PDA

View Full Version : 9 nights with 19-month old

jenperich
08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Here's a question for you more experienced parents out there. We're hoping to be taking our then 19-month old to WDW next October. If all goes well, we'll be staying in a theme-park view studio. Is that too long with a 19-month old? We're thinking it would give us more time to actually be able to take our time. Thanks in advance!

DizneyRox
08-02-2012, 10:51 AM
It might be... We've gone to more, shorter vacations, and are building back up. I like doing longer trips and taking time, but the routine breakup sems to be taking it's toll. You are a better gauge of how that disruption will go.

mydisneygirls
08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Visting WDW with a child (children) is completely different, especially when so young. That being said, I don't think 9 nights is too long because as you said you will be able to take your time and move at a slower pace and relax (as much as you can with a 19-month old). Keep in mind, that you will not be able to go on the big rides unless you go one at a time. Hey, any day at WDW is a great day!

MizMissy
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
You know your child best. Personally, for me and my children, 9 days would be too long. My kids liked being home and really liked their routine. Even going at a slower pace, WDW can still be an exhausting trip (on the kids and the parents!).

VWL Mom
08-02-2012, 11:40 AM
IMO 9 days in a studio with a 19mo might be a strain. Depending on the points, maybe a stay of 6 nights in a 1bdrm would be better. It would give you more space (don't forget a 19mo will be mobile), full kitchen and the washer and dryer.

BrerGnat
08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
You know your child best, but that would have been way too long for us when our boys were those ages. We did a 3 night trip when our youngest was around that age and it was about 2 days too long. ;)

Our biggest issue was (and still is) sleeping in hotels. Our boys had a very hard time with that when they were really little. They'd be up every couple hours, and then, we would be too. We were EXHAUSTED on those little short getaways. I would have had to be committed to a mental hospital if we tried to do a 9 night getaway. :crazy:

A big way to make this a LOT easier on everyone is to get a room where the kid can sleep separate from the parents. I'd get a 1 br villa over a studio, even if it means less days.

19 months is a tricky age in general (the terrible twos start around this time). Kids are mobile, but not too mobile. They get fussy in strollers and want to walk, but you can't always let them. They can talk a bit but not enough to really communicate effectively. Tantrums come about at the drop of a hat, usually due to communication breakdown, being overtired, hungry, etc. WDW is very stimulating, and while some kids love this, others get overstimulated and just break down a lot. You see it in the parks all the time. Parents that aren't sleeping well are cranky too...it's a vicious cycle.

I'd say 5-7 days at WDW with a 19 month old is good for a first trip. You can see how it goes, and if it is just super wonderful, you can do a longer trip next time. However, if things go south, you'll be happy it's a shorter trip.

AgentC
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
I totally get where you are coming from that 9 days would give you lots of relaxation time and make visiting the parks easier, but unless your 19 months is used to long trips, 9 days may be too much.

With both my children 4-5 days was best at that age. We did take it slow and we did sacrifice doing somethings.My daughter loves Disney but was ready to go home and be in her own room with her own things after 4 or 5 days.

If you can swing it, Lynn's suggestion on a 1 bedroom is excellent. Having the washing machine is a huge plus when travelling with little kids.

Georgesgirl1
08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I would look at a 1 bedroom too. Our boys can't fall asleep with us in the room which means in a studio we either have to go to bed when they do which makes us grumpy or they have to stay up until we go to bed which makes them grumpy. A 1 bedroom allows them to follow their own routine better and gives DH and I time alone after they go to bed.

Tri Minnie
08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
As other posters have mentioned, it depends a lot on your child. For our children (just turned 2 and 4 and almost 5 months) a longer, more relaxed trip works really well. They love spending all of that time as a family without the interruptions of laundry, errands, Daddy working, etc. (We were in a studio on our last trip and will do the same on our next visit.) I wouldn't hesitate to be gone for nine nights in terms of their happiness. However, it is a lot of work to get us ready for that length of trip :)

Mom on a Mission
08-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Yep, totally depends on your kid. We did our first visit (8 days/7 nights) when they were 18 mos and 3 1/2. It was a truly magical trip that I will NEVER forget. (although they don't really remember it ;-) The time was perfect for us because we did move slowly and only did a few things in the morning, then napped, then a few more at night. We also stayed in the Fort Wilderness cabins so we had a separate bedroom for the kids and a full kitchen. I STRONGLY suggest looking into this option. But you again, you know your kid. We also appreciated having grown up time after they went to bed. We could see wishes from our deck in FW. It was a ways away, but still magical! Whatever you decide to do, just don't try to do too much on any given day. Good Luck! (Oh, also the BLT 1 BRs have washer/dryers IN THE ROOM!!):thumbsup:

Travis1717
08-02-2012, 10:46 PM
We did 8 nights with a 17-month old in June, and it was probably a bit too long for us. We had a studio, and maybe a 1 bedroom would have helped, but I think he would have been tired regardless. We still had fun, though!

BrerGnat
08-03-2012, 09:06 AM
OP, I suggest waiting about a year, and then revisit this question. From the timing of your trip to be NEXT October (I thought you meant this October), your little one is still a baby! You have NO idea how your baby will be as a toddler. Perhaps if you want to start planning/budgeting, do so for a longer trip, and then readjust if necessary closer to the travel time.

My oldest son was a DREAM of a baby. When he was 6 months old or so, I would have planned a two week trip to WDW without hesitation. A LOT changed by the time he was 19 months old. A lot.

I would suggest planning a couple short overnights in hotels near your home to do some "local" tourist stuff, just to see how your child does away from home prior to doing a long WDW trip. It's a good way to gauge how you want to plan longer trips.