PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney World and Disneyland to Launch "My Disney Experience" application

Figment!
07-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Disney Parks & Resorts has internally announced that they will launch a new multi-platform application to enhance Guest's in-park experience.

The new application, My Disney Experience, will be available at the Walt Disney World resort in August 2012 and at the Disneyland resort in 2013.

The application will be launched for iPhone, iPad, and Android platforms in August 2012 with versions for Blackberry and Windows phone platforms to follow in 2013.

The application has been confirmed to feature the same functions as Disney Mobile Magic (wait times, character locations, maps, etc.) and is semi-confirmed to include interfacing with the forthcoming RFID-based FastPass and Park Ticket system.

As a result of the new application's launch, Disney Mobile Magic will cease operation in Early 2013.

My Disney Experience will be available through individual platform's application marketplaces at no charge.

missastrocat
07-31-2012, 01:47 PM
This sounds neat! One thing that makes me curious is why I've been seeing a push for the Mobile Magic App on commercials lately. Why would they sink so much money into it only to stop it in 2013?

Do you think they hope those that are on the Mobile Magic App will like that so much it'll have them jump over more easily to the new app?

seanyred
07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
This sounds neat! One thing that makes me curious is why I've been seeing a push for the Mobile Magic App on commercials lately. Why would they sink so much money into it only to stop it in 2013?

Do you think they hope those that are on the Mobile Magic App will like that so much it'll have them jump over more easily to the new app?

Since this app will replace Mobile Magic and is also free they can just force the Mobile Magic app to update to the new version.

I can't wait to give this app a try on our up coming trip. I hope at least part of the new fast pass system is running by then.

potzie
07-31-2012, 02:50 PM
As a Canadian, I would love this functionality, but at $5/MB for data or I can pay $10 and $1/MB this makes this functionality expensive. Any chance they are going to create free wifi throughout the parks that would create a way to get around the need for data?

ChipNDale79
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
As a Canadian, I would love this functionality, but at $5/MB for data or I can pay $10 and $1/MB this makes this functionality expensive. Any chance they are going to create free wifi throughout the parks that would create a way to get around the need for data?

I wouldnt think this would eat up a lot of bandwidth, just a guess though. I only have 2MB on my plan and never come close to it.

Now granted I use Wifi a lot, I'd think you'd have to be doing some streaming if you are going to get close to the 2MB. As long as there is no streaming, Id think if you have a normal data plan on your phone, you'd be ok.

DizneyRox
07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
As a Canadian, I would love this functionality, but at $5/MB for data or I can pay $10 and $1/MB this makes this functionality expensive. Any chance they are going to create free wifi throughout the parks that would create a way to get around the need for data?I wouldnt think this would eat up a lot of bandwidth, just a guess though. I only have 2MB on my plan and never come close to it.

Now granted I use Wifi a lot, I'd think you'd have to be doing some streaming if you are going to get close to the 2MB. As long as there is no streaming, Id think if you have a normal data plan on your phone, you'd be ok.
I think the problem is, they are Canadian, and thus will probably eat up International minutes and data while at WDW (a US location). International rates are usually priced high... Courtesy WiFi would be nice, and I think they could limit it to Disney properties if they wanted to (they allow some web access for free on the ship, pay gets you outside sites).

Quadstriker
08-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Figured that they were going to add some sort of in-park app like this.

Sounds neat.

Would LOVE to be able to get fast passes on the phone.

ChipNDale79
08-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Figured that they were going to add some sort of in-park app like this.

Sounds neat.

Would LOVE to be able to get fast passes on the phone.

As long as the fast passes are for the same day, and not days in advance, Id love that also.

potzie
08-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I wouldnt think this would eat up a lot of bandwidth, just a guess though. I only have 2MB on my plan and never come close to it.

Are you sure you are not thinking GB? 2MB is about 5 webpages for the month maybe less. My wife's iPhone uses about 300MB/month and she isn't streaming anything. My Blackberry which are are known to be much more efficient in how they process data uses about 50MB/month. At $5/MB for international data usage even 10MB would be $50 to use this "free" app for a week.

