PDA

View Full Version : Hotel near Central Park

Katzateer
07-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Anyone know of a safe, nice place to stay near the ABC studio in NYC where Live with Kelly is broadcast. I am going in September by myself and don't want to spend a lot of $$$$ just for sleeping but want to feel comfortable by myself too. I have to be there the night before because no train will get me to Penn station before 8:20 am

SBETigg
07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
I haven't stayed up quite that far but the Hilton New York right around 6th and 53rd is quite decent and often very affordable.

ElenitaB
07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
A dear friend and her family stayed at a very nice hotel located near 59th and Sixth. I'll be sure to send her a link to this thread so that she can pipe in.

Mickey'sGirl
07-31-2012, 10:36 PM
At Ellen s request .... The Salisbury near Carnegie Hall is very modest but the rooms are suites.... sleep 4. and are not expensive. A great location for a great price!

garymacd
08-05-2012, 01:00 PM
We stayed at a Hampton Inn on 8th Ave. and W. 51st St. It is literally steps away from Rockfeller Center, Times Square, David Letterman Theatre.

There is another Hampton on W. 39th St. between 8th and 9th Ave. This one is closer to the studios and the theatre district.

Of course, there is also the storied Hotel Pennsylvania, right across the street from Penn Station. It is getting a little dated but it is a central area for tourism and business. Phone number is still PEnnsylvania 6-5-Oh-Oh-Oh. Read reviews on this hotel before committing to it.

As for safety, we walked all over mid-town from Penn Station to the PATH station, all the way to Central Park as late as 2 am and never felt unsafe. NYC has done so much to ensure the safety of its citizens and visitors over the past 20 years, that it really is a very safe city.

We found that Times Square has security guards but act more as ambassadors for visitors. If you have a problem or are lost, these uniformed people are there to help and direct you to wherever you want to go. Police presence is great, but not overwhelming.

Just about every hotel in Mid-Town Manhattan is expensive. Since it is a tourist and business area, there are not too many cheap and good hotels.

princessgirls
08-05-2012, 11:29 PM
I stayed at a amazing place last May for my sister's wedding.

Ink 48. It's a Kimpton Resort. Amazing...and not too pricey for NYC. It's on 48th and 9th. LOVED it!!!

Probably the one and only time I'll ever stay in a NYC hotel, as we live 25 miles from the city.
Julie:mickey:

Katzateer
08-06-2012, 08:07 AM
At Ellen s request .... The Salisbury near Carnegie Hall is very modest but the rooms are suites.... sleep 4. and are not expensive. A great location for a great price!

Looked it up- if I go with the family this one looks great.

I ended up booking at a Comfort Inn about 4 blocks from the studio. Got a queen bed for about $240 including tax and you get breakfast. Nothing fancy but with just me I don't need much room. The room with a double bed looks like there was about 6 inches between the bed and the tv/dresser. Reminded me of a room I stayed in Chicago with 3 relatives and I would never stay in a room that small again! For $20 more at least I got a little leg room.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I checked out the Hotel Pennsylvania when I was going to the Westminster dog show and decided not to stay there because it didn't get very good reviews. Ended up just making it a day trip.

The only time we have stayed overnight we got a discount rate at the Waldorf Astoria - that was a treat. Got the room for about $400 a night which was a great special.

BriarRose0708
08-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I've stayed at the Marriott near Times Square which was nice and fairly affordable. The best place I've ever stayed mid-town was The Essex House. We have an annual event there for work and get to stay in the guest rooms. It's a very old, historic, and well known hotel with amazing accommodations and the location is incredible- right on Central Park down the block from the Plaza Hotel. The price, however... let's just say I am glad my employer pays for it!