PDA

View Full Version : Redwoods here we come!

Jeri Lynn
08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
My daughter has been interning at the Redwood National Park all summer for college.

My sister and I decided to fly out and visit her.
We are leaving next Thursday the 16th and will return back to MA on the 21st.

Amanda (my daughter) will be leaving on the 25the to drive back home.

For any of you who have traveled this area are there any "do not miss" things to do?

Also, we are flying United out of Boston to San Francisco and then to Cresent City and then flying Arcata back to San Francisco then to Boston.

We've never flown United before.

Very excited to see my daughter, have not seen her since the last week of May!

faline
08-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Enjoy!

Jeri Lynn
08-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks Linda, I'm so excited.

Then we will get home and resume our Disney countdown!!

Fangorn
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Very familiar with the area. My wife's parents lived in Crescent City for 40 years until they moved in with us last year. It's very nice in the summer.

Just a note: Crescent City, while it is the county seat for Del Norte County, is nowhere close to being a "City". The airport is more along the lines of an airstrip and principly used by the Coast Guard. Commercial air traffic is something new only within the past 2-3 years.

The Park is mostly just a very long, skinny area of lands (not alway contiguous) that have been set aside. There is very little in the way of a defined 'park' - some signage, campgrounds and the occasional informational turnout, but that's about it.

There is a lot of beautiful scenery and a stretch of redwoods just north of CC on US 199.

Most of the "Redwood Highway" is along US 101 south, between CC and Eureka. There is an area called "Avenue of the Giants" that is a must see. It is south of Eureka, as US101 starts to head inland. From CC, take 101 South. There will be an exit just South of Scotia for the Avenue of the Giants. You'll reconnect to US 101 just north of Garberville. A great place to eat is the Benbow Inn (I haven't been there in a very long time, so I'm assuming it's still there), which is south of Garberville.

There is one tourist trap here. "Trees of Mystery". This is something best avoided at all costs.

FYI, as you go inland, it will get much warmer. You can start with 60 degrees on the coast and then travel 30 minutes inland and the temps can easily be 90-100.

Trivia: The Endor scenes for Return of the Jedi were filmed in the redwood groves around Crescent City and in the Prairie Creek area.

Enjoy!
Steve