PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see more of Florida after Disney?

michellez54
08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
We are planning to drive down (20+ hours) the week before Thanksgiving. We have a few days scheduled at Disney:mickey:. We'd like to see more of Florida since we are driving this time.

Anyone like to road-trip the state? Looking for suggestions. We're not thrill ride riders, so Universal or Busch is not a big draw.

I'm thinking beaches, (are they warm enough in Nov?):swim: or other big attractions. Is Cape Canaveral worth the $$? I know it's a long way to Key West, but is it worth the drive to say we've been there?

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!

I would highly recommend a day at Kennedy Space Center, we've been twice and really enjoyed it both times, well worth the drive and the $$.

If you're out that way, it is a easy jump to Coco Beach, if you have a day that's warm enough. (We've had super warm days in November, and days quite on the cool side).

We went to Key West a couple of years ago too, and I would go ... the drive is awesome in itself.

Either way, enjoy your Disney time, and your Florida time.

dnickels
08-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Long, long way to drive to Key West if you're just going to say you've been there or for an afternoon. If you were going and staying in the keys for a few days that'd be one thing but I don't think I'd drive down just to say I've done it.

Average water temp at Cocoa Beach for late Nov. looks like it's in the mid to low 70s from the first Google hit I got. The gulf side would probably be a touch warmer, but not more than 2-3 degrees. Great beaches in either direction of course, just about anything from beaches near the piers that are very built up to national seashores with nothing more than a few pit toilets.

I've rarely heard people say they were disappointed with a visit to the space center at Canaveral so yes, most seem to think it's well worth the $$.

Other ideas - Florida has some great state parks, rails to trails type bike trails, great places for bird watching, some neat historical (by Florida standards so ~100 years old) downtowns worth a visit and that time of year there will be a number of festivals going on if that's your cup of tea. Canoeing or kayaking some of the rivers, swimming/snorkeling/tubing in the springs.

We actually are a lot more than theme parks. :D

joonyer
08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
St. Augustine and the Castillo de San Marcos (built in 1672) is another interesting place to visit.

Lindsey310
08-13-2012, 12:50 PM
We love sarasota, siesta key beach! It's like a little slice of the Caribbean in Florida!! Or Sanibel island is great too!!!

mickeyman42
08-14-2012, 06:47 AM
when we went in feb we stayed at my in-laws timeshare in cocoa beach. it was weird to go to florida and not disney (that was by choice) but we had a great time. the beach is great, watching cruise ships was cool, cocoa beach is very touristy, obviously, but in a good way! lots of restaurants, local and chain, good shopping, lots to see and do well worth a trip out that way. took maybe 45 mins from MCO to get to cocoa beach, so about the same from Disney I would say.
on our next trip, next week, we may pop out to siesta keys for a day, not sure how far away, i guess a few hours, but it looks like a beautiful beach also we are going for 2 weeks so some non-park exploring is going to be nice

Altair
08-14-2012, 06:45 PM
The Disney Wilderness Preserve is nearby. It's a chance to see the real Florida. For some reason it is not open on weekends.:confused:

Another cool place is Caladesi Island State Park just north of Clearwater. Only way onto the island is by ferry boat. :thumbsup:

Melanie
08-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Although I lived on the Gulf Coast for 3 years (and loved it), for the tourist I'd recommend, as others have, the St. Augustine area and Kennedy SC as good places to spend time away from central Florida. There is a lot more indeed to FL than the theme parks. :thumbsup:

Christine
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Disney's Vero Beach resort! Hands down our favorite resort and favorite beach vacation spot just outside of Disney World!

LVT
08-16-2012, 07:24 AM
not much more
Cocoa beach 2x
Kennedy Space Center 1x
Nature reserves in that area (I watch birds)
Morse Museum in ORlando (Tiffany stuff)

PETE FROM NYC
08-31-2012, 04:18 PM
OK, so you want more of Florida than Disney?
I did not know there was more to Florida.

Melanie
08-31-2012, 05:59 PM
I did not know there was more to Florida.

SO much more! I'm just sad it took me so long to figure that out.

