PDA

View Full Version : Cars Land in place of Lights, Motors, Action!

TinkerbellT421
08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
So I have seen some internet murmurings and rumors that apparently Disney is thinking about shutting down Lights, Motors, Action! and replacing it with the same type "Cars Land" that was recently opened and has received much attention in Disney Land.

Allegedly, it is very costly to operate Lights, Motors, Action! and it is rumored that Cars Land will give Hollywood Studios the much needed better attention than what it receives now.

Does anyone know if there is any villidity to these rumors?

And fellow Intercotees, what are your thoughts? Would you rather have Cars Land in WDW or Lights, Motors, Action! ?

Joannelet
08-01-2012, 10:25 AM
This would be interesting and a great idea! I better get my son there this trip as he finally watched it on youtube and agreed to see it. Last attempt he was too young and was so upset by the loud noises we had to carry him out. Now he is finally ready to view lights, motor action. As long as he gets to see it at least once then they can replace it with CARSLAND. :)
I LOVE this idea/rumor though!! We are BIG CARS fans!!!

ChipNDale79
08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
So I have seen some internet murmurings and rumors that apparently Disney is thinking about shutting down Lights, Motors, Action! and replacing it with the same type "Cars Land" that was recently opened and has received much attention in Disney Land.

Allegedly, it is very costly to operate Lights, Motors, Action! and it is rumored that Cars Land will give Hollywood Studios the much needed better attention than what it receives now.

Does anyone know if there is any villidity to these rumors?

And fellow Intercotees, what are your thoughts? Would you rather have Cars Land in WDW or Lights, Motors, Action! ?

I know Id love to see that, but people have been talking about that for a few years now, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that just yet. Maybe it'll happen and maybe it won't, personally, I hope it does.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm not a fan of LMA at all, so anything would be better. Some more Cars stuff would be great!

(of course, they could just re-do the Speedway, but that's a different rumour ;))

darthmacho
08-01-2012, 11:07 AM
The new land would be better than the stunt show and would fit quite nicely into the DHS theming. Instead of an exact copy of the DL version, they should add a ride or attraction unique to WDW. :twocents:

Also, Carsland? Avatarland? Does everything have to be forced into a name with "land" attached to it? Both of these sound pretty stupid. Can't they call them Radiator Springs and Pandora and be done with it?

Stu29573
08-01-2012, 11:09 AM
We saw LMA a couple of trips ago and were fairly unimpressed. It takes up way too much real estate for the payoff in my opinion. I really hope this is true, but with the latest news of spending cutbacks cant see it happening.....just yet anyway.

disneymom15
08-01-2012, 11:10 AM
I would love to see Carsland in that area.

I also agree the speedway needs to be updated.

ChipNDale79
08-01-2012, 11:28 AM
The new land would be better than the stunt show and would fit quite nicely into the DHS theming. Instead of an exact copy of the DL version, they should add a ride or attraction unique to WDW. :twocents:

Also, Carsland? Avatarland? Does everything have to be forced into a name with "land" attached to it? Both of these sound pretty stupid. Can't they call them Radiator Springs and Pandora and be done with it?

I wouldn't be surprised if is called Radiator Springs and would be a part of Pixar Place....

I've always thought they had other attractions in mind for Pixar Place when it was built, I mean, why would you call it Pixar Place if there was really only one attraction from Pixar movies located in that area?

TinkerbellT421
08-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Ha! I forgot to voice my opinion at the end of my original post lol.

I personally would love to see Cars Land! LMA is redundant, nothing changes, it's the same show/act every year, we usually see it every other year but we are never heart broken to miss it. And isn't LMA right outside of the "Cars" meet and greet area? I forget but it would make sense to replace LMA with Carsland and not have to make to many moves to the current "meet n greet" area (again, if that's where I'm thinking the area is DHS always confuses me with it's setup!)

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up right now... While it would be nice to lose LMA, Carsland belongs in DCA and should stay there... No more clones... How about something, oh I don't know, ORIGINAL???

