PDA

View Full Version : Will FP system remain the same in Feb. 2013?

Gregandmel
08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
I am helping some friends plan their first WDW vacation for Feb. 2013. I have a very good understanding about how the FP system works and have made great use of this system with our own family vacations to WDW. I understand that some changes are going to (possibly) be made on this current system. CAn anyone tell me if they know whether or not permanent changes will be made to the FP system as we currently know it by the time their trip arrives? I would hate to give them a game plan strategy and have them get there and then the system itself has changed. Thanks for any current information anyone might have!

buzznwoodysmom
08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Not sure if your aware of this or not, but as of earlier this year, you can no longer arrive late for FPs. In the past you could return ANY time after your FP window opened, now you must stay within the window timeframe given on your ticket. Who knows what will change between now and Feb.

MargaretMessler
08-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I could be way off base, but I don't see them permanently getting rid of the "old" FP system. It works too well when everyone follows the rules. Enforcing the time windows will help that.

faline
08-13-2012, 07:22 PM
There's lot of talk about Disney moving to a technology based fast pass system. It would appear that the introduction of wifi into the Magic Kingdom is the next step along that road. Not sure what timeline Disney might be talking about so don't know if there will be significant changes within the next 6 months or not.

MargaretMessler
08-14-2012, 03:24 AM
There's lot of talk about Disney moving to a technology based fast pass system. It would appear that the introduction of wifi into the Magic Kingdom is the next step along that road. Not sure what timeline Disney might be talking about so don't know if there will be significant changes within the next 6 months or not.

Interesting. Do you mean just doing away with the paper tickets but distributing the "passes" in the same manner, or going over to something like Six Flags has where you get a little scanner gadget that you carry around and scan to go into the ride? I'd totally be on board with eliminating the paper and somehow just having it be linked to your actual park ticket.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Disney seems to be testing and trying out a couple of different ideas. Lots of details (but we don't know exactly how it be implemented) are in this News & Rumour Thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=191016).

Yes, it is expected to be more electronic, and with some FP available in advance, not just at the ride itself.

But, we don't know the timing or ETA of when Disney hopes to implement.

Gregandmel
08-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeah I knew that they were going to start implementing something more electronically advanced. I've been reading things here and there about it. They know they need to return to the ride within their window. I just wasn't sure about any new process, such as being able to plan wayyyyy ahead of time what rides you want a FP for and then planning your day all in one swoop. I'll keep checking the threads to see what's current so they are well prepared on what to expect regarding any new designs to the system. THANKS!