ChipNDale79
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Are you sure you are not thinking GB? 2MB is about 5 webpages for the month maybe less. My wife's iPhone uses about 300MB/month and she isn't streaming anything. My Blackberry which are are known to be much more efficient in how they process data uses about 50MB/month. At $5/MB for international data usage even 10MB would be $50 to use this "free" app for a week.

Actually, yeah you are right, i was thinking GB and not MB.

PopPhan
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
The thing I like about this is that it is not Verizon ONLY! The Disney Parks app is OK, but will be glad that this new one will have a but more to it.

Looking forward to putting this on my Tab once it becomes available.

AgentC
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Just saw a report that Free WiFi is coming to the Magic Kingdom and that it will be rolled out to all the other parks over the next few months.

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
And the Data Mining, I mean $1 billion dollar waste, um, NextGen project begins...

Figment!
08-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Just saw a report that Free WiFi is coming to the Magic Kingdom and that it will be rolled out to all the other parks over the next few months.

Yep. Some Guests have even reported that it is now active at the Magic Kingdom. :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
I am glad to hear about the WiFi, just so us Canadians (and other international visitors) aren't left out of all of the new functionality coming.

j2k
08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Does anyone know when the new app will be available? I just checked the App Store and didn't see it. I am going to WDW soon and hope to try it out.

Buttercup
08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Anyone else think the Wi-Fi at the parks is going to stink as bad as the Wi-Fi at the resorts? All those tens of thousands of people gobbling up all the bandwidth so it's super slow and kicks you off all the time?!?! :ack:

Dr. Disney
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Anyone else think the Wi-Fi at the parks is going to stink as bad as the Wi-Fi at the resorts? All those tens of thousands of people gobbling up all the bandwidth so it's super slow and kicks you off all the time?!?! :ack:

No doubt. "Free" wifi is a great thing, but not in this type of environment. The speeds will be slow, especially with an app like this. I will use my cellular data and hope that is not at a snails pace.

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Does anyone know when the new app will be available? I just checked the App Store and didn't see it. I am going to WDW soon and hope to try it out.

I read somewhere possibly beginning of August... But haven't seen any kind of official date yet...

DizneyRox
08-01-2012, 08:04 PM
They can (and probably will) use traffic shaping to prioritize NextGen traffic over other non essential traffic. They certainly won't be allowing people to run BitTorrent clients all day on their network. Even non Disney sites can be slowed to a crawl if they wanted to. Hey, maybe that's what they are doing now!

Quadstriker
08-02-2012, 02:37 AM

Probably, but it's good to have it anyway for foreign travelers who don't have data plans in the US.

Based on the internet in the resorts, my guess is that most US guests will be better off with their 4g or 3g or whatever.

Ian
08-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Based on the internet in the resorts, my guess is that most US guests will be better off with their 4g or 3g or whatever.Depends ... almost all carriers now have limited data, so if the system is data intensive with a lot of rich content (video, images, etc.) it could end up pushing a lot of people over their 2gb limit and then they'll get hit with huge bills.

Might not make them so enamored of the system if that happens. I think it's success is dependent on the wifi.

shadowden
08-02-2012, 12:24 PM
The new application, My Disney Experience, will be available at the Walt Disney World resort in August 2012 and at the Disneyland resort in 2013.

Not sure why they would change the name from Mobile Magic. Seems like a great waste of money in the marketing of that platform just to have to rebrand everything...

PopPhan
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Not sure why they would change the name from Mobile Magic. Seems like a great waste of money in the marketing of that platform just to have to rebrand everything...

I believe, and I could be wrong, that the Mobile Magic app is/was a Verizon only app. To open this up to other providers, they would need to either pay Verizon for the rights or come up with their own platform/provider independent app.

