PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hidden Spots in the Parks

Kati
08-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Hello Intercot! :mickey:

I'm going back to WDW for my 10th time this September, and taking along the boyfriend for his 1st Disney trip.

I would love for this to be a new experience for the two of us together - and in the spirit of finding new things, what are your favorite hidden spots within WDW? I would love to hear everything, so please share away!

Thanks,
K.

Mari
08-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Snap! I'm hopefully visiting again next year with my boyfriend and it will also be his first time! I don't think I have any very secret/special places that I can think of that you probably don't know about already but I definitely think a visit to the Poly to watch Wishes together on the beach would be a lovely thing to do!
Also, be sure to remember to get him a 'first time' pin for him to wear throughout the trip!
I'm looking forward to reading the other posts and see what everyone else has to say!!

azcavalier
08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Well now, that's going to depend on what for! For example, secret spots for eating? Relaxing? Watching fireworks?? Shortcuts? Best bathrooms that no one uses?

The first thing that comes to mind is not a secret, many on here love it, yet it's almost always empty. The top floor of the Columbia Harbor House restaurant in the Magic Kingdom. The restaurant itself is a nice break from regular counter service, and the upstairs is cool, well themed, clean, and usually only around 10% full. Plus it has some great bathrooms there that nobody uses!

Kati
08-02-2012, 09:21 AM
@Mari - Welcome to Intercot!

@azcavalier - Looking for all new things, food, great spots to see the parade, hidden rooms/dining, etc. Any personal recommendations are more than welcome :thumbsup:

dizneydeb22
08-02-2012, 03:14 PM
My favorite thing to do is walk through the Animal Kingdom Lodge! The theming there is breath taking! The shop there also has interesting items in addition to the normal souvenier fare. Look out on the savannah and explore the grounds! I have never stayed there, but have visited and explored many times. My husband and I have also eaten at Jiko-the Cooking Place. It is the best meal we've had at WDW so far. From what I hear, BOMA is also very good. That is on our Restaurant bucket list for our next adult only trip! Enjoy your trip...I hope it is magical for you and your BF. Isn't exciting to know you're going with a newbie!!!

magicman
08-02-2012, 03:26 PM
My favorite thing to do is walk through the Animal Kingdom Lodge! The theming there is breath taking! The shop there also has interesting items in addition to the normal souvenier fare. Look out on the savannah and explore the grounds! I have never stayed there, but have visited and explored many times. My husband and I have also eaten at Jiko-the Cooking Place. It is the best meal we've had at WDW so far. From what I hear, BOMA is also very good. That is on our Restaurant bucket list for our next adult only trip! Enjoy your trip...I hope it is magical for you and your BF. Isn't exciting to know you're going with a newbie!!!

If you have dinner plans at the AKL, you might want to check to see if they are doing story-telling that night. We were fortunate enough to hear an African story sitting on the patio/balcony the night we ate at Boma. It was very unique.

dizneydeb22
08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
If you have dinner plans at the AKL, you might want to check to see if they are doing story-telling that night. We were fortunate enough to hear an African story sitting on the patio/balcony the night we ate at Boma. It was very unique.

Thanks for the tip! You know in all the times I've gone there, I've never caught it! I've added it to my Disney bucket list! :simba:

BIGDOG
08-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Here is one of my favorite spots and things to do. Arrive early for rope drop at the Magic Kingdom, early so that you are close to the front. Enjoy the show and when the rope drops hurry to the bakery on the right side on main street. Order one of the lunker Cinnamon rolls and a coffee and grab a seat by a window. Sit there wake up drinking the coffee and eating one of the best foods on Disney property and watch all the crowd roll by.

waymickey
08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
One of the best secret spot in disney to relax is the fireplace on the third floor in the WL. Quiet cool and the crackling of fire is just great. Also a nice spot to relax is out on TSI. go around to aunt polly's and sit in one of the rockers and drink a lemonade.

One of the best secret (not really) attractions is going over to the stables at fort wilderness and see the horses.