Dopey's Girl
09-01-2012, 09:57 AM
There is so much to see and do in FL. My family loves the gulf coast of the state. St Augustine is also wonderful. I love the Keys...it's just a fun place to visit.

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2012, 01:43 PM
We stayed at Disney's Vero Beach resort several years ago. While in Vero we spent a day at Kennedy Space Center, and stopped in Cocoa Beach on the way back to Vero. Then we stopped in Disney for a few nights on the way home. We had a lot of fun at those locations.

We've also visited the Florida Keys, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami as one leg of a trip that included WDW. That was before we had kids. DH and I did that trip with our best friends and it was a blast! If you find yourself in Fort Lauderdale try to have dinner at the Mia Kai. I'm sure it's changed over the years, but we had a wonderful time there. It was a Polynesian style dinner show, and the food was wonderful. DH and I took a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale a few years after that trip and we spent the night before the cruise in Ft. L just so we could go to Mai Kai again. Now it's been over 13 years, so I couldn't say if it's still as good, or even still there.

If you don't want to do too much traveling I'd stick with Vero Beach and Kennedy Space Center. Or one of the closer options on the Gulf side. The Keys were a bit far out there, and probably not worth it if you don't have a lot of time.

Tigerinvestigator
09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
I love "Old" Florida. St.Augustine should be on everyone's list of places to visit. The Old City is fantastic at night. So many historic places to visit plus all of the old cheesy tourist attractions as well. Ripley's St. Augustine is nice as well.

Some of the lesser known places are great on the gulf side like Weeki Wachee which is now a State Park. If you have never been to see the Mermaids then you haven't seen one of the earliest tourist attractions in Florida. Brooksville which is nearby has the great roadside attraction Rogers Christmas House. Homossassa Springs is a beautiful park and not far from Weeki Wachee. We got some great photos of the Manatees up close at the park, and the nature walk is great for seeing Alligators, snakes, a Florida Panther, Black Bear, and even a Hippo. They even have an underwater viewing area for the manatees.

Silver Springs in Ocala has the glass bottom boats which are cool. I haven't been in decades though.

So many old attractions are gone, but everyone should see the ones still around to get a feel of what Florida was like in the 1970's and 1980's which was a fun time for families in the sunshine state.

mac badger
09-27-2012, 09:56 AM
all good suggestions-st augustine, space center, st pete is quite nice.you have to go to at least one beach-its what we're famous for
weeki wachee andhomosassa are both great. definitely check out a spring. its uniquely florida. the water is a constant temp of 72 degrees, so it can feel quite nice in the cooler months, esp if it is a sunny day. there is wekiwa springs state park, just outside orlando (havent been myself) and blue springs state park in deland is lovely and natural.
my 2 must does for florida are beaches and springs

Donald A
10-17-2012, 06:37 PM
There is a place down by where I live (SE Winter Haven) that is no more than an hour from WDW. It is called Bok Tower Gardens. Pretty nice gardens and a huge bell tower on the highest point in Florida (which still isn't that high). Anyways, it is nice for an adult but young children would probably be bored. It is in Lake Wales near the intersection of US 27 and St. Rt. 60 (which takes you towards Vero Beach to the East). Might be worth getting online and seeing if it is something you might enjoy.

dnickels
10-17-2012, 07:56 PM
There is a place down by where I live (SE Winter Haven) that is no more than an hour from WDW. It is called Bok Tower Gardens. Pretty nice gardens and a huge bell tower on the highest point in Florida (which still isn't that high). Anyways, it is nice for an adult but young children would probably be bored. It is in Lake Wales near the intersection of US 27 and St. Rt. 60 (which takes you towards Vero Beach to the East). Might be worth getting online and seeing if it is something you might enjoy.

Bok Tower gardens is a great place! FWIW though it's not built on the highest point in Florida though occasionally news articles mistakenly claim it to be. 'Sugarloaf Mountain' over by Clermont is the highest point in peninsular Florida, and Britton Hill up in the panhandle is the highest point in the state. Great biking out near Sugarloaf if you want to get in some hill workouts.