PDA

View Full Version : No Planes, but trains and automobiles – Part 7 – Disney’s The BoardWalk 2 Jul 29-Aug

Mickey'sGirl
08-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Cast:
DH – Brian (CanadianWDWFan) Turning 45 on this trip
DS14 – Harry – Celebrating graduating from Grade 8 (High School already?!?!?)
DS8 ˝ – Euan – Celebrating his Half-Birthday because we can’t go down in January
Me – Jennifer – Just happy to be making the trip with my guys!

Tuesday we went back to Epcot. One of the reasons we love the BoardWalk so much is because of its proximity to Epcot. We spend a lot of time at Epcot, not doing anything in particular, but really enjoying our time. We hit Spaceship Earth and went into Innoventions, and traded some pins (we had a mission), and then went out to the World Showcase to do some more incredibly fun Agent P missions. Originally we had planned to have dinner at the Biergarten that evening, but we decided to cancel (it was really too hot for such heavy food). Instead, we went to Tokyo Dining for lunch. Lovely food, lovely service, lovely time … and we did an Agent P mission in Japan as well. After lunch, Harry decided to go back to the Boardwalk to read, while Brian, Euan and I continued our Agent P adventures. By this point, we were over by Canada. Earlier in the summer I had found an old World Showcase Passport that I had bought when the boys were little, and I decided to bring it for Euan to take around with him. So we went into the Canadian Kitcot station, and Euan got his passport stamped and a message writted by our fellow countryman, Amanda. Euan also started a Duffy colouring puppet. On the back, Amanda had drawn a Disneyfied Canadian flag and stamped the handle. Through the week Euan continued to passport and Duffy at all the Kidcot stops and managed to complete both. It was a great way to talk to people, and since the passport was an “older model”, the CM’s were all quite interested in it and had good discussions with him. It was great fun. Eventually, we made our way back to the Boardwalk and our first born, who was all asnooze on the couch. I made dinner in the room that night, and then we took Harry over to meet our local friend so they could go fishing. Brian, Euan and I went to Starbucks before going to retrieve him, and heading back “home”.

Wednesday we had lunch reservations at the Grand Floridian Café. I had been dreaming about the Grand Floridian burger for several years, and by golly, we were going to get over there this time!! We decided to drive over to the Grand Floridian and valet park. We had time before our lunch reservation, so we took the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom to spend a couple of hours. The big boys finally got to ride Space Mountain, while Euan and I rode Buzz. We had arranged to meet over by the AStro Orbiter entrance, but we thought we were early and opted to go meet them in the arcade at the end of Space Mountain. Euan noticed some “massage” chairs (Only $1 for 3 minutes Mom!), so I spend a couple of bucks and he got massaged (actually a very good activity for him as he seeks proprioceptic activities). Well, hadn’t Brian and Harry already made it through and were out waiting for us by the AStro Orbiter. No problem. We all got on the TTA, and then roamed down Main Street through the shops looking at/for pins. Harry decided that we should do a tour of the park on the railroad, and since we had time before lunch, we did. I love doing the tour, and we were laughing thinking of the last time we were on it and the heavens opened up, and exactly one half of Harry’s body got soaked. After the train we left and took the resort launch across to the Grand Floridian. We got off the boat just as it started to rain again, and out of nowhere a nice guy in a golf cart stopped and picked us up, and delivered us to the door closest to the Grand Floridian Café, where we enjoyed a very good lunch. After lunch we wandered around the shops for a bit, made a couple of Grumpy T-shirt purchases for Harry, and then retrieved our car and headed back to the Boardwalk. Later in the day, we went back over to Epcot to do some more missions, and continue working on Euan’s passport/Duffy quests. We ate at La Cantina de San Angel, where the tables were all occupied by ignorant people reserving seats for Illuminations, whilst actual patrons had nowhere to sit. It was disgraceful (and the
food wasn’t very good either). We rode SSE again before going back to the BoardWalk.

Thursday we went back to the Studios. We went and got Fastpasses for Toy Story Mania, and then lined up in the Standby queue (it was posted at 40 minutes). After riding, we went out and through One Man’s Dream and then over to Star Tours. We grabbed some lunch at the BAcklot Express, and then headed up to Lights, Motors, Action. We had never seen it due to Euan’s extreme sensitivities, but he had expressed an interest in seeing the man on fire (he’s 8 … what do you expect?). We waited a bit in the shaded area, and then got decent central seats for the show. The boys really enjoyed it and we’re glad that we have finally seen it. A side note is that the washrooms right near the LMA stadium are awesomely clean. I will now make a point of visiting them! After the show, it was time for our Toy Story Mania fastpasses. We meandered around a bit longer, then made our way out to the boat (where Harry again left us in favour of a walk) and back to the BoardWalk. We went down for a swim before heading to Kouzzina’s for an unscheduled dinner. After dinner we watched the entertainment for a while before heading back to the room. I wanted to finish up as much laundry as possible before checking out of our 1 bedroom the next morning.

Dopey's Girl
08-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I love the GF Cafe. I think it's overlooked many times, but we love it!

Caroleh
08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Sounds like an awesome time!!!!

faline
08-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Glad you finally made it to the Grand Floridian Cafe!! It's a real favorite of mine - such a nice, relaxed place to dine.

Am loving your nice, relaxed pace!!

Melanie
08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Did you end up doing all the Agent P missions? We did France during soft openings, but didn't have a chance to do anymore. Loved it when Agent P flew overhead!

DizNee143
08-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Really having a great vacation!!! :mickey:

Joannelet
08-16-2012, 05:05 AM
I cannot wait to do some Agent P missions when we go! My son did his Duffy the last time we were there around world showcase and loved it. I love Grand Floridian Cafe too. My sis in law had her wedding shower there. The food is very good. Another great day!

January-2007
08-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the trip report.

Dsnygirl
08-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Another great sounding day... did you guys find the Agent P missions to be very different from KimPossible? We enjoyed them, and are looking forward to trying the new format... and I so agree with you on the "view saving" that goes on at La Cantina... they really ought to patrol the area and make sure that those "saving" the tables are actually eating and patrons of the restaurant. :confused: Glad you had a good time, anyway!!

vizsla
09-01-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the report.