In fact, Imagineering has shown TDO a proposal for a DCA style refurb of ALL of DHS (and that park needs it as it really is Disney's worst)... And, in true TDO fashion, they have cut, cut, cut and whiddled it down to... NOTHING!!!

Why would anyone actually think something of substance would ever come to WDW with this bunch of "management talent" in WDW??? Until the pink slip is given to the lot, expect nothing of any substance... you won't be disappointed LOL...

With that said, Staggs is supposed to be in WDW for the next few days... here's to hoping he lights a fire under these do-nothings in WDW and forces some big projects down their throat...

Strmchsr
08-01-2012, 12:07 PM
In fact, Imagineering has shown TDO a proposal for a DCA style refurb of ALL of DHS (and that park needs it as it really is Disney's worst)... And, in true TDO fashion, they have cut, cut, cut and whiddled it down to... NOTHING!!!

Yep. That's exactly true. The rufurb in CA has been a huge hit, raised attendance, and is receiving rave reviews. The idea was pushed to do something similar with DHS, but, as you said, TDO has whittled it down to pretty much nothing. So, the OP's question - no, not going to happen any time in the near future. Something like that was proposed, but TDO has shot it all down. Currently the only thing in the planning at DHS is a refurb of the backlot tram, and even that isn't very extensive.

Imalismom
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I have read somewhere else that there is an agreement that Cars Land will be exclusive to DL for a certain number of years, it's either 3 or 5 -- before it can be built in another park.

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Yep. That's exactly true. The rufurb in CA has been a huge hit, raised attendance, and is receiving rave reviews. The idea was pushed to do something similar with DHS, but, as you said, TDO has whittled it down to pretty much nothing. So, the OP's question - no, not going to happen any time in the near future. Something like that was proposed, but TDO has shot it all down. Currently the only thing in the planning at DHS is a refurb of the backlot tram, and even that isn't very extensive.

Exactly... I mean, they didn't even want the new Star Tours, why would they want any kind of major refurb of the park that needs it the most??? They had the Monsters Inc family dark ride/coaster all but green lit and cancelled that... They had major refurb plans for Fantasmic, and they cut that (and the falling apart version currently showing needs a major refurb or just taken out of its misery completely)... They have removed effects from Great Movie Ride...

People really have to stop thinking anything of substance will ever come to WDW as long as Meg and her minions are in charge... Again, hopefully Staggs shows up in Orlando with a flame torch and pink slips... Otherwise, WDW will continue to lessen in quality... and crumble under the strained infrastructure...

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
I have read somewhere else that there is an agreement that Cars Land will be exclusive to DL for a certain number of years, it's either 3 or 5 -- before it can be built in another park.

First I heard of that, but I also wouldn't doubt that to be true...

phillydan
08-06-2012, 01:19 PM
They had major refurb plans for Fantasmic, and they cut that (and the falling apart version currently showing needs a major refurb or just taken out of its misery completely)...

Interesting that you mention this - we were set to go to the late showing last week and it was cancelled at the last minute due to "technical issues". I spoke with a CM and they said that there had been glitches all week. When we finally did see the show 2 nights later, some of the effects were not working properly (the torches on the Indian barges at the beginning did not come on, the flaming arrow and explosion were out of synch, etc). Still a good show, but definitely needs some TLC.

Stu29573
08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
When I last saw Fantasmic in 2010 the stream of fire from the dragon was bairly even a puff. It was very disappointing!

DizneyFreak2002
08-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Interesting that you mention this - we were set to go to the late showing last week and it was cancelled at the last minute due to "technical issues". I spoke with a CM and they said that there had been glitches all week. When we finally did see the show 2 nights later, some of the effects were not working properly (the torches on the Indian barges at the beginning did not come on, the flaming arrow and explosion were out of synch, etc). Still a good show, but definitely needs some TLC.

The torches have been very spotty for a long time now... The pyro is a recent issue and if I am not mistaken, the cause for a few cancellations within the last few months... The lift that takes Mickey to the top of the mountain at the end of the show is also broke... Didn't work in October when I was there last year and was not fixed during the refurb in January/February... And is also spotty... I have seen recent videos of Fantasmic, some shows the lift works, most shows, it doesn't...

