PDA

View Full Version : WDW Weather Forecast - August 30-Sept 15, 2012

Strmchsr
08-01-2012, 03:17 PM
I'll update this first post each day with the forecast (though I'll occasionally miss Sundays), both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. If you want to see the exact conditions for your travel dates over the last few years, go to our historic weather page in Info Central here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp). Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Updated Thursday pm, August 30, 2012
Looks like a high today of 91 with only isolated thunderstorms. A pretty strong high will begin to develop for tomorrow and Saturday with a 594mb heat bubble overhead. That should put highs 92-94 with only a slim chance of an isolated thunderstorm. Sunday the heat bubble moves west so Sunday through Thursday will run 90-92 with scattered afternoon thunderstorms (about a 30% chance).

Long range...Sept 7-15 looks mostly fine. Scattered thunderstorms will be possible every day. Highs will run from low 90s to upper 80s. Certainly normal for this time of the year.

Travel Impact :plane: :truck: :drive:
Still looking at delays in LA and MS today, but everyone else is fine. For tomorrow the delay threat will shift up to AR and MO.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here (http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iblog/B80495344/C2128971884/E162746321/index.html) and here (http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iblog/B80495344/C2128971884/index.html) to learn a lot about turbulence. Those two articles should be very helpful in allowing you to understand turbulence and flight safety when it hits. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!

Tropics :fan:
Isaac is just rain event now. Some small, spin-up tornadoes are possible as he moves north, but the good news is Isaac should bring some welcome rain to drought-hit Arkansas and Missouri, and eventually dropping quite a bit of rain on IL, IN, and OH.

Kirk reached hurricane status today with 75 mph winds, but he is no danger to land and will curve back out to see.

As expected, we also now have Tropical Storm Leslie on the board with 40 mph winds. She should reach hurricane status within 48 hours. However, all models also curve Leslie. The main threat will be to Bermuda. So, none of these storms are a worry for WDW.

See the 2012 Hurricane Policy for WDW HERE (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/).

wdwcarrie
08-03-2012, 05:53 PM
We'll be there Aug. 15-22. How concerned do you think we should be about hurricane activity?

Thanks for the detailed and very interesting posts! I'll keep checking every day until our trip!

Strmchsr
08-03-2012, 06:51 PM
We'll be there Aug. 15-22. How concerned do you think we should be about hurricane activity?

Right now I wouldn't be too concerned. I think system 90L will eventually develop, but it's way too early in the game to say if Florida will be impacted. The long range models rarely handle tropical systems well. Even if the long range models were showing a direct hit on Florida in that time frame I wouldn't be concerned. They just aren't accurate enough. Honestly, I think it'll be another 4-5 days before we begin to get a good idea where that system will eventually end up. So, is a Florida strike possible? Definitely. But given everything I see right now I don't think that's the most likely path.

And you're welcome! I'm glad to help.

DVC2004
08-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks, we'll be there 8/8- 8/14 and I have been watching Ernesto like a hawk! Looks like it will be OK though as far as Florida is concerned.

Strmchsr
08-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks, we'll be there 8/8- 8/14 and I have been watching Ernesto like a hawk! Looks like it will be OK though as far as Florida is concerned.

Oh, yeah. No worries there. I don't see any tropical concerns during your trip.

tinksmom02
08-06-2012, 09:07 PM
We're less than 2 weeks out, so it's time to start obsessively studying Chris' reports again! (the only weather reports worth following, IMHO--you have yet to steer us wrong! So, just steer us away from any hurricanes for this trip, K? ;) LOL)

mickeyman42
08-07-2012, 06:25 AM
We're less than 2 weeks out, so it's time to start obsessively studying Chris' reports again! (the only weather reports worth following, IMHO--you have yet to steer us wrong! So, just steer us away from any hurricanes for this trip, K? ;) LOL)

This is exactly what I do! the rest of the year I never read weather forcasts, but when I'm traveling I turn into a crazy obsessive person who checks multiple sources several times a day. Chris's is the best and after last years "Irene" tracking I have learned not to worry about potential tracks until days before, not weeks before! so with that said I'm only slightly impatiently waiting for the as-of-yet unformed storm that may or may not do anything to somewhere! we arrive on Aug 20th so as long as nothing bothers that, I can handle a rained out day, if need be, though its not a preference. If our plane can leave here and land there I'll be happy, until then I wont be fit to look at!:mickey:

Strmchsr
08-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks, y'all. It's good to know I have obsessive fans. :D

You're right about hurricanes - until we're 3-4 days out on those it's useless guess the final track. We just don't have enough data out in the open ocean to really be able to tell what's going on with the storms until they're pretty close to land.

