PDA

View Full Version : Magic, Memories & You To Be Replaced with New Show

DizneyFreak2002
08-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Update by News Staff on 08-26-2012, 07:46 PM

New show will be called "Celebrate the Magic"
New show will debut November 2012
No show will be offered September 4th till the debut in November.

Full announcement and details below (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=2294245#post2294245).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DizneyFreak2002 on 08-14-2012 at 11:10 AM

For those of you who will be down in WDW during the month of September, be advised MM&Y will be closing on September 3rd... Last chance to see this show will be September 2nd... A new show is being developed... They are also moving the projectors further back and out of view... No word on the content of the new show or when the new show will debut...

Melanie
08-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Wow. Source?

Now, before I give my first thoughts on this, I want to point out that I'm not taking into account that something new is supposedly coming which will surely expand on this technology and will be incredible.

That said, they keep around Wishes and Illuminations for 10+ years and get rid of the coolest new thing they've introduced in nighttime entertainment in YEARS in under 2 years?!?! :bang:

Disappointed. Disappointed it's going away and disappointed I won't get to see it again.

TinkerbellT421
08-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I am definitely disappointed that it is rumored of going away :( I thought it was a very nice treat to start Wishes off with it. It looked like such a cool idea to keep around awhile, it wasn't wholeheartedly "theme specific to the year theme" so much that it couldn't just stay and be incorporated with Wishes as a permanent fixture. All other Castle extras were very theme-y for whatever their "mission statement" or whatever it was that year. MM&Y was flexible that way. I hope if they do create something new that it is mostly geared with the same intentions and feels as Magic, Memories and You. I will be sad to see it go for sure. But will save my thoughts until I hear what it is replaced with. Wonder if the replacement will happen in time for my December trip!

Strmchsr
08-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Wonder if the replacement will happen in time for my December trip!

It's not a rumor, y'all. It is happening. However, the new show will back before the Christmas season and it will use the same projection technology. So, it'll just be a new, updated version of MM&Y. Exactly what it will be we don't know yet, but it'll be something similar. Sounds like they're making it better not taking it away. It'll just be gone for 2-3 months. My guess is it will debut again to coincide with the new Fantasyland, but that's purely a guess and not based on any information that I've received. The actual change and Sept 3 shutdown date, though, is confirmed.

Melanie
08-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Didn't say it was rumor. Just that I was disappointed.

I just realized I won't get to see it in October when staying at BLT. Bummer! Because after this, for awhile at least, myself and my money are going to Disneyland! Which makes me wonder if the Disneyland version of MM&Y is changing as well. Hmmm.

mickeyman42
08-14-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't like to think it but maybe a beancounter decided that giving guests a show between the parade and wishes was hurting merch sales in the shops along main street, therefore remove show = guests wait for wishes by spending money in the emporium. now do I think that is actually the case, probably not, but who knows what a boardroom full of exec's and market research think? strange to do away with a great show after only 2 years when the end of night stuff; wishes, fantasmic and illuminations has lasted much longer.

TinkerbellT421
08-14-2012, 12:17 PM
However, the new show will back before the Christmas season and it will use the same projection technology.

Yay! Hope I get to see whatever the new thing will be because I do not know when or next trip will be and love to make sure I see these even though I might not like or love it. So here's to hoping I get to see it for the December trip to see what it is all about.

Strmchsr
08-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Which makes me wonder if the Disneyland version of MM&Y is changing as well. Hmmm.

I wondered that, too, but no word about that and I don't have any friends out there to ask.

I hope it's back for you by the end of October. I didn't get a firm date on when it will be back. Just "by the Christmas season." Well, that could mean end of October, too. We can hope anyway. :mickey:

strange to do away with a great show after only 2 years when the end of night stuff; wishes, fantasmic and illuminations has lasted much longer.

As I posted above, it's not going away. Just going down for a 2-3 month refurb. It'll be back, hopefully better than ever.

BriarRose0708
08-14-2012, 12:35 PM
RATS! I was so excited to see MM&Y in October. I have never seen it, and I guess I never will now! Whatever the new & improved version is, hope it's good for all of you that will see it.

Dyanna
08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
We were taking a family away with us whom had never seen the show before & after we have raved to them how amazing it was its kinda disappointing that it wont be there now. Will be there the week of Columbus Day. Any idea if they are having anything to replace it during its 3 month hiatus?

Strmchsr
08-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Any idea if they are having anything to replace it during its 3 month hiatus?

I don't think so. Not that I've heard of, anyway.

DizneyFreak2002
08-14-2012, 01:42 PM
After hearing of this and posting it, I got into wondering... What is the possibility of adding the technology Disneyland uses for Glow Lights with World of Color and soon Fantasmic???? If they are updating Fantasmic in DL with this technology, they could easily update MK and MM&Y with the technology too...

Melanie
08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
After hearing of this and posting it, I got into wondering... What is the possibility of adding the technology Disneyland uses for Glow Lights with World of Color and soon Fantasmic???? If they are updating Fantasmic in DL with this technology, they could easily update MK and MM&Y with the technology too...

