PDA

View Full Version : London 2012: Summer Olympics!

SBETigg
07-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Do we not have an Olympics thread? I looked and didn't see one- should it be in Locker Room? It's both sports and TV special entertainment, so I wasn't sure.

I love the Olympics! My favorite summer events are the gymnastics and swimming events, but I always get caught up in other things I never knew I would enjoy watching. Like archery. Or diving. Beach volleyball. Those silly swim caps the water polo people wear. We have an athlete there from my town, rowing.

I felt so happy for Aly Raisman last night and so sad for Jordyn Wieber (women's gymnastics). Did anyone see the video of Aly's parents reacting to her bar routine? Funny.

Scar
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Well, since the thread about London winning the games was in The Loccker Room, I think I'll put this one there too.

Make sure to wear shoes when going in there.

Zawadi
07-30-2012, 05:08 PM
We watched the live broadcast of the opening ceremony on TV. Thought that the staging of the Industrial Revolution was fantastic with the forging of the Olympic Rings. We finally got to bed at 1:30am to get up at 6am to head to Wembley Arena for the afternoon session of Badminton group qualifiers.

Can't wait until we go back to London for the semi-finals of the Beach Volleyball on 07 Aug.

SBETigg
07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
I loved the opening ceremonies, too, I just wish I had been able to watch it on BBC. The NBC commentators (Matt and Meredith) would not shut up and let it unfold for us. No details were left undiscussed ad nauseum.

Kairi_7378
07-30-2012, 07:07 PM
I've been waiting for this thread, too. Thanks for starting it. I love the Olympics.

We watched Aly's parents last night, and I was a little frightened. Aly loved it, though :)

Ian
07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I love the Olympics. I'm one who's actually thrilled that it's gone to alternating two years for the Games so we don't have to wait as long.

While I prefer the Winter Games, I do like the swimming, diving, and gymnastics of the Summer Games a lot.

USA! USA!

Melanie
07-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Rough day. :(

SBETigg
07-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Rough day. :(

Oh yeah. Wow.

BriarRose0708
07-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Don't mean to spoil this for anyone but woa, not the results I had wanted for men's team final. I hope tomorrow night is better for the ladies!

I wish we could get BBC or even CTV (Canadian channel) here so I can watch a more un-biased broadcast. Feels to me like all that airs on NBC are USA matches and they didn't even show most of the other seven countries competing in men's gymnastics during the first two rotations. I'm not being unpatriotic, but to me the Olympics are about celebrating athleticism from around the world even if it means the "dominant" countries aren't making the podium. It makes me think Sam Eagle is running the broadcast room- A Salute to All Nations, But Mostly America.

JanetMegan
07-31-2012, 08:36 AM
It makes me think Sam Eagle is running the broadcast room- A Salute to All Nations, But Mostly America.

Ha ha ha ha, but I totally agree, it sort of stinks that all we are seeing is mostly the Americans but then again we do live in America so...

I'm hopelessly addicted to the Olympics this time around. Although having most of the results spoiled before actually getting to watch is sort of a downer but then again it makes it easier to fast forward through some of the events. Thanks goodness for the DVR!

PirateLover
07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't like that you have to wait for the prime time edit to watch the biggest events. There are about 10 channels showing all sorts of things, but they won't show the biggies live because they want to inflate their numbers. I've watched some events on live streaming but it's frustrating because it cuts out, freezes etc.

I was not a big fan of the opening ceremonies. I thought everything up to the Industrial Revolution was OK but the pop culture blitz was a schizophrenic let down. The inane banter only made it worse. I couldn't believe it when they said "And here's Madagascar, made famous by some recent movies featuring talking animals" :confused:

SBETigg
07-31-2012, 12:41 PM
The inane banter only made it worse. I couldn't believe it when they said "And here's Madagascar, made famous by some recent movies featuring talking animals" :confused:

The banter was terrible. Really eye-rolling at times, and occasionally insulting, as you observe. And it just never ended, the Matt-Meredith dialogue. She even started singing along at one point. Unreal.

MizMissy
07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm really trying to enjoy these Olympic games but the SPOILERS are killing me!!!!

To avoid spoilers, you basically have to avoid any and all news sites on the web!

SBETigg
07-31-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm really trying to enjoy these Olympic games but the SPOILERS are killing me!!!!

To avoid spoilers, you basically have to avoid any and all news sites on the web!

And Twitter and Facebook.