This is only conjecture on my part. You may take it with a healthy dose of salt! LOL

j2k
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I believe, and I could be wrong, that the Mobile Magic app is/was a Verizon only app. To open this up to other providers, they would need to either pay Verizon for the rights or come up with their own platform/provider independent app.

This is only conjecture on my part. You may take it with a healthy dose of salt! LOL

I have At&T and have the Mobile Magic App. When opening the initial App screen does have Verizon on it so I think you may be onto something there!
:high5:

Kati
08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
The application has been confirmed to feature the same functions as Disney Mobile Magic (wait times, character locations, maps, etc.) and is semi-confirmed to include interfacing with the forthcoming RFID-based FastPass and Park Ticket system.

Is the current application reliable? In terms of updating the audience with this amount of information, I hope the new app is accurate! :thumbsup:

tinklover
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
The App is out. I just installed it on my phone. :number1:

AgentC
08-02-2012, 07:45 PM
The App is out. I just installed it on my phone. :number1:

Me too. Very cool to see the wait times from my house.:)

missastrocat
08-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Right now it's only available to the iPhone/iPads... I can't wait for it to be out on my android! The screenshots of the app look neat!

tinksmom02
08-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Me too. Very cool to see the wait times from my house.:)

Added the app this afternoon--had DD at the dr and we were checking out the wait times. Fun!

j2k
08-03-2012, 02:15 AM
I added the app today. Logged into my account and I couldn't see any wait times or my reservation. I wonder if that info will show when I get near WDW (soon).

AgentC
08-03-2012, 07:34 AM
I added the app today. Logged into my account and I couldn't see any wait times or my reservation. I wonder if that info will show when I get near WDW (soon).

I haven't looked at every part of it yet, but I did not see a place to show my current reservations (yet at least), but you should be able to see the times even if you are are not near WDW. Did you try going to the Times Guide? There is one screen that just shows the hours attractions are open, but the times guide should show you the wait times.

Disney Hungarian
08-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I installed the app on both my iPhone and on the iPad. It looks ok on the iPhone. But, is much better on the iPad. Disney impressed me with this app on the iPad. Their track record for anything IT related had me skeptical. I am now anxious to see this when its full functionality is available.

j2k
08-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I found the wait times. Thanks for assisting me. This is a great App, can't wait to use it.

Wolf
08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Any idea when it'll hit android? I just looked, nothing for us yet.

DizneyFreak2002
08-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Any idea when it'll hit android? I just looked, nothing for us yet.

For Android, Fall 2012...

MinnieMommie
08-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Very excited about this! This will be another great tool to be able to tap into. :thumbsup:

Dyanna
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
As I dont have a smart phone will it work on an Ipod?

Disney Hungarian
08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
As I dont have a smart phone will it work on an Ipod?
Yes, I have installed it on my iPod touch and it worked. My iPod is a rather older one too.

Crow
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
WL free WIFi wasnt real good in June
SOG was ok
POFQ was better than WL some.

steamboat willy
08-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I down loaded yesterday. It is neat, just hate the menu's are not available. Shows me wait times, next show is at, your location in Park (I Think)?
Dining, Parks, Entertainment, Wait Times, and MORE. Now waiting on December!:santa::tree::santa:

magicofdisney
08-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Wow! It's beautiful on the iPad3. I loaded it on the phone at the same time and it's like 2 different experiences. I'm super excited to have this!

On a side note, I was picking up wifi at MK last summer. It would not allow me to send pics through text messaging. Unless things have changed, there are limitations to its usage.

Goofy4TheWorld
08-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Wow, 42 posts and I am the first person to say "Hey, what about us dumb phone users!!" :old:

I guess the tables have turned from the days where Mobile Magic wasn't available for smart phones.

TinkerbellT421
08-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Downloaded it last night! I'm super excited! I downloade it on my iPad though so it will be relatively useless there until I can get my iPhone in september!