Now, as for your trips - whether or not there is a threat to Florida will depend on two things - whether there is a ridge or a trough over the eastern US and the position of the Bermuda high. A ridge over the eastern US like we had back in June makes it REALLY hot along the east coast, but it would also push any storm on a more southerly route and likely into Florida. An east coast trough would pick up the storm and pull it farther north. Also, will the Bermuda high be strong enough to deflect the storm? Though nothing is certain at all, I'd say the odds are decently in your favor that any storms developing during August would most likely be turned back out to sea, or would be pushed farther up the US east coast. Things just don't seen lined up right now for a Florida strike from the Atlantic. It could happen, but it's not as likely given current conditions.

jakeybake
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
We are flying out of Boston at 9:00 am on the 22nd so hopefully we can get out of there and to Orlando!!

Fingers crossed!!

Thanks as always!!

J

Strmchsr
08-08-2012, 02:07 PM
We are flying out of Boston at 9:00 am on the 22nd so hopefully we can get out of there and to Orlando!

Right now I think you'll be okay. Models are continuing to develop tropical systems around that time frame, but it's looking like the Bermuda high will push them away from the US coastline. Hopefully that pattern will continue to hold true.

mickeyman42
08-09-2012, 07:33 AM
when invest 92 forms into Gordon, I think it is, what would be an approximate time frame to expect an impact on WDW, if it even gets that far? thanks

jakeybake
08-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Right now I think you'll be okay. Models are continuing to develop tropical systems around that time frame, but it's looking like the Bermuda high will push them away from the US coastline. Hopefully that pattern will continue to hold true.

Thanks Chris. I always appreciate your input and information.

I will continue to keep my fingers crossed! Hoping the weather continues to be bearable through the end of the month!

Jay

Strmchsr
08-09-2012, 12:56 PM
This from NOAA this morning:

This year’s Atlantic hurricane season got off to a busy start, with 6 named storms to date, and may have a busy second half, according to the updated hurricane season outlook issued today by NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service. The updated outlook still indicates a 50 percent chance of a near-normal season, but increases the chance of an above-normal season to 35 percent and decreases the chance of a below-normal season to only 15 percent from the initial outlook issued in May.

Across the entire Atlantic Basin for the season – June 1 to November 30 – NOAA’s updated seasonal outlook projects a total (which includes the activity-to-date of tropical storms Alberto, Beryl, Debbie, Florence and hurricanes Chris and Ernesto) of:

12 to 17 named storms (top winds of 39 mph or higher), including:
5 to 8 hurricanes (top winds of 74 mph or higher), of which:
2 to 3 could be major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of at least 111 mph)

The numbers are higher from the initial outlook in May, which called for 9-15 named storms, 4-8 hurricanes and 1-3 major hurricanes. Based on a 30-year average, a normal Atlantic hurricane season produces 12 named storms, six hurricanes, and three major hurricanes.

“We are increasing the likelihood of an above-normal season because storm-conducive wind patterns and warmer-than-normal sea surface temperatures are now in place in the Atlantic,” said Gerry Bell, Ph.D., lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at the Climate Prediction Center. “These conditions are linked to the ongoing high activity era for Atlantic hurricanes that began in 1995. Also, strong early-season activity is generally indicative of a more active season.”

However, NOAA seasonal climate forecasters also announced today that El Niño will likely develop in August or September.

“El Niño is a competing factor, because it strengthens the vertical wind shear over the Atlantic, which suppresses storm development. However, we don’t expect El Niño’s influence until later in the season,” Bell said.

