PDA

View Full Version : First Timer - wondering if I should try to extend my trip

JanJanM
08-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Hello everyone, happy to have found this site. I am about to book my flights for our first family trip (me, husband, 3 y/o DD and 5 y/o DD) in October. Flights are very expensive. I figured out if we left one day earlier, we would save $500. We are booked in at the Bay Lake Towers for five nights. And I rented points from a family friend who is a DVC member. I doubt we would be able to get the additional night in the Bay Lake Tower, but looking for any suggestions..... Has anyone tacked one additional day on to their trip and found a cheap close by or on-resort hotel to stay in????

DisneyDINK
08-06-2012, 10:31 AM
First of all...

:welcome:

To answer your question, a lot of posters like to book a value (i.e. Pop Century, Art of Animation, or one of the All-Stars) for one night at the beginning (or end) to extend their trip; that is usually pretty economical. Then you are still on property and can use Disney's Magical Express, but if you'll have a rental car then it is not an issue. Also, your baggage can be transfered from resort to resort, inquire at bell services.

You might check out some of the hotels in the Downtown Disney are too (Grosvenor Resort, Best Western Lake Buena Vista, etc.).

Also, you might be able to book a one night room only reservation at BLT. It doesn't hurt to check, but, as you alluded to, it will be fairly expensive.

You should probably spend some time reading about renting points. I'll bet you've done your homework, but there are some special rules you'll have to deal with when staying at DVD when you're not the member.

faline
08-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

Yes, we've occasionally tacked on an extra night or two at the beginning of our trip. You might check out the value or moderate resorts. Keep in mind that your checkout time will be 11 a.m. and the check-in time for Bay Lake Tower is not until 4. You can check in early but there's no guarantee that you will be able to get into your room early.

If you're moving from one Disney resort to another, Disney will move your bags for you.

JanJanM
08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Thank you both! Helps to know that other people do this.... Looks like the disney value resorts would be about $150, and then we'd have to pay for whatever we did that day, but still might end up saving money...

Dopey's Girl
08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I would fly in early and plan a day just to relax at the pool, or enjoy the resort! $500 is a lot!

mgmnut
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
then we'd have to pay for whatever we did that day, but still might end up saving money...

If you already have multi day tickets for the parks it is pretty cheap to add additional days. For example to go from a 5 to 6 day ticket is only $40.00 and that covers all 4 of you.