PDA

View Full Version : I will never forget the first time I experienced...

Aurora
08-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Remember that feeling of awe you had when you experienced a particular Disney attraction for the first time? Getting off a ride or out of a show and saying, "That was so cool!" or something to that effect.

Which one springs to mind immediately?

I'll start with one that, I think, most people won't put on the top of their list: Catastrophe Canyon at the Backstage Tour at (then) Disney MGM Studios.

We rode this soon after the park's opening, and we were blown away. Between the flames' heat and the water pouring down from the rocks and over the tram, it was awesome -- so much fun.

What attraction blew your mind the first time you saw it?

TinkerbellT421
08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Soarin! first time I rode it I was in complete astonishment of how they associated the scents and music with the scenes. The whole experience blew me away! and how I really feel like I'm soaring over California!!

Main Street Jim
08-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Hands down: Horizons.

Journey Into Imagination is a *very* close second, followed by The Living Seas. Pretty much any of the original Future World attractions.

EpcotFan182
08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
another vote for Soarin! I was totally blown away when I first went on it. :mickey:

Melanie
08-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Really, really good topic. I'll have to think on this one.

Gator
08-13-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm sure I'll have more later, but the first one that comes to mind is from 2002. It was our first trip to WDW on our honeymoon, and day #2 which we spent at MGM Studios as it was known. We boarded Rockin'Rolloercoaster because we thought it would be fun. We had no idea what was going to happen on it. It was 3 seconds of excitement I'll never forget. It's all we could talk about until we came back two years later.

Gator
08-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Oh, another one. Can't believe I didn't think of this first. It was from the same trip in 2002. We got a decent spot to view Illuminations. I thought it was a great show, and then it slowed down for the finale. When the "star burst" portion of the ending hit, I was in shock. In fact, I videotaped it and you can hear me screaming like crazy. I still love that ending.

Great thread! Makes me remember why I continue to go back. It all started with the first trip.

retiredfigment
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Aurora, we went on CatastropheCanyon that first summer too. It was awesome. Everyone was screaming, especially DD! Went on it a few years later and was disappointed at how theyy 'tamed' it

barnaby
08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
The first time I rode Expedition Everest.
The queue, the theming, going backwards fast in the dark, seeing the Yeti - all stick in my mind.

Joannelet
08-13-2012, 10:19 PM
I will never forget the first time I walked through the Osborne Festival of Lights at DHS. It was truly an amazing and unexpected experience! I was there on the college program and was missing home for the upcoming holidays. I was doing some shopping in DHS when a cast member stopped me and told me that I had to stay and see this. They handed me 3D glasses and told me to wait. (the glasses made angels around all the lights when you looked at them.) this was in 1998.
What I was really missing was snow! I am from NJ and well Florida doesn't see the white stuff. :)
So I waited by a rope. Suddenly Minnie came out with Pluto. The story started playing about how it came to be there.....and the lights went on!
Then Minnie and Pluto dropped the rope. Minnie (who is my fav!) walked through with me, pointing at all the lights etc. when I turned the corner there it was.....SNOW! Bubbly snow falling on my head:) i will never forget that first time! :)
I still love those lights! :)

Dopey's Girl
08-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Good one!!

I'd have to say my first ride on Tower of Terror. I had avoided it for a while (can you say chicken?!) so when I finally entered the lobby, I was blown away by the details. I'm pretty sure I laughed the whole ride, amazed by the fact that I had been missing this crazy ride for so long. I mean come on, it lifts my pooh sized rump out if the seat. That's just awesome!

darthmacho
08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Well, I have a few actually, and for different reasons...

...the Wilderness lodge Lobby. Not an attraction, I know, but the first time I walked into it, it blew my mind.
...Space Mountain, because it was the very first WDW attraction I ever experienced.
...Dinosaur, because I believe this will be the closest I'll ever get to being in the presence of real dinosaurs, and when that carnotaur charged at our vehicle, it was exhilarating.
...Soarin', because I expected this attraction to be overrated, and it actually exceeded all of my expectations.

mgmnut
08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
The first time I rode Expedition Everest.
The queue, the theming, going backwards fast in the dark, seeing the Yeti - all stick in my mind.

I will have to second Everest, we got to see the contruction of it early on with the track all exposed on an earlier trip in 2004. I couldn't wait to ride it in 2006 and it did not dissapoint, especially sice the Yeti was working. I couldn't believe how fluid he was when he moved.