Goofster
08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
I installed it in on my Samsung Android phone with ATT just now. It was in the Google Play store. It's kind of funny that loads up with the Verizon logo on it. :D

DizneyFreak2002
08-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I installed it in on my Samsung Android phone with ATT just now. It was in the Google Play store. It's kind of funny that loads up with the Verizon logo on it. :D

Are you sure you downloaded "My Disney Experience"???

Melanie
08-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Yeah, that sounds like Mobile Magic (which I've already deleted from my phone).

DizneyFreak2002
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Yeah, that sounds like Mobile Magic (which I've already deleted from my phone).

You have a Droid phone Mel??? I figured that is what Goofster meant... My Disney Experience isn't out for Android systems yet... Hopefully soon... I have it on my iPod... Have to check it out tonight.. :)

Melanie
08-06-2012, 05:58 PM
You have a Droid phone Mel??? I figured that is what Goofster meant... My Disney Experience isn't out for Android systems yet... Hopefully soon... I have it on my iPod... Have to check it out tonight.. :)

No, no. No Droid here. I'm just confused. lol! I thought when she mentioned Verizon it would have to be Mobile Magic. This new app has nothing to do with Verizon, correct?

DizneyFreak2002
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
No, no. No Droid here. I'm just confused. lol! I thought when she mentioned Verizon it would have to be Mobile Magic. This new app has nothing to do with Verizon, correct?

As far as I know the new app has nothing to do with Verizon... Mobile Magic was designed by Verizon and made available for only Verizon customers in the beginning, at least for free... Then they released it for everyone else... I guess since Verizon designed it their logo stayed... The download i did for my iPod is only a blue square with the mouse ears inside... Kind of reminds me of the blue RFID scanners being used for NextGen fastpass+ testing...

Roger's #1 Fan
08-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Downloaded it on my iPad last night.

Will be trying it out in the world ...TOMORROW! :number1:

Very cool layout and interactivity. I'll be curious to see how accurate the info is, at least in MK since I only have Wifi.

Goofster
08-07-2012, 12:12 PM

No idea, I have the My Disney Experience App on my iPad which has the blue mouse ears logo. The app on my android phone has a different logo, but when opened the apps look the same. But I haven't really played around with it that much on my phone to compare the two since the ipad screen is bigger.

Both apps have a menu and I can make dining reservations from the android app and the ipad app. But the android app doesn't show the fast pass return times like the ipad one.

DizneyFreak2002
08-07-2012, 01:11 PM
No idea, I have the My Disney Experience App on my iPad which has the blue mouse ears logo. The app on my android phone has a different logo, but when opened the apps look the same. But I haven't really played around with it that much on my phone to compare the two since the ipad screen is bigger.

Both apps have a menu and I can make dining reservations from the android app and the ipad app. But the android app doesn't show the fast pass return times like the ipad one.

Then you have Mobile Magic on your Android and My Disney Experience on your ipad... IT hasn't been released for android systems yet...

Goofster
08-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Then you have Mobile Magic on your Android and My Disney Experience on your ipad... IT hasn't been released for android systems yet...

That makes sense then. Very cool app on the iPad though. We'll definitely be using it on our next trip!

DizneyFreak2002
08-08-2012, 02:03 PM
That makes sense then. Very cool app on the iPad though. We'll definitely be using it on our next trip!

I downloaded it to my iPod (never got into that ipad craze) but haven't tried it out yet... I think i should LOL...

Dyanna
08-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Ok. Just bought a droid phone yesterday & then realized that the app is not avail for this. The site online says fall release for droid systems but can someone be more specific? We are going in early Oct & was hoping it would be avail by then.:(

March Hare
08-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Downloaded it last night! I'm super excited! I downloade it on my iPad though so it will be relatively useless there until I can get my iPhone in september!

Actually they just installed free wi-fi in the Magic Kingdom and they are installing it in the other parks as well, it should be up and running in phases by the end of the year. So it is not completely useless it just will probably run very slowly depending on how many people are on the network

DizneyFreak2002
08-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Ok. Just bought a droid phone yesterday & then realized that the app is not avail for this. The site online says fall release for droid systems but can someone be more specific? We are going in early Oct & was hoping it would be avail by then.:(

I have a droid too... Sadly, only Fall 2012 is the most specific information out there right now...