“We have a long way to go until the end of the season, and we shouldn’t let our guard down,” said Laura Furgione, acting director of NOAA’s National Weather Service. “Hurricanes often bring dangerous inland flooding as we saw a year ago in the Northeast with Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee. Even people who live hundreds of miles from the coast need to remain vigilant through the remainder of the season,” Furgione added.

“It is never too early to prepare for a hurricane,” said Tim Manning, FEMA’s deputy administrator for protection and national preparedness. “We are in the middle of hurricane season and now is the time to get ready. There are easy steps you can take to get yourself and your family prepared. Visit www.ready.gov to learn more.”

Strmchsr
08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
when invest 92 forms into Gordon, I think it is, what would be an approximate time frame to expect an impact on WDW, if it even gets that far? thanks

Most likely the end of next week, though it still doesn't look very likely that the system will come that far north.

Crow
08-09-2012, 04:10 PM
thanks
arriving the nite of the 20th so will keep checking to see what you say

mickeyman42
08-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Ok, some im starting to get a little freaked out by the next wave coming along, not td7, but the next one! Yes i know i know way way too early, but i cant help it. We fly into mco on the 20th, if everything goes against us is it even possible for our flight to be disrupted by a storm? Can it even cross the atlantic that fast? I guess anything is possible, but realistically..... You know, give me the hard facts, i can take it...!

Belster
08-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Ok totally voodoo but I am now nervous about our 9/7-9/16 trip...can you ease my nerves?

Strmchsr
08-10-2012, 01:59 PM
OWe fly into mco on the 20th, if everything goes against us is it even possible for our flight to be disrupted by a storm? Can it even cross the atlantic that fast? I guess anything is possible, but realistically..... You know, give me the hard facts, i can take it...!

Yes, it could, but I don't see any reason for worry. This wave is moving to a high enough latitude that it should stay out at sea and not be a bother for any land. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Ok totally voodoo but I am now nervous about our 9/7-9/16 trip...can you ease my nerves?

Well, I suppose I could tell you I don't see any specific threats right now and that's completely true. :mickey: The only thing I can say right now that far out is the current pattern is not conducive to a Florida strike. In general, most storms are going to go south or north of Florida with the current set-up. That can change, but that's the best I can give you at the moment. Also, keep in mind that WDW is open 365 days a year since 1971. In almost 15,000 total operating days it's had to close down a grand total of 7 days and 1 of those was due to 9/11. So, there's not a lot of reason to worry.

Maleficent's Dad
08-12-2012, 10:22 AM
No sign of extreme heat or tropical mischief for Florida.
:thumbsup:
Thanks, Chris! I was wondering about the development of TD7, as we're arriving Saturday.

Just purely for the sake of interest, something pretty cool is going on with the tropics. The tropical wave that eventually became hurricane Ernesto has traveled from Africa, all the way across the Atlantic, through the Caribbean, made landfall twice in Mexico and is now moving into the Pacific. It's quite likely that once in the Pacific it will regenerate. If so, it will not keep the name Ernesto. Instead, it will be called Hector, which is the next name on the Pacific list. This is an extremely rare occurrence and there is a possibility that the regenerated system could eventually affect the Baja region. Who would have thought this to be the case a week ago or more when we were tracking something that, at one point, could have ended up making landfall anywhere from Florida to Texas. Now, it’s eventual final landfall could easily be along the Pacific coast of Mexico.
Very cool. I didn't realize they'd rename the storm if it passed into the Pacific. :mickey:

Thanks for all the updates! Hoping you have a very good and blessed Sunday.

Strmchsr
08-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the updates! Hoping you have a very good and blessed Sunday.

Thanks Frank! You too.

Crow
08-12-2012, 02:23 PM
thanks:thumbsup: i arrive the 20th at nite, so it looks like alls gonna b well

mickeyman42
08-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks Chris, it must be pretty calm if I've even stopped worrying!

Hull-onian
08-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Is it too far out to get a weather report for August 26th? We are hoping for sunny with no thunderstorms........please........

Strmchsr
08-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Is it too far out to get a weather report for August 26th? We are hoping for sunny with no thunderstorms........please........

