PDA

View Full Version : Give me stuff to be excited about

Cinderelley
08-13-2012, 04:23 AM
Group: Adults from 19-40s

I am planning a 14 day trip to WDW with a group of family and friends, but I can't get excited about it. Everything I am interested in doing can be fit into about 6 days, and we'll be spending a few days at Universal. So far I have

Arrival day - Eating at the pasta station at POR and a Carriage ride in the evening
Day 2 - AK and Raglan Road for dinner (I enjoy Raglan Road)
Day 3 - DHS with the FDP at Mama Melrose ( I really don't like Fantasmic, but there are a lot of new people who haven't seen it.)
Day 4 - Epcot - Dinner at Teppan Edo with an Illuminations Cruise after wards

We'll also have our "required" visits to Crystal Palace (everyone returning wants) and Whispering Canyon Cafe (my kids' choice. I'm not a fan) along with two MNSSHPs.

Give me some things to get me going. They're all looking to me to give them fun and exciting details. :blush:

faline
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
With a 14-day trip, you'll have lots of time to take things slowly and relax.

Have you planned some days to hang out at the pool? Go shopping at Downtown Disney? Perhaps a water park day?

Are you planning to wear costumes to the Halloween parties? How about a tour? Have you planned to do the new game in the Magic Kingdom? A hidden Mickey hunt?

Brer_Fox
08-14-2012, 12:52 PM
You can create whats called as a crawl..
Example, Do a Cupcake Crawl... go to several of the Bakeries threw out the Disney Property (Parks and resorts) and sample a cupcake from each and determine which one you liked best. You can create anything into a crawl.

Spend a few days and go to Universal Studious or Gatorland.

TinkerbellT421
08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Spend an evening on the Boardwalk, watch the nightly entertainment, try to volunteer for one, shop, stop somewhere for dinner at Cape May, or even ESPN, watch the dueling pianos (I believe it is at Flying Fish??). Go to the Atlantic Dance hall and dance the night away. Walk over to the Beach Club and watch a movie at night on the beach.

darthmacho
08-14-2012, 02:42 PM
We're starting a 14 day trip next week, and I feel like there isn't enough time to do all of the things I want to do! :mickey:

Anyway, here are some ideas for enhancing your trip and bringing home memories:

Explore your home resort! It sounds like you're staying at Port Orleans Riverside? I absolutely love this resort! There's actually a whole website on this resort and its back story. Look for all of the details that go into it.

Look for Hidden Mickeys, hidden gems, or other details around the parks and make a photo album of your finds.

Bring a book and chillax by the resort pool.

Do you have a favorite ride or attraction? Keep getting back into line!

Resort hop. Visit as many resorts as you can, at least along the monorail, near Epcot, or where you may dine. At the very least, include French Quarter in your exploration.

Mini-golf? Water park? Downtown Disney via the boat from POR?

I hope that helps! :mickey:

Crow
08-14-2012, 05:09 PM
explore the resort, boat to DD and check it out.
explore crawl the resorts. esp on a non park day, :beer::marg: use the monorails
Epcot, i like:beer::marg:but checking out the diff stores, countries, small things like some of the displays in areas of the pavilions.
walk out the International gateway to the Boardwalk, ride the boats to DHS.
go to DD and pair off into groups, do a hunt and have people take the buses to MK or Epcot or DHS, let them figure the best way since there is no direct bus. you have to go to a resort and get a bus or walk..
take a tour

Itchy
08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I saw a lot of things that you didnt like to do but were willing to do them for the others in your party. I would include a few things that you look forward to on each trip.

Other than that just remember that you will be going to the happiest place in the world and will be sharing you love it with some first timers.

Let them share in your excitement..:mickey:

Cinderelley
08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
We're starting a 14 day trip next week, and I feel like there isn't enough time to do all of the things I want to do! :mickey:

Bring a book and chillax by the resort pool.

That is how I usually feel Darthmacho. It is very unusual for me to be like this, and I think you really hit the nail on the head with this suggestion. I think a bad job situation, being a single mom, trying to recuperate from almost dying, etc has really burned me out. Some time just for me would probably be good. In fact, I think I'll try it sometime before our trip. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Now I have things to bring to the table when those who ARE excited want to plan things out. I don't want to dampen their excitement.

Brer_Fox
08-15-2012, 12:45 PM
That is how I usually feel Darthmacho. It is very unusual for me to be like this, and I think you really hit the nail on the head with this suggestion. I think a bad job situation, being a single mom, trying to recuperate from almost dying, etc has really burned me out. Some time just for me would probably be good. In fact, I think I'll try it sometime before our trip. ;)

There are alot of people out there who fell like this so your not alone. Some ideas that might help rekindle that Disney Spark are:
1. Every Friday Night do a countdown meal in a disney theme. Do a Pirates of the Carribeans theme with Carribean food.
2. Pan movie nights and watch some of your favorite disney movies like Monsters Inc. or Beauty and the Beast.
3. If you have done so already, order the disney planning video.
4. Go to the disney website and create your custom park maps of your favorite attractions and cant miss items.

These are just a few things I have done to get myself super excited right before one of our trips.

BrerGnat
08-15-2012, 01:42 PM
My advice would be to stop stressing over it. Stop planning everything. Stop wondering what else you can do that will make you excited.

Sometimes, when we spend too much time dwelling on any one thing, we get burned out thinking about it. You are probably not that excited because you are overthinking it.

Just arrive and savor the fact that you have 14 DAYS to do whatever you want. And, do just that. Let the others be responsible for their own fun and enjoyment and worry only about yourself and your child. It's a vacation, and it should feel like one!

VWL Mom
08-15-2012, 03:52 PM
My advice would be to stop stressing over it. Stop planning everything. Stop wondering what else you can do that will make you excited.

Sometimes, when we spend too much time dwelling on any one thing, we get burned out thinking about it. You are probably not that excited because you are overthinking it.

Just arrive and savor the fact that you have 14 DAYS to do whatever you want. And, do just that. Let the others be responsible for their own fun and enjoyment and worry only about yourself and your child. It's a vacation, and it should feel like one!

Wonderful advice Natalie!

kcrc
08-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Try to think of something that would be new to ALL of you, so you will all get that first time experience together! A few of ours for our next trip are:
Eat at Boma and then get to check out the resort and animals.

See Circue du Soleil

Go to Jellyrolls

We are going to "snack around the world" and share a snack from each country in Epcot.

Some of our other favorites are:

Plan a night to just hang by the pool and watch the movie. If POR isn't doing that, go to Ft Wilderness maybe after Whispering Canyon and do the sing along and movie.

Rent boats or bikes. Does not have to be at your home resort.

Plan a late reservation at one of the restaurants with prime viewing for the nighttime show (ohanas, rose and crown, etc)

You may be stressed now, but I'm sure things will turn out "magical"! :mickey:

Cinderelley
08-19-2012, 01:35 AM
If POR isn't doing that, go to Ft Wilderness maybe after Whispering Canyon and do the sing along and movie.

Oh that is something we have talked about doing, but we've never made it.

On the up side, I had two days off of work in which I lounged around and did what I wanted to do. My attitude is sooooooo much better now.

My friend and I are also going to take off for a weekend in October just to get away. It is amazing what a little break can do for your outlook in life.