Great thread!

EeyoresBestFriend
08-14-2012, 12:04 AM
I will never forget the first (and only time) that I experienced the Tapestry of Nations parade in 2000. It was an amazing experience and still one of my favourite memories. :cloud9:

Ms. Mode
08-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Soarin! first time I rode it I was in complete astonishment of how they associated the scents and music with the scenes. The whole experience blew me away! and how I really feel like I'm soaring over California!!

Exactly! But, I also remember the first time I stepped into Epcot, with the music playing and the fountains roaring.

TinkerbellT421
08-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Exactly! But, I also remember the first time I stepped into Epcot, with the music playing and the fountains roaring.

Definitely! I also couldn't believe how well they synch the music with the dancing fountain!

Lindsey310
08-14-2012, 07:30 AM
December 2011 was the first time I had been down for the holiday decorations. The first time I saw those Osborne family dancing lights, I was in awe. I had never seen anything like that and it was spectacular!!!!!!! I loved going to Disney at that time of year! :jaw:

Ride wise is tough, there are so many great rides! I would probably have to say splash mountain. I rode it for the first time when I was a kid and fell in love. Still to this day one of my favorite rides. :mickey3:

Lindsey310
08-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Oh! And loved the Main street electrical parade!!! Beautiful!!! :fworks:

15 days!!! :minnie:

BigRedDad
08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
The first time my DD went to WDW and the only time she got to go with her grandpa. I think this is one of the main reasons we still stay at Pop Century.

I think my dad knew something was wrong. He took trips with all of the family that year. The way he and my daughter played and interacted was so special.

So, I will never forget the first time my DD went and the last time my father went.

sorcerer fan
08-14-2012, 09:31 AM
another vote for Tapestry of Nations . the rotating drums just were wild

azcavalier
08-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Fantasmic! at Disneyland, in April 1996. My DW and I went to DL for our 1st anniversary, and we got seats along the river to catch this. Fantasmic at DL is much, much better than Fantasmic at DHS. If you've never seen it, it is amazing. It was the first time I had seen the projections on the walls of water, and I thought it was spectacular.

That said, I also loved it when they added the projection of Davy Jones onto the mist at the beginning of POTC.

azcavalier
08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Oh, and I would have to add the current fireworks show at MK. Not the fireworks, actually, but the projections they use on the castle. It's *amazing* how they can make the castle look like it has changed materials, how they can project so exactly into the angles and curves to make it all look so seamless. I think that technically, it's one of the most amazing things that WDI has ever done.

PopPhan
08-14-2012, 10:49 AM
The first time I saw the 'Castle Dreamlights'...It was also the first time I had been to WDW during the Christmas season.

I was mesmerized by the whole thing.....The lights, the colors, the background music...the whole nine yards....

And the Magic, Memories, and You show on the castle wall...Another magical show.

You know, as much as we all like to bash TDO for taking things away, when they DO add something nice like that, they SHOULD get a little credit for bringing the magic back. they're not ALL bad!! LOL

CosmicRay
08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
What's so funny is, I went to WDW for the first time back in 1995, when I was 18. What's so strange to me, is that I cannot remember any of my experiences and trying any of the rides for the very first time.

I went back the next year on my honeymoon and I remember EVERYTHING and loving and taking in all my surroundings.

And on THAT trip, I remember loving SSE. I think we rode it 10 times just enjoying the music, the smells, the sounds and all the animatronics.

mydisneygirls
08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Riding Dumbo. The first time I rode, I took my 8 year old nephew on (who was on his Make A Wish trip in April and then passed away the following February). I was holding on to him so tight that when we got off, he told me sister I was trying to choke him!!!! LOL Every time I walk past Dumbo I think of that special moment.

Stu29573
08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I remember riding the Haunted Mansion for the first time as a kid. I was a little worried about what would happen so my aunt went with me. Needless to say, I drug my poor aunt on it five times in a row!

I also remeber riding Pirates for the first time as a kid and being totally blown away by it. It was 1973 at Disneyland, by the way. Years later I rode it again at WDW and didnt have exactly the same reaction. It wasnt until much later that I discovered that the WDW attraction is shorter and has one less drop...

