PDA

View Full Version : Is Festival of the Lion King CLOSING in Jan. 2013?

MickeysBestPal
08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
On the website Screamscape today they are reporting...

-Festival of the Lion King show is expected to close in January to make way for Avatar. The long term plan is to move to into a new theater somewhere, but it sounds like the show will close down completely long before this happens.

Credible info or not?

DizneyFreak2002
08-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Semi-sorta... The plan is to move Festival of the Lion King to make way for Avatar... But no one has ever said when... or where it would be moving to... Some speculate behind Tusker House.. For sure it would be moving to the Africa section of DAK...

I have personally speculated after the holidays and said January/February time frame figuring they would keep it open during the holiday season and close it when the holiday crowd leaves...

MickeysBestPal
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Semi-sorta... The plan is to move Festival of the Lion King to make way for Avatar... But no one has ever said when... or where it would be moving to... Some speculate behind Tusker House.. For sure it would be moving to the Africa section of DAK...

I have personally speculated after the holidays and said January/February time frame figuring they would keep it open during the holiday season and close it when the holiday crowd leaves...

My reluctance to believe this is in the timing.

Since the Avatar project is not ready to break ground, but they have already filed plans on the new-build of the FoLK Theater,
why would they need to close this popular show so soon?

They could easily start the new theater construction and continue the show in it's Camp Minnie Mickey spot until such time as the demolition begins in preparation for Avatar.

Crow
08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
i heard it might move somewhere also..

BrerSchultzy
08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Do you think they'll update it too? Aren't those floats from an old Disneyland parade? Maybe they need time to rehearse with a new show and set.

potzie
08-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Since the Avatar project is not ready to break ground, but they have already filed plans on the new-build of the FoLK Theater,

They could easily start the new theater construction and continue the show in it's Camp Minnie Mickey spot until such time as the demolition begins in preparation for Avatar.

This is TDO, it's likely a cost savings opportunity. I can't imagine the show is cheap to put on, it is a very large cast. If they can shut it down during the slow period at the beginning of the year and save the staffing costs I wouldn't put it past them at all.

Ian
08-10-2012, 01:50 PM

They could easily start the new theater construction and continue the show in it's Camp Minnie Mickey spot until such time as the demolition begins in preparation for Avatar.It's the same thing they did with Snow White's Scary Adventures. They'll close it early because they have an excuse to and it will save them lots of money.

This is TDO we're talkinga bout after all ...

DizneyFreak2002
08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
It's the same thing they did with Snow White's Scary Adventures. They'll close it early because they have an excuse to and it will save them lots of money.

This is TDO we're talkinga bout after all ...

Which falls in line with more entertainment cuts coming...

I'm curious as to the permit that was just filed for "Theater in the Wild Development"... :confused:

DizneyRox
08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Closing Festival means they can in effect block off the entire Camp Minnie Mickey leaving them the need to only put one CM at the walkway directing people away, instead of the whole area needing staff.

Oodles and oodles of $$ savings...

BTW - Theater in the Wild is the Nemo Theater, right? Construction there? Maybe they will dual purpose that theater for Nemo AND Lion King.

DizneyFreak2002
08-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Closing Festival means they can in effect block off the entire Camp Minnie Mickey leaving them the need to only put one CM at the walkway directing people away, instead of the whole area needing staff.

Oodles and oodles of $$ savings...

BTW - Theater in the Wild is the Nemo Theater, right? Construction there? Maybe they will dual purpose that theater for Nemo AND Lion King.

Theater in the Wild is Nemo... It only interested me for a moment because while discussing this elsewhere, someone said Lion King would wind up replacing Nemo, then the permit was filed... Coincidence probably...

Anyway, some rumors are now going around that FotLK won't even be coming back once it is shut down for Avatar construction... This goes against everything else that has been discussed... another wait and see situation...

Cinderelley
08-11-2012, 03:36 AM
I hope not. I love FotLK. :cloud9:

seanyred
08-11-2012, 08:43 AM
When are the new meet and great scheduled to open? I remember reading they were moving the ones by Camp MM to a indoor location.