MNNHFLTX
07-31-2012, 03:03 PM
I wish we could get BBC or even CTV (Canadian channel) here so I can watch a more un-biased broadcast. Feels to me like all that airs on NBC are USA matches and they didn't even show most of the other seven countries competing in men's gymnastics during the first two rotations. I'm not being unpatriotic, but to me the Olympics are about celebrating athleticism from around the world even if it means the "dominant" countries aren't making the podium. It makes me think Sam Eagle is running the broadcast room- A Salute to All Nations, But Mostly America.I agree--I wish we could see more of the competition between other countries and not just U.S. When I was young, I remember they used to show pretty much everything, but the number of events and athletes participating has increased and I'm sure it would be prohibitive to do that now. I do like that whatever event they are airing they are doing it in its entirety (for the most part). Coverage of past Olympics often jumped from event to event, showing just bits and pieces.

Favorites to watch this year--the bicycling road races, swimming, gymnastics and archery. I'm also looking forward to more of the kayaking and sailing competitions. Least favorite event--men's basketball. Nothing more boring, IMO, than watching a bunch of professional athetes dribble a ball around the court, pretending that they don't make millions of dollars doing that every day. I miss the amateur aspect of the Olympics.

Rhetoric2000
07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Really enjoying the Olympics so far - as always the sports that I only watch once in a while are the ones that I end up seeing the most (fencing, canoeing, judo etc).

Got to say that the BBC coverage has been nothing short of spectacular with interactive coverage meaning that literally every single event is shown live.

All that said if Britain don't win a Gold tomorrow (there are three good chances of us doing so) there are going to be a lot of people over here getting rather tetchy.

Think the US women's swim team has done a great job so far and achieved beyond the rather over-hyped mens squad. Congrats to your female gymnasts today also.

Least favorite event--men's basketball. Nothing more boring, IMO, than watching a bunch of professional athetes dribble a ball around the court, pretending that they don't make millions of dollars doing that every day. I miss the amateur aspect of the Olympics.

Agree completely. Basketball, Football/Soccer and most of all Tennis have absolutely no business in the Olympics. It's only going to get worse next time round with Golf (!!!!???) entering the mix.

For me, if winning gold in the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport, the sport has no place in the Olympics. End of discussion.

PirateLover
07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Overall, today was a GREAT day for TEAM USA!
The Women's gymnastics team was amazing. McKayla Maroney's vault... wow.

Also I don't care what anyone else says, Michael Phelps is amazing. I feel like I've been part of history just watching him over these past few Olympics. It's crazy how used to seeing him get the gold people became and some of the really mean stuff people have been saying on Twitter and Facebook about him being washed up and a disappointment. Glad to see him back on top once again. Hope he can get a few more!:thumbsup:

JanetMegan
08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
What kills me is that obviously ABC doesn't have the rights to the videos before they air at night on NBC yet that doesn't stop them from announcing every single result from the day in the first 30 seconds of the 7pm nightly news. I mean I haven't been going out of my way to avoid spoilers but still...sheesh.

SBETigg
08-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Overall, today was a GREAT day for TEAM USA!
The Women's gymnastics team was amazing. McKayla Maroney's vault... wow.

Also I don't care what anyone else says, Michael Phelps is amazing. I feel like I've been part of history just watching him over these past few Olympics. It's crazy how used to seeing him get the gold people became and some of the really mean stuff people have been saying on Twitter and Facebook about him being washed up and a disappointment. Glad to see him back on top once again. Hope he can get a few more!:thumbsup:

I can't figure out where they came up with anything to deduct from McKayla's vault. It should have been a perfect score. But, yeah, it was an awesome day, loved watching them win. And I can't imagine how anyone would be disappointed in Phelps. He's an incredible athlete, as his medals prove. I loved seeing the training clips of him with Allison Schmidt and their coach, so NBC finally gave me a smile in their dismal coverage. More behind-the-scenes, less Ryan Seacrest would be fine with me.

PirateLover
08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I agree about the vault. I don't pretend to be some kind of judge but with the naked eye I was so taken aback with how good it was, and then it looked even better in slow-mo! That was the most flawless vault I have ever seen. She had great air, form looked great, and schooled everyone on what it means to stick a landing! After their rotation at vault you knew they were going to have a great night!

Zawadi
08-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Loving the coverage of the Olympics but find it hard to watch the 24 live streams from the BBC.