BriarRose0708
08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I have it on my iPhone and it's really nice! I like randomly checking wait times throughout the day and pretending like I'm there, lol. I will definitely be using this in October!

What I don't get is why there are new commercials for the Mobile Magic app when the change is coming really soon :confused:

Goofy4TheWorld
08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I have it on my iPhone and it's really nice! I like randomly checking wait times throughout the day and pretending like I'm there, lol. I will definitely be using this in October!

What I don't get is why there are new commercials for the Mobile Magic app when the change is coming really soon :confused:

Does the new app show exact wait times (when not at WDW) or is it like the old app and just shows slow/moderate/etc... (can't remember what it used to say).

BriarRose0708
08-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Does the new app show exact wait times (when not at WDW) or is it like the old app and just shows slow/moderate/etc... (can't remember what it used to say).

It will show wait time in minutes, just like at the parks. Right now at 3:08 p.m. it shows Big Thunder a 50 minute wait and Fast Passes are available from 4:20 to 5:20 :mickey:

CuteAsMinnie
08-14-2012, 08:45 AM
I downloaded the ap to my iPad but when I went to long in to view wait times and other features, it must said "loading" forever. I tried deleting and reloading the ap....same thing.

Any ideas?

Maybe I really don't NEED the ap.... :confused:

Roger's #1 Fan
08-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Used the app during our stay last week. It was pretty accurate regarding wait times and current fast pass distribution info.

Came in very handy when planning our moves in the park. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
09-05-2012, 07:15 PM
For Droid users, the app is now available...

Dsnygirl
09-05-2012, 08:29 PM
For Droid users, the app is now available...

Cool!! Just downloaded it, will check it out at work later... :thumbsup:

PopPhan
09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks, DF2K2! Just started the download. Looks good!

OK....Took a few minutes to give it a brief glance....I think I'm going to like this app!!! Of course, it is going to make me want to be at WDW constantly!! LOL

Stu29573
09-06-2012, 10:15 AM
...and we're downloading now....:D

DizneyFreak2002
09-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I've been playing around with the app since downloading it yesterday... it takes a little time to sync up with your account... Otherwise it seems like a decent replacement for the other Disney app... Still slow in places but I take that as 1) servers are still being tinkered with and 2) this is pretty much still a beta test version and they are working out the kinks..

Overall, I can see this app being useful.. and yes, tied into NextGen...

Stu29573
09-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Hmmmm, so far I'm not seeing anything any different from the last ap...Am I missing something? Maybe since NextGen isnt really up, the cool stuff comes later?

DizneyFreak2002
09-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Hmmmm, so far I'm not seeing anything any different from the last ap...Am I missing something? Maybe since NextGen isnt really up, the cool stuff comes later?

Not all of the NextGen is up and running yet... But one thing that is different, you can access the parks while not being in WDW... You can get the wait times from home...

Stu29573
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Not all of the NextGen is up and running yet... But one thing that is different, you can access the parks while not being in WDW... You can get the wait times from home...

You know, since I had other aps that would do that, I never even noticed that the official one didn't, lol. Anyway, I'm sure it will be cool when its up and running...

DizneyFreak2002
09-06-2012, 02:08 PM
You know, since I had other aps that would do that, I never even noticed that the official one didn't, lol. Anyway, I'm sure it will be cool when its up and running...

Tour Plans Lines app?? I never paid for it, refused to give money to people who are trying to earn a living on Disney's protected IP... :)

Stu29573
09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Tour Plans Lines app?? I never paid for it, refused to give money to people who are trying to earn a living on Disney's protected IP... :)

Nope, Undercover Tourist. I'm too cheap to pay for ANY ap! lol:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
09-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Nope, Undercover Tourist. I'm too cheap to pay for ANY ap! lol:thumbsup:

Ahh ok.. heard about that one too, never tried it though...