DNS
08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I will never forget the first time I walked through the Osborne Festival of Lights at DHS. It was truly an amazing and unexpected experience!

I am with you 100%! Most of the rides/attractions were very impressive the first time, but I will never forget my feelings when I saw those lights!

zipadeedoodah
08-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I have a few moments as well.

*Splash Mountain. I was so amazed that there was an entire dark ride in there! For some reason I kept thinking the drop was coming up a lot sooner than it was! Love it!

*Alien Encounter. I loved this attraction, and still miss it very much. Scared the **** outta me!

*Dinosaur. I was amazed (and slightly embarrassed) how terrified I was on this...as an adult! lol

*Expedition Everest. I had no idea we would be going BACKWARDS...and so fast too! Amazing.

MrPeetrie
08-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Great Topic!

The first time I was ever on Disney property was when I was 15 at Disneyland. I was BLOWN AWAY by the Haunted Mansion. I remember coming home and telling everyone they made it look like ghosts were dancing. I was so amazed.

I wouldn't return until I was near 40 and married. The ride that made the greatest impact on that trip was Alien Encounter. I didn't have any idea what it was about and I was completely thrilled by the attraction.

I have many more, but I want to give others a chance to talk about theirs.

scooterca42
08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Another one for Rockin Rollercoaster. DH and I were in line, chatting idly, just after the video, and saw a train come in. We were still chatting when it launched and I yelped and jumped, and DH howled with laughter!

Main Street Electrical parade, from when I was very young. And of course, taking DH to Disneyland on our honeymoon - his very first time seeing the castle in person, not just on TV! What a wonderful expression on his face!!

Mousemates
08-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I will never forget the first time I experienced...

...riding the monorail. My first vist to Disney was with my maternal grandparents who raised me and watching this super sleek modern transport stop inside our hotel to pick us up and carry to the Magic Kingdom was about the most exciting thing I had ever seen as a ten year old boy back in the early seventies.

#2 would be going under the "boat bridge" while driving to the Contemporary. I still remember talking to my my grandmother about what kind of magical place this must be if they built bridges so boats could drive over cars.

DisneyHoneymooners
08-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Great topic and an easy answer for us... the first time we walked onto the lobby of Jambo house at AKL on our honeymoon. If you have never stayed there, it is by far the most stunning entrance. It took our breath away. The sights, sounds and even scents make it easy to forget that you are not really in Africa.

joonyer
08-14-2012, 03:01 PM
The first time riding Splash Mountain with my DW and kids. . . . at night . . . during Wishes, with the fireworks going off overhead, . . . and with a full moon in the sky to boot, . . . all unplanned, not knowing what to expect. Nevermind the big drop! We were all blown away by the magic of it all. The kids' eyes were like saucers and their mouths were first agape and then all huge grins afterward. That experience has set the tone for us on every Disney trip since. Truly magical.

EJS-Houston
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
The first thing that springs to mind is being 12 years old and seeing the Main Street Electrical Parade for the first time. This would have been the Summer of 1972, and I vividly remember being so overwhelmed by the sheer wonder of it that I choked up and tears welled up in my eyes.

darthmacho
08-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Well, I have a few actually, and for different reasons...

...the Wilderness lodge Lobby. Not an attraction, I know, but the first time I walked into it, it blew my mind.
...Space Mountain, because it was the very first WDW attraction I ever experienced.
...Dinosaur, because I believe this will be the closest I'll ever get to being in the presence of real dinosaurs, and when that carnotaur charged at our vehicle, it was exhilarating.
...Soarin', because I expected this attraction to be overrated, and it actually exceeded all of my expectations.

I can't believe I forgot to list these:

...Riding Dumbo w/DD1, her first ride ever in WDW at 2yo.
...Riding It's a Small World several times w/DD1 at 2yo, and listening her sing the song from beginning to end every time.
...Arriving at Port Orleans Riverside in 2010, our first trip as a family of 4, and the longest gap (7 years) between WDW trips since I started going.
...Riding Dumbo w/DD1 and DD2, because DD1 wanted it to be the first ride of the trip and first ride ever for her sister too!
...The smoky smell of the wood fire grill at Artist Point that filled the dining room and the lobby with its delicious aroma!

