PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever done the Spirit of Aloha?

DisneyDINK
08-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Maybe some day I would like to say I would like to do everything at Disney World, rides, shows, restaurants, etc.

Still, there are a few things at WDW that don't appeal to me. One is the Spirit of Aloha dinner show at the Poly. The reviews of the show and the food lead me to believe there are better places to spend my time and money.

I'm curious, have you ever done it? Have you gone back? Anyone want to talk it up?

buzznwoodysmom
08-08-2012, 12:44 PM
I voted for "yes I've done it, but once was enough". It's not that we didn't like it, it was a very enjoyable dinner show, but not worth a repeat for my family. I'm glad we did it once to try it, but I doubt we'll ever do it again. Just too many other things we still haven't done!

faline
08-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Used to love the old luau show - now such a big fan of the reworked show. We went once. The dancing was great - didn't really like the reworked story line.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
08-08-2012, 01:25 PM
I really enjoyed it. I thought the pre meal salad was good as well as the entree's provided. I remember I had a few beers which were complimentary with the meals and the dessert was fantastic (can't remember what its called but I know that it was shaped like a volcano and had smoke coming out of it). I thought the show was corny but good. Not in any way comparable to HDDMR as I think the Hoop Dee Doo is very entertaining but I think the SOA show was pretty good. I have been to Hawaii and really enjoy the culture and music of the islands. For those who have not been, I can see how it would not be all that great, i guess.

Crow
08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
went a while ago, and doubt that i will again. it was ok but not worth repeats probably

Itchy
08-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Well, for me it was a one time thing with the family. My daughters were about 5 and 8 at the time and enjoyed getting to dance up front.

Well as for the food I was not impressed and we were a long way from the show. It was good as I lived in Hawaii for 3 yrs.

We paid out of pocket back then as no dining plan and it was over $100 for the 4 of us.

Would I recommend it to you, tough call. If its something that interests you I would go for it.

I think that the Hoop De Do Review is a lot better.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

biodtl
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I have been there several times. more than once to the "old" show, which was worth seeing again, and once to the "new" show, which wasn't. Don't get me wrong - it's fun and entertaining, but not enough that I want to spend the money to go back again.

MaterializedHaunt
08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
I have a been a few times in the past and I am going again on September 21st again. I think it is pretty fun,

It is around $59-68 depending on your seating. I think its is good dinner price if you think about it. You get a Disney TS Dinner for about $30-40 usually and this is with a show and that would be about $30-40 more. And it lasts a descent amount of time. I dont mind paying for good memories. Especially when it's in the Poly:party2:

AllDisney
08-08-2012, 03:38 PM
We went once. It was enough:secret:

Gator
08-08-2012, 05:51 PM
It was a good experience, but not worth doing again. The food was only Disney quality - there was no kulua pork that I'd could tell. The entertainment was a lot of fun, though.

IamBelle
08-10-2012, 12:36 PM
I went there once awhile ago and really enjoyed both the food and the entertainment. I love the salad and the bread they serve before the meal. The main course was also great, but my favorite was the dessert (I'm a sucker for chocolate lava cake!) The show was great, my mom was selected to come up and receive a flower from one of the performers (she actually didn't know he was pointing at her and he actually went out of character and said "Come on, you're holding up the show!"...it was the funniest thing!) I definitely want to go again to the luau, the food was amazing.

Jodi
08-10-2012, 06:42 PM
We have a ressie for our upcoming trip in 2 weeks. DD's are 20 and 17, I hope they enjoy it. I know I will because it is something different, DH, we'll see what he thinks.

TheVBs
08-11-2012, 07:00 PM
We went once and enjoyed it. The food was good, the entertainment was fun. Don't feel the need to do it again though. Too many other things we want to try. :mickey:

DisneyDINK
08-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Wow! Perfect bell-curve!

PlutoPlanet
08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
We've done 2 luaus elsewhere, one was at SeaWorld. I'll pass on Spirit of Aloha.

#1donaldfan
08-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Done it, never again !! .... and never is a long, long time !!! It was terrible !! The show was incredibly cheezy, the food was blech, and to sit outside in the heat of summer is just crazy !!! anyway, not worth it at all, except we have a nice picture taken before the dinner.....good thing it was before !! hahaah!!!!:thedolls:

brivers222
08-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I went back in 2004 and loved the show... so much my DW and I went back in 2010 to see it.... new show layout and it was terrible. The little sappy sub plot they infused is well... terrible lol

We have since diverted our money over to the HDDMR!

disneymom2000
08-20-2012, 04:18 PM
I have done an actual luau dinner in Hawaii and would like to do Spirit just to see how it matches up.

jnfr2424
08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
We actually went last Thanksgiving (we try for untraditional dinners every year) It was ok not good/ not bad just average. Best part for me was the buying the souvenir glass in fact I am using it right now!:thumbsup:

dreadpirateemily
08-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Actually this is one of the only experiences I've had at Disney that I would steer someone away from. It was hot, crowded, chaotic and we couldn't hear.

That said, the Hoop-Dee-Do Revue was AMAZING. So so fun, really good food, great performers.