unharmed I may actually make out better financially. Of course we had the cost of the rental, the two extra hotel nights, extra food, but those are really not much! Looking for the silver lining!

wildernesslady
08-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for sharing your trip. You really packed a lot in with all your resort hopping.

I'm so glad no one was hurt in your accident. What a way to end your trip.

LandFan
08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Wow! Sorry about how your trip ended! It sounded like a blast up until that point though. Glad no one was hurt.

Imalismom
08-15-2012, 05:58 PM
I am so glad that you all were all okay after the accident!!!!

thanks for sharing your trip with us

mydisneygirls
08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
How scary!!! I'm happy that you are all safe...a vehicle can be replaced! It sounds like you had a great vacation and I enjoyed reading about it.

January-2007
08-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Thank you for reporting. Really will help me to think twice when we keep going in really bad weather.

RedSoxFan
08-19-2012, 08:23 AM
I really enjoyed reading about your vacation. We are staying at AKL in November; but I contemplated staying at the YC; but decided not to as I'm confused about cup refills, etc. Glad you enjoyed Captain's Grille --- it's one of our new favorite places to eat.
Sorry to hear about your car accident. So scary; but I'm glad everyone was OK.

Dopey's Girl
08-24-2012, 10:12 PM
What a scary way to end such a great trip! So glad you are all ok!