PDA

View Full Version : Wine and Dine Half Marathon

KH
08-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Is anyone training for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon in November?

We're doing a family run- I'll be joining my DW, DD, DS, sister, brother-in-law and nephew for what looks to be a really fun night.

I've run a few half marathons before, including the 2010 and 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend races, and the family run will not be particularly fast, but I need to start training with a little more purpose! The race is only about 90 days away! My biggest issue with running a race during a WDW trip is to make sure I'm in good enough shape that the park days following the race are not screwed up because of aches and pains. That's my incentive.

If you're getting ready to race, good luck with your training and preparation. If you haven't done anything like this, but it sounds interesting, do it! I was 50 years old when I ran my first half (at WDW), and I'm in better shape now than I was at age 35. And it's really fun!

clausjo
08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm running!

This is my first 1/2 marathon and I'm getting pretty excited about it. I'll be running (and staying with) my sister who lives in Orlando. I have to say that even though I don't really enjoy running, I have been enjoying sending times back and forth with my sister. She ran the princess half last year and one of the 5Ks earlier this year. She's 12 years younger than me (I'm 41) but I think I can keep up. I'm training at altitude so I think we'll even out in the end.

I've been using the Disney Run training guides and it's definately helping. I have to say though, I tend to walk at least as much as I run, but my time is still okay. My goal is to not finish last (or be picked up by the sweepers!)

Good luck! Maybe we'll see you at the after party!

KH
08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
That's great! When my brother-in-law and I did our first race we were worried about the sweepers too, but a walk/run combination is more than fast enough.

I can't wait for the party, too!

Melanie
08-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I can't wait for the party, too!

The party is awesome! :walk: :wine: :chef: :beer:

Good luck to you both!!! :thumbsup:

Lacy
08-21-2012, 10:39 PM
I am running the half along with my brother-in-law. I am going for the Coast to Coast and will be running at the DL Half in two weeks!!! I convinced my whole family to come for the Wine and Dine and will also be meeting a wonderful friend who is also a fellow intercotee. She will be running her first half! I can't wait and think the after party will be a lot of fun. Plus it will be my DS's first trip to the World!

clausjo - I'm from CO too and ran my first half at Disneyland in 2010. And I can attest to the altitude training being a real benefit. I never felt winded the whole time although I wasn't very fast, I'm hoping to improve my time this year.

Good luck to everyone else training!

badkitty
08-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Hey Lacy! I'm running the Disneyland Half, too! Well, Run-Walk-Running anyway. This will be the second half of my Coast to Coast challenge. Good luck to you!

The 2012 WDW Half Marathon was the first 1/2 I had ever done. What a thrill. Disney knows how to put on a great race! I've only been running for a year now and I'll be turning 50 soon. I never thought I would be a runner. Now I'm hooked thanks to runDisney and Jeff Galloway.

I won't be able to travel out for the Wine & Dine but I'll be there for the ToT 10 miler. I can't wait.

Best of luck everyone on your training!! :walk:

kcrc
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
How long did it take most of you to get up to "half-marathon" ability? I was recently reading about all these half-marathons, and made a decision to try running - with my goal to run in one of the half marathons if I stick with it.

I've never been a runner. I'm 43. And I think if I'd like to do something like this anywhere, Disneyworld would be it! I'm definitely starting slow - with the walk - run - walk thinking. I plan on upping the "run" time each week while decreasing the "walking". Am I on the right path?

KH
08-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes! You're on the right path! Keep it up, and good luck.

anewvision
09-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Good luck my friend, I run on avg. about 70MPW.
But this will be the first race I will race hard in a while.
Maybe the hard work I have done over the hot Florida summer will pay off. Hoping for a top 25 and at almost 48 a top 30 would be okay too

clausjo
10-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone, just checking in now that we have our numbers and corrall assignments. I've been following my training schedule and generally feel pretty good, but my time is still slow - right around the 15min/mile mark. I'm in the last corrall so I'm concerned about the sweepers. My sister, who has run these before, is in Corrall C and has generously offered to stay back and start with me, but I don't think I'll take her up on that.

Where are you guys?

KH
10-25-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm assigned to Corral B, but I'll be starting in the E corral with my wife, kids, sister and brother-in-law.

Six days after I started this thread I had emergency abdominal surgery followed by a pulmonary embolism. This race will be slower than I've run in the past, but it will be a celebration of life and good health. My recovery has been aided by all of the walking I've had to do to even be able to do the race, and the race (and WDW vacation) have been a huge motivational help.

I may be slow, but there won't be a happier racer in the field! When some random old guy smiles at you and acts like this is the greatest thing ever, it's probably me. Have a great race, everyone!

Lacy
10-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Kevin - sorry to hear about that but glad you will still be able to run!!! It sounds like it is amazing what walking and exercise has done for your recovery.

And I've done other RunDisney races but for some reason I'm not remembering where we can find our corral assignments prior to the expo. I didn't see it on my waiver, what am I missing?

Can't believe the race is only 3 weeks away!

KH
10-25-2012, 11:12 PM
On the runDisney website go to the Wine and Dine Half Marathon page, the click on Runner Info and scroll down to Corral and Bib Assignment. If you've printed your waiver, your bib number is at the bottom of the page and you can use that to find your corral.

Have a great race and thanks for the kind words.