DizneyFreak2002
08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I hope not. I love FotLK. :cloud9:

Personally, I don't think the show will close for good, but I would expect it to close for several months... The only plan I ever read including FotLK just moving it behind Tusker House...

When are the new meet and great scheduled to open? I remember reading they were moving the ones by Camp MM to a indoor location.

I don't remember when the new meet and greets were opening in Beastly Bazaar... Yes, they are closing the meet and greets in CMM and moving them to BB...

seanyred
08-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't remember when the new meet and greets were opening in Beastly Bazaar... Yes, they are closing the meet and greets in CMM and moving them to BB...

This is just a guess but I would suspect that as soon as the new meet n greets open at Beastly Bazaar that Camp MM would close.

Cinderelley
08-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Personally, I don't think the show will close for good, but I would expect it to close for several months... The only plan I ever read including FotLK just moving it behind Tusker House...

I am so happy to hear this. :D Our next trip isn't until Sept, 2013, so maybe they will have it open by then.

Anthony007
08-12-2012, 02:40 PM
We would be greatly disappointed if it's closed in August 2013, I think my then to be 2 yr old will love it.

Tink#64
08-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Aww man! We're planning on being there next June & FotLK is my AK favorite! Which, btw, is my least favorite park! I only have 4 must do's there, FotLK, EE, Dinosaur & Bugs Life, lunch at Flame Tree BBQ & we're out of there! Wow, if it's closed when we visit, I'll be so bummed! :(

Lindsey310
08-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Shari: how about Kilimanjaro safari?? Not on your to do list when you visit animal kingdom?? Love that ride, one of my faves! :thumbsup:

Anyways, I love festival of the lion king but after seeing it SO many times, I'm kind of ready for something else to go there. A great show with lots of talent but I think it's time for a change!

Butters
08-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Anyways, I love festival of the lion king but after seeing it SO many times, I'm kind of ready for something else to go there. A great show with lots of talent but I think it's time for a change!

I agree 100%

Tink#64
08-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Lindsey310, I guess I feel the same about Kilimanjaro Safari as you do about FotLK! :D We always do it, but because my DS's still ask to. I enjoy KS, but definitely no longer on my must do list. But I love the music & the pageantry of FotLK & I love that movie so when we experience this attraction it's another piece of the WDW magic to me! :simba:

Cinderelley
08-15-2012, 03:25 AM
But I love the music & the pageantry of FotLK & I love that movie so when we experience this attraction it's another piece of the WDW magic to me! :simba:

I still cry when I see it. :blush:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
I still cry when I see it. :blush:

Goosebumps every time--I sure hope they keep it! One of my favorites!!!

LebelJD
08-19-2012, 08:22 PM
We heard from a CM in July that FotLK will be moving to a location somewhere behind Tusker House, and they are planning to enlarge and partially enclose Dawa Bar to handle the increase in traffic that will result.

However, as with all things Disney, nothing is official until it is announced (and then is still subject to change).

DizneyFreak2002
08-19-2012, 11:28 PM
We heard from a CM in July that FotLK will be moving to a location somewhere behind Tusker House, and they are planning to enlarge and partially enclose Dawa Bar to handle the increase in traffic that will result.

However, as with all things Disney, nothing is official until it is announced (and then is still subject to change).

So far that is the last plan I had heard as well... And a new trail from Discovery Island would be built to lead down to it... I think there will be two trails..

DizneyRox
08-20-2012, 07:23 AM
So far that is the last plan I had heard as well... And a new trail from Discovery Island would be built to lead down to it... I think there will be two trails..
That's an interesting layout... That would mean another bridge across he river. I'm trying to get a layout imagined in my end, but I can't. The Dawa Bar area is already pretty congested, even worse up near Tusker House. I guess we just wait and see...

Dsnygirl
08-30-2012, 03:06 AM

Crossing my fingers & toes as tightly as I can... it's my very favorite show bar NONE at Disney, I'd be devastated if it closed. :( Hoping against all hope that it is moved and given a bigger, better venue so they can even expand the show a bit! :D