I agree, it is a great show which has now been lowered in quality because of the issues...

Roger's #1 Fan
08-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I've got reservations for Fantasmic later this week.... I'll let you know if anything has changed.

Back on topic... you would have thought the whole Pixar Place designation would indicate more attractions but given how long they have stalled on the Monsters Inc. coaster I agree there is little energy around it.

The hope would be that the turnaround at DCA linked to the Cars and Buena Vista refurb would be enough of a wake up call that something similar in DHS will have the same effect.

TheDuckRocks
08-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I have always really enjoyed LMA but in recent visits have sort of gone along with group and went to see it. If I would have missed it I wouldn't be heartbroken.
After seeing all the things from California Adventure I'm all for replacing LMA with the Cars stuff!

joonyer
08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I would love to see a Cars themed attraction somewhere at WDW, doesn't have to be a clone of Carsland form DCA. I also have no qualms with losing LMA, it's lame after seeing it once. But I am not holding my breath for either to happen anytime in the near future (or longer) unless there is a complete overthrow of management at WDW.

DizneyFreak2002
08-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I would love to see a Cars themed attraction somewhere at WDW, doesn't have to be a clone of Carsland form DCA. I also have no qualms with losing LMA, it's lame after seeing it once. But I am no holding my breath for either to happen anytime in the near future (or longer) unless there is a complete overthrow of management at WDW.

Breathe, it is ok... good things coming, good things... The fire has finally be lit under TDO... They finally realize the boy wizard has cut into their numbers (more so this year than last)... We are going to have to still deal with cuts, which I will always stand against because they are cutting for the sake of artificially inflating WDWs numbers (which are taking a hit no matter how much of a postive spin they are putting on it)... But they are finally nervous... And they finally realize something needs to be done... There is a great big beautiful tomorrow...

BrerGnat
08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Well, I don't expect to see Carsland over at DHS ever. Some Disney execs were asked about that in some interviews at Carsland's grand opening, and they all but said that it would never happen, and that Carsland would only be found at DCA IN THE U.S. PARKS.

Considering that a large reason for the entire DCA refurb was to get people to visit Disneyland resort and stay there longer, I don't think cloning Carsland in Orlando would be a smart idea for the company.

That said, the LMA show is a major money drain. That stadium costs a lot of money to maintain and the popularity of the show is non existent. The stunt drivers command huge paychecks and the cars are costly to maintain. It's a lose-lose for Disney. They need to demo that attraction and figure out something else for that space.

DizneyFreak2002
08-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Well, I don't expect to see Carsland over at DHS ever. Some Disney execs were asked about that in some interviews at Carsland's grand opening, and they all but said that it would never happen, and that Carsland would only be found at DCA IN THE U.S. PARKS.

Considering that a large reason for the entire DCA refurb was to get people to visit Disneyland resort and stay there longer, I don't think cloning Carsland in Orlando would be a smart idea for the company.

That said, the LMA show is a major money drain. That stadium costs a lot of money to maintain and the popularity of the show is non existent. The stunt drivers command huge paychecks and the cars are costly to maintain. It's a lose-lose for Disney. They need to demo that attraction and figure out something else for that space.

All of Carsland, probably not... RSR??? Well.... that is another story...

joonyer
08-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Breathe, it is ok... good things coming, good things... The fire has finally be lit under TDO... They finally realize the boy wizard has cut into their numbers (more so this year than last)... We are going to have to still deal with cuts, which I will always stand against because they are cutting for the sake of artificially inflating WDWs numbers (which are taking a hit no matter how much of a postive spin they are putting on it)... But they are finally nervous... And they finally realize something needs to be done... There is a great big beautiful tomorrow...

Crossing my fingers and Wishing . . . . :thumbsup:

MizMissy
08-07-2012, 02:38 PM

This differs from your tone on August 1. Did something happen for you to make that change?

DizneyFreak2002
08-07-2012, 02:47 PM
This differs from your tone on August 1. Did something happen for you to make that change?