5 days!!!!!!:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Haunted Mansion and its still my favorite:mickey:

disney obsessed
08-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Cop 1977

biodtl
08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
This is probably a weird answer (and will mean nothing to the younger folks among us - but the most vivid memory I have of my first and early trips to WDW were of If You Had Wings - by today's standards, it's not much, but as a child back in the early/mid 70s, I was spellbound by this ride - especially the speed room. I can still hear the music...

Wolf
08-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Since you said "Attraction" I'll put mine, its not a ride, its the fountains in EPCOT. My first trip I didn't know anything about WDW, nor did my Mom, my aunt brought us along with her and my cousin for just a quick weekend trip, I had no idea what we were getting into. We walked into EPCOT as the fountains started bouncing to music and I remember the music was louder than it is now, me and my Mother just stood there drop jawed for the whole thing and when it was over we looked at each other and were just like "that was the coolest thing EVER" and now are seasoned pros but we always stop to watch the fountain now because its really what hooked us right off the bat!

Main Street Jim
08-15-2012, 12:46 PM
The first thing that springs to mind is being 12 years old and seeing the Main Street Electrical Parade for the first time. This would have been the Summer of 1972, and I vividly remember being so overwhelmed by the sheer wonder of it that I choked up and tears welled up in my eyes.This would have been at DisneyLAND, as MSEP didn't debut in Florida until 1977 ;)

EJS-Houston
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
This would have been at DisneyLAND, as MSEP didn't debut in Florida until 1977 ;)

Nope...don't think so. I've never been to Disneyland...only DisneyWorld. It's possible they called it something else, but I remember vividly that it was a Main Street Parade and used the Main Street Electrical Parade music titled "Baroque Hoedown." They used the same music for the Electric Water Pageant out on the Seven Seas Lagoon (we were staying in the Polynesian then).

BrowncatP
08-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Space Mountain in 1976, with my mother and grandmother. All I remember is my grandmother saying "OOH,oh," almost the whole ride.

PETE FROM NYC
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Our first trip was during Halloween week in 1975(long before MNSSHP was conceived). Unthinkable now, there was only one theme park: THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
Let me say the whole experience blew us away.The things new to us, like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and Space Mountain..And the nostalgic attractions like Its a Small World, and Carousal of Progress, both of which we saw the originals at the NY Worlds Fair in the 60s.

First visit to Magic Kingdom in 1975.
All I can say is WOW!!!

ryca1dreams
08-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Getting my first ticket book, standing in the middle of Main Street and trying to plan how to use them.

Ultimately we went to "If You Had Wings" first because it did not require a ticket and Space Mountain had a 90 minute wait. But we went there second using one of our precious E tickets. I had the 'Star Tunnel music' in my head for years after having heard it repeatedly while waiting in the line.

tiggerbuddy
08-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Horizons !!:mickey:

puck292
08-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Haering faint music in my room when I was 12 and at DW for the first time, first night and running out to the balcony of our room at the CR and seeing the electrical water pageant. My brother and I were so blown away. Odd that I still recall it like it was yesterday. I can start the story and my brother will finish it. Kids think were weird!

Snow's Mom
08-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Fireworks at Magic Kingdom. On our first family trip, we went to all three parks the last day (there was no AK yet), ending our trip with the fireworks show. Magical.

wdwmyway
08-18-2012, 09:29 AM
2 come to mind.
Tower of Terror...I loved the theming immediately, but couldn't remember too much of the actual ride because all I kept thinking was "When am I going to get dropped?" So I immediately wanted to go on again and again.
Alien Encounter. I had no idea what this attraction was about the 1st time through and was blown away with how intense and real a scene they could create by tricking your senses while all you were doing is just sitting in a seat. I miss that attraction.

luvmyboys4ever
08-18-2012, 09:46 AM
As a kid...20,000 Leagues Under The Sea! I still remember being in such awe, that we were underwater in a submarine. ;)
As an adult...not an attraction, but the first time my youngest met Stitch. They way his eyes lit up...priceless. It's such a special place for us that we have to visit O'hana every trip. :cloud9:

j2k
08-18-2012, 01:19 PM
.... Haunted Mansion when I was 5 years old. I was scared when I saw the mirrors and the ghosts were riding in the doom buggy with my mom and I.

... Main Street Electrical Parade when I was 5 years old. Totally mesmerized by it.

... DD's excitement on our trip earlier this month as she experienced WDW for the first time.

