PDA

View Full Version : Do you request a particular room or section of a resort?

Kairi_7378
08-05-2012, 09:19 AM
When you make a resort reservation, do you request a particular section/ building on your reservation (other than the preferred room location)? On previous trips, we have taken whatever was assigned to us, and for two of the three trips, the room was ready at our early morning arrival time, and I was happy with our location. For this trip, DH has asked me to look into making a room/ location request.

LVT
08-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I have found locations I like this way. Also, I once paid for preferred and was farther away than usual, so I gave that up.:confused:

Madame Leona
08-05-2012, 09:49 AM
There are so many factors that go into my resort planning. Most of the time, I've just gone where I was told to go. However, my kids like me to go get them breakfast and they eat it in the room. If I let them veg out in the morning, the day is much more pleasant. So my last trip and my upcoming trip, I have requested to be close to the food court area. That way I don't have too far to deliver breakfast to my kids and coffee to my mom. I think they just take me on vacation to be their pack mule and room service provider. Maybe this trip I should ask for tips :mickey:

E-OR
08-05-2012, 11:03 AM
We always pay for preferred, pool view, or river view and then I request a certain location. We have not always gotten our request but have only been unhappy one time. That was at AKL when we payed for a pool view and we had a room that if you bent over the balcony really far and cranked your head to the right you could see a corner of the pool. We were too tired from traveling all day to request somthing different so made the best of it. We still had a great vacation and enjoyed our stay there. We'll be back again in 4 weeks and have booked a pool veiw again.

MaterializedHaunt
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I Always request my rooms. I typically stay in the same places (OKW and Poly) so I know which rooms/building I like and have good reason to request. If I was to stay in a different resort, I always do my homework and research which rooms I will be requesting once I am there.

darthmacho
08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't request specific rooms or buildings, though in the past I've made these general requests to good effect, though I'm not sure how things will work out this summer. I guess in two weeks, we'll find out! :mickey:

Wilderness Lodge, 1998: Paid for a Woods View
Coronado Springs, 1999: Paid for a Water View
All Star Music, 2003: Paid for a Calypso Room
Port Orleans Riverside, 2010: Requested proximity to Main Building
Pop Century, 2012: Will request proximity to main Bus Stop, but otherwise we got a standard room

JerseyDad
08-05-2012, 12:02 PM
....I too am one that always requests a specific section / room location. As a staunch devotee` of POP....we always book a preferred room location...and ask for the 60's buildings...ground floor...poolside. We've been accommodated 99% of the time....

...and since we drive to WDW...and usually arrive at about 11am....if the room location isn't immediately available....we just leave the bags in the car...and head to a park 'till a room (where we requested it) is available.

RedSoxFan
08-05-2012, 12:23 PM
We always pay for preferred, pool view, or river view and then I request a certain location. We have not always gotten our request but have only been unhappy one time. That was at AKL when we payed for a pool view and we had a room that if you bent over the balcony really far and cranked your head to the right you could see a corner of the pool. We were too tired from traveling all day to request somthing different so made the best of it. We still had a great vacation and enjoyed our stay there. We'll be back again in 4 weeks and have booked a pool veiw again.

Sounds like the same view we had. It was awful to pay extra for a pool view and not really get it. We have a pool view this November and requested to not have a solid balcony and a better view. So we shall see. Our first AKL visit we had awesome pool view rooms.

AllDisney
08-05-2012, 12:42 PM
The only request I make are top floor and AWAY from the pool.

kakn7294
08-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I have made specific requests but ususally I do not. Once I did make a request at Coronado Springs and did not end up with that request. I was really unhappy with the location we did end up with but there was a convention in and they were unable to move us to the section I had wanted.

SandmanGStefani24
08-05-2012, 04:15 PM
felt like answering with two choices.

I let them place me wherever, as preferred rooms aren't worth it to me. however the only thing I ask for is a top floor as these are a little quieter and i prefer being up top anyway.

SBETigg
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
The more specific a request, the less likely a resort can deliver it. We always want a higher floor with balcony room (we stay deluxe) so, that is what we ask for. If we specified a building or location, the upper floor balcony request might not work out. So, we usually just make a request with what we really want and let the resort decide where they can best make that happen.

Keneva
08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
The two times we asked for an exact room number, we got it.:thumbsup:

Dopey's Girl
08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I only request something specific when my dad is in my travel party. He has some pretty serious back problems, so we ask to be close to transportation. Other than that, I don't really care!

Pop Centurion
08-05-2012, 05:33 PM
I've always requested the 50's section at Pop but never get it. So this year I'm not going to bother.

Mousemates
08-05-2012, 09:54 PM
our requests have generally been granted, but our requests are fairly general....say upper floor facing a particular view. the only time we requested a specifc room (WL) we got it.

Tigerinvestigator
08-06-2012, 11:26 AM
We have started requesting specific room numbers and it has been accomodated or pretty close anyway. For me the most important part of our trip is our resort choice and our room view. For others it is more about the parks etc., but I am there for the relaxation as well. Nothing beats the views we had last week with a balcony in the tower at the CR overlooking Bay Lake and the pools and then a balcony at the Dolphin overlooking DHS with a great view of fantasmic's fireworks. If the view is important you better make a specific request or risk being disappointed on your vacation.:thumbsup:

barnaby
08-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I've always requested the 50's section at Pop but never get it. So this year I'm not going to bother.