MaterializedHaunt
08-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Oh goodie! This is a nice topic. I am a very quiet guy and i LOVE my quiet nooks in different places around parks and resorts. I could make a fairly large list actually but I will give u just a couple.

Upstairs Harbour House is a great one whoever said that.

I like going to the little nook directly across from Sleepy Hollow snack stand in MK. Its very shady and cool in there and noone is ever in there (at least when I go).

Animal Kingdom is great for a nice quiet walk, you have to look for the little walking paths around the Tree of Life. Last time I went on them I walked and not one person was on it.

Epcot would be that little section up to the left of Captain EO where the water squirts out of there ground. Not much shade there but when ppl exit the EO show and after they disperse, its super nice and quiet.

MGM (or HS for u new people) would be probably the Counter Service place directly next to the Honey I Shrunk the kids playground area. (I go during offseason, so this CS is usually closed and it just nice shaded area semi-quiet.)

darthmacho
08-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Kati this is a great question that I always have a difficult time answering, and I believe it is because I'm almost always on the move in WDW and rarely stop and enjoy the hidden spots.

However, whenever I think about this, my mind always goes to the Canada Pavilion, where just beyond the gorgeous gardens is a rocky mountain pass, complete with waterfall, that provides a little shade and the sound of running water. Vary relaxing. :mickey:

DonaldDuckUSA
08-04-2012, 06:50 PM
IDK if this qualifies, but DBF and I like to get away from the hustle and bustle with snack time.

We have a few restaurant bars that we enjoy visiting. We'll order assorted appetizers to split, depending on our hunger level. We have a drink and sometimes we chat with the bartender. Sometimes we don't.

We're out of the air conditioning and eating yummy food without stuffing ourselves and we can move at a slower pace. It's very relaxing.

We find yourself in the Yak and Yeti a lot, but Prime Time is a good time if you're in the mood for colorful staff. The bartender isn't in character, but everyone else is!

Dopey's Girl
08-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I love the garden behind the tea shop in The UK in Epcot (just past our very own Column). It's so pretty, and unless the Beatles band is playing, it's always very peaceful.

Crow
08-04-2012, 11:16 PM
some good ones mentioned..
watching Illuminations from the balcony outside Tokyo Dining in Japan.
to the right of France theres some shrubs etc next to the shops. or the wine shop in France
down below the bridge between France and England theres an area by the lake.
garden in England where the band performs
as stated the waterfall in Canada
walking the path under the bridge outside International Gateway leaving Epcot towards BC
walking from Epcot to DHS by the water.
the exhibit area in China
the parade passing over the bridge in MK from the castle Towards Hall of Presidents..
having a Dole Whip by Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.
Tom Sawyer Island. actually found the paintbrush once to get a fastpass.
DHS-the backstreets, One Mans Dream. the key under the carpet at the entrance to Muppets.

Crow
08-04-2012, 11:18 PM
WL.. sitting on upper floors looking down
Boat to DD from PO, POFQ
walking over bridge from POP to AOA

wdwfansince75
08-05-2012, 08:17 AM
As a morning person, I usually look for a quiet place for my first cup of coffee in the morning...dock at CR and Poly, gazebo at SoG...

Hope the quiet (and hidden) walk between the Fantasyland train station (or whatever they call it) and Space Mountain is open again, with the Fantasyland expansion...

The smoking area in front of the Plaza is usually not very crowded, and since my long-haired room mate smokes, we often meet there, and enjoy our hot dogs (from Casey's), and a little quiet, even with the crowds within view

And almost any of the benches or tables overlooking the lake in DHS are available...quiet, although not private.

Kairi_7378
08-05-2012, 09:01 AM
I see that you're staying at one of the PO resorts. At either of them, you can take a boat to and from DTD. I suggest doing this at night. DTD looks amazing from the water, especially when it is lit up for the evening. I also recommend walking around your resort. There are a lot of beautiful, quiet paths to explore. We found the food court at POR to be particularly relaxing.

One of my favorite "hidden" spots at the Magic Kingdom is the Cinderella fountain. If you stand in the right angle, it looks like Cinderella has been "crowned" by the crown in the mural behind her.