Thunderstorms are an every day part of Orlando weather through the summer months. Aug 26 looks pretty normal. No specific rain chances but about a 50-50 shot that they will move over in the afternoon along the sea breeze. But don't worry, they generally don't last more than an hour.

JerseyDad
08-19-2012, 09:51 PM
......anyone keeping an eye on the possible hurricane forming in the eastern Atlantic?

I just can't deal with another hurricane impacting my trip to WDW on the 24-25th. And if it forms...it's going to be another "I" named storm...just like "Irene" last year. My stomach was in knots driving all the way down I-95 to WDW....this is just too much of a coincidence. :eek:

Strmchsr
08-20-2012, 07:40 AM
......anyone keeping an eye on the possible hurricane forming in the eastern Atlantic?

Yes, I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. We actually have 2 out there to watch. For Aug 24-25 I think you're okay. The morning run of the more reliable models does have the potential Isaac impacting WDW on Aug 27-28. Not all models agree with that, though, and no track is certain. Until the storm actually reaches storm/hurricane strength it's very difficult to say what it will do. The other system out there looks like it will curve along the east coast.

I'll have a full update on all the tropics with the regular weather update this afternoon. Sorry for the anxiety! That's sometimes an unfortunate part of going to WDW during peak hurricane season. No matter how unlikely it is one will actually strike there's always something out there to be worried about.

Tink&Goofy
08-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Now I'm nervous.
We are supposed to arrive at WDW on Aug 27, about 5:00pm, from the west coast. What are the chances we will have flight problems getting there? I'm not only concerned about a last minute cancellation, but a mid-flight diversion to somewhere else.
Would we be better off trying to change our flight to arrive Sunday instead (if we can)? Since we HAVE to be home on Labor Day, it wouldn't work to shift the entire trip.
HELP!

Strmchsr
08-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Would we be better off trying to change our flight to arrive Sunday instead (if we can)? Since we HAVE to be home on Labor Day, it wouldn't work to shift the entire trip. HELP!

Don't change anything just yet. Wait another day or two until things firm up. It's possible you'll be able to get in on the 27th. Models are flipping back and forth between impact on east and west side of Florida. I think the east coast is more likely, which would greatly reduce impact on WDW, but we'll know more in another day or so.

Lindsey310
08-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Oh boy, hope we don't have any flight delays when we fly in on august 30th. :confused:

Only 7 days left!!!!! :mickey:

Strmchsr
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Oh boy, hope we don't have any flight delays when we fly in on august 30th. :confused:

It all depends on where the storm goes. For you, an east coast storm could cause more disruption than a Gulf-side storm, even though a Gulf storm would have greater impact on Orlando. This will be a white-knuckle 24-48 hours while we really try to get handle on things. I think by Friday we'll be fairly certain about timing and location.

barnaby
08-22-2012, 12:22 PM
It all depends on where the storm goes. For you, an east coast storm could cause more disruption than a Gulf-side storm, even though a Gulf storm would have greater impact on Orlando. This will be a white-knuckle 24-48 hours while we really try to get handle on things. I think by Friday we'll be fairly certain about timing and location.

I am driving down Friday nite and arriving at WDW on Sat (Aug 25). Just checking the most recent storm tracks, looks like WDW will be getting hit Monday. I am hoping its just rain and they'll keep the parks open.

Strmchsr
08-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Just checking the most recent storm tracks, looks like WDW will be getting hit Monday. I am hoping its just rain and they'll keep the parks open.

Right now I don't see anything that would make me think the parks will be closed. Maybe some stormy weather, but no need to close down. I'll give a full update in about an hour when all of the 12z model runs are in.

barnaby
08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Right now I don't see anything that would make me think the parks will be closed. Maybe some stormy weather, but no need to close down. I'll give a full update in about an hour when all of the 12z model runs are in.

I'll check back, thanks!!

Crow
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Im down here now and keeping an eye on it, esp as tuesday cause thats when im flying out of orlando.
thanks for keeping us updated

Strmchsr
08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Im down here now and keeping an eye on it, esp as tuesday cause thats when im flying out of orlando.
thanks for keeping us updated

I wouldn't be too concerned about your flight getting out of Orlando, especially if you're leaving Tuesday afternoon. My greater concern is what might lie to your north that would cause flight delays or diversions. I'll definitely keep posting!