Loving the badminton, except for last night's match throwing antics but glad that those involved were disqualified, beach volleyball & white water canoe. With the indoor cycling to come - go Victoria Pendleton & Chris Hoy!!

MNNHFLTX
08-01-2012, 06:42 PM
What kills me is that obviously ABC doesn't have the rights to the videos before they air at night on NBC yet that doesn't stop them from announcing every single result from the day in the first 30 seconds of the 7pm nightly news. I mean I haven't been going out of my way to avoid spoilers but still...sheesh.
Spoilers don't bother me very much. Even as I watch the taped coverage I know that I'm not watching it live, so the suspense is already kind of gone, you know? But it's still fun to see what happens.

Hammer
08-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Enjoying the Olympics so far. I kind of can't escape it, as I work for the company that is now the majority owner of NBC Universal. It is even on in our elevators! You think Ryan Seacrest is annoying for the Olympics, think of if he emceed your company wide meeting :D ! I think US networks in general all do the same style of broadcasting for the Olympics, which I think is part of the problem.

I'm in the minority, but I am not a fan of women's gymnastics. Love watching the men's, though. So happy for Danell Leyva. He is my definition of what the American dream is all about!

So glad UK won some gold yesterday (I :heart: Bradley Wiggins) !

Ian
08-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Came home from my son's football practice last night and saw my two neighbors, these older Indian women, playing badmitton in the street.

I couldn't help it .... :rotfl:

spiderkd
08-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I am enjoying the Olympics so much and I think London is doing a great job of hosting. It's also really made me want to get out there and try some of the featured sports.

In fact I went to a Velodrome this morning and tried my hand at track cycling... it's terrifying and totally amazing. Hopefully the motto of 2012 will hold true and it will 'Inspire a Generation' :rings:

SBETigg
08-04-2012, 11:01 AM
In fact I went to a Velodrome this morning and tried my hand at track cycling... it's terrifying and totally amazing. Hopefully the motto of 2012 will hold true and it will 'Inspire a Generation' :rings:

Wow, that's awesome. It looks pretty terrifying to me. Good for you for giving it a try, and what a lovely thought.

Rhetoric2000
08-04-2012, 05:43 PM
WOW!

Amazing night for the Great Britain squad. Truly historic and extraordinary scenes in the Olympic stadium. Can't quite believe I've watched it.

Six Gold Medals in one day is unthinkable for any country outside China and the US. Simply extraordinary.

Congratulations also to Phelps and the Women's 100m final medallists.

Now bring on some more cycling!!!!!!

spiderkd
08-04-2012, 06:58 PM
WOW!

Amazing night for the Great Britain squad. Truly historic and extraordinary scenes in the Olympic stadium. Can't quite believe I've watched it.

Six Gold Medals in one day is unthinkable for any country outside China and the US. Simply extraordinary.

Congratulations also to Phelps and the Women's 100m final medallists.

Now bring on some more cycling!!!!!!

Such an amazing day!!! Team GB are really putting the "Great" in Great Britain right now and as for Michael Phelps... well one medal of any colour is pretty impressive but he really smashed it out of the park - a very cool dude :cool:

Zawadi
08-05-2012, 04:36 AM
What a day of events during Sat 04 Aug.

Women's cycling team pursuit - WR smashed in both the semi and the final

Michael Phelps retires on such a high. A feat that will probably never be repeated.

African dominance of 10000m finally broken by Mo Farah & Galen Rupp.

The roar of the crowd in the athletics stadium was incredible during the last 45 minutes when Jess Ennis (Heptathlon), Greg Rutherford (Long Jump) & Mo Farah (10000m) all took gold for Team-GB.

The true nature of the games was shown by the Heptathletes as they all walked the victory lap and acknowledge the crowd. :rings:

Nascfan
08-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Great job for team Great Britain! That is wonderful to see for the host country.

TiggeRia
08-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm loving the Olympics, but boy am I having trouble staying up til midnight to watch the Prime Time Events...especially when I have to work in the morning! I wish they would start them an hour or two earlier.

Zawadi
08-08-2012, 07:23 AM
We won some tickets to watch the first semi-finals of the Beach Volleyball (07 Aug). The venue was fanstatic and the atmosphere electric.

The match between (USA) Misty May-Treanor & Kerri Walsh Jenning vs (China) Xue Chen and Zhang Xi was outstanding with the ball being retrieved from all over the court and long rallies. Final score 22-20, 22-20 to USA. We so wanted to see a deciding game

Melanie
08-08-2012, 07:47 AM
We won some tickets to watch the first semi-finals of the Beach Volleyball (07 Aug). The venue was fanstatic and the atmosphere electric.