:ack:

I can't get on this bandwagon for whatever reason. I think it works and looks good if everyone is in on it, but not everyone is going to fork out the $$$ for those ears.

Tygger7
08-14-2012, 02:28 PM
This is such a bummer....I've seen MM&Y but my mom hadn't gotten to see it yet. We're taking our one & only mother/daughter trip mid-September, so now she won't get to experience it. She was already bummed about missing the new Fantasyland...and now this. I don't think I have the heart to tell her. With her age (79) and health issues (too numerous to mention), this will be her last trip to WDW and I was so hoping to share this with her. Ugh, the more I think about this, the more depressed I'm getting....I just want to cry. :crying:

Goofy4TheWorld
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Well <sniped myself>.

I delayed any thoughts of a trip anytime soon in hopes of seeing SpectroMagic return to MK only to get booted out of seeing this show.

<snipped myself again>.

DizneyFreak2002
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
:ack:

I can't get on this bandwagon for whatever reason. I think it works and looks good if everyone is in on it, but not everyone is going to fork out the $$$ for those ears.

I've never seen it in person, only through pictures and video... I'm on the fence about how it looks... Cool technology, but I wonder how much of a distraction the glowing ears are during the show...

Wow. Source?

Now, before I give my first thoughts on this, I want to point out that I'm not taking into account that something new is supposedly coming which will surely expand on this technology and will be incredible.

That said, they keep around Wishes and Illuminations for 10+ years and get rid of the coolest new thing they've introduced in nighttime entertainment in YEARS in under 2 years?!?! :bang:

Disappointed. Disappointed it's going away and disappointed I won't get to see it again.

Sorry Mel, just saw this... The same friend who told me about the NextGen phone app where you could order your counter service lunch while elsewhere in the park told me about this, then I saw it confirmed from reliable sources on another site... And now Chris backed it up... :)

TinkerbellT421
08-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I've never seen it in person, only through pictures and video... I'm on the fence about how it looks... Cool technology, but I wonder how much of a distraction the glowing ears are during the show...

I agree. Blinky things like that drives me nuts during shows. Maybe I have an attention deficit thing but every time I see the blinky carts during Illuminations if they are to close to where we are I find myself staring at the carts and not at the show lol

MN_Rose
08-16-2012, 03:37 PM
We went over the holidays last year and watched the Christmas presentation 3 times. It was phenomenal, so I'm guessing whatever replaces it will be great. I would speculate also that the timing will be based on the grand opening of the new Fantasyland. But I'm with you all in being disappointed that I won't be able to see it in October. The one thing I don't understand is why they can't keep MM&Y running while they upgrade to the new thing. I hate knowing that we'll just have to "wait and see."

DizneyFreak2002
08-16-2012, 04:27 PM
We went over the holidays last year and watched the Christmas presentation 3 times. It was phenomenal, so I'm guessing whatever replaces it will be great. I would speculate also that the timing will be based on the grand opening of the new Fantasyland. But I'm with you all in being disappointed that I won't be able to see it in October. The one thing I don't understand is why they can't keep MM&Y running while they upgrade to the new thing. I hate knowing that we'll just have to "wait and see."

They can't keep it running because they are doing infrastructure work that requires the show to be shut down... They are moving the projectors into different locations among some other work... I'm hoping they actually try to make the new show like Dreams in Disneyland Paris...

Crow
08-16-2012, 11:56 PM
i thought it was really good..in some ways as good as Wishes. ill have to see it again next wk.

HackLaSalle
08-19-2012, 11:25 PM

... :secret::thumbsup:

Ian
08-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Man, I'm kicking myself now for not seeing it! We just never had the opportunity to catch it and now I guess we never will.

Kind of a shame .....

Christine
08-20-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm ready! Bring it!! I mean I LOVE MM&Y, but I'm excited about seeing what they're cooking up!

missastrocat
08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
In my Hello newsletter from Disney, it mentions "Summer edition of The Magic, The Memories and You! nightly on Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park" through Sept. 3rd. This leads me to believe there will be a Holiday/Winter edition of the MMY. I've never seen it myself, so I'm looking forward to hopefully catching the new show, whatever it may be. :)

Strmchsr
08-22-2012, 02:28 PM
IThis leads me to believe there will be a Holiday/Winter edition of the MMY.

The summer edition was the same show with a couple of unique overlays thrown in (like a beach scene). That didn't require any refurb time. Last year's Christmas version was the same deal. There were some unique scenes, but nothing that required a shut down of the show. Whatever the new show is will truly be something new.

AgentC
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
As I was reading this a tweet popped up with a link to a new post on the Disney Park Blog. Here is some information on the new show.

Disney Park Blog 8-22-2012

Beginning this November, guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park will be able to enjoy a new nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle. “Celebrate the Magic” will incorporate favorite elements from the current show, “The Magic, The Memories and You!,” with all-new music, storytelling and special effects.“‘Celebrate the Magic’ takes us on a journey to the heart of the most beloved Disney stories and characters,” said Show Director Katy Harris. “This amazing show will magically transform Cinderella Castle with spectacular projection effects, choreographed to a new music soundtrack. The show will be full of emotion and storytelling, proving that, with imagination and magic in our hearts, anything is possible.”