Make sure to explore all of the countries in Epcot, too.

LVT
08-05-2012, 09:19 AM
I have to add the Tom Sawyer Island's floating bridge. It is a stark contrast to the park's that brings me a simple pleasure.

jwallace378
08-05-2012, 07:12 PM
On our honeymoon, my wife and I took a carriage ride through Ft. Wilderness. Nice and quiet and saw some interesting Florida wildlife.

Mom on a Mission
08-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Fort Wilderness! Plan dinner at the Hoop Dee Doo or Trail's End, take the boat from CR and get there early. Walk around the area, up to the Meadow's Trading Post, and then come back and sit in the rocking chairs on the porch waiting for dinner. They even have checker & chess sets you can play. And the boat ride back to CR after dark is gorgeous!

spinnerf
08-05-2012, 10:01 PM
The Carousel of Progress! LOL

I would agreewith the China theater entrance. A great place to cool off, people watch, and enjoy ancient Chinese art. I spent an hour in there recently giving one of the kids a nap.

linedropper
08-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I love the garden behind the tea shop in The UK in Epcot (just past our very own Column). It's so pretty, and unless the Beatles band is playing, it's always very peaceful.

I agree, we always grab some fish and chips then head back to the garden! Also great spot to get Pooh and Tigers autograph!:mickey:

brad817
08-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Push the Talking Trash Can at Magic Kingdom is great. My kids love him. We always have to stop and wait for Push.

epceddie
08-06-2012, 08:36 PM
My wife and I discovered the cabanas at the Contemporary on our last visit in February. There are two on the corners of the circular quiet pool that juts out into the water. Two others are closer to the main pool. You can book them for a morning, an afternoon, or the whole day.
We rented ours from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and it was one of the most relaxing, stress-free days we've ever spent at Disney.
We already have one reserved for our trip in December. We like to go midweek to take it easy and recharge our batteries.

Quadstriker
08-07-2012, 02:16 AM
What about the secret column outside of Rose & Crown?

Kati
08-07-2012, 09:09 AM
What about the secret column outside of Rose & Crown?

Oh I LOVE the Rose & Crown - that's definitely a must-see on the list! :beer:

Mitzie
08-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Here is one of my favorite spots and things to do. Arrive early for rope drop at the Magic Kingdom, early so that you are close to the front. Enjoy the show and when the rope drops hurry to the bakery on the right side on main street. Order one of the lunker Cinnamon rolls and a coffee and grab a seat by a window. Sit there wake up drinking the coffee and eating one of the best foods on Disney property and watch all the crowd roll by.

I couldn't agree more. Did this a couple of years ago and it is still one of my fondest memories!

BrerSchultzy
08-08-2012, 10:03 AM
I've got two that I never see mentioned anywhere:

1. Everyone on these boards knows about the upper floor of Columbia Harbour House by now...but did you know Pinocchio's Village Haus has an upstairs too? It's not always open, but when it is, there are four or five tables on a balcony up there overlooking FL (and now the construction for FLE).

2. Watch the fireworks from Frontierland. The show is a little different, but it's always empty.

Oh, and one more...between the Yacht & Beach Club and the Boardwalk there's a little fountain and lawn. Incredibly secluded. And finally, one that others know about, but I haven't seen on this thread...always walk all the way to the back of the World Showcase pavilions. Most guests only go to the first few shops, and they miss the museum in the back of Japan, or the quiet streets in the back of Morocco.

DisneyDawgette
08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
In MK, be sure to visit Aloha Isle! To the right of the stand there is a big, empty area that is near what I believe is a character meet and greet! When we went in June, we stopped by after Wishes! to grab a Dole Whip and chill out on the floor while the park cleared out so that we could get a good seat for the 11pm Spectromagic! We ate, and then moseyed over to Main Street and got an incredible seat right on the curb! I would definitely recommend this plan of action- we had a group of about 35 and it worked flawlessly, so I'm sure with two of you, it would be a piece of cake! :)

Crow
08-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I've got two that I never see mentioned anywhere:

1. Everyone on these boards knows about the upper floor of Columbia Harbour House by now...but did you know Pinocchio's Village Haus has an upstairs too? It's not always open, but when it is, there are four or five tables on a balcony up there overlooking FL (and now the construction for FLE).

