PDA

View Full Version : what age to stop using a stroller?

BigRedDad
08-11-2012, 03:50 PM
My dd will be 7 on our next visit. Our stroller is a great McLaren stroller good up to 70Lbs. I did not plan on taking it, but there are great benefits to do so.

#1 It helps my mother be able to walk more in the parks
#2 It is great for storing all of the junk we have: drinks, camera bag, snacks, etc.
#3 It will help DD's legs when she needs a break. We will not let her ride the whole time.

This will be the last trip with it though. What is everyone else's thoughts?

faline
08-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Whatever you and your family are comfortable with!

Itchy
08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I agree with faline, what works for you.

I would suggest that you take it and maybe try a short trip to the park one day without the stroller to see how well it works out.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

phlo8810
08-11-2012, 05:31 PM
We didn't bring one last trip for our 4yo and ending up renting one every day!! Our seven year old has not used one at wdw since he was 3 so we thought we'd be alright. Every child and situation is different.

phlo8810
08-11-2012, 05:32 PM
and I'm 35 and always "volunteered" to push the stroller. makes the walk much easier!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I agree - if it makes your trip better, use it!

DD used the stroller when she was 6 1/2, but didn't need it when she went back at 8. But, I REALLY missed the place to put and store all of our stuff.

BigRedDad
08-11-2012, 07:41 PM
I am taking it regardless. It helps my mom tremendously. I am going to try to make my DD walks as much as possible. I would rather have it and not need it instead of needing it and not having it.

buzznwoodysmom
08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Every child and family are differnet. My oldest didn't even want to look at a stroller once he was 6 or 7. My youngest still wanted to rent a stroller on his birthday trip when he was turning 9. LOL.

Both of my kids are extremely active, and youngest DS isn't a lazy kid, but when in WDW he would say "it's vacation, I don't want to walk". By the way, we didn't rent a stroller for him on that trip when he turned 9 and he did just fine.

I know that there are people who think children over the age of 3 or 4 have no business in a stroller, but really it's up to you and no one else's business.

Disneylover99
08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Definitely take it. better to have it. You never know when it might be necessary.

Imalismom
08-11-2012, 08:42 PM
haha... My 19 year old asked me two days ago if I thought she could fit into the double stroller so I could push her LOL

I say bring it - it was so hot this week, that the sun may just cause a little one to want to ride and not walk on the hot asphalt..

j2k
08-11-2012, 09:52 PM
My DD is 5 and we brought our stroller with us this week. Some days we left it in the room and those days my DD was miserable by early afternoon because of the heat. She's small for her age and her little legs would tire out.
I say bring it. Especially if it helps out your family.

gerald72
08-11-2012, 10:28 PM
and I'm 35 and always "volunteered" to push the stroller. makes the walk much easier!

I thought you were going to write that you are 35 and still ride in the stroller.
No age limit! Whatever works for you!

Mickey'sGirl
08-11-2012, 10:32 PM
4 was the last time for either of my children. My older son didn't care, but my younger one is lazy and whined about it. When he realized how much more efficiently we did things and how much more freedom he had without a stroller he stopped complaining though. He has mobility issues and sensory issues and we could have made excuses to keep using one and I too would appreciate something to lean on (I have RA), but I honestly think anything over age 5 is too old.

Katzateer
08-12-2012, 09:22 AM
My dirty little secret is we always take a cheap umbrella stroller with us. Not for the kids anymore - we just use it to store our water bottles and ponchos and anyother non-valuables.

And it helps me to have it - can sit my backpack or purse in it while walking. I have bad knees and it really helps to have one to push and lean into!

And grandma was little enough she sat in the double stroller waiting for fireworks the last few trips she went. She could walk but was really tired at end of the day and the girls thought it was funny when she sat with them!

Melanie
08-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Like everyone has said, whatever works best for your family and your circumstances.

Personally, we were glad to rid ourselves of it. My oldest never used one, but he didn't go to a Disney park until he was 5. On that same trip, my youngest was 3 and we used an umbrella. No more after that. They walked or rode on their dad's shoulders. It's what worked for US.

darthmacho
08-12-2012, 10:13 AM
My dd will be 7 on our next visit. Our stroller is a great McLaren stroller good up to 70Lbs. I did not plan on taking it, but there are great benefits to do so.

#1 It helps my mother be able to walk more in the parks
#2 It is great for storing all of the junk we have: drinks, camera bag, snacks, etc.
#3 It will help DD's legs when she needs a break. We will not let her ride the whole time.

This will be the last trip with it though. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Personally, I hated using strollers on our vacations (not just WDW) all those years, and could not wait to get rid of the thing. I found it a distraction to keep track of, a pain to maneuver around, and by the end of the day it was a rolling junk yard. On the other hand, my wife loved having it, so she could pile all kinds of stuff on it that she would otherwise have to carry. My solution for that is, stop bringing so much stuff! :mickey:

That being said, the reasons you have given for having the stroller make it sound like the stroller may be a good choice for you, especially if it helps not one, but two people get around the park more easily. Good luck with your decision!