The match between (USA) Misty May-Treanor & Kerri Walsh Jenning vs (China) Xue Chen and Zhang Xi was outstanding with the ball being retrieved from all over the court and long rallies. Final score 22-20, 22-20 to USA. We so wanted to see a deciding game

How exciting for you! It was great to watch on TV, so I'm sure in person was amazing. I love Misty and Kerri. Hopefully they can win it all. Of course, I'm happy to see an all-American final, but I'm not as enamored with Kessy and Ross. I've seen some glimpses of attitude from them that I don't really care for. :unsure:

Go Aly Raisman!!! She was amazing last night. That first tumbling pass on her floor routine was incredible. So happy for her! :rings: :bmedal:

BriarRose0708
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I can't wait for women's soccer and beach volleyball finals today!!!! I am trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible so I can enjoy it in Prime Time.

Zawadi
08-12-2012, 05:43 AM
The 2 week sports extravaganza is coming to an end. The final medals will be issued to day and the flame will be extinguished in around 12 hours time.

We've watch sports not normally televised (Evgeniya Kanaeva in the Rhythmic Gymnastics was in a league on her own), and witness huge releases of emotion by both victors and those that missed out on a medal.

We've been lucky enough to attend two events and the hosting and atmosphere was brilliant.

Now a short break until the para-olympics start on Aug 29.

Zawadi
08-12-2012, 06:25 PM
So it's over for 2012.

What did you think about the games and closing ceremony?

SBETigg
08-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Our NBC coverage cut Kate Bush, Muse, and the Who- yes The Who!- from the closing broadcast. Though they went to other programming and came back to show The Who after midnight. Unbelievably bad editing of the closing ceremony for the American audience. I'm still shaking my head. They didn't even carry it live and they couldn't figure out a better edit? NBC gets rotten tomatoes as their rating from me.

But I think the actual ceremonies were awesome and well done.

RAIDER
08-13-2012, 09:52 AM
So it's over for 2012.

What did you think about the games and closing ceremony?

The games were a success and many Londoners thought it was going to be an utter disaster ( me included ) with all the potential threat of tube strikes leading up to the games etc
I was really hooked on the archery of all things. Bolt and Mo Farrah were my highlights

I loved the opening ceremony ( Mr Bean the highlight as well as the torch lighting and its beautiful design.. Bond and the Queen added a lovely touch )

However the closing one was utterly disjointed the music was all over the place.. Also ,why did they get that idiot Russell Brand to perform !!! ... ( he will never be forgiven for ruining Arthur ) and hes just not really liked in the UK

I wished however they finished the night with John Lennons "imagine" rather than The WHO ... and i think it would be apt if Imagine was the song to close all Olympic closing ceremonies in future...

Also i just cant believe the American networks havent snapped up Michael Johnson as a pundit :confused: hes utterly brilliant :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
08-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I am sure the closing ceremonies in their entirety were amazing and I loved what I was able to see during NBC's broadcast. Sadly, "what I was able to see" wasn't much! NBC didn't even start their coverage of the actual ceremonies until 8:30 p.m. (they started at 7 with a "greatest moments" retrospective) and then at 11 they cut to a silly preview of a bad sitcom that premiers in the fall. WHAT? They cut just before one of the greatest bands of all time, The Who (not to mention MUSE, my favorite), and then expect us to tune back in at midnight? I don't think so. I went to bed! What's more, I can't find any of it online.

Thank goodness Rio is only one hour ahead of Eastern time! Bob Costas even acknowledged that it would "save us [at NBC] a lot of trouble" next time, referring to the blundering of virtually all their broadcasts on tape delay this time around. I am afraid of what will happen during Sochi in 2014, I may need to deactivate my Twitter and Facebook for two weeks to avoid spoilers!

SBETigg
08-13-2012, 12:22 PM
IThey cut just before one of the greatest bands of all time, The Who (not to mention MUSE, my favorite), and then expect us to tune back in at midnight? I don't think so. I went to bed! What's more, I can't find any of it online.

I was really disappointed in the Muse cut, too. They could have edited so much better-- and why would you cut the band who wrote the official 2012 Olympic song? That's so wrong. I like Muse, but they are my daughter's favorite, too, and she was waiting to see them and so let down. We watched them online later.