GrumpyFan
08-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Watching this situation very closely and nervously! We arrive on Saturday for 5 days! Got the ponchos and hip-waders packed. :D
Recommendations on anything else to bring?

jimsgal05
08-22-2012, 07:40 PM
now I wished I bought travel ins...lol... We arrive sat so I am not worried and hopefully Sunday at epcot is okay..so we can see the show...as for our Monday looks like rainy day at MK... if that is all I am fine. this not knowing I think is worse than the storm it self..I am from Maine so 45 MPH winds I can handle that is a really wi dnday here...but crazy weather at disney I am not sure about...well I HOPE ALL US STILL HAVE A GREAT TIME NO MATTER WHAT WE ARE AT DISNEY..and thank you to..who ever is posting the weather up dates...I forgot to copy your Name...:(
may TS go out to sea in the ATLANTIC..and not hit FL

Strmchsr
08-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Recommendations on anything else to bring?

I think that about sums it up! :D

now I wished I bought travel ins...may TS go out to sea in the ATLANTIC..and not hit FL

If you are really concerned, check out Disney's hurricane policy. It allows you to rebook without penalty. Your only concern would be the airfare, but airlines will often work with you in this kind of situation anyway. Sunday should be fine. There could be some scattered thunderstorms, but Monday through Tuesday morning will be the worst of it. And no problem! I'm glad to help.

Belster
08-23-2012, 12:02 AM
AHHHHH totally worried about this! We arrive on 9/7-9/16...I hope that there is not any tropical storm activity then. Help ease my nerves..lol... I know it is vooodooo though.

JerseyDad
08-23-2012, 12:23 AM
....latest models (11pm) ...have the storm shifting ever so slightly to the west of Fla by Monday night...and inland (north) by Tuesday night (and hopefully will start to weaken). I know there are severe drought conditions all over the US ...but too much rain at once isn't pretty either.

Jen C.
08-23-2012, 05:35 AM
We arrive for a week in WDW tomorrow. (Fri). I am not worried in the slightest. Friends, anytime you go to WDW, you run the risk of rain. This of course, would be heavier, and stormier, but I see no need to panic over nature. If we have a "rain out" day, we will take advantage of resort activities, movie rentals, and relaxation. If two of my seven days are rain outs, who cares??? ;) At least I'm getting wet in WDW!! Bear in mind you typically get a thunderstorm every afternoon during this time of year anyway! Strap on those ponchos, and let the fun begin!

Of course, if you have saved and saved and are worried about your vacation not being "worth it", then by all means, look into rescheduling, or cancelling with the hurricane cancellation allowances. But, I encourage you to trust in the universe, and go with the flow!!!:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
08-23-2012, 08:31 AM
AHHHHH totally worried about this! We arrive on 9/7-9/16...I hope that there is not any tropical storm activity then. Help ease my nerves..lol... I know it is vooodooo though.

Unfortunately, that's impossible to say right now. Any storm that would potentially impact Florida during that time frame won't come off the African coast until middle to end of next week. By next weekend at the latest I should be able to tell you if there are any potential threats.

barnaby
08-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately, that's impossible to say right now. Any storm that would potentially impact Florida during that time frame won't come off the African coast until middle to end of next week. By next weekend at the latest I should be able to tell you if there are any potential threats.

Whats the latest your seeing for Issac?
Looks like a rainy Monday and Tuesday, with some clearing Tuesday nite.

Strmchsr
08-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Whats the latest your seeing for Issac?Looks like a rainy Monday and Tuesday, with some clearing Tuesday nite.

The models continue to shift slightly west and I think that's a good call. The storm has had a hard time getting its act together so I expect it to move a little more westward before turning north. I think the outer bands will begin to move through late Sunday with Monday being very stormy and clearing Tuesday morning. Maybe an isolated shower or two left over on Tuesday but nothing major for Orlando. Looks like the Florida panhandle will be the final destination.

disneymomma2010
08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Oh my goodness, im so worried. We will be at disney sept. 1-6 and then going to ormond beach the 6th-9th. Im wondering if we should postpone our trip. It sounds like the beach is definatly out.

