PDA

View Full Version : Aulani

faline
07-31-2012, 07:21 PM
For those of you who have visited this resort...

What should not be missed?

What did you do that you might have done without?

How was the dining (I've been reading some mediocre reports on dining here)? Any must do's?

Any dining in the resorts/nearby locations (walking distance) that's worth visiting?

Any other tips/suggestions?

Thank you!

AZ Disney
08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Hi,
We visited this resort for a few hours back in February. We have some fun pictures with Mickey and Goofy at a character breakfast. The food was expensive and standard for DL or WDW.

We toured the grounds and they were very nice. They had a snorkeling pool, water fun pool, etc. Pretty much all the amenities of a deluxe resort that I could tell without staying on property.

The rest of the day we spent on the beach outside the resort. One note, that all Hawaii beaches are public, so this is not just for guests. The cove directly behind the resort is absolutely beautiful. Our family had so much fun snorkeling with turtles (real, wild sea turtles) and playing on the beach. There are beach rentals as well (chairs, rafts, etc.) The resort area around the Aulani is beautiful as well. A great alternative to the hustle of Waikiki. From this location you would need a car.
IMO Aulani is not where I would want to spend my Disney time or money. The Hawaiian Islands are so beautiful and we enjoy doing the typical Oahu activities.

Hope that helps!

DVC2004
08-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi- I had posted end of June or early July about our time here in early June. I don't know if you saw those or not.

We didn't love the Starlit Hui show (on select nights), which was a variety of song, story telling and dance. However, you can check it out and if it's not your cup of tea it's easy to get up and exit. It is held outdoors. You could check it out and see what you think.

Outside at nigh near MakaHiki (buffet restaurant) there were a muscical group that played every nice Hawaiian music. There was outside seating also with the attached bar where you could get a snack or drinks and go listen to them. There were good- we enjoyed.

Snorkeling in rainbow reef was good if you like that - similar to Typhoon Lagood but a little cold! The beach and lagoon are very nice and calm. My son and husband rented a stand up paddle board and they liked that.

We enjoyed the Off the Hook pool bar and we did try Ama Ama, the nice sit down place once for lunch. I thought it was just OK. Service was good but pricey.

If you like mexican food, a close place just across the street was Just Tacos. We went there twice and it was pretty good and not terribly high priced (most items $10-$15, seafood more). Very close if you want to walk.

Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

MyDisneyworld
01-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best time of year to go? We were thinking about the first week in May but would be willing to change. I have heard the weather is great all year but there must be better times to go. We will be taking our kids which at that time they will be 10 and 7 (just turning 8). Hoping to do some fun activities while we are there like the helicopter ride, etc.

faline
01-10-2013, 08:56 AM
One of the attractions of Hawaii is that the weather is pretty constant year round which makes any time of year a good time to go. Our last couple of trips have been in early February. Daytime temps are wonderfully comfortable. Evenings can be chilly enough to require jeans and a sweatshrt.

Winter trips (December - February) are memorable because this is whale season - when the humpback whales migrate to the Hawaiian Island to give birth. Whale watching is the highlight of this season. We have watched whales breach while walking along the beach and/or sitting on our lanai in the evenings.

Brer Longhorn
01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
I'd have to agree with the sentiments above. Hawaii is great anytime of the year so why not plan your trip when it's cold in MI and you can enjoy 80 degree days in JAN/FEB. Rent a convertible or jeep and soak up the sun every chance you get :) Plus, as mentioned the humpbacks are there and they are amazing!! My wife and I just got back with two of our kids -7 and 8. They loved it.
Loved the Aulani - pool is great and lots of things to keep my kids busy.
Offsite, they enjoyed the Bishop Museum and I was surprised how much they enjoyed the historic sites at Pearl Harbor.
If you have the chance, if i may, can I recommend trying to experience one of the other islands while you are so close. Maui is my favorite - the differences are worth the extra airfare.