PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants we haven't tried...we need to pick four.

azcavalier
08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
When my DW and I go to WDW in April for our 18th anniversary, we are going to try all new restaurants. Here's our list:

Be Our Guest
Mama Melrose
Narcoossee's
Jiko
Artist Point
Bistro de Paris
Olivia's Cafe
Yak and Yeti (TS)
Citrico's
Artist's Palate
Captain's Grille
Yachtsman Steakhouse

We've never eaten at any of these. Opinions? We like most different kinds of food, with the exception of fish. My DW hates seafood. I like shrimp, lobster, crab, scallops...but don't care for fish, either. Unless it's breaded and fried cod from the UK pavilion!

Gator
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
I can definitely vouch for Mama's Melrose. They have really good food. Never had a dish there that I didn't like. As for the rest, those are upper end places I've never tried. I prefer my food middle-class :D

Crow
08-14-2012, 12:30 PM
AP def i ate there again last trip and its still good, salmon, buffalo, great mushroom soup.
Narc was a few yrs ago, overated to me but a lot like it. same w Yachtsman
Jiko was good, once again its been a few yrs
Mama seemed so so
I liked Yak & Yeti

Brer_Fox
08-14-2012, 12:45 PM
To stay away from Fish, I would recommend

Artist Point and Yachtmen's Steakhouse.

These are 2 of our favorites and must does for everytrip.

I do love Narcoosee's but has a menu more geared towards Seafood.

My last recommendation is, if you can get into Be Our Guest, I would totally give that a try. :)

Dopey's Girl
08-14-2012, 01:11 PM
I love Artist Point. So yummy.

I also really like Mama Melrose, it's one of very few places in DHS that I like.

I also say if you can get Be Our Guest, you should try that one.

darthmacho
08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Ooh, good question! I'll give you some opinions if you'd like, and I'll highlight my four favorite:

Be Our Guest: Recommend, since it will be new and shiny!
Mama Melrose: Eating there next week!
Narcoossee's: Never tried it. Sound good though.
Jiko: Never tried it, but it looks awesome.
Artist Point: Recommend. It's our favorite restaurant in the whole world, and we're eating there next week.
Bistro de Paris: Haven't tried, but seems out of my league. Love Chef's though.
Olivia's Cafe: Want to try it, but haven't yet.
Yak and Yeti (TS) Recommend. Love the duck for lunch and mango pie for dessert!
Citrico's, Artist's Palate, Captain's Grill, Yachtsman Steakhouse: Haven't tried any of these...

Tygger7
08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
I would definitely recommend Artist Point & Yachtsman, and another vote for trying to get into Be Our Guest.

Mousemates
08-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Artist Point is my favorite restaurant in WDW food and service wise (you just can't beat the triple combination of food/service/view from the CG at fireworks time) ...AP is wonderful.

To us the Captain's Grill has proven to be an underrated gem...the food and service have been good both times we have eaten there and the value excellent (for WDW) as well.

RedSoxFan
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Captain's Grille is wonderful. We are eating there again in November.
As for Mama Melrose, we usually have a good meal there. But last November the service was bad and I wasn't overly thrilled with the food.

Kairi_7378
08-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Another family who enjoys Artists Point here.

lawgirl
08-14-2012, 11:24 PM
I have always loved Jiko...it is one of my very favoritest restaurants ever! The wine list is incredible, especially if you like African wines. I believe they have the largest collection of African wine in the world?! I could be wrong, but its something like that. The menu is unique,the atmosphere is amazing, and the service has always been good for us. I love it!

LandFan
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Jiko is really nice! Good food and beautiful atmosphere.

Artist point is good if you don't often see bison or cedar plank salmon on a menu (we do so we don't go there very much)

Try Be Our Guest!! I wish it was open at the end of September when we will be there! It will probably be really good since it will be new and they will be hoping to get some good reviews.

Haven't been to Narcoossee's yet but I only hear good things about it.

disneynarula
08-15-2012, 01:22 PM
I love Olivia's Cafe. The food is really good and the atmosphere is really quiet and laid back. It is a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of the parks.

PlutoPlanet
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
We love Narcoossee's, but if you don't like fish, I recommend you skip it.

yourmagicalguide
08-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Yak and Yeti (TS)

Yak and Yeti is a definite must! Save room for the pineapple won ton skewers for dessert (split them with your DW). They are heavenly :cloud9:

SBETigg
08-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Yachtsman Steakhouse is the one I would definitely remove from the list. It doesn't live up to the Signature status. We had bad service and ingredient substitutions that really cheapened what should have been a fine dining experience (but obviously some others enjoy it and would rate it higher).

Yak and Yeti isn't bad, but it's a chain quality restaurant (part of the Landry restaurant chain) and I usually hope to do better than chain fare at WDW. Though, sometimes it's fun and the decor/atmosphere is interesting.

Of the rest,
Be Our Guest would be fun to try because it's new.

Narcoossee's, Jiko, Citricos are three of my favorites and all are great choices. Bistro de Paris is also a favorite, but no idea what it will be like after the renovations.

I haven't tried the others on your list.

disneymom2000
08-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Yachtsman Steakhouse and Artist Point are definite yes's in my book. Dying to try Jiko's because I have eaten at Boma's (finally) and really liked it. I ate at Narcoosie's and was very disappointed in the food. My other choice on your list would be Bistro de Paris for the really special night. Wonderful food and great atmosphere.