Trusted news from a trusted source :)

Couple that with resort occupancy down into the 60% range from the typical 80% range, and, well, sooner or later someone had to wake up and realize something was wrong and something needed to be done... And let us not forget, Potter 2.0 is coming in 3 years and another huge attendance driver, Transformers, is coming next year to Universal...

TDO is still planning on making cuts: to entertainment, possible to park hours, possible to dining hours, and stuff backstage we won't even ever know about... Also, they are thinking of taking hotel rooms offline (thus inflating the occupancy rate artificially) and then refurbing them (looking for good press)... But something was awoken in TDO... And that only means good things for us...

Jared
08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I would love to see a Cars themed attraction somewhere at WDW, doesn't have to be a clone of Carsland form DCA. I also have no qualms with losing LMA, it's lame after seeing it once. But I am not holding my breath for either to happen anytime in the near future (or longer) unless there is a complete overthrow of management at WDW.
That future you describe is closer than you think.

BrerSchultzy
08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I would be surprised to see Cars Land in DHS, since the whole point of spending that Billion dollars in Anaheim was to get people to come to Disneyland Resort. BUT, a Cars Land type overhaul is needed for DHS. If it weren't for TSM, we wouldn't even consider spending a day of our 6 day trip there in September with our 4 y/o. And we still might not spend any time there. It is a half-day park at best for us, and has always been the park we go to on "pool day".
The theme of DHS is falling apart....it's becoming too scattered. But if it weren't for the theming of the park, it's just an amusement park with one roller coaster, one drop ride, one simulator ride, two dark rides, a 3-d Movie and 2 stunt shows. Does that sound like something you'd pay $80 to go to? No. It sounds like a scenario in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

BrerGnat
08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
All of Carsland, probably not... RSR??? Well.... that is another story...

Yeah, I agree with this. Probably will see RSR come to WDW eventually. It's easy for them to make copies once they've done all the leg work.

However, first they better get on making RSR more efficient. It's down All. The. Time., from what I've been hearing.

DizneyFreak2002
08-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I agree with this. Probably will see RSR come to WDW eventually. It's easy for them to make copies once they've done all the leg work.

However, first they better get on making RSR more efficient. It's down All. The. Time., from what I've been hearing.

We will see RSR in WDW if TDO wins the power struggle with TDA while warring it out in Burbank... If TDA wins the power struggle, and they may since John Lasseter has more power and pull than people can imagine and he wants RSR/Carsland to be a DCA exclusive, then forget RSR and expect something else... Seems like what JL wants, JL gets... Should be interesting to say the least...

waymickey
08-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I awould love to see LMA show gone. I liked it the first time I saw it but after that it was eh.

I don't think a complete remake of cars land is what they need either. Why not someting new to DHS from the cars movie. I am sure if given the resources the imagineers could come up with an area and attractions from the cars movie that would be great. RS cozy cone course with "drive" in cars?
Well they could do better than that. DHS needs some major overhauling. They could update or replace IJSSS too iMHO.

DizneyFreak2002
08-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Adding a little fuel to the fire: Kathy Magnum, who led the Carsland development in DCA has now been appointed to an executive producer role in WDW...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-kathy-mangum-imagineering-20120808,0,5898268.story

Crow
08-08-2012, 09:39 PM
hmmm
DHS does need some work..im suprised they left One mans Dream open..im glad they did..
the animation tour, the backlot tour. GMR needs redone, fixed...

March Hare
08-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Adding a little fuel to the fire: Kathy Magnum, who led the Carsland development in DCA has now been appointed to an executive producer role in WDW...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-kathy-mangum-imagineering-20120808,0,5898268.story