2. Watch the fireworks from Frontierland. The show is a little different, but it's always empty.

Oh, and one more...between the Yacht & Beach Club and the Boardwalk there's a little fountain and lawn. Incredibly secluded. And finally, one that others know about, but I haven't seen on this thread...always walk all the way to the back of the World Showcase pavilions. Most guests only go to the first few shops, and they miss the museum in the back of Japan, or the quiet streets in the back of Morocco.

i agree w WS, dont see many people in those parts.

Urbss
08-08-2012, 06:34 PM
There have been some great responses to this thread, some I already knew about and a couple I can't wait to check out. I'll try to add a couple new ones:

Make time to witness the flag ceremony at 5pm in the MK right in Town Square on Main Street. I saw this a couple years ago and it moved me in a way that is very difficult to explain.

During MNSSHP we usually try to grab a bite to eat at Cosmic Rays right before the fireworks, then sit on the ledge outside of Cosmic Rays (facing the Castle of course) and watch the fireworks. No, you can't see everything, but it works for us. And, if we are still eating when it is over, we go back in and check out Sonny Eclipse for the remainder of our meal.

On one visit we found that the bathrooms by Animation Courtyard don't seem to be used as much as many of the others. Actually, they didn't seem very intuitive as to where they were located. The best part of this experience was the water fountains - the water was SOOO cold!! We drank and drank and then filled our water bottles. Plus there were shaded areas to just sit and take a rest.

At EPCOT, I love to stop at Club Cool. That is a nice cool place to stop and get a free refreshment (I don't even mind the Beverly drink) and it never seems to be all that crowded.

And in Italy, it is nice to try to time your visit to grab a glass of wine and grab one of the small tables out to the side of the wine shop right before the street performers start.

And one last thought, if you are purchasing any of the PhotoPass CDs, make sure you tell every PhotoPass Photographer that you have purchased it because sometimes they will do a lot more than the norm. We once had a bored PhotoPass photographer in Italy take us all around the area for at least 20 different backgrounds and poses. It was really an awesome and magical experience.

Have Fun and Good Luck!!!
Tom

A Big Kid
08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
At the MK - the Car Barn. It is to the left as you enter the MK. The Car Barn is the stable for the horses that pull the trolleys down Main Street.

There is one of those checkers tables in there. Also, there is always a CM tending to the horses who is more than happy to brag about their horses. Grab a cold drink and a snack and enjoy some quiet time in there.

MKFD43
08-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Go to fort wilderness for the outdoor movie and smores. You can buy smores kits and cook em over the camp fires.

Lindsey310
08-19-2012, 11:07 AM
There are so many favorites but I will name a few:

I love sitting in the wilderness lodge lobby for hours. My husband and I like to watch people's faces as they enter the lobby. We love all the little details there. Also when it is wicked hot outside and you walk inside wilderness lodge, there is an amazing smell that only the wilderness lodge has with that much needed cool breeze that smacks you in the face.

In magic kingdom, right near the launch off for Tom sawyers island to the left is a little shady spot. I like to grab a bucket of popcorn and sit there for a while.

In animal kingdom, taking your time walking around the tree of life is very nice. Especially when the crowds have thinned out and everyone is on the rides.

In epcot, I like to sit near the entrance to future land, listen to that great music and enjoy some cinnamon almonds!!!! A must have every time I go to Disney!!

In MGM, (yes I still call it that and newbies look at me like huh? What's MGM? Lol ok Hollywood studios) I like over on the back street where the "landscapers" aka bandscapers perform. A great show on the back streets with shady spots on the benches.
Have a magical time and :welcome: to intercot!!!

Only 10 days left!!!!!!! :joy:

Gator
08-19-2012, 12:25 PM
I consider any spot a secret spot if I can get to a bench or chair before someone else does. Those things always have someone in them. My favorite spots would be a spot with a good view of an attraction and some ambient music.