Mogie
08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Jiko and Citricos.

Skip the Yak & Yeti...

Bethanymouse
08-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Be Our Guest- I would give it a try
Mama Melrose- We have eaten here in the past and been pleased. If you are used to good Italian food, this may not meet your standard, but it is good.
Narcoossee's- Ate there many years ago and we liked it. Have not been back since.
Jiko- Never ate there
Artist Point-We usually eat here every trip. In July we visited once again but we were not as pleased as in the past. I felt like they were too eclectic with their menu choices. We didnt really like the pairings with the meats offered. It was good food, but not worth two dining points IMO.
Bistro de Paris- We ate here on our honeymoon 3 years ago. We liked it but not enough to make it a stop every trip.
Olivia's Cafe- Never tried but have heard some good things
Yak and Yeti (TS)- We tried it and strongly disliked- will probably never eat there again.
Citrico's- Have heard good things! Ate there many years ago!
Artist's Palate- No idea
Captain's Grille- Not sure about this one either
Yachtsman Steakhouse- Good steak !

Mfarquar
08-24-2012, 12:11 AM
I would choose:

Be Our Guest: It's New, Could be Good

Bistro de Paris - Ate there in September and it exceeded our expectation. Lunch is cute with Remy for children AND adults. May not want to do this AND Be Our Guest - could get redundant.

Narcoossee's - I don't eat fish either, but the chicken and steak dishes are very good. Great views. Great quality.

Yachtsman Steakhouse - DELICIOUS. Do not miss this.

Artist Point - Unique menu. Good quality.

Stay Away:

Mama Melrose = Olive Garden with the worst service. NOT anywhere near real Italian food. Jar sauce.

Jiko = We went here last September and were very much looking forward to it. We found it to be mediocre and uncreative. We were expecting really unique choices but the food was nothing special (bland, but dessert was good), and in addition the service was a bit aloof and inattentive (they kept asking us over and over again which hotel we were staying at - the host made a face when we said "Pop Century" - we were dressed very nicely - I'm a clothes snob and we were well beyond the dress code). We were disappointed. We should have tried Boma, I think.

Rhetoric2000
08-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Artist's Point is a big winner here. My favourite on property.

Never done the Yachtsman's and it's always on our to-do list.

Yak and Yeti provides good food in a lovely environment.

Jiko is a good choice also.

Captain's Grill is plain and simple - not an "event" restaurant - but very good and particularly ideal for a fancy lunch when you're having a casual day.

disneykidsince1970
08-24-2012, 08:01 AM
CITRICO'S!!

This is a great restaurant with consistently very good food. We have eaten there several times over the years - including the big Millenium celebration. I am also planning my sister's 40th bday in the private chef's dining room.

I think it is overlooked for Cali Grill at Grand Fla but the food and service is great and the view is good too (altho not as good as Cali Gril). And... it is a big slower pace than the hustle bustle of other spots - which is really nice if that suits your mood! There is a recent review of it on Disneyfoodblog.com.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

Stickey
08-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Jiko- excellent filet mignon, service, and location. Order a side of mac& cheese to go with your steak. We have had many great dinners at Jiko.

Artist Point- great meal and outstanding service for our first-time experience. We ordered steaks.

Mama Melrose- convenient location, good choice. Every dinner was good to very good.

Yak & Yeti- I have not looked at the menu lately. They had good chicken options.

CuteAsMinnie
08-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Be Our Guest
Artist Pointe
Citrico's
Yachtsman

:mickey:

Mfarquar
08-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Jiko- excellent filet mignon, service, and location. Order a side of mac& cheese to go with your steak. We have had many great dinners at Jiko.

Artist Point- great meal and outstanding service for our first-time experience. We ordered steaks.

Mama Melrose- convenient location, good choice. Every dinner was good to very good.

Yak & Yeti- I have not looked at the menu lately. They had good chicken options.

Last September, they wouldn't make the mac and cheese for me at Jiko :( Is it back on the menu? I've heard it's so good!

phlo8810
08-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Yachtsmen Steakhouse is a must do for us every time. Their escargot is incredible. Also went to Yak & Yeti once and loved it. Not on our must do list yet but could be soon.

missastrocat
08-25-2012, 10:04 PM
I haven't eaten there yet, but I would suggest Narcoossee's. My DH and I are eating there for my 35th birthday and our wedding anniversary (same day!). I went to a lot of different sites and while my DH does not like seafood, he loved the menu when we looked at it recently. He's never had lobster so he's going to to the big surf n turf meal there.

I've been to Yak and Yeti, and it was enjoyable both times. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but I liked it and would go there possibly next visit. If you needed a 4th pick in a themepark, choose this one!

AllDisney
08-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Mama Melrose we have always enjoyed. Nothing outstanding just good food and service.

Jiko is wonderful. We have eaten there a couple times and each time the experience has been wonderful. The dishes have been unique & tasty. If you like wine they have some of the best:cloud9:

Artist Point is wonderful as well. The salmon is the best. I think that during May they have this fantastic wild salmon that is mouth watering:secret:

Yak & Yeti is just OK for us. We like it better for CS than TS now.

Bistro de Paris we haven't eaten there is some time but we loved it