This is the type of news I have been waiting for. I do find it interesting that she has been placed into a roll that was newly created for her which puts her in charge of attraction and resort design. I wonder if they are taking the green light power out of TDO's hands and putting it into hers. If so that may give Disney World the same power that Disneyland has with John Lasseter and we may finally see some big things for the World. This also may be a sign of the end for the current "cut everything" management in the World as they could be grooming her to take over but just want to make sure she is the right one or they need to wait for some contract obligations before she can take over. Either way it is a sign that Iger recognizes what the problem might be and is finally doing something about it:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
08-09-2012, 01:05 PM
This is the type of news I have been waiting for. I do find it interesting that she has been placed into a roll that was newly created for her which puts her in charge of attraction and resort design. I wonder if they are taking the green light power out of TDO's hands and putting it into hers. If so that may give Disney World the same power that Disneyland has with John Lasseter and we may finally see some big things for the World. This also may be a sign of the end for the current "cut everything" management in the World as they could be grooming her to take over but just want to make sure she is the right one or they need to wait for some contract obligations before she can take over. Either way it is a sign that Iger recognizes what the problem might be and is finally doing something about it:thumbsup:

No one will ever have the same amount of power as JL... Until JL decides to leave... And remember, despite the apparent good news, this is still the management team that cuts, cuts, cuts... So while something good will be coming, how much of the project will wind up cut to save some money??? I'm counting on the good out weighing the bad on this...

Even though there is good news coming from the halls of TDO, their cost cutting management style will not end until there is a management shake up in Orlando... And no, I don't think Kathy Magnum's reassignment is the start of it... I think within the course of the next 6 months to a year we are going to see some management shake ups in Orlando... So, they may be seeing the writing on the wall regarding their jobs which could also be prompting them to act...

texas211
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Well, Lightning McQueen does appear at the show now.

bwgens
08-12-2012, 10:35 PM
No one will ever have the same amount of power as JL... Until JL decides to leave... And remember, despite the apparent good news, this is still the management team that cuts, cuts, cuts... So while something good will be coming, how much of the project will wind up cut to save some money??? I'm counting on the good out weighing the bad on this...

Even though there is good news coming from the halls of TDO, their cost cutting management style will not end until there is a management shake up in Orlando... And no, I don't think Kathy Magnum's reassignment is the start of it... I think within the course of the next 6 months to a year we are going to see some management shake ups in Orlando... So, they may be seeing the writing on the wall regarding their jobs which could also be prompting them to act...

I believe you are correct in all your assessments of the situation. I do think however that there is a potential for some monumental changes for WDW in the next 2-5 years. The major factors that could contribute to this are HP 2.0, Trasnformers, and also the coming change at the CEO position. Depending on who gets that spot, it could mean some major upheaval at WDW. Things are already looking up with the new appointment of Kathy Magnum. I think that job will be mostly to oversee the initial development of Pandora in AK, but it is a direct link back to the home office on how things are really going here in FL. That can only mean good things.

big blue and hairy
08-12-2012, 10:36 PM
hmmm
DHS does need some work..im suprised they left One mans Dream open..im glad they did..
the animation tour, the backlot tour. GMR needs redone, fixed...

The Animation tour needs to be restored, it was once great, now, not so much.

:sulley:

DizneyFreak2002
08-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Is it almost time to say goodbye to LMA and hello to a lot of rock work????

TinkerbellT421
08-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Is it almost time to say goodbye to LMA and hello to a lot of rock work????

Are you possibly hinting about knowing something?!? :D

Roger's #1 Fan
08-28-2012, 09:44 PM
The Animation tour needs to be restored, it was once great, now, not so much.

:sulley:

Really was upset last week when we went through the Animation "area" at DHS. :( It's just a shell of its former self. And although my daughter loved the opportunity to work with an animation artist (she did two sessions), the rest of the area was just very sad to look at compared to when they were actually working in the studio.

Two meet and greets, a few exhibits and a few lame interactive stations was not my idea of lauding Disney Animation

DizneyFreak2002
08-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Are you possibly hinting about knowing something?!? :D

Me knowing?? No... someone possibly working on the project hinting??? Maybe...

TinkerbellT421
08-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Me knowing?? No... someone possibly working on the project hinting??? Maybe...

I'm a little giggly and excited! Lol :D

DizneyFreak2002
08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm a little giggly and excited! Lol :D

Unless it is a ruse and TDO has decided on a land based on My Little Pony..