... Soarin' -- what a great experience. As DD said when we exited "That was awesome!!"

... DD's excitement when we saw Main Street Electrical Parade.

ANG
08-18-2012, 07:07 PM
IASM. I wasn't so much blown away by how "great" the ride was. But I had seen so many videos of it as a child and heard the song growing up that it felt completely surreal and magically when I actually rode it.

Disney-4-Me
08-18-2012, 10:27 PM
I remember the first time we went to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. Main Street was full of fog, decorations were everywhere and there was a huge crystal ball with Madame Leota's head inside. Everything was magical!

LudwigVonDrake
08-19-2012, 06:10 PM
The first time I saw the castle from the monorail. I will never forget it :mickey:

texas211
08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Star Tours. Both times (original and re-release). Just incredible.

MissMaryPoppins
08-22-2012, 12:35 PM
The first time my family and I saw Tapestry of Dreams during the millennium celebration was amazing. We didn't know what to expect and the music, the puppets, everyone's excitement came together and made the parade so special. I remember a few of the puppeteers stopping and lowering the puppets towards us, we must have been obviously enjoying ourselves.

Main Street Jim
08-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Nope...don't think so. I've never been to Disneyland...only DisneyWorld. It's possible they called it something else, but I remember vividly that it was a Main Street Parade and used the Main Street Electrical Parade music titled "Baroque Hoedown." They used the same music for the Electric Water Pageant out on the Seven Seas Lagoon (we were staying in the Polynesian then).MSEP debuted in Disneyland in 1972, after the Electrical Water Pageant debuted in Florida in 1971. There was no night parade at the Florida park in 1972....I can recall that at least one parade ran in the evening before 1977 (America on Parade <1976>), but not MSEP.

c&d
08-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Way back in the 70's Haunted Mansion. I was just so amazed by it. That is really the only ride I remember from my first trip.

When DS about 3 at the time, got off the Dumbo ride and said, this is the best day ever, now on to the next ride.

EJS-Houston
08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
MSEP debuted in Disneyland in 1972, after the Electrical Water Pageant debuted in Florida in 1971. There was no night parade at the Florida park in 1972....I can recall that at least one parade ran in the evening before 1977 (America on Parade <1976>), but not MSEP.

Well, of course, since I was 12 years old at the time, I'm sure my 40-year-old memories are absolutely accurate and infallible. :beat:

Could it be that it was a daytime parade using that music? Because it's the music I remember. I recall hearing it on Main Street during a parade (which might very well have taken place in daylight) and again at night watching the Electric Water Pageant from our hotel balcony in the Polynesian. Hearing that music now on my Disney Classics CD (well, technically my MP3 player...but it started out on my Disney Classics CD) brings back that warm surge of memory.

BigThunderFan
08-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I really have three moments:

The first time we went to MK with our kids and my parents, we were riding on the bus from POP and just before we passed under the Bay Lake tunnel my son got his first view of the castle and and MK. His expression is priceless in my memory.

That same trip when we saw Fantasmic! and Mickey pops out at the beginning. I heard my not quite 2 year old shout "Mickey!" and then she successfully went to sleep for the remainder of the show.

Running under the flames shooting up at the start of the Marathon while fireworks exploded all around! Followed of course by turning the corner at mile 26 and seeing the gospel chorus, the bleachers packed with cheering people, and giving Donald (my favorite) a high five as I crossed the finish! :number1:

tcswife
08-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I just saw the Festival of the Lion King this past July and was literally almost brought to tears while watching this show. I could not believe that I have been to Disney World over 25 times in the past 5 years and have never taken the time to see that show. I can't wait to see it again in 29 days!!!:mickey:

Aggie97
08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
As a kid -- Epcot. It was all so innovative and fun! My brothers and I couldn't get enough of it.

As an adult -- Tapestry of Nations followed by Illuminations in Feb. 2000. It was just beautiful. :mickey:

PrincessMiaN
08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Wishes is my absolute favorite firework show ever. It just literally takes your breath away. Everytime I visit Disney World and I see Wishes it really just puts me in such an awesome place. I get tears in my eyes but happy tears! I think that the show is so well put on every single night which always amazes me. It is just fantastic everytime I see it. I will always always love it!

Anthony007
08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Not an attraction, but I'll never forget my first Dole whip.