“The Magic, The Memories and You!” will be presented for the last time on Labor Day, September 3, at both Magic Kingdom Park and Disneyland park. While “Celebrate the Magic” will be exclusive to Magic Kingdom Park, Disneyland Resort guests can look forward to the return of “it’s a small world” holiday later this year, as well as the debut of a new live entertainment experience in the Fantasyland Theatre, opening in summer 2013.

Strmchsr
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
You beat me to it Cindy. I was just coming in to post that. :mickey:

Quadstriker
08-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Sounds good. Glad they're changing up the projection show to keep it fresh.

DizneyFreak2002
08-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Why don't I ever make bets that anything new Disney names would have dreams, memories, magic, or celebrate in the title... LOL..

Sounds like guest pictures will NOT be part of this show... I felt that was the weakest part of MM&Y... Already an improvement.. :)

Hopefully this show only improves on the technology used in MM&Y, which was a pretty decent show...

Roger's #1 Fan
08-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Got to see MM&Y 2 times during our trip to WDW last week. I agree that the weakest part of the show was the photos. Not clear or large enough to even know who they were and we were right at the castle.

Glad we got to see this as well as MSEP since Spectromagic may be back before we return.
I loved MSEP BTW....

BrerGnat
08-27-2012, 01:11 PM
I am fine with a new show. I hated the photo part of MM&Y. I loved the rest of the show, but always felt that the pictures and videos just got in the way of the cool projections. :secret:

I can't wait to see what the new show will be like.

For what it's worth, MM&Y at Disneyland was just not that good. They always had technical problems with it and the Small World facade isn't ideal for that type of thing as it has multiple textures, colors and moving elements already on it.

Melanie
08-27-2012, 01:15 PM
I am fine with a new show. I hated the photo part of MM&Y. I loved the rest of the show, but always felt that the pictures and videos just got in the way of the cool projections. :secret:

Hey, were you eavesdropping in our recording of the podcast last night? ;) I essentially say this same thing. :)

BrerGnat
08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey, were you eavesdropping in our recording of the podcast last night? ;) I essentially say this same thing. :)

Were you talking extra loud? Maybe I heard it and it stuck in my subconscious...

ValenciaCalling
09-05-2012, 03:40 PM
It has such a creative title, too!

Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand

Remember the Magic

Hmmm....lol

Jared
09-05-2012, 03:58 PM
It has such a creative title, too!

Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand

Remember the Magic

Hmmm....lol
Disney names things by throwing darts at a will covered with marketing buzzwords: "celebrate," "remember," "magic," "fantasy." It's the only explanation.

Melanie
09-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Disney names things by throwing darts at a will covered with marketing buzzwords: "celebrate," "remember," "magic," "fantasy." It's the only explanation.

So true! Kinda of like the name changes the towers of the Disneyland Hotel has gone through in the past few years, AFTER they were changed from the original, unique names of Bonita, Marina and Sierra.

Dreams -----> Adventure
Wonder ------> Frontier
Magic --------> Fantasy

Whoopee.

IamBelle
09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Saw Magic, Memories, and You on the last day when I was at the Fireworks Dessert Party and had a great view, I'm so glad I saw it!! One of the CM's at the party said it was the last showing ever, so it definitely will be a new show coming!!

Dsnygirl
09-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Wish the new show was premiering while I was going to be down in October... would like to see it w/o all the photos/videos. NOT my favorite part of the show, but loved everything else -- think if they've improved on that, it should be awesome!! :thumbsup:

PopPhan
09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Looked at the couple pics on the blogsite and am impressed with what they are doing with/to this display.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/09/nighttime-spectaculars-new-celebrate-the-magic-images-expanded-seating-for-fantasmic/

Hoping to see more soon.......

Figment!
11-10-2012, 11:08 AM
The Walt Disney World resort has announced that Celebrate the Magic will make its Grand Debut on November 13, 2012.

Additionally, it has been announced that there will be a Special Preview performance during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on November 12, 2012.

DizneyFreak2002
11-10-2012, 06:48 PM
The Walt Disney World resort has announced that Celebrate the Magic will make its Grand Debut on November 13, 2012.

Additionally, it has been announced that there will be a Special Preview performance during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on November 12, 2012.

Looking forward to the new show.. MM&Y was pretty darn enjoyable... Hopefully they improved on the tech and made it even better....

Christine
11-10-2012, 07:42 PM
We will be there tweeting Tuesday night & taking pics & video!

Fangorn
11-10-2012, 10:51 PM
We will be back at WDW starting on Nov 23. I'm looking forward to seeing the new show. The previous one had some pretty incredible effects (think - the castle tower blasting off...)

Steve

TinkerbellT421
11-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Can't wait to see it in December :cloud9:

Figment!
11-11-2012, 10:49 AM
We will be there tweeting Tuesday night & taking pics & video!
Thanks, Christine and John! :number1: