PDA

View Full Version : Illuminations: How many views per visit?

MrPeetrie
08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I was watching a program about Walt Disney World on the travel channel, when they spotlighted Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. I began to think about how much I enjoy this nighttime spectacular. But at the same time, I usually only see it once during a 10-night trip. my DW usually says, "Oh, we've seen this already. let's go." So I wondered: How many times do you watch this during your stay? On a usual trip, we are in Epcot at night at least three times, but yet we only see it once. Do you watch it more?

Giggy
08-09-2012, 12:35 PM
As a general rule once is the minimum but last time we ended up seeing it twice. We were there for 14 days and our second day was a full day in EPCOT, this was mostly focussed on Future World but we did then move on to World Showcase. It was late so we only did the Canada and United Kingdom pavilions before it started, the thought being we always start at the other end of World Showcase so rush these two normally. Later in the vacation we had a day that started at MK before catching the monorail to EPCOT around lunch time. That day we mostly focussed on World Showcase and had just got to the bridge between France and United Kingdom as Illuminations started.

As a general rule I like to get as close to everything done when there as possible because we have a few years between each visit. That doesn't mean things won't get done more than once though. Once is an absolute requirement but if I had the time and the money I'd do each of these things six or seven times and still want to do it again! :mickey:

Main Street Jim
08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
How 'bout two or three times a week? :D

My wife usually ended up at EPCOT in the evenings after working all day at MK anyways. We'd come into the park, have dinner somewheres, then stick around for the show. :thumbsup:

My second-favorite all-time nighttime show!

darthmacho
08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
This may be the first trip that we catch it more than once. We're setting aside two days for World Showcase, and the first of these days we're definitely staying for Illuminations and hoping to catch them during our La Hacienda dinner ADRs.

Our second WS day might not be as long, and I'm thinking I might do some nighttime exploring of Future World that day. :mickey:

DisneyDINK
08-09-2012, 01:38 PM
For viewing Illuminations,once is fine for me, especially since my trips are getting shorter, but more frequent.

Wishes on the other hand, I like to see two or three times. With Illuminations, you pretty much have to be in in Epcot's World Showcase to really enjoy it. With Wishes, you can be anywhere in MK, and you can also see it from many MK area resorts and restaurants too. I guess I prefer the traditional fireworks in the sky as opposed to rotating TVs and big fireballs.

Maleficent_vf
08-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I love Illuminations! It has become a tradition that we see it once early in our trip and then again on our last night. It is a wonderful way to end a visit (not that I ever want them to end!).

joonyer
08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Illuminations at least once every visit, sometimes, if we are at Epcot again for a dinner.

But I prefer Wishes fireworks at MK, and we always see that show at least 3-4 times during every weeklong stay. Nothing beats those magical fireworks over the castle at MK. The essence of Disney Magic.

kakn7294
08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Of course it depends on the length of the trip but I'd watch this every night if I could! 2-3 times per trip seems to be our average.

Melanie
08-09-2012, 04:39 PM

If I happen to be in Epcot, I'll stop and watch. But I never go out of my way to catch the show. Been there, done that, time for something new.

DizneyFreak2002
08-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Still the best nighttime show on property... Maybe I'll see it twice or three times depending how long of a trip I am taking and it is the only show I will go out of my way for... I'll watch it the day I pick to visit Epcot and again the day I pick to visit DAK...

Dopey's Girl
08-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I never really go out of my way to see it. If I happen to be there when it's goin on, I will stop to watch a bit, but I haven't seen the whole show start to finish in years.

Now Wishes, that I have to see at least a few times per trip.

big blue and hairy
08-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Well....I voted for once, but there is a clarification. DW and I are Passholders and we go at least 4 times per year for short trips, so for me once each trip is seeing it a lot! It is by far my favorite night time show. :thumbsup:

:sulley:

AgentC
08-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I guess I have to go with 0.

I never go out of my way to watch it unless you count watching the fireworks part from the bridge between the Beach Club and Boardwalk.

If I'm there and it happens to start I will watch, but on most days we are trying to get as far away from the lake as we can before it starts. My children really don't enjoy it. They find it too loud. I don't think I've seen it more than once in our last 4 visits.

Kairi_7378
08-09-2012, 06:49 PM
We haven't gone out of our way to watch it. It seems harder to find a decent place to view this show, and I am not one to stake out a place for an hour to watch a parade or fireworks.

faline
08-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Years ago, I made sure I'd see this show every visit at least once. More recently, we'll watch if convenient but don't usually go out of our way to see it. It's still a pleasant show - I'm just not interested in planting myself in a spot and waiting for a signficant length of time. On a recent trip, we ended up with patio seating at Rose n Crown so certainly did stay to watch from that vantage point. On our last trip, we watched part of it on our fist night there as there happened to be some space along the fence as it started though the view was obscured. We even had a dinner reservation at La Hacienda one evening and left quite some time before the show started.

Crow
08-09-2012, 09:38 PM
usually twice..longest trips are usually a wk. first night show is Illuminations and at least one other time. i dont see Fantasmic every trip although i like it..its hard to exit after
Wishes i like but i dont spend as much time at MK and if u try to leave w everyone else after..

DisneyDawgette
08-09-2012, 11:19 PM
The last two times I went were very short trips, and trips with lots of kids, so unfortunately, EPCOT has been omitted. It's a travesty for me because it's my favorite park, and I absolutely ADORE Illuminations. My musically inclined DBF even enjoys listening to the score with me on occasion when I'm feeling particularly Disney!
So I went with two! It's great to open your trip up- until recently, EPCOT is always the first park we hit. And we normally grab it one more night on the trip! Wishes is our trip ender, and I spend the majority of the show bawling my eyes out! But that show is the epitome of Disney magic! :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
08-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Over the years we've seen it a lot, to the point that we no longer watch it unless we happen to be there.

iluvdumbo
08-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Every time we go, we always go to Epcot once (since we only go for a five day, 3 park day visit each time because of being able to get off of work / school), since that is the only amount of time we can go into the park during our stay. But we never miss it when we are in the park!

Katzateer
08-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Usually just once since it is hard to find a good view without spending a longtime waiting. I am more willing to wait at MK for parade and fireworks.

But half the fun of waiting is people watching and talking to people waiting with you!:mickey:Meet really nice fellow Disney fans from around the world.

KH
08-10-2012, 09:00 AM
IllumiNations is by far my family's favorite nighttime show. We always see it multiple times on every trip.

When we first started to go to WDW my daughter, now 16, was very young and she LOVED IllumiNations. We made a point of getting to EPCOT for the show on most nights. Now on the last night of every trip we still watch the show, cry, and hold hands while we walk as slowly as we can to the exit. This has turned into a family tradition that I hope will last a long time.

Gator
08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Before kids, we used to get the park hoppers. Then we'd rush out of whatever park we were in after their respective fireworks show to get to Epcot in time to enjoy Illuminations. I can never get enough of this fantastic show!

Now that we have kids and don't park hop, I enjoy it the two times we visit Epcot on each trip.

ImagiAsh
08-10-2012, 03:45 PM
I selected "once is enough," though that does not exactly correspond with how I feel. I love Illuminations and could watch it every night of the trip, but there are so many nighttime shows and events at Disney that I usually only get the opportunity to view it once (maybe twice).

Cinderelley
08-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Personally, I would be fine with once per trip. The people I go with tend to love and want to see it again, so I plan for it twice each trip.

TheVBs
08-11-2012, 04:24 PM
At least once is a must, usually twice since we typically visit each park at least twice on a trip. We couldn't walk away if there were a chance to see it.

DNS
08-11-2012, 06:11 PM
We are not fans of this show. We like Wishes and try to catch it at least twice, same with Fantasmic, but have never cared for this show. We loved the old one before the change in 2000though. That one we tried to see a couple of times each trip.

darthmacho
08-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Usually just once since it is hard to find a good view without spending a longtime waiting. I am more willing to wait at MK for parade and fireworks.

In four trips I have yet to have a good view of Illuminations, and a few times I've waited a long time only to find out that I chose poorly. Hoping to get a decent view from La Hacienda this year.

On the other hand, I have the perfect spot from which to watch the MSEP. :secret:

Cinderelley
08-11-2012, 09:46 PM
In four trips I have yet to have a good view of Illuminations, and a few times I've waited a long time only to find out that I chose poorly. Hoping to get a decent view from La Hacienda this year.

On the other hand, I have the perfect spot from which to watch the MSEP. :secret:

If you do not enjoy your view from La Hacienda, I love being near Canada for it. There's a bench beside a "rock" outside of Canada near the water. We usually grab our dinner or School Bread and eat there while waiting for Illuminations. The "rock" is actually a speaker for the show.

RAIDER
08-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Sadly only once when we visit as were always trying to see other attactions ,but very good question as i should go and see it more :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
08-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Suggestion on good viewing location?

Between Norway and Mexico. Unobstructed view, no islands or trees in the way, right up along the railing. The wind *usually* blows from east to west (toward the UK/Canada side).

2Epcot
08-13-2012, 03:22 PM
I said once, but that is one time we will make plans to see it. We always spend at least 2 days at Epcot, so if it works out to see it a second time we will, but only go out of our way to see it once.

BigRedDad
08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
I love Illuminations. I think I loved it more when they had the Tapestry of Nations. In general, fireworks are a 1-time thing for us. The reason is we are morning people. We get to the parks at opening because we can do so much more early. Then, we can relax at the resort, DD can play the games at the pool, and we head back late afternoon.

biodtl
08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Once - but honestly, we don't go out of our way. don't get me wrong - it's great and we enjoy it, but I come from a city that knows how to do fireworks & does them often (I know - Illuminations is more than a fireworks show, but still), so we generally would rather spend our time with other attractions or meals.

Mousemates
08-14-2012, 01:39 PM
We enjoy it...but once is enough. for whatever reason the crowds that wait for illuminations (stretching out on benches to "hold their place", barricading fence lines with strollers, give you the evil eye when you walk up and stand beside them because the spot you are in where they wanted the other 13 people in their party to be, etc) tend to get on my nerves more than they do at Wishes.

LebelJD
08-19-2012, 08:04 PM
We end up watching several times each trip. DW loves fireworks and this is our favorie show. It is very convenient since we are DVC members at BWV and can walk home after. We are also at the age where our trips are mostly without children so we don't visit MK more than once per trip, and we find the crowds for Wishes tougher to deal with than Illuminations.

AllDisney
08-19-2012, 09:26 PM
We see this once during our vacations. On the other visit to EPCOT we usually leave earlier and head back to the resort for some pool time or head down to DTD for some shopping:mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
I have been watching Illuminations for at least 20 yrs. It seems that on every return visit, the show gets shorter, so once is more than enough.