Strmchsr
08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh my goodness, im so worried. We will be at disney sept. 1-6 and then going to ormond beach the 6th-9th. Im wondering if we should postpone our trip. It sounds like the beach is definatly out.

No, don't cancel anything right now. That's still "voodooland". WAY too early to know if anything will impact your trip during that time frame. Give it until Monday and we'll have a better idea then.

Tink&Goofy
08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Friends, anytime you go to WDW, you run the risk of rain. This of course, would be heavier, and stormier, but I see no need to panic over nature.

I agree - I'm really not worried about a hurricane while we are there. HOWEVER, I AM worried about issues with flights getting there, since we are scheduled to fly cross country Monday, arriving early evening.

Still debating whether I should try to change to an earlier flight to avoid issues. I just don't want to have flight delays and lose days out of our plans. Guess I will wait until tomorrow and see what the latest is.

Jen C.
08-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I agree - I'm really not worried about a hurricane while we are there. HOWEVER, I AM worried about issues with flights getting there, since we are scheduled to fly cross country Monday, arriving early evening.

Still debating whether I should try to change to an earlier flight to avoid issues. I just don't want to have flight delays and lose days out of our plans. Guess I will wait until tomorrow and see what the latest is.

I see the concern here! Change to the earlier flight!!! Then you know you are there!! Your return will be NO PROBLEM!! We will be there at the same time? Where are you staying? I wish you all the best in your travels. I know the weather will be great for us. ;)

darthmacho
08-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Chris,
We're in WDW now. What do you think we're in for next week here at WDW? Praying for minimal disruption to our magical vacation! :mickey:

Strmchsr
08-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Chris,
We're in WDW now. What do you think we're in for next week here at WDW? Praying for minimal disruption to our magical vacation! :mickey:

I think you'll see periods of thunderstorms and some gusty winds tomorrow evening through Monday, but it really shouldn't disrupt your vacation too much. It looks like the storm will stay far enough west that WDW will get some rain and thunderstorms, but will avoid the worst of the storm.

darthmacho
08-25-2012, 01:26 PM
I think you'll see periods of thunderstorms and some gusty winds tomorrow evening through Monday, but it really shouldn't disrupt your vacation too much. It looks like the storm will stay far enough west that WDW will get some rain and thunderstorms, but will avoid the worst of the storm.

Thanks for all the updates! Praying for a miss. Weather has been decent so far this week, a few t-storms here and there, but not too disruptive. I want to do Fantasmic Tuesday night! Monday is our off day, so if it rains then, we'll be okay!

Strmchsr
08-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the updates! Praying for a miss. Weather has been decent so far this week, a few t-storms here and there, but not too disruptive. I want to do Fantasmic Tuesday night! Monday is our off day, so if it rains then, we'll be okay!

I think you'll be fine Tuesday night. No worries there. And the storm does seem to be shifting west a little bit. While that's good news for WDW, it's going to mean a lot of suffering for a lot of other people as the storm will be over open water longer and have more time to intensify. I was really hoping it would come up the Florida peninsula and just be a heavy rain event. Instead it's now looking like we'll have a major hurricane on our hand and it's going to be bad for the AL/Florida panhandle coast.

Hull-onian
08-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Does Downtown Disney stay open during bad weather? Monday was our Magic Kindom Day. Will we be able to go at night? I have only been there during one rainstorm once, and it wasn't too bad. Thanks for any tips.......

darthmacho
08-25-2012, 04:49 PM
I think you'll be fine Tuesday night. No worries there. And the storm does seem to be shifting west a little bit. While that's good news for WDW, it's going to mean a lot of suffering for a lot of other people as the storm will be over open water longer and have more time to intensify. I was really hoping it would come up the Florida peninsula and just be a heavy rain event. Instead it's now looking like we'll have a major hurricane on our hand and it's going to be bad for the AL/Florida panhandle coast.

Oh no, that is awful. I hope the storm remains disorganized, and that wherever it makes landfall that everyone will be safe and damage will be minimal. :(

Strmchsr
08-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Does Downtown Disney stay open during bad weather? Monday was our Magic Kindom Day. Will we be able to go at night? I have only been there during one rainstorm once, and it wasn't too bad. Thanks for any tips.......

Depends on how bad it is, but usually, yes. As for MK, I think you'll be okay by Monday evening. The storm is looking to go a little further west which means the impact on Orlando should end earlier. That's not 100% for sure, but I think you have at least a decent chance of improving conditions Monday evening.

Crow
08-25-2012, 07:14 PM
thanks
im here so will see how it affects us the next few days and my flight tuesday

Strmchsr
08-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Right now I think your flight Tuesday should be fine. Probably pretty bumpy in parts, but I think you'll get out of Orlando okay.

MinnieMommie
08-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Hello Chris - I have a friend who is leaving tomorrow (Monday) morning from Boston to take a group of kids to WDW on a early morning flight. He asked us to check with you about what they might expect as far as weather and travel. Thanks! You are our go to person for all things WDW weather related. :mickey:

Disney Hungarian
08-26-2012, 09:20 AM
This storm is frustrating. Now, I am thinking I may run to WDW to avoid the storm. Quite a difference in thinking from just 48 hours ago.

Thank you Chris, for keeping us up to date. :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
08-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Hello Chris - I have a friend who is leaving tomorrow (Monday) morning from Boston to take a group of kids to WDW on a early morning flight. He asked us to check with you about what they might expect as far as weather and travel. Thanks! You are our go to person for all things WDW weather related. :mickey:

I think they'll be fine. Expect some bumpy weather as the plane moves into Florida but Isaac has moved far enough west that I don't expect big travel issues at MCO. Minor delays are possible, but I don't think there will be any major travel issues.

This storm is frustrating. Now, I am thinking I may run to WDW to avoid the storm. Quite a difference in thinking from just 48 hours ago. Thank you Chris, for keeping us up to date. :thumbsup:

No kidding! This is an extremely frustrating storm, but all tropical storms are, honestly. Yeah, it looks like the MS/AL coast is the bulls-eye. I'm thinking Mobile Bay late Tuesday night right now. That would keep you away from the worst of it, but if this thing keeps shifting west it could be bad. the only problem is if you're going to WDW you better head out tonight or tomorrow morning because by Tuesday I-10 may not be drivable. Be safe!

Lindsey310
08-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Oh boy, the weather will be really heating up just in time for us to get there! leaving in 3 short days, only 2 more work days!!! :D

Disney Hungarian
08-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I just got off the phone with WDW. I am driving out early tomorrow morning. It was actually cheaper to run to Disney to avoid the storm than it was to go anywhere else. Thanks again Chris!

Strmchsr
08-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Oh boy, the weather will be really heating up just in time for us to get there!

Yeah the problem with a hurricane is all the sinking air behind it. Really heats things up. But you'll have fun!

I just got off the phone with WDW. I am driving out early tomorrow morning. It was actually cheaper to run to Disney to avoid the storm than it was to go anywhere else. Thanks again Chris!

Be safe, Sean! I think that's a good move. The 12z models have shifted slight further west again so New Orleans to Mobile, which definitely includes MS impact, is looking more and more likely. Have fun and no worries.

Crow
08-26-2012, 10:55 PM
had some rain today at the parks but not too bad. we will see how Monday goes

Strmchsr
08-27-2012, 07:42 AM
had some rain today at the parks but not too bad. we will see how Monday goes

Should be about the same. You'll have rain for a chunk of the day, sometimes heavy, but things should begin to improve by this evening.

Ed
08-27-2012, 07:45 AM
WDW area is getting sporadic heavy rain and moderate wind this morning. No reports of any major damage; some minor flooding in outlying areas, some power losses, but all in all not bad.

:rain:

Crow
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
sun was out then rained some today, but it stopped now. doesnt look bad of course now that Im at the airport leaving. flight is listed on time

Strmchsr
08-28-2012, 03:01 PM
sun was out then rained some today, but it stopped now. doesnt look bad of course now that Im at the airport leaving. flight is listed on time

You shouldn't have any problems on the way home. Safe travels!