TinkerbellT421
08-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Unless it is a ruse and TDO has decided on a land based on My Little Pony..

:sick: :ill:

Jared
08-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.

That is all.

minnie04
08-29-2012, 09:42 AM
WOW!! I never thought of DHS for Cars, but that might be just what they need there. That park is really nice, but it is missing something big and fun for all ages. I know they have the Toy Story ride, also the two big rides for the older kids/adults. I just wish they had something big and fun for all ages and I think "Cars land" would be cool. The nice thing is they have plenty of room back there to make it awesome for everyone. The last time I went to DHS it was spring break and the place wasn’t even packed. That’s not good. I think people make it a half day park :(

Buttercup
08-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I have to agree with Jared & DisneyFreak -- something is in the works if we're getting our information from the same places...... :secret: :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
08-29-2012, 10:48 AM

That is all.

Or, as far as LMA is concerned, shut them off...

Then, restart them again with lots of rock work..

I have to agree with Jared & DisneyFreak -- something is in the works if we're getting our information from the same places...... :secret: :mickey:

Ohhh something is in the works alright... So much so that they have begun to investigate how and who broke this so quick... Can we say OOOPS lol...

TinkerbellT421
08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Ohhh something is in the works alright... So much so that they have begun to investigate how and who broke this so quick... Can we say OOOPS lol...

So, for once, the rumors on the internet I found were maybe POSSIBLY true? woohoo. I'm sluth-y ;)

DizneyFreak2002
08-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Wow, I'm reading possibility of this starting in FY 2013, which starts October 1, 2012... Not that construction will start on or by October 1, just that this may be greenlit by then, with LMA closing any time within the fiscal year...

At this rate, RSR won't open unto 2020 (Disney construction time LOL).. And probably before Avatar...

Jared
08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Or, as far as LMA is concerned, shut them off...
Fair point.

waymickey
08-31-2012, 09:31 AM
What is LMA and TDO ? My brain has trouble at times deciphering ?:confused:

Melanie
08-31-2012, 09:36 AM
What is LMA and TDO ? My brain has trouble at times deciphering ?:confused:

LMA = Lights Motors Action

TDO = Team Disney Orlando

Mousemates
09-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Or as Pat Summit said at Bristol Motor Speedway " Ladies and Gentlemen start your engines"...lets not leave the princess drivers out of the equation, I have a niece who loves Cars. :thumbsup:

Melanie
09-01-2012, 10:27 AM
So how exactly are they justifying/fitting this into the theming of DHS? I assume it's just the Radiator Springs Racers that's coming, as opposed to the entire CarsLand as it is at DCA?

Strmchsr
09-01-2012, 01:58 PM
So how exactly are they justifying/fitting this into the theming of DHS? I assume it's just the Radiator Springs Racers that's coming, as opposed to the entire CarsLand as it is at DCA?

Yes, that's correct. Justify? Well, you know DHS doesn't really have a theme beyond movies and Cars is a movie so there you go.;)

Disney4us2
09-01-2012, 02:45 PM
After visiting Cars Land quite a few times, including opening day. Does DHS really have the room that RSR takes? The area taken up by RSR is gigantic and covers both outdoor and indoor aspects to the attraction.

Would it be done where the current stage area is for LMA?

The theming is so incredible and RSR is just part of that theming. It would be strange to see just RSR and mot the rest of Cars Land. Still haven't finished looking at all the nooks and crannies and stores of Cars Land. Just so much detail.

PirateLover
09-01-2012, 04:14 PM
I would rather see a ride in place of LMA but can't they do something new, not another copy from a different park? Radiator Springs Racers is cool, but it really is just Test Track with a Cars theme.

DizneyFreak2002
09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
After visiting Cars Land quite a few times, including opening day. Does DHS really have the room that RSR takes? The area taken up by RSR is gigantic and covers both outdoor and indoor aspects to the attraction.

Would it be done where the current stage area is for LMA?

The theming is so incredible and RSR is just part of that theming. It would be strange to see just RSR and mot the rest of Cars Land. Still haven't finished looking at all the nooks and crannies and stores of Cars Land. Just so much detail.

