PDA

View Full Version : No Planes, but trains and automobiles – Part 1 – Washington DC Jul 21-23

Mickey'sGirl
08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Cast:
DH – Brian (CanadianWDWFan) Turning 45 on this trip
DS14 – Harry – Celebrating graduating from Grade 8 (High School already?!?!?)
DS8 ½ – Euan – Celebrating his Half-Birthday because we can’t go down in January
Me – Jennifer – Just happy to be making the trip with my guys!

We left dark and early (at 2:30 am Saturday) to drive to Washington DC. We were taking the Autotrain from Lorton VA on Monday afternoon, so we wanted to spend a couple of days checking out the Smithsonian Museums beforehand. We arrived at the New Air and Space Museum at about 11 am. Both Brian and Harry are plane nerds, and this place was Nirvana for them (though it bothered Harry that the US rebranded European aircraft with different names … the V1 rocket really got his goat, but that’s a tale for another day). The Space Shuttle was spectacular … really an incredible thing to see so closely. It had almost become art with the markings made on it from its many missions. The tiles had become marked and streaked and spotted and mottled by debris up in the heavens and it was really quite beautiful. We spent several hours at the Air and Space before going to check in at our hotel in Arlington. We were all very tired, so after going out for a very good dinner, then having a swim, we hit the hay.

The next day (Sunday) we walked over to the Metro station to take the train in to the Mall. We wanted to see the Museum of American History. We spent most of the morning down on the lower floor where there were Cars and Trains and technology and electricity and all the kinds of stuff my nerd family really enjoys. We ate some lunch in the Cafeteria there (it was enjoyable enough), then headed up to the upper levels to look at some of the other exhibits before heading out to the Mall mid-afternoon. While walking towards the Washington Monument, the President’s helicopter flew overhead, and by the time we crested the hill where the Monument stands, it had landed on the front lawn of the White House, and we had a clear view! Pretty cool. We continued along to the Reflecting Pool and Lincoln Memorial. Brian wanted to see the WWII Memorial, which was not there last time we visited in 2000. A really fabulous tribute to the service men and women … Then we walked back across the Mall to the Metro and back to our hotel. After a bit of a clean-up at the hotel, we decided to go out on a drive to see other Washington sights … We love the FDR Memorial, especially the statue of him sitting alongside dear Fala. We also visited the Pentagon Memorial, in honour of those who lost their lives from in the air, and at the Pentagon on 9-11. Such a tranquil and beautiful place … using water and benches which follow the plane’s path.

The next morning, we got up and headed out to see Iwo Jima Memorial Statue which was around the corner from our hotel. We also went to see the Air Force Memorial, which was right near the Pentagon (the three spires arching up into the sky). While we were there, an international group of Service people had arrived to visit as well. We were all very impressed by the Monuments and Memorials in Washington DC. America has really evolved with the times as far as these tributes are concerned … Recent additions are modern and up to date. Really nicely done.
Now it was time to head a few miles away to board the Autotrain in Lorton VA! The next leg of our adventure was about to begin!

Caroleh
08-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Sounds like a great first day!!!

Dopey's Girl
08-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Fun! I was in DC last summer and am dying to go back. There is just so much to see and do!

faline
08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I always love your reports so am really looking forward to reading this set!

Haven't been to DC in quite some time. Sounds like it may be time to plan a trip back again!

Melanie
08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Love reading all this Jen, since we did a lot of these things yesterday and in the last few weeks. ;) My hubby was just telling me about the Pentagon memorial, and I'm wanting to get over to see it as soon as possible. Now, for that Air Force Memorial - BLECH!! I really dislike it. No offense to any of our Airmen on the boards, but goodness, that thing is an eyesore (IMO).

Great day in DC for you guys. Anxious to hear how the train ride went.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
What a great start! We are slowly working our way through the great museums and monuments in Washington and have really enjoyed it.

Fingers are crossed that you had a good time on the train.

vizsla
08-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the report.

DizNee143
08-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Sounds like a great time in the DC area! Great start to your vacation :mickey:

emerzmom
08-15-2012, 10:20 AM
What a wonderful experience for your family. I travel quite a bit to DC for work and my favorite way to spend an afternoon is going through museums at the Smithsonian. I can't wait to read more about your trip!
:tink:
Julie

January-2007
08-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Glad you had a good time. I always like the Air and Space Museum.

Dsnygirl
08-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Sounds like the beginnings of a wonderful trip.... would love to visit those places!