I requested the 50's section for my upcoming trip. I paid for standard pool view. We'll see if I get it.

mom2morgan
08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
I ALWAYS request, and NEVER get it. First time at POR I wanted Alligator Bayou...got the mansions. Second time there I wanted the Mansions...got Alligator Bayou. Requested a renovated room at a resort in the midst of renovations, and didn't get it. Etc. I'm at AKL for part of our trip in Spetmber and asked for a pool view...I'll probably get the room mentioned by two respondants above, LOL. The rest of the time we're at CBR and I'm paying for a preferred, so at least I know I'll get that! I want to stay in Martinique, so I should probably request the other building....

kakn7294
08-06-2012, 10:40 PM
This thread made me think about this more. With modern technology what it is, why couldn't we book specific locations or at least specific buildings when we do book our vacations? They block out the rooms as they are booked within certain categories now anyway so this would just carry that one step further. It's done on cruise ships and airplanes all the time.

Gator
08-07-2012, 12:12 AM
I always request a room section. However, I've found that when the just assign me something, I'm really happy about my location. The one time I got my choice the first time I came to a resort, I ended up in the Alligator Bayou at POR. We didn't like it at all. All we could think of was how nice the mansions were and we were stuck in the woods.

Tink#64
08-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I usually request a particular room number, not so much caring if I get THAT room, but I always get a room in that building, on that floor & in the general vacinity of an area we know we like! Pop Century is so very accomodating! Kudo's to the CM's there! :clappy:

VWL Mom
08-07-2012, 07:28 AM
The only request I normally make is for a lower floor. I'm not a fan of elevators or heights so put me somewhere near stairs and I'm a happy camper.

This thread made me think about this more. With modern technology what it is, why couldn't we book specific locations or at least specific buildings when we do book our vacations? They block out the rooms as they are booked within certain categories now anyway so this would just carry that one step further. It's done on cruise ships and airplanes all the time.

Great idea but I think it would be tough to do. For cruising and flying everyone is set for one day or time period. For hotels, people are randomly coming and going, changing, and canceling.

CzepielCrew
08-07-2012, 08:38 AM
There are so many factors that go into my resort planning. Most of the time, I've just gone where I was told to go. However, my kids like me to go get them breakfast and they eat it in the room. If I let them veg out in the morning, the day is much more pleasant. So my last trip and my upcoming trip, I have requested to be close to the food court area. That way I don't have too far to deliver breakfast to my kids and coffee to my mom. I think they just take me on vacation to be their pack mule and room service provider. Maybe this trip I should ask for tips :mickey:

That is funny!
Pack Mule, I will have to use that one. The closer the better

Figment104
08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Like another poster one of the most important parts of our trip is the room and view since I spend a lot of time just hanging out and relaxing on the balcony. We always book a courtyard view room at the WL and that used to guarantee that we'd be on the inner U overlooking the pool and such. I guess a few years ago, they made it so the other side was also considered courtyard since it looked onto the pool and other "courtyard". Since I heard that I've always requested the inner courtyard and floors 4-6 since we don't like the closed in balconies at the top, and I like to be up a little bit so I can see what's going on. In the past they've been really great about accomidating this, and the one time I didn't like our room at all (there was a giant tree blocking the whole view) they were able to move us to a perfect location. I just wish they hadn't changed the definition of "courtyard" since that would make is so much simpler. Can't wait to see that view again!

kakn7294
08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Great idea but I think it would be tough to do. For cruising and flying everyone is set for one day or time period. For hotels, people are randomly coming and going, changing, and canceling.

I really don't think it would be that hard. The computer would block out rooms as they are booked. To me, it seems that it would be easier in the end - the computer has already done all of the work all along.

Crow
08-08-2012, 01:34 PM
when i stay at Pop i usually ask for the 50s, good location away from the main pool, close to main building.
depends otherwise, not usually

BriarRose0708
08-08-2012, 01:37 PM
I actually have only made requests at check-in time if needed. Depending on when I am arriving, if it's early in the morning and the room isn't likely ready yet I will make a request because odds are better that the request will be filled. Usually I am an "I get what I get" person.

But, this next trip I do have a desire to stay in a specific section and am arriving around 8:30 p.m. to my resort, and I am going to do online check in and put a request in then. If I wait until checking in it's not as likely that I'll get the section I want. Hopefully it will work out!

Mcbkaitlyn
08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I voted depends, normally I don't but my sister & I are surprising my daughter in sept with a stay at the Contemorary so we requested a theme park view:cloud9: Mary

PopPhan
08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Typically, we only request a top floor room. Other than that, we are pretty happy no matter where (building/view/etc) we are assigned a room.

waymickey
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
we only ask for a particular side of the hotel. WL facing the villas and since most people don't like that side we usually get it. butthe next trip I might just ask for a room on the other side. I heard there is some kind of pond or something with beavers?? I have looked for pictures but nothing comes up.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I always request a couple of preferred building choices and specific floor. Let me say I have NEVER been given ANY one of the buildings I have requested but have been accomodated with the floor I requested. No clue why it happens . . . . and yes, I still try to request certain buildings. I guess I'm an eternal optimist that one day I'll get one of them. :D

TheVBs
08-11-2012, 06:46 PM
We always pay for preferred because that puts us close to the food court, pool and buses.

buzznwoodysmom
08-11-2012, 07:40 PM
For the most part we pay for any view/preferred location we want. If I do make a request I make sure that request is within the room type I paid for.

At CBR I booked preferred, then I requested ground floor in building 25 or 26, which are both preferred buidings.

At WL we booked a standard room and then requested the location we wanted, but still in the area where standard rooms are locacted.

And then there are times I don't make any requests. At YC this month I didn't request anything because I've never stayed there and didn't really know where I wanted to be. In that case I was happy with whatever location I was given!

Cinderelley
08-13-2012, 03:16 AM
If we're at Pop, I request the 50s section.

POR is the Magnolia Terrace building.

When we stayed at CBR, I requested an area due to my friend's preference.

RAIDER
08-13-2012, 10:26 AM
If i am staying at the BLT i always request a lake view and high floor any other resort i am not worried with :thumbsup: