PDA

View Full Version : I have no interest in free dining, is it worth it to avoid those times in December?

frozman
07-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Hello everyone, I just discovered I can get $50-$60 airfares from Washington DC in December to Orlando, and thought I might try to go then, as I'm attending school in the spring and then going back to work so it will probably be the last time I can go for awhile. I went last year in mid-september and was baffled at how crowded it was (60 min for Rock N Roller Coaster on a Thursday...), and everyone claimed it was because of free dining.
The airline only flies to orlando Monday and Friday, (so probably a Mon-Mon or Fri-Fri trip, though at those prices I would consider a Mon-Fri if I had to), I was originally thinking Nov 30-Dec 7, but noticed free dining is good for arrivals Nov 23-Nov 29, which would mean that the free dining hunters would be able to arrive 1 day before hand, and be able to take advantage of that for the following few days.
Free dining is also good for arrivals Dec 10-Dec 13.
Does anyone think visiting Dec 3-Dec 10 that the crowds would be noticably less than the Nov 30-Dec 7 option?

faline
07-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Don't think there will be a significant difference in the crowds in either of the time frames you suggest. Crowds during this time of year tend to be moderate but quite manageable. We were there from the 9th - 16th last year and were very pleased with the level of crowds - we were able to do everything we wanted to and didn't expereince significant waits. We barely used fast pass at all but that was always an option - if needed.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2012, 09:25 AM
I agree! Free dining doesn't have a huge impact on crowds, just on restuarants.

I think it entices people to stay on-site (which fills up the resort rooms), but I've been during many periods of free-dining and not-free dining and didn't see a huge impact on crowds.

sorcerer fan
07-30-2012, 09:52 AM
If you decide on Nov30-dec7 be aware that they tape the christmas parade on the first weekend in dec. MK is a nono on those days. also pop warner cheering is around that time also