PDA

View Full Version : Tigerinvestigator's July 2012 Family Trip Day 9

Tigerinvestigator
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Day 9

Ok this is the day we all dread at WDW. The final full day of vacation. As much joy as I get from that first day, this one can be really hard. So while sitting on the balcony last night I made a Head of the Household decision. My DW and DD15 had reservations at the Madara Spa courtesy of Uncle Eric. While they were there I managed to secure another night in our room at the same $107 rate. I kept my secret for now waiting for the right time to spring it on the rest of the group. DW and DD15 loved this spa. They actually liked it more than the one at the GF. They really enjoyed the ladies and my DW said she laughed the entire time. DW and DD15 were late getting back to the room and we only had twenty minutes to get to Coral Reef for our ADR. So a quick call got us a later reservation with no problem. We finished getting ready and walked to Epcot again. We arrived at the Coral Reef and found it almost empty. In fact the entire park was almost empty today. We had a great meal at Coral Reef. We love the appetizer for two, especially the crab cakes and lobster Bisque soup. The girls devoured the shrimp. DD15 and I got the Orange glazed Salmon which was very good, and DW got the chicken. DD11 got Mahi Mahi and I tasted it as well. I think DD8 got a cheesburger.
Knowing this was our last visit to Epcot for this trip we rode Nemo, and my favorite Living with the Land, We walked through Illuminations and found NO WAIT for the Disney Visa photo op. Minnie and Mickey were all alone and we had a good five minute photo shoot and visit with the royal family of WDW. DW was kidding Minnie about her height and I swear Minnie was doing some serious flirting with me! Probably cause she was mad at DW. They have a history which goes back to our honeymoon. While honeymooning in 1995 we were eating at the Garden Grill back when Minnie was there and they gave you those free straw hats. Mickey gave DW a kiss on the cheek and Minnie saw it and took some paper towels and scrubbed DW's face. They haven't been friends since......sad really.
We took our free coupon and got a great 5x7 photo of the entire family with Mr and Mrs Mouse. (of course I was standing by Minnie and DW was beside Mickey).
We took one last ride on Spaceship earth before catching a bus to Animal Kingdom so DD15 can ride Everest. While in route I asked DW what she would do with one more day at Disney.....she said relax. I said “granted”. We then told the kids this was not our last day at Disney that we would not be leaving until Tuesday now. They were pretty excited as was I. It really helped take the edge off of leaving. Besides we still had some water park and more options to spend!
Once at Animal Kingdom there was no one going into the park. We were only about 2.5 hours from closing and the park was really empty. We got some ice cream across from Tusker house and then walked on Kilamanjaro Safaris. Driver was great but didn't see a lot of animals in the heat of the day. We walked on Expedition everest with no wait at all and ITTBAB with no wait. We took our time leaving the park and looked at some of the animals. Bought a coke on the way out of the gate and strolled to our bus stop. We were trying to decide where we wanted to go on our last night. MK was open until 2am again. We got to the bus stop and found an Art of Animation bus sitting empty. We decided to go check it out and did. WOW that is one impressive resort for families. Very state of the art and practically empty. I wish we could have stayed for a couple of nights. We explored the resort for about an hour and then caught an empty bus to the MK for Extra magic hours. We picked up some more Sorcerer cards and they assigned us to Fantasyland but when we got there the fireworks had the area closed. So a castmember told us to go to Liberty Square but it was closed because of the parade. So we decided to eat at Pinocchio's. I had the meatball sub and DD15 had a great BBQ chicken flatbread. Met up with Uncle Eric and Katie. We rode Splash Mtn and for the first time ever I didn't get wet. Still had a lot of fun and Uncle Eric bought the photo. We then rode BTMRR which had about a five minute wait. We watched Wishes from the queue of BTMRR. We watched the MSEP and then went to Fantasyland to finally play the Sorcerer game. It took us a few minutes to find the right kiosk but when we did it was really fun. I really like how you can use a different spell everytime. My favorite was the Headless Horseman Pumpkin spell. DD8 loves the Headless Horseman, it is her favorite character (told you she was weird). After defeating Malificent and saving the MK we did what anyone would do to celebrate their victory.....We shopped at the Emporium. Bought DW chrome Mickey Ears for the back of her new vehicle. We took our time on Mainstreet USA saying goodbye to our favorite place on earth. It was beautiful as always and we felt a little sad about leaving but pretty good that we had another night at WDW.....see I told you that would work. One thing I have learned about leaving the MK is that we ALWAYS come back. Caught an empty bus to the WDW Dolphin and everyone was so tired it was pretty uneventful. Spent a few minutes on the balcony and got really thirsty so I walked down to Picabu as my family slept and got a Stewart's Orange drink and on an impulse a PB &J sandwhich. Could you end a day better?:confused:

faline
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Getting an extra day is such a great treat!

What a wonderful day you had!!

Dopey's Girl
08-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Bonus vacation days are the best! Great plan.

DisneyorBust
08-03-2012, 03:55 PM
The only "bonus" vacation days we have had were purely unintentional. I much rather like your kind, need to keep this in mind for a future trip!

ftwildernesskid
08-04-2012, 09:36 PM
What a great surprise for your family! What I want to know is how you got that price for the Dolphin??? I've never looked into staying there, but if I could get that price, I'd certainly consider it!

January-2007
08-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks so much for reporting.

DizNee143
08-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Yay an extra day!!! Your an awesome hubby/dad!!!
Sounds like it was another good day..especially with the surprise if getting to stay another night! :mickey:

SBETigg
08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Wow, fantastic! The best thing about your last day would be hearing that it's not the last day. Very cool. Though, I love some spa time, too.