There is plenty of room on the LMA plot...

TinkerbellT421
09-02-2012, 08:55 AM
There is plenty of room on the LMA plot...

Especially if they get rid of the Backlot Tour, which if they have already cut that ride in half.

DizneyFreak2002
09-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Especially if they get rid of the Backlot Tour, which if they have already cut that ride in half.

Yep... part of the RSR attraction/Carsland would eat some of Back Lot Tour...

azcavalier
09-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Yep... part of the RSR attraction/Carsland would eat some of Back Lot Tour...

OK, what I have seen is that they have filed permits to start the work, that several people responsible for CarsLand in DCA have been assigned to Orlando, and that it looks like they will be taking out LMA, reworking the Backlot tour, and moving backstage stuff around (like the security offices) in order to have room.

Sweet! Imminent change is a happenin'!

Gator
09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm all for it. Quite honestly, Cars Land will far outperform and out-draw AvatarLand. I can guarantee that.

DizneyFreak2002
09-04-2012, 08:51 PM
OK, what I have seen is that they have filed permits to start the work, that several people responsible for CarsLand in DCA have been assigned to Orlando, and that it looks like they will be taking out LMA, reworking the Backlot tour, and moving backstage stuff around (like the security offices) in order to have room.

Sweet! Imminent change is a happenin'!

You saw permits for this??? Mind sharing???

azcavalier
09-05-2012, 01:23 PM
No, I haven't seen permits of it. The place I get news from on the internet though, they always look for what permits have been filed, etc, etc. In many cases it's pretty boring stuff, like the permits filed that signals a refurb of the Coral Reef restaurant. But to say that they've seen permits about reconfiguring the Backlot Tour for future expansion, along with the reassignment of the CarsLand staff from California and the closing of the LMA show....

If you want, i'll send anyone the link in a PM. They've actually got a photocopy of the Backlot permit plans posted.

They've also seen permits filed to add a character "meet n greet" in the Epcot entrance plaza. No, the monoliths aren't going away.

Strmchsr
09-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Both the current permit for the Backlot Tour and the character meet n greet at Epcot are pretty minor issues, though. From what I understand, the character meet n greet is intended to be temporary while they do a major refurb of the Character Spot. And I've seen those Backlot permits. They don't indicate much. I was excited about the Carsland folks being reassigned, too, and I think that's more promising than any of the rest as long as TDO doesn't try to "cheap" their way out of this like they're doing on most other things.

DizneyFreak2002
09-05-2012, 01:54 PM
No, I haven't seen permits of it. The place I get news from on the internet though, they always look for what permits have been filed, etc, etc. In many cases it's pretty boring stuff, like the permits filed that signals a refurb of the Coral Reef restaurant. But to say that they've seen permits about reconfiguring the Backlot Tour for future expansion, along with the reassignment of the CarsLand staff from California and the closing of the LMA show....

If you want, i'll send anyone the link in a PM. They've actually got a photocopy of the Backlot permit plans posted.

They've also seen permits filed to add a character "meet n greet" in the Epcot entrance plaza. No, the monoliths aren't going away.

Those permits aren't really doesn't point to anything of substance happening... They are, as Chris said, minor...

azcavalier
09-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Both the current permit for the Backlot Tour and the character meet n greet at Epcot are pretty minor issues, though. From what I understand, the character meet n greet is intended to be temporary while they do a major refurb of the Character Spot. And I've seen those Backlot permits. They don't indicate much. I was excited about the Carsland folks being reassigned, too, and I think that's more promising than any of the rest as long as TDO doesn't try to "cheap" their way out of this like they're doing on most other things.

The meet n greet, absolutely. It's just used as proof that anyone can go and look at the permits that Disney files when they are going to be working on a project.

Reconfiguring the backlot tour for park expansion, though, along with the demise of LMA doesn't seem minor to me, though.

DizneyFreak2002
10-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Depends who you listen to, some say Carsland (the whole land, not just a portion of it) has been greenlit... others with very well connected sources (ones I trust more) say it hasn't been greenlit yet, and plans are still very fluid at this point... Two things are expected as part of the DHS revamp... A Monsters Inc coaster should be part of the revamp, and the Sorcerer Hat should be going bye bye...

But, yes, this is WDW after all, so until actual construction begins, NOTHING should be assumed to be or not be happening...

Granny Jill A
10-04-2012, 01:37 PM
That WOULD be exciting to have a Cars-themed attraction instead of LMA. I was bored out of my mind during the show, and I think there's more action in a video game nowadays.

My kids and grandkids haven't visited WDW in several years because nothing much changes. This might bring them back.

Hope so......

Stu29573
10-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Depends who you listen to, some say Carsland (the whole land, not just a portion of it) has been greenlit... others with very well connected sources (ones I trust more) say it hasn't been greenlit yet, and plans are still very fluid at this point... Two things are expected as part of the DHS revamp... A Monsters Inc coaster should be part of the revamp, and the Sorcerer Hat should be going bye bye...

But, yes, this is WDW after all, so until actual construction begins, NOTHING should be assumed to be or not be happening...

Strangely, the most exciting part of this post to me was the destruction of the Hat from The Nether Regions... We can only dream...

Butters
10-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Can't wait to see that hat gone!!!

Roger's #1 Fan
10-04-2012, 03:38 PM
... A Monsters Inc coaster should be part of the revamp, and the Sorcerer Hat should be going bye bye...

YESSS! That would be awesome. I, for one, would love to see the hat placed outside the entrance to DHS rather than lost entirely. Hollywood Blvd restored to its former glory! :number1:

As for the Monsters Inc. coaster, I hope it would be based on the earlier concept of the door storage area with an arm based ride system versus some dark ride through like the 7 dwarves coaster.

TheVBs
10-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Oh man. I know I'm in the minority but I'm going to miss that hat. :( We have many family pictures in front of it.

DisneyRPh
10-06-2012, 05:40 PM
If the hat goes...any ideas what the central "icon" will be for the park then? The Hollywood Tower Hotel?

Roger's #1 Fan
10-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Hollywood Blvd. with Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Just like DCA has Buena Vista Street with Carthay Circle Theatre.

DizneyFreak2002
10-06-2012, 05:50 PM
If the hat goes...any ideas what the central "icon" will be for the park then? The Hollywood Tower Hotel?

Just because the hat leaves its current position, doesn't mean it leaves the park... it can always be relocated to the outside entrance gates into the park, which, I believe has been looked at before...

With that said, lately ToT has been the icon chosen to represent DHS... In the past the water tower has been the park's logo/icon...

DHS has no direction at this point... I don't think Disney knows what they want DHS to be... We know the working studio didn't work out as planned... Once they get a true direction for the park, then maybe they can find a true park icon... Until then, just as the park is a mix of confusion, the icons will also be a mix of confusion....

PS. one more post to 20,000 for me... Man, I've been here a long time and posted tons... I need to make my 20K post special.... Hmmmm...

Mousemates
10-06-2012, 07:21 PM

A very good thing to remember indeed...aka Avatar. :thumbsup:

Aurora
10-06-2012, 07:25 PM
...As for the Monsters Inc. coaster, I hope it would be based on the earlier concept of the door storage area with an arm based ride system versus some dark ride through like the 7 dwarves coaster.

I am so excited to see the door scene in 3D in December!! That will at least feel somewhat like a ride to me. (And if they offer the movie in DBox in my local Muvico, I'm springing for the $20.)

DizneyFreak2002
10-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Carsland still seems to be the leader of the proposed DHS make over... And the MI coaster is supposedly one step closer to reality this time...

Dsnygirl
10-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Casting one more vote for Carsland... I would LOVE to see WDW do what Disneyland has done!! It looks amazing, and I think it would be a TERRIFIC draw for DHS. Granted, we're big Cars fans, but we've also seen the LMA show, and once was enough. ;)

Love the idea of a MI coaster, as well... that would be awesome. Just hope they do it before I get to the point I don't do "big" coasters anymore... :D